Quick, Something! Modern Warfare 3 Teasers

By John Walker on May 14th, 2011 at 11:03 am.

In game title?!?!

It’s been a funny week for leaks and attacks. Deus Ex Human Revolution’s website getting hacked (which does seem a bit like Thief 4′s website getting stolen), an MP leaking a game announcement (which is my favourite embargo break ever – presumably Creative Assembly will be punishing Vaizey by refusing to give him preview code), and then the rather astonishing complete spoil-fest of not only huge amounts of content for Call Of Duty: Modern Warfare 3, but even that Modern Warfare 3 exists. Activision and Infinity Ward have sprung into action and created four teaser trailers that confirm it all for themselves. You can watch them below.

Just as Jim predicted (to me in private the other day), Infinity Ward just aren’t populated enough to develop the game on their own. Which means Activision’s favourite substitute teachers, Raven, will be stepping in to help with the unruly class. There’s also support from the freshly qualified classroom assistants, Sledgehammer Games.

Today there are four teasers, one for each of four countries that you’ll be modernly warring in during the game. How did they manage to pull them together so quickly? By not really including any game. However, there is a strong suggestion that there’s some impressively detailed recreation of real-world city streets. It looks like quite a chunk of London in England’s (sorry, “3ngland’s” teaser).

So, America:

England (along with emergency services sirens from the 1980s – good work!):

France:

And most impressively, Germany:

, , , , .

1. lethu says:

The world belongs to those who sleep not.

2. Antsy says:

Hmm, I was hoping for a screenshot with an elevator rendition of The Girl From Ipanema. I dared to dream. :(

• Ghil says:

It would’ve been the perfect teaser. I shed a tear at the thought of such a perfect moment.

3. Pew pew LAZORS says:

Am3rica…

4. JackShandy says:

Thank gosh all those countries have E’s in the names. I don’t know what I’d have done without that.

5. DiGi says:

These trailers looks like first Battlefield 3 teaser.

6. GenBanks says:

The Russians are going to take over the world!!
    We should have known.

…and they’re only going to fight battles near major architectural landmarks.

• GenBanks says:

also, isn’t it sort of odd that they speak english in the germany trailer? My only guess is they didn’t want their audience to get confused about who the bad guys were.

• Antsy says:

The Russians are coming!

Hah, thats blindsided everyone that was expecting the baddie to be a Tasmanian with a axe to grind.

• CMaster says:

@Genbanks. I hear a mix of English and German in the G3rmany trailer. I’d suggest that what you’re hearing is communication in English between a unit (possibly tank?) on the ground and NATO command (which probably uses English) followed by the German leader issuing commands to the unit.

stahlwerk says:

CMaster seems to be correct, the german is reporting “visual contact with the enemy” and stuff like that. Kudos for using native speakers, I’ve heard worse.

• Tatourmi says:

The french speakers however are definitely not native. “SHEBELEBELEU LE FRANCE TOUR EIFFEL” yeah right.

• Matt says:

Zut alors!

• Dozer says:

I’m a Tasmanian, but I don’t have an axe. But I do have a hacksaw, and a 1kg powder fire extinguisher I got for £10 from Lidl seven years ago. I could grind the fire extinguisher with the hacksaw and die of suffocation in the powder. Would this be a good plot for MW4?

7. sk2k says:

Yeah, all nice and so.–off topic– Can we have some coverage for SPAZ now ? :) It is (more or less) out since monday and it irritates me that it does not received mention on the RPS front page.

8. DainIronfoot says:

Green.

lurkalisk says:

So… “odin, dva, tri, chyetirye” (one, two, three, four, in Russian).
    Essentially, COUNTRIES ARE INVOLVED, WAR IS TO BE! … In numerical order?

Man Raised by Puffins says:

One, Two, Three, Four?
      He’s declaring a thumb war! Quick, activate Digitus Prime!

10. SuperNashwanPower says:

Passable american-guy-does-english-accent efforts this time out. Only falls down at the word “Beericades”, which I presume is a wall of Eastern European lager designed to slow down the russians.

11. Holysheep says:

Fun fact: I am French. However I don’t understand -at all- The FRANC3 trailer. They got Eiffel Tower right, tho.

12. mjessen says:

I couldn’t resist and read the story spoilers… WWII theme is over but they’re still bringing the war to germany (which is were I live)… weird, but I’m curious what it would like to be driving a tank through Hamburg, my hometown…

• medwards says:

I’m kind of torn here… I was planning on skipping MW3 because of the IW fiasco, but I really want to see semi-accurate Germany and France in a video game, especially after seeing Spreepark at the end of Hanna. Like you say, something about re-seeing the places you know.

13. Rosti says:

The England trailer makes me want to watch Life on Mars. So that’s something positive to take from all this, I guess.

14. Guiscard says:

One of these days there will be a high budget manshoot that portrays the noble Russians repulsing the evil West and its world domination plans, with the help of the defiant generic not-sure-which-country-they’re-from Arab brothers, instead of the other way around.

• cheat2win says:

This please.

• lethu says:

MGS4 almost had this, at least for the “with the help of the defiant generic not-sure-which-country-they’re-from Arab brothers” part, and it was kinda refreshing.

• Pew pew LAZORS says:

I would like to place a preorder for this.

• Mad Hamish says:

I think it should be Vladamir Putin repelling the forces of the west single handed. Serious Sam style.

edit: a bare chested Putin, possibly on his horse.

• sidhellfire says:

Yeah, Putin would never need a help from Freedom Fighters/Resistance/Terrorists however you call them.

• SquidLord says:

Isn’t that, effectively and with lattitude for interpretation, exactly what Brink is? Of course, they morally grey it up a bit, which is wonderful, but its certainly readable as a tale of the oppressed Russian (and other ethics) fighting off the shackles of The Man (who are also, strangely, ethnics but primarily white).

• FunkyBadger3 says:

Little Vladii wouldn’t ride anything as feminine as a horse – unless it was Sleipnier – he would ride a.. a.. a tiger… with frickin’ laser beams on its head!

• Dozer says:

IL2 Sturmovik (the original one) was like this. In that it was a reasonably accurate flight simulator originally featuring the Russian-German(/Hungarian/Italian/Slovakian/Rumanian/Finnish) conflict in WW2.

15. John Connor says:

I like how the story got spoiled. SPOILER ALERT: Man runs down corridor, shoots people, jumps into helicopter.

It makes me sad to see how much of a joke this series has become.

16. Koshzor says:

In all 4 trailers you can hear russian speach. While UK, Germany and France are ok. US line doesen’t make any sense. I will try to translate with mistakes they made.

“Один. Уничтожить враженью надежду на побеждение.”
    One. Destroy enemeis hope for deefit .

“Два. Используй все к своему преимуществу.”
    Two. Use everything to your advantage.

“Три. Воспользуйся слабостью своего врага.”
    Three. Use weakness of your enemy.

“Четыре. Атакуй с неожиданной стороны”
    Four. Attack from unexpected side.

• Holysheep says:

Nope, like I said, the French one haves no sense either.
      I’m pretty sure Google translator was used in the process.

The first sentence is IMPOSSIBLE to understand, except ” Tour Effeil ”
      Then they say with a bad canadian accent ” We can see some smoke from here, we are heading to * I didn’t understand *” and then I wasn’t able to understand the rest.

• GameOverMan says:

Quotes from Sun Tzu’s Art of War in russian, perhaps?

• Tatourmi says:

He actually only meant to talk about the russian end talk.

• gimperial says:

побеждение is victory: destroy enemy’s hope at victory/destroy enemy’s hope to win

• Koshzor says:

Yep, i meant only Russian lines. I don’t speak French and only little of German. There is no such word as “побеждение”. But we can use analogies, right?

“Уничтожить надежду врага на поражение.”

Still it sounds wrong and can be translated like “Destroy enemies hope for (their) defeat”. How we suppose to make this happen? Do we need to kill our own troops?

The right like should sound like “Уничтожить надежду врага на победу”. Still not the best one, but i am not the best translator in the world, so my appologies.

• FunkyBadger3 says:

How we suppose to make this happen? Do we need to kill our own troops?

Wonder if Marshall Zhukov will be a boss baddy in the zombie levels…

17. mueti says:

Funnily enough I saw a parody of those teasers before the actual teasers. It took the 3-thing and some ‘green footage’. I laughed.
    Then I saw these and it killed the parody, as I realized it basically just did what some bonehead in Activision’s marketing department did themselves. Am3rica? Seriously?

18. Teddy Leach says:

For christ’s sake, could someone just shoot everyone that’s got something to do with the Modern Warfare series?

19. Rush Ton says:

Dear game developers. I know you think the number 3 looks similar to the letter E and therefore these can be used interchangeably. This is, however not the case, so can you please stop doing it. Thank you.

20. Comrade Communist says:

“Уничтожить вражную надежду на побеждение!”? WHAT A SHAME! They could at least find someone who could speak russian correctly and without accent for such a game!

21. Sunjammer says:

So, so tired of Evil Russians. So tired.

• Koshzor says:

But it’s true! We are evil! Why are you so tired of us? We still got nukes! Wanna see one? :(

/jk

• skurmedel says:

I am in agreement. Sadly dropping evil russian plots will probably mean we get evil chinese plots instead.

• Dozer says:

Is there another plausable antagonist though? Other than North Korea as a transparent China substitute? Perhaps we can have Call of Duty: Post-Modern Warfare, where a multinational team of demolition engineers take down all the surviving buildings designed by Le Corbusier.

stahlwerk says:

@Dozer: ze germans, way ahead of you, ja!

Actually, judging from recent developments in world peace, practically anywhere could be a “credible” scenario for a modern warfare game, seems like being an oppressive dick to your people seems to be the thing for the season.

22. Basilicus says:

Enough of this small-squad muckle. Go back to World War 2. Or, better yet, World War I. I want the drama of thousands being cut down as tanks emerge rumbling from a winter forest. I want shoddy equipment that falls apart and jams constantly because you haven’t been resupplied in a month. I want to see trenchfoot!

23. Sinnorfin says:

USA…er..AM3RICA…At least there is now high chance of a D3MO…

• CaspianRoach says:

Why would developers want to make a Demo for a game that is destined to succeed?

emotionengine says:

Boring! The real scoop is here.

25. A-Scale says:

Russia must have a lot of mans to be able to fight the US3, F3ANCE, 3ERMANY and BR3TA3N all at once!

26. Snuffy the Evil says:

Modern Warfar3?

• Pop says:

It’s a step away from Modern WARFACE, which is what we’re all really waiting for.

27. tungstenHead says:

MW33333333! It’s fun going down hill!

28. noclip says:

This article needs more s/e/3/

29. aldo_14 says:

I’m impressed they have been keeping up to date with political news, and thus have decided the SNP victory in the Scottish elections will result in a breakup of the UK.

That’s why, right?

30. BAshment says:

“England (along with emergency services sirens from the 1980s – good work!):”

It’s ok so is anti Russian sentiment.

31. Bungle says:

Are we really going to be forced to sit through six months of CoD marketing this year? Or did they just release this stuff to rain on Brink’s parade?

Another former CoD player who hates it here.

32. xeon06 says:

Haha, the French spoken in the France trailer is pretty bad and accented. Was it that hard to find a native French speaker?

33. Hazzard65 says:

yaaaawn

34. Pop says:

Finally an FPS with action in Germany!

35. mootpoint says:

Anyone else who read the logo as MAN 3?

36. DeanLearner says:

Oh sweet! To start I was like ‘fuck no’ but then when they wrote AM3RICA instead of AMERICA I was like ‘fuck yes’