Diapers Advised: Serious Sam 3 Trailer

By Adam Smith on September 6th, 2011 at 7:56 am.

A game full of giant monsters, a screenshot with no monsters at all. Croteam are good at marketing, I am not.

How many trailers manage to accurately convey a design philosophy while also being pretty damn funny? I’ve done some swift calculations on my abaci and mathomancy tells me that the correct answer is this one for Serious Sam 3: BFE. Despite pouring scorn on so many modern gaming conventions, the whole thing is so gleeful that it doesn’t seem spiteful, just completely and incurably insane.

The video says episode 1 and I’ll be very happy to see more of this helpful chap before the game’s release on October 18th. Marketing is not supposed to be this much fun.

Lest anyone forget, indie side-scrolling Sam ‘em up, Serious Sam: Double D, is already out. John posted his impressions of the first two stages back in July and we’ll have more detailed thoughts on the full version very soon. If you need just a little more adrenalin to get through the remainder of this bleak and unforgiving Monday, there’s a launch trailer for Double D below.

__________________

« | »

, , , , .

1. raptormesh says:

Love the jab against auto regen. Agreed completely ;).

2. Muzman says:

I do like meta gaming silliness in advertising.
    Who was it did that one where the developer murders all the focus group people with their dumb complaints? That would have been really funny if they made it properly, instead of with random people from around the office.

3. Olivaw says:

Yeah, this doesn’t come off as mean or spiteful so much! I think it’s because of the trailer not taking itself seriously, so it doesn’t come off as preachy or overtly condescending.

It’s a good trailer, and I like it! Serious Sam looks to continue it’s fine tradition of being the king of the classic shooter.

I hope Hard Reset can give it some competition, though. It’s good to have a little rivalry sometimes!

• LionsPhil says:

I think it helps a lot that they deflate their own baloon a bit in the middle with the “but how does kamikaze scream?”.

4. sakmidrai says:

Im having a lot of fun with Serious Sam Double D. Finished it once and now Im replaying it for the secrets and the achievements. Not an easy game on the highest difficulty…

5. GallonOfAlan says:

Insert invalid comparisons to Duke Nukem below.

6. The Sombrero Kid says:

I approve.

7. MuscleHorse says:

I hate to inform you of this Adam but you appear to have slept through a day. It’s Tuesday.

8. ikinone says:

This video is not available in your country.

No oceans fail.

9. AndrewC says:

Running backwards is not a fun way to play shooters.

• Baboonanza says:

Is so!

• JackShandy says:

I’d advise you to run backwards in real life some time.

It is the closest a man can get to being a cruise missile.

• Corrupt_Tiki says:

Correction; Running backwards is the only way to play shooters.

• Dominic White says:

Much as I like Serious Sam, there really is far too much running backwards involved. Too many chasey melee enemies and hitscan bastards. Doom 2 had just the right balance of enemies that encouraged fast maneuvering in all directions. You found yourself charging at them as often as you were strafing around or retreating.

This isn’t nostalgia speaking, either – I’m no purist. I’m constantly hunting for new and interesting Doom mods. That game just doesn’t stop growing.

• Rii says:

It’s probably a good way to stay alive against swarms of Headless Kamikazes mind.

• stahlwerk says:

Running backwards is the only way to play shooters.
      AND
      Running backwards is not a fun way to play shooters.
      =>
      Shooters simply are not much fun.

• enobayram says:

Maybe they should implement the risk of tripping when you’re running backwards. That’s why I avoid doing it in real life.

• bill says:

Serious Sam had the perfect amount of running backwards, and running sideways, and ducking behind a building just before the 500 laser blasts hit you, and ducking under and jumping over said laser blasts, and shooting giant cannonballs at masses of moving bowling pin-like enemies.

• Corrupt_Tiki says:

Or y’know, you could do what I did, and what is great about old school shooters, and rocket jump to places your not really supposed to be, and then laugh maniacally as you feed grenades to the hundreds of melee enemies at the base of the wall/column/rock

10. Baboonanza says:

Sigh. Reply fail.

11. JackDandy says:

Looking good!

12. Corrupt_Tiki says:

Failure of reply also

13. DOLBYdigital says:

The end of the trailer was simply fantastic :)

Comment on this story