Revolution! Deus Ex 3 Is Finished

By Alec Meer on July 27th, 2011 at 3:12 pm.

Adam does his happy and not at all spine-breaking Gone Gold dance

Humans! The promised day has arrived. Some said it wasn’t possible. Some said rude, badly-spelled things in capital letters. Others were simply impatient. No matter: it has happened. Deus Ex: Human Revolution, the third game in the series that has an awful lot to do with why an awful lot of us remain faithful, unswervingly loyal PC gamers to do this day, has gone gold. And I’m not just talking about its colour pallete. It is finished, Eidos Montreal have just revealed. Complete. Ready. Well, ready as it’ll ever be – and that means its release date on August 23 is actually happening.

And that means, hopefully, it’ll be in our hands soon.

Here’s a quote. It doesn’t tell you anything, but it does prove I’m not just pulling your leg:

“We couldn’t be more excited that Deus Ex: Human Revolution has gone gold and will soon be in the hands of expectant gamers,” said Eidos-Montreal’s general manager Stephane D’Astous. “As the first release for Eidos-Montreal, it’s impossible to express how extremely proud we are of the final product and all of the hard work that went into its creation.”

He’d better be right. Otherwise, I spill his drink.

__________________

« | »

, .

1. Danorz says:

What A Game.

2. Gunsmith says:

I asked for this

• Balobam says:

I didn’t ask for this. Still got it though and boy I couldn’t be happier, especially for £20.

3. grundus says:

Can’t wait, this news may prompt me to preorder on Steam right now, actually.

4. KauhuK says:

VGReleases is saying that the confirmed European release date is August 26. Makes me a bit sad. I hope Play.com sends my copy early.

• Magnetude says:

Bah, that’s what Amazon are telling me as well. At least it’s a friday so I’m not tempted to take a day off work (still am though)

• Thomas says:

Steam will prevent the street date from being broken so it doesn’t matter when Play sends it to you, other than you could of course try your luck with an US VPN and go into offline mode.

Oceans on the internet, do not want :(

• KauhuK says:

I live in Finland so it takes few days more to arrive. So I might not get it on the release day even if they send it early.

• Ilinx says:

Haven’t known Play.com to send anything early or, indeed, on time, in the past two years. Since they ditched Royal Mail following the strikes, I think. Anyone else noticed the same?

• kevmscotland says:

Yup, Play.com have become rather rubbish for making actual release dates.

So much so, my friends stopped ordering from them completely after recieving a couple recent big releases a week late.

• Sinomatic says:

If my amazon copy turns up late there will be tears.

I will make that postman cry.

• Flame_US3r says:

@Sinomatic: I’d hate to be that postman, especially after that whole ‘grooving to all your love letters’ incident. Hasn’t he had enough?

• Harlander says:

That mail carrier’s employment was terminated as a result of the incidents in question.

At the later tribunal, the judge remarked in his closing, “Some postman you turned out to be.”

5. jellydonut says:

EXCELLENT

AND SO GLAD I’VE PREBOUGHT ON STEAM

This baby will be arriving soon enough. via the magical intertubes. <3

6. MrThingy says:

I shall look forward to playing this after picking it up from the mail depot miles out of town after receiving a red “Sorry, you were out” card from the postman when I was blatantly in.

(sorry… continue…)

7. westyfield says:

All these ‘Deus Ex 3 is gold! Also, it’s gone gold!’ jokes are making me sad. I thought of that one first, dammit, and was saving it for this announcement!

• Skusey says:

I only clicked on this to make that joke, but it was in the article itself. Retrospectively, it was daft of me to presume that that joke wouldn’t be made on RPS.

• NegativeZero says:

I guess you could say you missed a golden opportunity?

8. Alex Bakke says:

I was gifted this yesterday via Steam. LIFE COMPLETE.

9. VelvetFistIronGlove says:

“The game’s appointment with stores should be finalized within the month. I’ve already announced the matter to the players.”

“I take it they were agreeable?”

“They didn’t really have a choice.”

“Have they seen the previews?”

“Oh yes. Most certainly. When I mentioned we could put them on the preorder list for the Augmented edition, they were so willing it was almost pathetic.”

10. Nighthood says:

The only game I’m looking forward to right now, that leak was incredible.

Preordered the Augmented Edition as a result of playing it. Everything, from the acting, to the gameplay, to the conspiracies seemed perfectly formed.

• squareking says:

Hmm. I must find this leak. Leaks should become the demo of this decade.

To The Googles!

• deadpan says:

Releasing their demo as a leaked build only accessible to PC gamers willing to seek it out from borderline illegal sources is seriously brilliant viral marketing.

SMASHTHESTATE

• LionsPhil says:

I’m still waiting for them to just up and release a proper demo already.

• qwiggalo says:

I pre-ordered it after playing the leak, their marketing worked like a charm.

11. Alexander Norris says:

I shall hopefully be getting a free copy from parties third by the 15th of August. Huzzah for being owed favours by people with access to the Eidos company store. :D

12. Codor says:

No, within 6 months.

13. Ubisoft says:

I would have delayed the release.

14. Coins says:

So, which shit publisher is publishing this?

• Magnetude says:

Not Ubisoft

• reticulate says:

Square Enix.

Who, incidentally, are probably hoping this sells a shitload since they can’t seem to make a Final Fantasy worth a damn anymore.

• Zelius says:

I don’t think Square Enix is that bad.

edit: as a publisher, that is. Their Final Fantasy games these days are indeed shit.

• sub-program 32 says:

Since this publisher is neither Ubisoft or EA, my prospects of getting this on Steam sounds fairly secure…

15. Raziel_Alex says:

Unatco?

No, Steam.

16. Jams O'Donnell says:

Oh jeez oh jeez oh jeez oh jeez oh jeez oh jeez oh jeez oh jeez oh jeez oh jeez oh jeez oh jeez oh jeez oh jeez oh jeez oh jeez oh jeez oh jeez oh jeez oh jeez oh jeez oh jeez oh jeez oh jeez oh jeez oh jeez oh jeez oh jeez but will it run on my machine? How scalable is it? Oh jeez…

• Dominic White says:

It’s an Unreal 3 game and it runs smoothly on the 360, so unless your PC is utterly decrepit, you should be good.

Can you run Bioshock? If so, DX3 is no problem.

• Zelius says:

It’s the upside to the whole “console games are holding PC games back” issue. New games actually still run pretty well on my 3 year old 600 euro PC.

• ResonanceCascade says:

It’s actually not an Unreal game, it runs on the Crystal Engine. But it runs like butter.

• sebmojo says:

going on the leaked preview (after playing which I preordered quicksmart, it’s that good) an Athlon ii x2 250 (dual core 3Ghz), 2 gig of RAM and a 9800GT will run it tidily on high pretties at 1280×1024. Though I’ll probably notch down the pretties a tad to improve smoothness – it’s very playable but framerate’s a bit jerky.

17. HelderPinto says:

What a shame.

18. Ergates_Antius says:

Woo, and indeed, Hoo

19. stahlwerk says:

Great, time enough to play through DX2: Invisible War to get up to speed with the backstory.

Oh, wait.

• Harlander says:

You can play the existing games and get up to speed on the… uh… frontstory?

20. Alder says:

Wheeeeee!

21. robaal says:

Argh, I hate all these pre-release remainders.
    I get all excited and ready to sneak about and stab guys with weird forearm daggers, just to realize that there’s still a whole month of waiting left :(

On a side note, if the game has gone ‘gold’ and is being stamped into discs, does this mean a DD-only release would be available a whole month earlier?

• dee says:

lolno

Also, they don’t save any amount of money on hosting the digital download versus printing out hundreds of thousands of disks.

22. Hensler says:

So excited! Hopefully it’ll keep me busy until Skyrim comes out.

Now to find my old copies of Deus Ex, Invisible War, and Project: Snowblind.

• Icarus says:

Would you say that Snowblind is worth picking up?

• Hensler says:

I had a lot of fun with Snowblind, but it’s definitely not an RPG – think Call of Duty set in the Deus Ex universe with augmentations.

• Icarus says:

Alright, cheers. I’ll give the demo a try.

23. Phinor says:

Out of the two technical issues, I hope they fix at least one. FOV won’t be fixed, that much they’ve said themselves, but hopefully they have added mouse controls to the PC version. The leak had the mouse pretty much emulating a gamepad with non-identical horizontal and vertical sensitivity.

Still, can’t wait and hopefully modders can fix any remaining technical issues. The content is going to be.. … gold.

• Sidorovich says:

I thought they had an entirely different dev handling the PC version, therefore guaranteeing proper PC controls?!

• ResonanceCascade says:

The demo leak was an early build, but the mouse controls were definitely not great. They reminded me of the Dark Athena/Butcher Bay re-release on PC, where it feels like you’re playing with a controller.

If it ships that way it will be disappointing, but certainly not game breaking, as I did get used to it after a while. But I’d rather not have to get used to something that shouldn’t have been broken in the first place.

• Dominic White says:

What are you guys even talking about? The mouse handled… like a mouse. If there was no console version, you probably wouldn’t even be suggesting that they’d somehow botched mouse support.

• ResonanceCascade says:

I guess some people are more sensitive to bad, floaty mouse controls than others, but a quick googling will show that a ton of other people noticed it too. Including the PC gamer guys, who pointed it out in their podcast about the demo.

The idea that we’re just making it up because it’s also being released on consoles is just silly. There are plenty of console ports that don’t have bad mouse controls, but there are also plenty that do.

• Magnetude says:

Yeah the mouse controls were definitely not final in the demo. For one thing, it would still track the mouse while you were using a computer, so you’d log off and be staring at the ceiling.

Other than that it seemed pretty alright.

• dee says:

I really doubt it won’t be fixed, but I hope they fixed the diagonal movement being twice as fast as other movement angles. And yes, aiming is a little shite. And there was the camera issues.

All small stuff that seems very obvious and no doubt shall be feexed.

• Phinor says:

A bit late reply to yesterday’s topic but apparently they have indeed added a FOV slider to the PC version at the last minute: http://forums.eidosgames.com/showpost.php?p=1640057&postcount=129

With this changed, I have high hopes that they have indeed fixed the mouse issues as well. Excellent news anyway.

24. Kaira- says:

So, will Human Revolution use Steam as DRM? If so, I might have to reconsider my preorder.

• magnus says:

Big sigh/face-palm/head-desk/facepalm combo, you never forget your first tinfoil hat!

• Kaira- says:

Yes, because I just love tying all my games to third party service provider and hope they allow me to play. [/sarcasm]

• VelvetFistIronGlove says:

I’ve not seen any official confirmation, but word on the street is that, yes, the retail game will use Steamworks DRM. The leak certainly did.

• Alaric says:

This is bullshit. >:-[

• Jason Moyer says:

Steamworks may not be perfect, but a computer program without DRM is hardly the answer to the world’s problems.

• thegooseking says:

Uses Steamworks and sold on Steam… How come it’s still available to buy from GAME, then?

• Optimaximal says:

What does that have to do with anything?

Innumerable games now ship at retail despite just being a Steam Key, a data cache on a disc to save you downloading the game and a shiny box with marketing bullet points.

• CMaster says:

Indeed, the fact that you can still pre-order on Steam in the UK suggests that this isn’t a Steamworks game.

@Optimaximal
      For reasons currently unclear, although suspected to be a demand of retail chain GAME, new games featuring Steamworks are not possible to purchase on Steam by users located in the UK. Instead, you have to buy at retail or alternative DD store and then activate on Steam. Brink suggested that this restriction is relaxed a few months after release but still.

25. Zaboomafoozarg says:

My version is augmented.

26. db1331 says:

Are we officially able to stop worrying that this is going to be a dumbed down console port, or is that still a possibility?

• Seth says:

The devs were okay with people playing the leak, and the leak was very, very good on PC.

• Dominic White says:

Seconding this – the leak (which is only the first area of the game, comparable to an old shareware ‘episode 1′) was, beta-bugs and optimization issues aside, bloody amazing. Well worth a pre-order, easy.

27. Tyrone Slothrop. says:

Just adding in the obligatory; I’ve preordered the augmented edition, the leak was amazing, can’t wait comment.

28. Vagrant says:

Press Release Translation:
    And you thought we were releasing trailers before!

29. Davie says:

Oh my. This game has taken me from a guy who had only heard Deus Ex mentioned in conversation to a rabid fanboy. Now I will actually get to play it. Excitement.

30. drashen says:

Lol i miss read gold as cold and i died a little inside

31. JohnnyMaverik says:

YEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!betterbegood-_-

this is all.

32. Vandelay says:

This game is going to be a bomb…

Pre-ordered on Amazon, when I realised my Amazon Prime trial worked on pre-orders too. Might have to actually try and play the first before it arrives.

• ResonanceCascade says:

Play the first for the first time, or replay it?

I’m always curious what a DE virgin thinks of it in this day and age. I’ve very often seen people say things like “Deus Ex may have been great at the time, but everything it does has been done better now,” or “you just have rose colored glasses.” Which I think is a load of tosh.

• DD says:

@ResonanceCascade
      I can attest as someone who beat the game for the first time 2 days ago. It really is awesome to this day. I was definetly a gamer back then but was more absorbed into other games at the time like Half-Life. I cant think of another game that did such a good job making you feel like a secret agent along with a great conspiracy vibe. Love the way you can tackle levels anyway you please.

• Vandelay says:

Not for the first time, although I’ve only played to completion (or even beyond the first few hours) once.

I have said here before, but I do think the original is overrated. I don’t see how anyone can say other games have done what it does better though. The reason so many people say it is the greatest game ever is because no one is even attempting to do what it did. The closest game I can think of is Hitman: Blood Money.

Hoping Human Revolution will try to emulate the original, with better mechanics and art direction/animation/voice acting/plot.

• Urthman says:

I played the first Deus Ex for the first time less than a year ago. I’ve been playing video/computer games since my Dad brought home a dedicated Pong console (was that before or after Blip and the electronic American football?), and I thought Deus Ex was one of the best games I’ve ever played.

• Marcem says:

@ResonanceCascade My brother and I just played it the first time, we both love it.

• sebmojo says:

I think it’s overrated. Good, but its technological reach exceeded its grasp by quite a way. Still one of the greats, mind.

• Thants says:

Everything it did should have been done better by now. Sadly the games industry failed to commit itself to doing nothing but making bigger and better versions of it since then, as it should have.

33. Sidorovich says:

Looks like Coolshop have the cheapest (non-augmented) boxed version here in the UK for 24 quid – anyone used these people before, are they reliable?

34. Inglourious Badger says:

Hmm, to book time off work to play this, or just turn up half asleep and spouting paranoid conspiracy babble to my workmates every morning for a week?

35. Dominic White says:

Not usually my sort of thing, but I had a look at the leaked press preview build (bigger than a demo, but still only the first act of the game – shareware size, pretty much, and the developers are letting people openly comment about it on the official forums) from a while back and…

Bloody hell, it’s right proper good, innit? It’s Deus Ex with fancy modern graphics and minus the bad bits. This one is going to be golden – pun fully intended.

Also, it totally feels like a PC game. The interface is actually very, very similar to the original Deus Ex. Nixxes have done good work on the PC polishing side of things.

36. Hammelbamf says:

Lemme download it already, Steam!

37. Muzman says:

Hooray! Only hours before some disgruntled lackey at the printers leaks it!

38. Gunsmith says:

“I take it they were agreeable?”

“They didn’t really have a choice.”

“Have they seen the previews?”

39. Acosta says:

I always believed in them! (lol, no.)

Where is my crow? I’m hungry!

• Dominic White says:

Remember when DX3 was first announced and the internet exploded with unholy rage? Countless angry nerds went off on dissertation-length rants about how it would be the worst game ever made.

Do you think any of them have learnt not to jump the gun like that?

(Ha, no.)

• Acosta says:

Deus Ex given to a completely new studio with no involvement from anyone of Ion or Looking Glass, leaded by a bunch of nobodies with nothing serious under their belt (Farcry Instincts? wow). What could go wrong?

I doubted them, with good reason, and they proved me wrong, showing they are more than capable and showing a great respect to the original game. I’m absolutely delighted. But I would still do the same.

Respect must be earned.

• Dominic White says:

Respect should be earned, of course, but running straight for the pitchforks and torches without them having done anything wrong? That’s just crazy. Don’t try to justify how aggressively some people reacted – it was nonsensical.

• Acosta says:

I only speak for myself. I don’t remember to light any torch or writing in caps. Just saying that doubt was reasonable for me, and so I doubted. Now everything looks fantastic I’m not going to hide what I said, I will eat my tasteful crow and enjoy a great game.

But again, that’s just my position. I don’t talk for anyone else.

40. TooNu says:

My order for the augmented edition has been placed since the 10th of December.

Should I buy this on STEAM also? it should unlock on STEAM yes?

41. Darko Drako says:

I have this on pre-order.
    Need to try and clear my massive gaming backlog beforehand as I am sure this will take over when it arrives through my letterbox.

edit – that reminds me I am half way through a Deus Ex re-run. I am hoping to play through Deus Ex and Invisible war before this arrives.

42. wodin says:

played leak….won’t buy game…..my money will be going to Red Orchestra 2 instead…but no doubt it has been dumbed down and I will regret it….I’m depressed…

• sebmojo says:

Oh good lord what a bunch of piffle.

Dumbed down? You mean the hacking game that’s actually a game now? The conversation mod that has a superb lie detection/manipulation component that’s completely integral to the fiction? The excellent voice acting? The third person that actually gives you the ability to have situational awareness while being stealthy, while still being completely optional?

Based on half the leak, this is the fucking paradigm case for not dumbing down a beloved game.

• John P says:

Dumbed down is a stupid term and shouldn’t be applied to HR. But the things you’ve listed there aren’t great examples either. Deus Ex is not about conversation minigames and hacking minigames. And as if you need to be in 3rd person to have situational awareness. Ever played a little game called Thief?

HR is certainly a Deus Exy kind of game, but those things aren’t improvements on it.

• Dominic White says:

See, this is ridiculous. The stealth, hacking and (in many respects) conversational aspects of Deus Ex were all very lacking. Now they’ve actually improved them, apparently it’s somehow ruining the essence of the original?

I’ve seen no shortage of people actually upset that they’ve got half-decent voicework now instead of I SPEEL MY DREENK!

43. Kamos says:

I’ll take a deep breath and wait 6 months to see if I should really play this. Maybe I’ll be better for it.

44. zeh says:

There’s so many internal jokes/memes within these comments that I can’t understand half of what’s going on.

45. sebmojo says:

Aquinas talked of the Shining Monitor on the Desk, gleaming in orange and blue.

46. NAZIUFOCOMMANDER says:

Now they’ll have more time to make trailers!

47. Lord Byte says:

Alright, time to start working on the patch!