Stay Positive: Negative Spacecraft

By Quintin Smith on January 26th, 2011 at 6:17 pm.

I love this, but I’ll be frank. It does not feature a man being propelled through the air by his own anus*. I gather from the 47 comments on Icarus Proudbottom down there that you lot are big fans, and that’s fine. I mean, it’s not actually fine, but whatever. If you want some of that hot scatological jaculate action, you’ll find it below. If you want a cute, clever, tough-as-nails, hynotising browser game then that game is Negative Spacecraft from Paper Dino, him of Haiku Hero fame. Watch the trailer below.

Owing more than a little to legendary twotone Japanese shmup Ikaruga, Negative Spacecraft sees you navigating streams of black and white energy, swapping your ship between the two colours with a tap of the x button. But rather than just trying to survive, you’re also trying to charge and detonate your shield within range of the boss. This is tough. Very tough. You could not possibly be tough enough. You’ll have fun, though.

*You know, as opposed to being propelled through the air by somebody else’s anus.

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. Alex Bakke says:

No Faeces, NO SALE

• Quintin Smith says:

I AHTE YOU SO MUCH

• brulleks says:

Aw, but we olve you.

• Alex Bakke says:

I OLV- Damnit, Brulleks. I AHTE YOU SO MUCH

• Quintin Smith says:

STOP TALKING PALY THE GAME

• Alex Bakke says:

I really enjoyed the mechanic of bursting through each side, but so far I’ve yet to encounter a moment where the shield doesn’t charge up fast enough on it’s own for me to not need to slow down.

• Shih Tzu says:

Alex Bakke: Well, slowing down is also useful on its own just for fine control. But if you’re already a bullet-hell master, there’s always hard mode. (“Normal” mode was only included when testers complained it was too hard, so the developer said, “Fine, I’ll make it stupid easy and you’ll see how boring it is,” and the testers came back with, “Hey, cool, it’s fun now!”)

• Alex Bakke says:

Ah, cool cool. Yeah, I got to the second set of levels and that was when I needed to use slowdown, but it’s really fun right now and I’m on the last level – Hopefully hard won’t be *that* horrible to play.

• Edawan says:

I found it too hard on normal mode. :’(

• TeeJay says:

I also found “normal” too tricky – I am going to play this when I am wide awake and full of coffee.

I like the style/art and the switch/defence/attack mechanic, but I could do with a longer tutorial with longer pauses for me to read the text and longer to get used to the buttons.

2. brulleks says:

Tried it, didn’t enjoy it. Osrry.

3. Shih Tzu says:

I like the protagonist’s loopy explanations of his ideas after he’s successfully retrieved them! He sounds so pleased with himself.

• Gpig says:

That was pretty good. I was just playing ikaruga today so it’s weird for this to be posted. Good game. I ended up playing more for the funny thought at the end and it didn’t end up sucking nearly an hour of my time like Icarus.

4. PleasingFungus says:

Also worth noting that he made Boss Rush. I’d been following development of Negative Spacecraft for a while, and even though shmups aren’t really my thing, it does seem pretty interesting!

but no poop so no play

• Montoli says:

Actually the game contains a surprising amount of poop! it is just that the black and white color scheme makes it difficult to tell some times what is poop and what is empty space.

• Shih Tzu says:

And in the game!

5. Wilson says:

Almost, Quintin, almost. Still, you did your best.

6. Veracity says:

This is quite well done. Only complaint at a quick glance would be I’d like more leeway to fudge the colour switch – it’s so easy to get yourself blowed up attempting that it seems usually easier not to bother unless you absolutely must. But then you could spam it to be basically invulnerable so it’d need a cool down and meh, I dunno what I’m thinking.

Probably owes more to Shoot the Bullet, which you should try if you liked this, suppressing any antipathy towards creepy flying little girls beforehand if necessary. That and Double Spoiler, which is roughly the same game with different kaleidopuke. Sadly both available only to importers and pirates, as far as I know, since I don’t think either got a demo.

• squidlarkin says:

Yeah, basically all the mechanics of this except the (quite cleverly executed) color switching are straight out of Shoot the Bullet, so anyone who loves this kind of charge-and-shoot gameplay (and can handle hard mode) should really seek it out.

• Montoli says:

Yeah, I usually describe the game as “the drunken love-child of Ikaruga and Shoot the Bullet”. It is very possible that this is just because I like saying “drunken love child” more than is healthy. I definitely owe a heavy design debt to Shoot the Bullet though. ZUN has done some neat takes on shmups lately!

7. Shadram says:

I like the look of this, but it’s on a site called “Addicting Games”, so I will never play it. What’s happening to the English language? :(

8. bill says:

I always wanted to play ikaruga.
    I guess it’d work on the wii.. maybe i should try it.

9. LozTaylor says:

Not enough making boom booms.

10. spelvin spugg says:

You know, this is a free game and the programmer put work into it and that’s nice.

But this whole “original mechanic” thing has started to get old. It got old a real long time ago. Half the time, the so-called “original mechanic” is contrived and itself derivative of other, superior games. And then, half the time it’s Ikaruga. Or flying around on two screens.

This isn’t something I would personally spend time on playing. It’s the whole opportunity cost thing.

Seems to me that a whole new crowd have gotten into this field. My guess is that they’re artistes with a burning desire to make games but little to no coding ability. Then they learn some Flash and then they start promoting their derivative, yawn-inducing and substandard product to the hilt. They do this the way these same people make derivative, yawn-inducing indie rock.

Bring something new to the table or, frankly, stay home.

• Shih Tzu says:

That’s true, this game certainly demonstrates little to no coding ability. In fact, I’m starting to suspect there’s no code there at all!

11. Jonathan says:

Oh now, spelvin spugg (if that even is your real name, which I doubt), there’s nothing wrong with an Ikaruga-style shooter. It may not be an original mechanic, but it’s a FUN mechanic.

Though my favourite Ikaruga clone is IKA mode in Kenta Cho’s rRootage.