Space Marine Co-Op After Launch?

By Jim Rossignol on August 10th, 2011 at 10:00 am.

In the grim darkness of the 41st century, there is only co-operation.
Hmm, this is a bit of an odd one, via ShackNews. This Space Marine forum post, which has subsequently been deleted, saw a THQ community manager claiming that the co-op aspect of Space Marine would turn up 30 days or so after release, but as then clearly been redacted. Since then THQ have released a statement saying: “Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine will have co-op and we look forward to announcing more details later this month.”

I guess someone is in trouble for blurting out meticulous PR plans, eh? Tsk.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. Choca says:

“I guess someone is in trouble for blurting out meticulous PR plans, eh? Tsk.”

Somebody should warn Randy Pitchford…

2. Firkragg says:

This game is SO going to hurt my upcoming jump to a higher educa-BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD!

• ivan_dolvich says:

if you are disciplined and have good timemanSKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE!!!

i just had to

• Bilbo says:

Good shout. This is bad news – but I guess they already put the release back a couple of weeks, better that they ship minus the co-op and add it later than that they ship a further month later

• Memphis-Ahn says:

It wouldn’t hurt to delay Space Marine by a month or so though. August is the month of Deus Ex after all.

• Bilbo says:

You’re right. I only really meant it in a slavering fanboy GIEF ME THE GAME NOW kind of way :)

• Creeping Death says:

@Memphis-Ahn

Good job it’s coming out in September then huh? -.-

• Bilbo says:

It was originally slated for 24th august. But yes, it’s already slipped by a couple of weeks, like I said.

3. TormDK says:

No one cares for Co-op in the single player story. Multiplayer is where it’s at!

• Choca says:

Apparently you live in Bizarro World.

• Bilbo says:

Yeah, another clear case of I CAN SAY EVERYWHUN THINKS WOT I THINK coupled with an alarmingly left-field opinion

• mondomau says:

Careful fellas, this is RPS remember? Home of ambiguous sarcasm and sophisticated trolling.

• c-Row says:

Apparently you live in Bizarro World.

Surely you meant Blizzaro World?

• Choca says:

No I didn’t.

And don’t call me Shirley.

• TormDK says:

I live very much in a world where there’s a pink sky and floating elephants, many of whom are named Dumbo.

However I don’t really see Co-op as being vital for this titel. Prehaps if by Co-op they ment something like the Last Stand mode from Dawn of War 2 – but for the single player experience? No skin off my nose.

• Bilbo says:

“I’d rather play a game that was designed as single player with a multiplayer versus mode at the announced release date, than wait longer for a feature that was no included in the design of the single player experience but added mostly as a sales point.”

Oh, I didn’t realise you’re the producer. What’s it like to work at THQ?

• Buzko says:

Oh, for crying out loud, Bilbo. Not everyone who disagrees with you is a shill or a troll.

It would be nice if they stopped farting about, but nothing I’ve seen in the material so far suggests that co-op is a necessary element for this game (quite the opposite). I understood this to be Dynasty 40K, not Army of Two: Both For The Emprah.

• Bilbo says:

If you disagree with my point by all means say so but fuck off with the ad hominem attacks?

He made it sound like he has some insider knowledge about the game’s design philosophy that the general public aren’t privy to, and stated his opinions about said design philosophy as fact, so I was just asking what it’s like to work at THQ as that’s the only condition under which he should be saying what he’s saying.

Don’t be an arsehole about it? Nobody invited you in just to bite my head off etc

• Danarchist says:

For those of us with friends co-op is a selling point. Sure I would be happy to plod through it single player for a little earlier, but I probably will not buy it till coop is available.

Currently playing coop Kill Team on xbox (my first console game ever actually) and enjoying the hell out of it. Multiplayer is ok, but I really do not enjoy getting my face melted by some meme spewing child from across the sea who cant even spell dum(b) right. I’m too old and slow for those games now hehe.

• Dave Mongoose says:

I’d guess that a lot of people who want to play the story in co-op mode will want to do that from the moment they get the game:

• Bilbo says:

Personally, a friend and I had big plans to play through this in co-op at release – it’s a huge selling point. Co-op is the only reason I bother with halo, gears of war, etc – without it I’d be giving them an extremely wide berth.

Waiting a month post-release to do the co-op is going to be brutal. :(

• heretic says:

“Story mode is usually a good intro to the controls and weapons before going online, and co-op is more fun if both players are experiencing the content for the first time.”

??????

“Currently playing coop Kill Team on xbox (my first console game ever actually) and enjoying the hell out of it.”

barf

a bit of PC elitism in the morning doesn’t hurt :D but the people who mention coop are console people ._.

4. DiamondDog says:

Sure, I’d be up for some co-op after lunch.

5. mpk says:

I guess it’ll be co-op as DLC then?

• mondomau says:

I fear you may well be correct.

• ftookl says:

According to that cached version of the post it’ll be free (in both bold and all-capitals) DLC to everyone who doesn’t buy it second hand.

6. Kent says:

Now I want this damn game even more, but it’s still too damn expensive!

7. Frosty840 says:

Why the hell would co-op play be announced so late in the PR cycle?
    Serious question, genuinely confused. Any insights, clever RPS readers?

• Dreamhacker says:

It may have been something they’ve been working on all along, but wasn’t sure it was going to work (for technical or gameplay reasons) until now. Keeping something that might not make it to launch hidden until it’s guarranteed to work will keep us from being disappointed.

• Creeping Death says:

Co-op was actually something they talked about WAY back in development, before they even announced if it was having mp or not. Then they just went silent on it ever since :/

• NeuralNet says:

Probably decided to use it as a post launch marketing push. It may or may not have been ready for launch, but if it’s due out only a month after the game is on the shelves it’s probably ready now. It will just be an attempt to keep some mind share after MW3 and BF3 come out and pick up some more sales after launch.

• FRIENDLYUNIT says:

Because they are worried about the impact on sales the fact that there wont be co-op on PC (only the console versions) will have.
      That’s why.

Just see if I’m wrong.

(Though if I am wrong: after much furore it will be included, way, way after release and the matchmaking wont work and you will only be able to play some of the time with only like one person ever).

8. g33kz0rd says:

I didn’t wanted to anyone get confused about Co-Op anymore. So i’ve posted this on my forum:

“I will update this thread with all the Co-Op details when we release them, so please stop speculating and confusing users with false info.”

And then deleted it… you know… just to CLEAR THINGS OUT AND NOT GENERATE MOAR CONFUSION.

9. Daiv says:

How could anyone possibly not want to dispense death an justice in the name of the Emperor with a trusted battle-brother? I only just noticed that nowadays whenever I play online with friends it is always a team-based game. Deathmatch just doesn’t have any appeal any more.

10. zal says:

pretty depressing news. I’ve got a friend I don’t see much in person (kids/work) and so we grab any good net co-op games we can get our hands on (neither of us are a fan of team based competitive crap). this one looked picture perfect. I’m glad its just a co-op delay instead of cancellation.

11. LMN8R says:

No one even knew the co-op existed until this announcement of a “delay”. The anger over it coming later seems to stem from people who didn’t even know much about the game in the first place, and are looking for a reason to bitch about this just for the sake of bitching.

12. Eightball says:

Joke’s on them, I didn’t preorder!

13. Lemming says:

Why are so many people’s reactions to this co-op delay some kind of consipracy? How about they

a) didnt mention it because they weren’t sure if they could get it working the way they wanted

b) are getting it working but don’t want to delay the game’s release to get it in?

Remember those days? Sheesh.

14. Hidden Thousand says:

Okay, so it’s WH40K, co-op campaign, yes? YES? Somebody, pinch me!