Take Dictation: Tropico 4 Screenshot Gallery

By John Walker on July 20th, 2011 at 4:27 pm.

When I'm a fascist dictator my luxury cruisers will be three times this big.

From the glint in your eye, I think you’re after some pictures of Tropico 4. I’m right, aren’t I? There are ten new ones bestowed upon the world today, which you can almost certainly look at below. Other sites may be boasting twelve new ones soon. I deemed two of them too boring. ROCK PAPER SHOTGUN WILL DO THAT SORT OF THING. The publishing industry lives in fear of our ways.

I’d also like to suggest to publishers Kalypso that they perhaps turn on anti-aliasing before taking screenshots in future. That’s the problem with being located in Bracknell – it’s too distracting. They’re so close to Corel Reef, how could they resist spending their days going down the slides and playing in the jets? No person could.

The game is due out at the end of August.

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. Squeeby says:

It really is a slow time for PC gaming news.

• John Walker says:

Dude, it’s July. But the Tropico games are very popular, and we’d post something like this at any time of year.

• A-Scale says:

Seriously, Tropico was excellent.

• TheLordHimself says:

Yeah it really was. I think being 2D helped it too. I liked Tropico 3, but I just couldn’t get into it in the same way that I did with the first.

• Tacroy says:

Well that and the fact that, as far as I could see, Tropico 3 was just Tropico 1 except in 3D with a couple of new buildings. If I wanted to play Tropico 1 in 3D, I’d just put on those fancy glasses.

• starclaws says:

Meh I prefered tropico 2. Depend on piracy while trying to build an economy.

2. Torgen says:

I haven’t even gotten past the first mission on Absolute Power, but I will certainly buy this. The only one I’ve skipped is the the second one, as the whole “build a pirate economy” seemed a crass attempt to ride the PotC bandwagon.

(Edit: “Yes” to the article, not Squeeby’s post.)

• PoLLeNSKi says:

Yes because Tropico 2 was released before the first Pirates of the Caribbean movie. (Tropico 2 – April 03, PotC1 – June 03)

/facepalm

• mwoody says:

That’s a little unfair, as the game came out three months before the movie. Unless you meant the ride, I guess. In which case I’m calling Bioshock out for riding the coattails of Splash Mountain.

• Torgen says:

The movie and massive hype were known FAR before the premiere in the theaters…

• Rii says:

As opposed to the game which was punched out in a fortnight.

3. Arclight says:

They might have forgotten to turn on AA because those are 360 shots. ;)

• Cooper says:

This.

The screenshots look even WORSE than Tropico 3 does, and it uses almost all of the same 3d models and textures as Tropico 3.

With radial menus and obvious 360 button prompts, methinks Tropico 4 is just brining the 3rd game of the franchise to the XBox…

• Pointless Puppies says:

@Cooper:

Uh, the explanation is really quite simple: these are shots from the 360 version. You know, considering how Tropico 3 was also on the 360?

Strategy/sim games of this kind usually get an overhaul in UI. Since these aren’t specifically of the PC version I’m not worried about any of what you said at all.

• Arclight says:

Myeah was just responding to the bit in the post about the devs forgetting to turn on AA. Silly Mr. Walker, toyboxes can’t do proper AA. (yes yes, I know about all the fancy new post-process filter AA gimmickry)

Tropico 3, on PC, was quite lovely. I’m sure this one will be at least as fun… and pretty, most likely, but that’s not that important now is it?

4. Palodin says:

Dirty dirty console screenshots. Wake me up when some PC shots come along with a real interface and maximum pretty.

5. MCM says:

I really wish they would do something really new and interesting with Tropico. At this point it’s just SimCity: Caribbean, in that you kind of have a little city to play with with no real goal. Sandboxing is fun but not when it’s so easy. And make not mistake, Tropico is easy.

The “campaign” in 3 and 3:AP was nothing more than a bunch of scenarios, which is fine as the scenarios were all well and good. But I wish they would tie the underlying game in to something bigger, like ruling a larger country where you had multiple cities, or some kind of Civilization/Total War top layer.

Right now playing Tropico just feels like playing X-COM with only the tactical battles, and no globe. Or just playing Total War with just the battles, and no theatre/globe map.

• Torgen says:

One of my decades-old game ideas is a multiplayer “Banana Republic” game where you can trade with and destabilize your neighbors. I never could come up with a good name, though, or nail down the aesthetic and scope.

• Orvidos says:

This game exists, on the Commodore or Amiga or somesuch. I’ve been up for 29 hours or I’d verify my claims, that will have to wait.

2 players, talked about on either Giant Bomb, Idle Thumbs or Three Moves Ahead. Damn if I could remember which one.

• Tei says:

The original DICTATOR for the commodore 64 was hard, I think, you pretty much always end fleeing on the copter, and the gold in Switzerland was you “score”.
      But that was done limiting your PR campaings, and making to everything you does make some part angry. Obligatory education? USA is angry, the rebels happy, CCCP is happy. Healthcare plan? USA is angry, CCCP is happy. Nationalize OIL? USA is angry, the rebels are angry… and so on. I can’t say Tropico is hard, ..these scenarios can be messy, but is a boat that mostly float. So it plays more like a Sim City: Caribean than a DICTATOR game. You are not really challenged by things turning politically complicated.

Anyway I feel the game is that way because thats what people like. Sim City: Caribean.

• Thants says:

So, play it on harder. You can crank up the difficulty on the sandbox pretty far. The whole point of these games are that they’re smaller scale and more detailed than simcity.

• Vesperan says:

I would agree with the easiness comment (having just started Tropico a couple of days ago), although I am finding a sandbox game with nearly everything cranked up to max quite a fun challenge. It’s quite fun just giving up on a small faction (environmentalists for me) due to a lack of money, and having some good old fashioned nuclear testing take place.

6. amandachen says:

Corel Reef? I hope that’s some sort of nerdy joke.

7. Khann says:

Those shots look absolutely terrible…

Like.. Nintendo 3DS terrible..

• Palodin says:

Thats because they’re on the Crossbox 360, hardly renowned for its cutting edge graphics.

8. Kaira- says:

I’ve only played Tropico 1, so… are parts deux and deux-plus-un good?

• El_MUERkO says:

I got 3 in a Steam sale a while back, played it for a week or so but got bored, and I like these kind of games.

• Kaira- says:

So, I take three isn’t all that good? Shame.

• Inigo says:

3 is basically an improved remake of 1 with a full-3D engine. If you liked the first one, you’ll probably like 3.

• Thants says:

2 gets a bad rap, but it’s pretty good too. Worth a try if you enjoyed the first one. It’s got kind of an interesting sideways economy that you’ll either enjoy or you won’t.

9. GT3000 says:

You know you live in a third world country (not to be confused with poor) when your suggested building is a tenement.

EDIT: Actually, they’re poor too.

10. fallingmagpie says:

The two you dropped were more boring than the third one from the bottom? Jesus.

• Jake says:

Actually if anything I find these screenshots too exciting. A fucking sunbather! A jauntily-angled hat! For god’s sake you can BUILD a CIGAR FACTORY. My heart can’t take it. I think RPS is just too edgy for me, I’m off to watch that video of the train simulator again to calm down.

11. Pointless Puppies says:

I absolutely loved Tropico 3 and I’m kind-of looking forward to this, although the blatant recycling of game assets from T3 is kind of worrisome. If the game amounts to little more than a T3 expansion pack I’ll have to wait until it’s dirt cheap on a Steam sale.

12. I3LiP says:

I always thought Tropico was doing a disservice to itself by not letting us roll about in a T-54. I mean, what kind of third world dictatorship isn’t mad about his military?

13. Anarki says:

These screenshots are from the xbox 360, hence crappy anti aliasing….

14. Bingo Bango says:

Coral* Reef, John. Is that the one with the wave machine, by the way? If so, they do incredible burgers.

• Boarnoah says:

Well I play all my games with AA turned off T.T

• P7uen says:

The only time I went there I knocked an old man onto myself because he stood at the bottom of the waterslide bit without getting out.

I cut my arm, but on the plus side he did that thing where his legs went in the air and he hung there for 10 seconds before dropping to the ground which, 15 years later, I can laugh about.

15. rayne117 says:

I WANT MY MONEY BACK GODDAMMIT, THESE ARE XBAWKS SCREENSHOTS

RE-FUND, RE-FUND, RE-FUND

CANCELLED MY RPS SUBSCRIPTION

16. Italia says:

I’m sure that Trop 4 wil be a beauty. These are just early Xbox screenshots, and it’s not even like they represent game play. Hell when do you zoom in more than 300 yards away in Tropico when you’re running a large city anyway?

Oh yeah, only when your getting shot at by rebels. Which happens inevitably no matter what you do. Amiwrong?

17. innociv says:

The UI looks really consolified with the radial menus and all the padding…

I loved Tropica3 though. ;/

18. Tams80 says:

No ‘spaceship’ waterslide. I am disappoint.

19. Khemm says:

My initial reaction: yay, new Tropico 4 screenies to admire!..
    My reaction two seconds later: wait… why does it look so horrible… what’s with this abysmal UI?… ARRRGH! XBAWX SCREENS!! TAKE IT AWAY, TAKE IT AWAY!

20. Wezz6400 says:

I’ve always found Tropico 3 a bit odd. You are supposedly a dictator, but keeping the people happy works much, much better than oppressing them. What is the point of being an evil dictator if you can’t put your boot down on the head of those vermin populating your island?