Khorney Dialogue: Space Marine Does Chaos

By Alec Meer on March 22nd, 2011 at 7:05 pm.

Die by the tongue. Sorry, sword.

The good news about Relic’s upcoming Warhammer 40,000 manshoot keeps on getting gooder. First, THQ reversed their decision to not release it on PC. Then Quinns came away from an early preview with a much bigger spring in his step than we expected. Now we hear that it won’t, as had previously been hinted, be merely a matter of bashing/stabbing/boltering Orks until they’re all dead. The Space Marines’ gnarly arch-nemeseseseses Chaos will be showing up too. Nicely-rendered blood for the blood god!

Chaos 101, in case you’re not a 40K gonk: they’re as close as this sci-fi universe comes to an archetypal evil. Space Marines turned to the dark side, replete with mutations, demon allies and all manner of dark mysticism. They’re divided between four gods – bloodythirsty Khorne, the changeling Tzeentch, plaguetastic Nurgle and kinky Slaanesh. No word yet on which sliver of Chaos is to appear in Space Marine, but the released screens so far suggest a mix of the lot with a slight emphasis on Khorne.

The scoop on the bad lads’ appearance in Space Marine went to Destructoid, which is surely a Chaos-aligned site if ever there was one. In addition to a short interview detailing the role Chaos play in the game, there are more, and higher-res pics, over there. C

onfirmed so far are Chaos Space Marines, Bloodletters (the sexy chap in the top screenshot), Psykers and Renegade Guard. I will be enormously surprised if there isn’t some manner of gigantic, Chaos themed end-game boss or suchlike as well.

Relic had previously claimed they didn’t want to feature Chaos because their frontline troops are essentially the mirror of Space Marines in terms of ability, so they’d gone for shoving loads of Orkish cannon fodder in front of Ultramarine protagonist Captain Titus instead. Turns out they were fibbing, and in fact enthuse that “while Titus can fight 30+ Orks at once, fighting 2 or 3 Chaos Space Marines presents a serious challenge.”

I would like to play the video game called Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine. There, I said it. To be honest, I’m much more keen on this than I am on the 40K MMO that’s also in the works, as laying down the ultrobiff directly rather than worrying about experience points and loot seems a better way to realise the fiction. Then again, we’ve seen very, very little of either game, so you shouldn’t believe a word I say.

, , .

1. Bilbo says:

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

best news I’ve heard all day

2. Conor says:

Wububububububububa!!!!

3. ezekiel2517 says:

So, can this really be called a manshoot? If at it’s thickest you will only shoot 3 actual men at once.

• dsi1 says:

Orkshoot?

But then theres Chaos…

• Ultra Superior says:

By “actual men” you mean 1000 + years old superhumans infused with daemonic powers, mutated well beyond spacemarines standard 19 or so surplus organs?

No, these are the fine aspirants of chaos WHO FROM THE EYE OF TERROR CAME TO KILL !

• The Army of None says:

To be fair, you could also get the chance to shoot chaos-tainted cultists or whatnot. Not all chaos types have to be ULTRO-BIFF SPACE MARINES

drewski says:

If it has Renegade Guard in it, you won’t be lacking for mans to shoot.

• Bilbo says:

Many of those Chaos Space Marines are 10,000+ years old

• Commisar says:

can we please stop using that F***ing term. I can’t stand manshoot

4. coldvvvave says:

Defilers please.

5. frenz0rz says:

Plaguetastic!

6. DJ Phantoon says:

“To be honest, I’m much more keen on this than I am on the 40K MMO that’s also in the works”

Sounds pretty honest… as in it’s honestly HERESY!

ALEC IS TAINTING RPS!

• Rich says:

You, sir, are the one spouting heresy! Repent and you shall feel the Emperor’s supreme mercy in a quick an honourable death. Refuse and you shall feel only cleansing flame.

7. Centy says:

I am also interested in this as a game I turn to when I’m tired I can just lean back with a pad and smash some Orks. I expect it to be exactly like every other god of war clone going so as long as the smashing is fun it will be worth it. By ‘it’ I of course mean a tenner on steam in the xmas sale.

8. Barnaby says:

So they were initially planning on making this a console only game?

I just can’t bring myself to get excited over FPS games that are being developed primarily for consoles and then ported to PC. There are huge control issues with FPS games on consoles that have been harped about a million times. When you are developing a FPS game expecting the main input to be a controller and not a m/kb there are almost always going to be problems in the PC version.

:sigh:

*Edit*
    Maybe it won’t be such a big deal if the bulk of the combat is melee.

• Dominic White says:

It’s a third-person arcadey brawler/shooter hybrid, which is perfect for 40k, but as a genre it’s anathema to a lot of grumpy old PC gamers.

• Grot_Punter says:

I’m going to give a poor analogy here: Imagine Gears of War set in the 40k universe, there’s cover mechanics and all that. Except the Orks are the Gears, and your space marine is a Locust Berserker. You don’t care about cover. You have a chain sword and a bolter. RUN THROUGH THE WALLS TO UNLEASH THE FURY OF THE EMPEROR UPON THE UNHOLY XENOS. GLORY TO THE IMPERIUM!!
      That’s about how I’d sum the game up based upon an article I read a long time ago. I hope it helps.

• Choca says:

@Grot_Punter : Last time I saw the game, the Relic chaps told us that “Cover is for pussies” so I think there won’t be any cover system (unless they changed their mind since then), which would make sense since Space Marines are walking tanks, not infantry.

• Grot_Punter says:

Well, I never said the player used cover. I said everything else did, and that, as a Space Marine, the player just smashes their pathetic attempts at safety as he/she furiously charges towards them, raining an unrelenting barrage of explosive rounds, followed by obligatory chain swordings.

Here’s some footagey preview bits of some Orks gettin’ all shot up. And chopped up.

9. Navagon says:

Those Khorne dudes are looking a bit beaten up. Not that I’d say that to whatever’s left of their faces mind.

10. frozenbyte says:

It’ll be a shame if the game only has Khorne demons. They are the most boring of the lot.

drewski says:

I’d love a game focusing on Slaanesh.

• Ovno says:

Oh come on, nurgle are by far the most boring (and overused in computer games, dawn of war I’m looking at you)

It’ll be a nice change of place to actually get some of the war focused chaos types to fight.

• Surgeon says:

drewski says: I’d love a game focusing on Slaanesh.

Pervert!

11. Temple to Tei says:

So far every screenshot I’ve seen of the mmo has been saved to my pc. When it comes out I imagine I’m going to need a lot of HD space as I basically record everything I do in the game.
    When growing up and limited to a paper (yes paper!) releases every month, I would save every pic of awesomeness GW brought out for 40K.
    Games have not got to that level for me yet, but the MMO pics have been good/worrying.

Also, can someone with more money than sense buy the movie and let RPSers know how bad it is please.

• Hellraiserzlo says:

Ultramarines is actually a fun watch if you are into 40k.
      Also awesome screenshots I love chaos and orks, not too happy about slaughtering them with a smurf but whatever it’s still glorious&bloody 40k action so no complaints.

Daiv says:

Motion capture on the Marines is too light – they should have strapped medium weights to the motion capture actors to get the inertia of the power armour. The faces suffer from a distinct rubbery look due to lack of sub-surface scattering. There are a couple of odd touches that don’t fit with the lore (A Space Marine apothecary muttering about the futility of war?). But mostly, I think it’s entertaining in a “game cutscene” kind of way and I got too excited at the end at the blatantly telegraphed climax because at heart I’m still a 13 year old boy excited at the idea of powered armoured lunatics with bolters.

• Rath says:

It has it’s positives and negatives to be sure, but it’s still worth a watch at least once. Sean Pertwee makes a pretty good marine.

• One Pigeon says:

It did have its ups, but I’d say the downs were far more prevalent.

The animation seemed old fashioned and vaguely reminded me of the cutscenes from Dungeon Keeper 2 (as awesome as that was). And the actual story was incredibly boring and contrived, but I may have only felt this having just read the first two books in the horus heresy series which have been excellent so far.

Also…Ultramarines…why? If you’re going to pick a Space Marine chapter to make a film on, at least pick one that is interesting. Hopefully it’ll be a springboard for sequels and that they’ll have learnt something from the first one.

Fanboy rant over

• Ultra Superior says:

I’m a 40K fanboy for eternity so you can’t take me seriously -

I liked the movie a LOT.

Animation is terrible, SM just walk like they’ve got Slaanesh’s sticks of painful pleasure up their arses. But it is not true that the visual side is all wrong – there are moments definitely worth the watch just for the art. Even though you’d rarely see the usual exaggerated W40K “bombast”

The atmosphere is good.

The story – since this is the first movie, they took the “minimalistic” approach – so that they could have normal exposition explaining who is who. Imagine they had more races or weirder chapters in… it would be for hardcore fans only, and just for the fans of that particular portrayed niche.

It is absolutely OK to make it about ultramarines and keep it simple.
      Or not simple – straightforward.

I liked the story a lot – it was much better than I expected and it set the bar for future W40K films very high. All the characters are believable (as in they’re not annoying and they act properly).

Sometimes SMs are asking questions they’d already knew the answer to, but that is all for the few W40K virgins in the audience.

Story also lacks the usual set of hollywood cliches which was really refreshing.

If you like W40K, then you’ll like the movie for what it is and you’ll hate that it’s not what it COULD be if they had proper budget, Blur Studios, or Weta Digital. :D

• subedii says:

On the topic of animation, Plastic Wax (who I think are doing the cutscenes for Space Marine, and did them for DoW 2) did this short proof of concept IIRC when they were pitching to do Space Marine.

It’s short, but you get a real sense of weight and heft to everything. How it should “feel”.

• Rath says:

@ Ultra Superior
      Slaanesh’s sticks of painful pleasure

Available soon from Forgeworld.co.uk o_O

• Ultra Superior says:

Master subedii I’m forever indebted for that link!!

Yep – that is exactly how it should be.

• slight says:

Bloody hell, talk about pricing yourself out of the market. I’d have been interested but 30 euros? You’ve got to be kidding. They should have offered a non-super-mega-ultra-collectors-edition :(

• Commisar says:

it a’int that bad, especially for a fan made movie with very little funding. It is fun to watch and the creators do stay quite close to the source material.

12. Archonsod says:

At first I wasn’t going to buy it on account of being sick of bloody Space Marines. When they mentioned Orks I thought it might be worth a look given they’ve never really been the main antagonist beyond Final Liberation. Now they mention they’re putting Chaos in my interest has once again waned.

There’s only so much you can do with big shouty men in chunky armour to make them interesting. Unfortunately GW themselves exhausted those possibilities circa 1993.

13. Creeping Death says:

Shouldn’t it really be one on one poses a significant challenge? They are Space Marines too, most of them with several thousand years of experience under their belts…

drewski says:

Yeah, but you’re a hero, they’re just dudes.

• Mohawk says:

Chaos space marines don’t have thousands of years of experience. Time passes differently in the warp which is where they spent a lot of time. Whilst there are chaos space marines around from the Horus Heresy for them only 50-200 years would have passed depending on how much they spent out of the warp despite it now being the 41st millennium. Titus is also a space marine Captain, one of the best a chapter has to offer, he should be able to fight 2-3.

phuzz says:

FOR THE EMPEROR!

ahem

I’m quite looking forward to this.

(though why did the squats get dropped out of the GW canon eh? They were aces.)

15. Rath says:

I like to think that the Ultramarines are being used as the protagonists for this adventure precisely because they are the more linear, rigid sort of chapter as befits their lore, and that could work well for future sequels, as it gives the developers an opportunity to say “Whereas with the first game we had Titus as pretty much a stand-up, Codex following embodiment of his Chapter kinda guy, now we’re moving on to a more characterful group like the Space Wolves, and you’ll have a lot more freedom from such conventions with this one, plus a neat berserker mode with the Curse hanging over them.”

But, you know, we should probably let them just get this one out the door first before making such assumptions.

16. man-eater chimp says:

Taushoot please?

17. PatrickSwayze says:

Orks = Boring.

I’m glad that Chaos have been added in.

• Pijama says:

Young master, the Freebooterz have something to say to you. ;)

• coldvvvave says:

>>>Orks = Boring.

Blasphemy.

• Wulf says:

Less boring than the bloody marines, anyway! They actually have quite a bit of personality to them. To be honest, I’d happily play a game where the other, more interesting factions do their own thing and pretty much just forget that the Imperium of Man exists.

• subedii says:

‘E’s over dere!

18. Heliocentric says:

A reverse campaign please where you can be a warboss/chaos champion.

Orks is da biggest an’ da ‘ardest.

mcnostril says:

I want more Kaptin Bluddflagg.

I would totally play an entire game devoted to the pursuit of fancy hats to add to the boss pole.

• Wulf says:

There’s a TF2 joke there, somewhere, but I won’t make it.

19. rapchee says:

anyone played fire warrior? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warhammer_40,000:_Fire_Warrior
    i found it interesting but often frustrating

• DrazharLn says:

I thought it was a generally dull corridor shooter. Kinda interesting in parts. Wasn’t hugely impressed.

20. Kevin says:

Pffft… What’s so great about Spess Mehreens?

Harlequins, however, are a totally different matter. Ninja clowns whose standard issue sidearm is a wire that injects itself into someone, uncoils, then rotor-blades his insides into a mush? Guns that make every blood cell in a man explode? The ability to kill people by giving them bad acid trips? Yes, please.

21. Daryl says:

I really want to play as Chaos, not just the Space Marines. I hope there is an expansion or a sequel that makes them playable in a campaign, but it doesn’t seem likely.

• Wulf says:

Likewise. I could never get behind the mentality of the space marines. It’s just not a role I could ever get into, so I’d always feel very detached from the game. I could handle the Tyranids more than i could the space marines, to be honest. Chaos is fine, too.

I guess it’s just the dishonesty that bugs me about ‘em. They’re equally as evil as anyone else, but they masquerade as a sort of shiny, paladin-y good. Chaos actually seems more honest. They’re evil buggers too, sure, but at least they don’t don shiny suits of armour and hold any pretenses about being anything else.

• Ultra Superior says:

I don’t quite agree – they’re rigid and they have to do everything by the book, sure, small mind is a tidy mind.

But that much harder are some decisions they have to make. If you’d put player into the role of a Space Marine with his narrow point of view and then you asked him to make difficult choices –

it would make for an interesting game:

Think of SpaceMarine as Jack Bauer. He will do anything – ANYTHING – to make things “right” the way he sees it. Sometimes it would mean to sacrifice friendship, innocent lives or take the role of a martyr and it can lead you to serious trouble. Or you can deviate from your ways and you can cause something even worse.

You can follow the rules blindly – you can lie to yourself that you are doing the right thing – but then you uncover the wrongness and corruption and hypocrisy and all the rules that you’ve obediently followed turn against you – suddenly you may have a problem with your own identity.

22. Metonymy says:

Victory requires no explanation. Defeat allows none.

It would be pure heresy to invest so much time in creating a Forgeworld to purge, and then not allow the player to play as a xeno or a heretic. Every single archetype lends itself perfectly to the first and third-person view.

Hive Lord. Pure melee, lots of single and area melee weapons
    Chaos Sorcerer. Melee caster
    Techpriest. Engineer. Mechanical pets.
    Tau Ethereal. Persistent effects, aura, caster, accompanies fire warriors which need protection
    Ordo Hereticus. anti-caster, flame weapons+melee, sexy armor
    Necron Lord. Heavily customizable. Melee.
    Flash Gitz. Insane, raw ranged power. No subtlety.
    Ranger. Eldar stealth/sniper.

• DrazharLn says:

Hmm, *some* of those might be fun to play as.

Important to remember that Techpriests are more than engineers, though. They could be deadly ranged opponents, or melee bastards just as easily. Tau Ethereal wouldn’t be fun to play as, IMO. The fluff keeps them mysterious for a reason, they’re (probably) not psykers or casters at all. Besides, the Tau have such an array of more interesting units to play as: fire warriors to battlesuits, stealth battlesuits, drone controllers, kroot…

I want to play Warhammer. If only it weren’t so ridiculously overpriced.

• Ultra Superior says:

Yep and none of them would be made properly BUT – Imagine turn-based strategy with these archetypes!

Oh wait…

23. bleeters says:

Please, please, please.

No noise marines. I’m begging you.

24. Pijama says:

So far, so good. It definitely looks like a great complement to Dawn of War!

All we need is the WH40K grand strategy game and the WH40K proper-rpg game (Inquisitor? Rogue Trader?) and it will be all wee!

• Shubb9 says:

An Inquisitor RPG in the vein of the Dan Abnett books would make me pray to the dark gods. Ooh, I’d need such a cleansing.

• Ultra Superior says:

Imagine KOTOR (or mass effect)

instead of pussy star wars universe and homojedi – you are an Imperial Inquisitor.

In a second plot point you get accused of heresy and you have to make a choice – redeem yourself or embrace the chaos.

Travel the stars with your retinue of your choice, search for forbidden artefacts and fight the pawns of arch-enemy & Puritan Inquisitors, Astartes, Xenos and daemons.

Imagine the skill tree that unlocks after you sell your soul to chaos gods. Melee powers of Khorne?

Sorcery of Tzeentch? Following of sex slaves provided by Slaanesh?

Or would you seek the blessing of the false Emperor? Would you seek an access to the black library ?

Bossfight with Chaos Titan… bossfight with Alpha Class Psyker, tearing the hivecity around you down.

Would you choose to burn the Eldar Craftworld down or would you use them as your allies? Or would you manage both?

Someone has to make such game.

• bleeters says:

It’s my understanding that redemption from accusations of heresy generally involves being burnt alive.

• Ultra Superior says:

@bleeters

Inquisition is a massive organization of plural opinions – the accusation has only that much weight how much is the Inquisitor influential and renown.

So – if you are a noob inquisitor and a revered one accuses you of heresy, you’re a dead man. If you find proof of your innocence and you manage to convince some respected inquisitor (i.e. Inq. lord) – you may get out of that trouble.

Accusation of heresy is too serious to be taken lightly, so the one who made such wrong accusations against you, would die by your hand of course.

Thing is – every accused inquisitor tries to redeem himself/(herself) – he just goes rogue and contacts old friends who owe him and tries to
      1) take down the accuser before his claims stains his reputation
      2) find a proof of your innocence
      3) unravel the conspiracy that framed you

in the case you are rightfully accused, then you may become a Radical Inquisitor – and seek refuge at like-minded members of the ordo – or you may fall to the Chaos and become full blown heretic.

• Kollega says:

@ Ultra Superior

i reley dont wan to say this, but i have to now. Being a calm, rational pseudo-Buddhist warrior monk instead of an insane, foaming-at-the-mouth pseudo-Crusader in is no way related to being, as you have so respectfully put it, “homo”, and furthermore, neither of those are bad things.

I will go even further, and say that nowhere the description of a lightsaber as “an elegant weapon for a more civilized age” holds as true as in comparsion with a chainsword. And indeed, i find it a better weapon for it’s virtue of being more elegant.

/inb4 accusations of “trolling” and “heresy”.

• Ultra Superior says:

@Kollega

:-D

You should also look at the practical side of things – how much fun you can have with these weapons in a game.

Lightsabre – clean, swift cuts, nice hot&glowing scratchmarks, gentle humming, tiny sparks when it rains.

Chainsword – terrible roar, smoke fumes from overheating servos, gazzilions of sparks upon the contact with the armor, hectolitres of blood spraying everywhere upon contact with the flesh – each ripping through lasts -depending on the toughness of the enemy. Electric arcs flashing out of servos when the chain gets stuck during a parry.

Well, I loved my share of SW games but I’d like one WH40K thousand times moreeee. ;D

Makariel says:

I’d like to play a regular imperial guardsman in a 40k game. Now THAT would be proper survival horror! If you’re not shot, eaten or disintegrated by aliens, the commissar will shoot you anyway.

• Pijama says:

Shortest game EVER. hahaha

• Hellraiserzlo says:

It could be like those ragdoll games where your goal is to score points by making the most brutal death.

26. P4p3Rc1iP says:

“To be honest, I’m much more keen on this than I am on the 40K MMO that’s also in the works, as laying down the ultrobiff directly rather than worrying about experience points and loot seems a better way to realise the fiction.”

Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment.

27. Wulf says:

I’m glad to see that I’m not the only one who gets twitchy about the plural form of Nemesis.

drewski says:

So what I’m basically imagining this like is Batman Arkham Asylum, with guns, but Batman rips Orks apart with his bare hands.

29. chargen says:

What with Ultramarines and all I can only assume you’ll be fighting tyranids at some point. Decapitated tyranids are on their goddamn regalia after all. That would make another “swarm massacre” type enemy like the orks.

sonofsanta says:

I really, really hope that Chaos doesn’t just mean Khorne this time. Khorne is all that ever bloody happens. GW themselves haven’t updated the Plague Marine models in about a dozen years, afaik. The other gods are all massively more entertaining than bloody Khorne again (pun not intended).

Orks are boring as well, as they’ve become so cliché. Khorne and Orks. Orks and Khorne. Orkhorne. ALL I EVER SEE. So much bloody lore and it’s always those two factions.

Agreed on the manshoot/MMO comparison as well… everything I’ve seen about the MMO basically says that they literally have no ambition whatsoever beyond WoW-with-a-licence. Sod doing anything interesting, let’s just do the same things that a 7 year old game is doing and hope the fanboys buy it on licence alone. Such a wasted opportunity.

• Ovno says:

When have we ever seen khorne its always been bloody nurgle, smelliest of all the chaos gods….

• Grot_Punter says:

Know what we haven’t seen? The Squats.

drewski says:

The Chaos forces in the original Dawn of War games were Khorne devotees.

Summoning a Bloodthirster in the disorder Winter Assault campaign is probably my favourite thing in RTS games ever.

• Hoaxfish says:

there were some Tzeentch forces in the original too (horrors being a noticable example)

• Ovno says:

I stand corrected, still much cooler than nurgle, though tzeech or slanesh would have been much more interesting…

31. TsunamiWombat says:

Glad to see them finally exercising 40k’s videogame potential seriously. We havn’t had a 40k action game since the …decent but not good, Firewarrior.

Now give me a squad based “Brothers in Arms: Road to Hill 30″ style game with the Imperial guard.

Final boss, try to kill a SINGLE Chaos Space Marine. Lulz.

32. Kollega says:

Now, i shouldn’t really say anything because i don’t have anything constructive to add – but i think it’s worth saying that i won’t buy this game just so it would be known that there are people who are, in fact, not intrested in buying it. And why, you may ask? For the same reason everyone else here seems to crave it, but reversed: i don’t like the setting. And the fans of that setting too.

Cue accusations of “heresy”.

• Ultra Superior says:

Slaanesh will turn your brown mark of chaos into a bloody eye of terror.

• Kollega says:

And this is why i don’t like the fans of Warhammer 40k. Even if that particular jab was light-hearted and not at all serious.

• Ultra Superior says:

You are not required to like it as long as you serve Slaanesh’s pleasure.