Oh, Ubisoft: Torrented Their Own Music?

By John Walker on March 16th, 2011 at 12:00 pm.

Are we under arrest?

Ubisoft, you do like making mistakes. The publisher’s strange habit of incorporating piracy into their products seems to have reared once more. Remember back in 2008 when they thought it would be a good idea to officially patch Rainbow Six Vegas 2 with an illegal NO-CD crack? Today Eurogamer brings us news that those copyright infringing scamps may have been at it again. This time it looks like they’ve included a torrented version of their own soundtrack in the Digital Deluxe Edition of Assassin’s Creed: Brotherhood on PC.

The proof comes from the internet’s infinite source of information, Reddit. It seems the mp3s that come with a Brotherhood pre-order were originally encoded as FLAC files by one arsa13. If the Reddit user is right, Ubisoft then apparently converted them to mp3 and stuck them on the game.

Which seems an odd thing to have done, since surely they’d have the original master version of their own OST from which to generate mp3s? Clearly some well ripped FLACs are going to be of the highest quality, so a good source if someone wanted a top-notch version. But perhaps not the ideal choice by the major publisher who makes the loudest, stupidest noises about piracy. Could this really be the second time Ubisoft has sold pirated material in its DRM-afflicted products?

Eurogamer says that Ubisoft are now investigating the matter. Mix up? Incorrect information from Reddit? Moment of madness by a silly employee? Piracy rife amongst Ubisoft? If you’ve pre-ordered a copy of Assassin’s Creed: Brotherhood, let us know if your mp3s are equally dodgy.

, , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. subedii says:

Are they really that lazy that they couldn’t use their own freaking source files? Or is it just that getting authorisation for the official files was a drawn out process and they decided to… bend… the rules a little? Or was it just not a priority on the PC port altogether and they felt it’d be OK to bodge things together?

For that matter, why did they even re-encode in MP3 when it was already available in FLAC anyway?

As for Ubisoft in general, I pretty much gave up on them when their DRM refused to run on Prince of Persia: The Two Thrones, and I ended up having to get a second, Steam copy just to finally play it.

Wasn’t really worth the effort in the end either. Since then I’ve largely decided there are other games out there that I can spend my money on that actually have a good chance of working.

• wild_quinine says:

And if by ‘pretty much gave up on them’, you mean ‘paid them twice’, then good job.

• subedii says:

Or alternatively that a friend gifted me a copy when it was on sale. Heaven forbid I actually wanted to play that final game in the trilogy.

And yes, after having to do that, I gave up on Ubisoft. I don’t see that I was unclear about that. I also wanted to play AC1 and 2, but like I said, that whole business pretty much left a sour taste in my mouth.

Anything else you’d care to make a sad attempt at being sardonic about?

• Recidivist says:

Fail attempt to troll left you looking like a tard. He was quite clear that he gave up after having to pay twice. More ready, less trolly plx.

• HexagonalBolts says:

Woah Recidivist, you’re in the rather lovely polite and sophisticated comments section of RPS, none of that fail-troll-tard-plx-ery here!

• Dances to Podcasts says:

I don’t know, Hex. Something tells me he might do it again sometime.

• Wulf says:

What a shame.

2. Jetsetlemming says:

Lol.

• kyrieee says:

LOL, or lol – never Lol

• Tyshalle says:

Unless you’re texting. Stupid dumbphones automatically capitalize for you.

• db1331 says:

lOl

• Schmouddle says:

@db1331:

This looks like a image sign for MRE, Meal, Ready to Eat. Except IRL you don’t get the plate and utensils. Just plastic stuff wrapped in plastic bag.

• perestroika says:

LOL = Lownloading of Lorrents.

sorry.
      my excuse is no sleep.

Joshua says:

You are actually allowed to say “Lol” if you happen to be dutch.

• Dozer says:

LOL indeed. This story really did make me laugh a lot.

• minipixel says:

I join the lolfest!

• TsunamiWombat says:

I believe the proper form of lol as a single phrase sardonic response meant to illustrate the humourness nature of a situation is infact, “Lawl”.

3. Jannakar says:

Since Ubisoft is the copyright holder they are not infringing their own copyright. If arsa13 wants to try and claim copyright on his derivative work he would be welcome to try, however he would need to identify him/herself in court and then would be counter-sued to oblivion

• Deano2099 says:

But it’s a torrent, so if download off of Ubisoft while they’re seeding parts of the soundtrack (which they’d have to be to download it, as that’s how torrents work) is it still piracy?

• mojo says:

actually, you can download via torrent without seeding. but i think its not the case here anyway.

• Jannakar says:

Hmm, good question; if somebody knew that the IP address that they were downloading from belonged to a IP block owned by Ubi then the downloader might be able to claim that Ubi are distributing the data and therefore have given consent to distribution.

Bit of a long shot, difficult to prove but worth a punt if you happened to be dragged before the beak. I can’t say that I know about tort law to say one way or another.

• jonfitt says:

Actually @mojo, while you do not have to seed (provide the network with a full copy of the file(s) you have downloaded), in getting the file(s) you will (because of the way BitTorrent works) have shared a lot of the pieces of the file(s) potentiality the whole file many times over, to other people.

So in downloading a file using BitTorrent you are indeed also sharing it with other people even if you don’t seed at the end.

• Nidokoenig says:

There’s no reason to believe that Ubisoft got this directly from the original torrent(they’re not exactly zealous about going straight to the source), and it’s unlikely they’d have torrent software on their work computers, anyway. More likely, they grabbed it from Rapidshare or something after someone re-upped it. Although, I do quite like the idea of a Ubisoft office with their big, fat, interweb tubes flooding the interweb with pirated Ubisoft music.

• TillEulenspiegel says:

For obvious reasons, most BitTorrent clients don’t let you switch off upload. But it’s entirely possible protocol-wise: just pretend to have nothing and ignore piece requests.

You’ll still be able to finish the download, just slower than usual, since most torrent clients prioritize based on how much you’re sharing with them. Upload more to them, they’ll upload more to you. As long as you’re patient, you *can* be a pure leecher on a torrent.

• Deano2099 says:

If Ubisoft were careless enough to get the file from a torrent, but careful enough to switch off seeding first, I’d be well impressed :D

It was more a philosophical than legal question to be honest.

• bob_d says:

@Jannakar: “The interesting this is how fucked up things in Ubisoft are if it is easier to use bittorrent than to get the original masters from within the same company.”
      Ubisoft isn’t alone in this, I’m afraid. It’s happened more than once within other companies. It’s quite common with port work (especially for older games), where you’re working for another company – assuming the other company even has the files anymore, they have little incentive to go to the effort to dig them up once the contract has been signed.

4. DanPryce says:

TUT TUT TUT

5. darthmajor says:

As an aside, brotherhood already managed to be all over the internets, with working crack and all. It’s almost as if ubi were TRYING to get pirated as much as they can, so they can cry later about piracy and enforce crazy DRMs…all the while being the biggest hypocrits in the history of the universes.

AC2 was an incredible game, such a shame it’s DRM was more famous than the game…

• Barnaby says:

I’m playing through AC1 right now as I just got it on that Ubisoft sale on Steam last week. I’m actually enjoying it quite a bit, but the game seems to lack a bit of depth. The jumping could be more difficult, the combat could be a little deeper, stuff like that.

I’m sure they’ve made some of these things better in AC2 and Brotherhood but there’s no way in hell I’m touching that shit until the game is so old that they remove the always-on-internet-DRM garbage.

Btw, this turn of events is hilarious and awesome.

• JohnnyK says:

AC1 is very shallow and especially repetitive compared to AC2; missions barely change between memory blocks in AC1, while AC2 has much more variety. Both are pretty easy games too, especially with keyboard & mouse; you only really ever run into trouble if the character decides to repeatedly run up that bare wall 2 inches to the right of that lovely ladder…
      Combat with NPCs is a bit flat in both of them; no matter how many opponents, just stay on defense and counter their attacks, and there is virtually no way to lose. AC2 also has medikits, so that makes it even easier.
      On the whole though, both are entertaining (with AC2 quite a bit ahead though), and I am eagerly awaiting the AC:B multiplayer.

• DrGonzo says:

I actually found AC2 to be more repetitive and dull than the first, which I quite enjoyed. AC2 did add new stuff to do, but not all that much and it felt incredibly similar to the first which I had already burned out on. Also, was I the only one who found them both way, way too easy to be much fun?

• JohnnyK says:

My good doctor, they were definitely easy. Both of them, but AC2 even moreso due to the medkits, although any mission with a timer in AC1 was way too easy.

As for the repetitiveness – IMHO AC1’s memory blocks all had the exact same layout. It also didn’t help that they felt weird (eg the escort missions – why does that escorted assassin suddenly act like a sissy?) or that a lot of the dialogue was recycled (every time you saved a citizen for example)

6. ReV_VAdAUL says:

Much like right wing homophobic politicians often turning out to be gay all this proves is that the temptation to do wrong is so strong in this messed up sinful world of ours even innocent little Ubisoft strayed from the path. DAMN YOU PIRATES! YOU LEAD GOOD PEOPLE ASTRAY!

• sinister agent says:

I read this as “Ubisoft are gay sky pirates”, and I don’t care what you actually said.

Paging Robert De Niro….

• Wulf says:

Humour, I know, but…

If all goes right, pirates are definitely leading people to a far better future for everyone involved. They have to be, because as I’ve said before… the alternatives are just too horrible to consider and wouldn’t be worlds that anyone who gives a damn about their rights would want to live in.

Thankfully, the people who actually make content (especially independents) seem to be catching on. And those who don’t, usually large publishers, will hopefully go the way of the dinosaur. It’s only a matter of time.

This is certainly interesting to watch, though. I wish I could skip ahead 50 years or so to see how it all turns out. I can’t help but imagine that we’ll be telling small children about how the free sharing of ideas often lead to scary people in black suits turning up at doors, the IP bogeymen, so to speak.

And those little kids will be disbelieving. After all, how could a world like that have existed? It sounds too stupid to be real.

• bob_d says:

The irony is that game developers (publishers might be another story) are some of the biggest pirates copyright violators. In my experience, gaming start-ups usually don’t have licenses for all the software they use, reference material (whether it be games, movies, music, comics, books, concept art, etc.) is freely stored on and shared over the company network, and many games start off development with “placeholder” assets from other games (that very occasionally “accidentally” end up in the final game). The film and music industries are frankly even worse, with CEOs and other managers/producers collecting huge numbers of films/songs “for research purposes.” Really no one within the relevant industries gives much thought to copying someone else’s work within their job roles.
      Plus there are times when the files you’re supposed to get (either from another branch of your company or a company for whom you’re doing work) aren’t forthcoming and you have to resort to “pirate” downloads to get access to them. This frequently happens with game ports.

• Deano2099 says:

Is people mentioning this in every single comment thread some sort of wryly ironic statement?

• Hoaxfish says:

yea, that’s got very little to do with this article (other than being on reddit).

• skinlo says:

This has no relevance.

7. Alexander Norris says:

Hopefully, this is an act of sabotage by someone high up in Ubisoft who hates the DRM. :P

stahlwerk says:

The pirates made them do it!

Joshua says:

He was the one that put them in a torrent in the first place :P.

• Wulf says:

That would be poetic. I’d like to hold some hope that there’s any decency left in Ubisoft, too.

I loved them at one point – and how could I not? Beyond Good & Evil, Sands of Time, and all that good stuff. There was a time when they were one of my favourite mainstream developers for doing odd things, and then everything went down the sinkhole (in so many ways).

Personally I’d love to see Ubisoft reborn as the Ubi of yore, perhaps a number of key people breaking off to form their own development studio. Going indie. Which so many good developers seem to be doing, these days.

• jeremypeel says:

What’s so different about Ubisoft 2011 in comparison to Ubisoft 2001? Beyond Good and Evil was the exception, not the rule. Ubisoft has been very good, for a long time, at making lovely big budget action games and repetitive expandalones (previously expansions). In fact some of their recent reinventions, like those of Ghost Recon and Rainbow Six, have been far more inventive than anything happening in those franchises for a long time previously.

Ubisoft Montreal, and Paris, continue to regularly produce great games, whilst making slack film license titles on the sly.

That’s how they have rolled, and currently roll, and will presumably continue to roll. Wheee!

8. GoodPatton says:

I was just saying yesterday to a friend how I used to have such tremendous respect for Ubisoft many years ago but in the past years they’ve fallen from grace and fallen fast. There seems to be some big problems with the studio these days.

9. Ravenger says:

Perhaps they’ll now use the pirate crack for AC2 to supply the much demanded offline mode. After all, they’ve supplied pirate produced files to paying customers twice now. ;-)

10. Mr_Initials says:

AHAHA and I just bought this yesterday

11. MMMMMONTYKILL says:

This from the company whose solution to Starforce problems with Silent Hunter III was to ask the customer to download a crack. They don’t even host the file themselves, they ask the customer to search the internet for it!

• subedii says:

That’s… pretty impressively stupid.

“We fully acknowledge our DRM implementation is unmitigated tripe, so search for this crack in order to get rid of it and be able to play the game.”

• Dozer says:

That’s the forum zookeeper talking. Is he even an Ubi employee?

• MMMMMONTYKILL says:

Yes. But even if she was a volunteer Ubisoft would still be responsible for the advice given by an Ubisoft representative in a sticky thread in their game’s official forum.

12. Tei says:

Ubisoft is truly full of shit. Feel the need to lead all the anti-customers campaings, … like if that is a good thing, feel not shame in that…. thats already very sad at itself. But seems can’t really do his own work withouth using cracks, warez or torrent sites. While everyone else seems to be mostly clean from that.

• Dances to Podcasts says:

Might be a good idea for one of our more journalistic games journalists to write a post mortem about this. Who came up with this idea? Who approved it? What were the internal discussions like? What’s behind these torrent/crack fuckups? Internal sabotage, maybe? Must be great to have a look in the kitchen there.

13. eduh says:

what? they own the music rights to the music. how is it illegal? lol

using torrent to share files was never illegal either.

14. Navagon says:

The only entertainment Ubisoft has left to offer PC gamers is found in their escapades. As a PC games publisher they may as well not bother.

15. Moni says:

Those ID3 tags are terrible, it just says “laziness”. Not only did they neglect to clear the comment field, they left the artist’s name in the title field and didn’t fill the track field.

• Wulf says:

This is entertaining. I theorised that this was the case just a few replies above, I wish I’d read down this far so I’d seen that someone had posted about that first.

Yeah, really not surprised at that. Not surprised by any of this, really.

People of Old Ubisoft, I know you’re still in there, get out while you can.

• aerozol says:

Urghh… Everybody, tag your music properly.
      Such a pet hate of mine.

16. DaftPunk says:

This is just sad haha :D

17. DJ Phantoon says:

Once again, Ubisoft shows it supports the hard work of pirates everywhere!

18. kwyjibo says:

Wouldn’t be surprising. Email a load of purple, navigate corporate bureaucracy our just get the pirate version? Shame that they forgot to remove the metadata.

19. Javier-de-Ass says:

This metadata is in the OST I downloaded from Gamersgate yesterday.

20. Unaco says:

So… the message I’m taking from this (and their previous use of No-CD cracks for R6V2 and SHIII) is that the Pirates produce a product far superior to any that Ubi could hope to offer, and Ubi accept and admit this. If that is not the case, and Ubi care about their customers, and as we keep getting told Pirates products are vastly inferior to legitimate products, then surely Ubi would do their own work.

• Chucrute says:

Substitute the word product by service and you’ll be spot on.

Malibu Stacey says:

Yeah the pirates put months if not years of time into developing Assassins Creed Brotherhood.

Right?

Get a grip.

21. Hmm-Hmm. says:

I guess there’s a reason they are so highly opposed to piracy.. they can’t even stop their own employees from doing it!

Seriously. Make up your mind, Ubisoft!

22. JohnnyMaverik says:

Does this mean Ubisoft are going to take themselves to court and in so doing collapse the space-time continuum? Bastards -_-

23. Eclipse says:

I don’t really see any scandal or weirdness, they have the rights over that music, so what’s the problem if they download a convenient .flac rip of the in-game musics and sell it it’s not like this arsa13 composed the pieces himself.
    They were dumb to keep the comment but I don’t see such drama in patching a game with a cracked exe or releasing mp3s converted from a flac rip…

• JohnnyMaverik says:

I think it’s more the hypocrisy rather than a belief that Ubisoft have done anything legally or morally wrong by pirating their own stuff.

• subedii says:

Pretty much. You can’t keep your cake and eat it. If they’re going to decry the people who make these cracks, then that pretty obviously means

a) Not use those cracks themselves and

b) Not tell OTHER people to use these cracks when it suits them.

Both of which they have done, and supports the actions of the very crackers they’re constantly decrying. There’s no two ways about it. And it follows suit with being ridiculously hypocritical.

This latest one is just as much, if not more so. Because in order to GET those flac files, they would have needed to seed them as well. Gee, enabling piracy in themselves.

Sorry, if you can’t even see that that’s “weird” as you put it, then we’ve got different definitions of what that term means.

• Lilliput King says:

Subedii: Surely that depends on what Ubi actually rail against. If they’re against people using cracks, fair enough, what you said applies and there is surely hypocrisy at work. If they’re just against people playing games they haven’t paid for, then there is no contradiction and hence no hypocrisy. And which one of these are Ubi more likely to be upset about, here?

• subedii says:

Ubisoft, like most major publishers, are vehemently against cracks, for pretty obvious reasons. Or at least they were the last time I tried to get PoP:TTT working.

Which of course, won’t stop them from using those same cracks themselves on occasion it seems.

So yeah, I’ve got no hesitation in calling Ubisoft blatant hypocrites, especially when they’re some of the worst offenders for non-functioning DRM that locks paying customers out of their products. Although that last bit’s just my experience with them.

• subedii says:

Ubisoft, like most major publishers, are vehemently against cracks for pretty obvious reasons. Or at least they were the last time I tried to get PoP:TTT working.

• Wulf says:

@Lilliput King

You’re making a case that a corporate entity makes a distinction between ‘pirates’ and ‘crackers,’ which is a point that I find cute and somewhat naive. If you have any evidence that this is the case, I’d like to see it. The truth is more likely that they see both as one gooey whole of nastiness and denigrate the whole lot of it. I’d be willing to bet cash-money that they’ve got interviews that say as much, too.

So the hypocrisy stands, as entertaining as it is. Essentially, they view piracy and all things related with it as a gooey mass of nastiness, and therefore something that they want nothing to do with. Yet as their public face is telling people that piracy and everything to do with piracy is bad (this includes crackers, which are obviously bundled in with piracy), their employees are using and endorsing cracking.

There is hypocrisy here, and we really shouldn’t have apologists cooking up excuses for them. Let them do that. Perhaps RPS should get Ubisoft on the horn and ask if they differentiate between piracy and crackers, and whether they actually support crackers and cracks. It would be interesting (and potentially entertaining), if nothing else.

• Lilliput King says:

Wulf: Honestly, I doubt Ubi know or could recognise the difference between cracks and piracy. I imagine you’re right on that front. Being my usual tiresome pedant, though, there isn’t really hypocrisy involved unless Ubi have condemned cracks in isolation of piracy. Denouncing both cracks AND piracy is insufficient, as what they’ve done (while unbelievably stupid and actually quite rude – they could’ve at least credited the guy) doesn’t involve both issues. Otherwise we’re blurring the cracking/piracy issues, which isn’t ideal. The gaming community are supposed to be the ones who know about this shit, after all. edit: See the responses above and below this post that talk about Ubi using ‘pirated’ files.

It’d be really, really interesting to read Ubi’s company line on cracks in isolation of piracy. Obviously it’d almost certainly be disappointing, but it might add a layer of sophistication to UbiDRM debates. I doubt RPS want to be associated with either cracks or piracy, though, which is understandable given their controversy.

• DrGonzo says:

I agree, there isn’t really any hypocrisy here at all, and this suggests they don’t oppose cracks separate of piracy.

Also supporting that view would be the fact that they used a crack as a patch previously.

I can feel a pain in my chest as I type this, but I really don’t see a problem with all this; as much as I dislike Ubisoft for various reasons, this isn’t one of them. In my opinion RPS shouldn’t be covering this story in this way.

• subedii says:

Um, those two examples you gave are precisely what I was referring to when I said hypocrisy.

24. Shadrach says:

There actuelly is a torrent with this on Demonoid from user ‘arsa13′. I’d link it but don’t think the powers that be would like it :)

25. hamster says:

It’s not quite hypocritical – but it is ironic.

26. Gvaz says:

It’s not about “it doesn’t matter, they own it anyways” but reflects poorly on them if they’re going to complain about piracy then include or tell their users to use pirated files or even include them.

Why cant they include their own masters of things?

Perhaps games need to go the way of NIN cds.

• dogsolitude_uk says:

I found a copy of The Fragile behind the piano in the hallway this morning. It was a bit dusty, but still useable. If I start finding copies of Assassin’s Creed 2 and DA:O in the same place I’ll remember that it was your idea to put them there.

• DrGonzo says:

That seems like a misunderstanding of piracy if you ask me.

If I have bought a game, album or film, I can then torrent it perfectly legally as I own it. That is essentially what they are doing. It’s not that far detached from downloading a game you own from Steam.

Yes Ubisoft are a bit dodge, but stop having a go at them for insane reasons that make no sense.

27. Overlai says:

They should have put some DRM on it first.

28. laddyman says:

Ubisoft gets more ham-handed and dumb every passing day.

29. Wulf says:

Schadenfreude, kob. They seem to hate so much on their customers due to every customer being potential pirates, and then Ubisoft turn to piracy in order to fulfill their own needs.

And there’s no telling. It could’ve been from Torrent or any number of file sharing sites, like Rapidshare and whatnot. The way to tell it was pirated? Often pirates tag files with the name of the piracy group in question. Those tags were likely still present. I wouldn’t put that sort of incompetence past Nu Ubisoft.

30. dogsolitude_uk says:

This is terrible. This is the WORST THING EVER.

I mean, what’s to stop them downloading a torrent of one of their games, and then GOING BACK IN TIME TO RELEASE IT?

Software companies must be forced to make DRM FOR EACH OTHERS GAMES to stop them doing this (somehow), and preserve causality and irony as we know it, or spacetime WILL CEASE TO EXIST.

Or something.

31. dragonhunter21 says:

I’m not mad, Ubisoft. I’m just disappointed.

32. FRIENDLYUNIT says:

Hmmm. I suspect someone needs to find the people who make decisions in ubisoft and explain the piracy thing to them slowly and in simple words so they know what it is, how it effects them and what appropriate responses might be.

33. V. Profane says:

Guess what else is free Ubi? Mp3tag!

34. Kadayi says:

I love it how conjecture constitutes news these days.

Malibu Stacey says:

Same.
      It’s also nice to see how overinflated the average gamers sense of entitlement is just by reading comments threads around these parts.

35. 0graham0 says:

It’s also possible that the legal and corporate masterminds keep making stupid DRM/piracy policies and your day-to-day worker on the development team does whatever the heck needs to get done to finish the game. who knows maybe it’s the same kind of disgruntled protest that led to the simcopter friday the 13th gay day (although not as obvious and direct)

36. Radiant says:

Jesper Kyd is a boss.

We need an interview… get on the case rps.

37. Bungle says:

What if that torrent originated at Ubisoft? What if big publishers leak their stuff on purpose so they can plant chips in our heads and kill our children? What if those music files were taken from internal Ubisoft computers because they were created there?

38. adonf says:

I can see a few reasons for this to happen:

1.a The CDs with the music are lost, the guy in charge of the music downloads FLAC (lossless) versions off the intertubes;
    1.b The music is on unmarked CDs in one of the cabinets in the audio department, guy in charge decides to torrent it instead of spending 2 years testing every unmarked CD.
    2.a Guy in charge of the music can’t be bothered to go through all the internal bureaucracy to get the original CDs (which could be on another continent) and rapishares the files.
    2.b Music guy makes an official request, waits for a few weeks, gets no reply by milestone day (maybe because the music guy at Ubi China is in case number one, or maybe because that’s what happens in corporations, requests get unanswered until you resubmit them a few times), internets the music.
    3. Music guy is arsa13

In all cases, it’s just one guy cutting through corners. It’s not a corporate decision so no need to make a bid deal about it, although it’s still funny.

39. sexyresults says:

retarded company that makes boring games