Day In The Strife: Dragon Age 2 DLC

By Adam Smith on September 16th, 2011 at 9:48 am.

He's not acting his age

BioWare have just released a trailer for a fresh chunk of Dragon Age 2 DLC, Mark of the Assassin. I’m not sure how big a chunk is – in fact, all I know about this one is that it involves an “impregnable fortress” that you’ll end up pregnating, “monsters” that you’ll end up killing and an elf voiced by Felicia Day, she of The Guild and Dr Horrible, among other things (presumably) that I don’t know about. In fact, that seems to be the main selling point. It’s mentioned well before any details regarding content other than voice recordings. In fact, it’s pretty much the only detail mentioned at all, apart from the fact that this is “story” DLC rather than “item” DLC. Who wants more Dragon Age narrative? Anyone? See what you can glean below.

Done gleaning?

You may have noticed that the elf actually looks a bit like Felicia Day, as well as sounding exactly like her. That’s because the character she’s voicing here is the one she actually plays in the live action web series Dragon Age: Redemption, which was trailerised back in February but has yet to materialise. Maybe they were holding it back until the DLC was ready. October 11, if you’re wondering. No word on price yet.

Oh, go on, here’s the Redemption trailer, ears and all.

, , , , , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. faelnor says:

Oh wow I wasn’t aware until now of how bad DA2 looks compared to TW2.

2. kazooka says:

Welcome to the Fortress Dalkon!

Anthile says:

Dragon Age 2 had some nice story ideas but overall it was just too incoherent and didn’t fit quite together. It was obviously rushed. I kind of liked DA 2 for what it was and I wouldn’t play this if it was free. I guess that says it all.

• Orija says:

Before watching the trailer I would have thought that Bioware couldn’t go any more downhill with DA.

4. MrEvilGuy says:

why is second video better graphics than first video

Lars Westergren says:

Obviously pre-rendered. Probably using that “infinite resolution” thing I’ve heard so much about.

• snibbling says:

the 2nd video is of live people acting. thats why it looks better.

Lars Westergren says:

Thank you. That was the joke.

5. sakmidrai says:

-hire expensive voice actors all the time
    -never fix the horrible graphics engine with the floating weapons

Okay…

• EOT says:

I would have thought it was more like; Hire expensive voice actors all the time but give them ear rending, hair-pullingly awful fanfic level dialogue to spout. That’s more of an issue. Also, Miss Day is not a very good VO (and I doubt she’s all that expensive either).

What’s up with this just being the Kasumi DLC from ME2 anyway?

• codename_bloodfist says:

Not sure how expensive she really is. Day’s not a very good actress to begin with and as a VO, well, I think you can hear for yourself. Not that you should care, since it’s just fanservice over fanservice at this point (like that one scene where the pirate girl what’s-her-name pulls off the 1-2-3-PROFIT! meme).

What a great way to ruin a franchise.

6. Spider Jerusalem says:

Not really buying Felicia Day as a badass assassin.

7. Spider Jerusalem says:

Also: fuck this game die already please thank you.

• Njordsk says:

No I’ve got great memories of DAO. didn’t bother with the second, but if the 3rd goes back to its roots i’m fine.

TheApologist says:

No strong feelings then?

• Danarchist says:

Someone got hit with a bowel disruptor this morning!

• Spider Jerusalem says:

I quite like the first one as well. This iteration can fuck right off, however.

8. Flocraft says:

So, a Dragon Age version of ME’s Kasumi?

Original.

• Cyberpope says:

are you implying Bioware recycles characters? Thats a rather bold statement

• The Hammer says:

That is exactly what I thought.

Siiiiiigh. Come on, Bioware. Make something good out of your stuttering fantasy series, will you? Talk about false starts!

9. Viserion says:

I actually liked the game. I guess by the amount of hate this game has generated that makes me a weirdo. Oh well.

• ZeroMatter says:

You’re not alone.

• mejoff says:

I’m enjoying it, it’s admittedly not as good as the Origin-al (!), but it’s nowhere near as bad as the spreadsheeters and other generic ‘this suxxors’ types are making out.

• Avish says:

I also liked the game and enjoyed playing it, but was still very disappointed with so many things it did wrong and the lazy design…

So yes, it was fun, but not as good as expected from Bioware.

Bluerps says:

Nah. I liked it too. The game has some glaring problems, as it was obviously very rushed, but those didn’t ruin the enjoyment for me, and I don’t think it deserves the hurricane-like shitstorm it gets from the Internet. Oh well – maybe this will inspire EA and Bioware to put more effort into their games in the future.

Carra says:

I liked it. But it was a 75% game, not the 90% game that I expect of Bioware.

• Ian says:

I liked DA2, but then I’m not the sort of person who goes on a nun-slaughtering rampage because some overhyped pixels didn’t become the newest defining moment of my life.

• GenBanks says:

The hate is definitely too extreme. I have complaints about the game but I don’t feel the need to slam it at every opportunity like some people do.

Keymonk says:

Not alone. I liked it as well.

• Trelow says:

Hear, hear!

I often wonder if there is some hip congregation somewhere that decides on what is cool to hate.

• Burning Man says:

ALL OF YOU MUST DEFENESTRATE IMMEDIATELY

• Pietre says:

The game itself was pretty mediocre and rushed but still somewhat enjoyable. That said we all know why it was judged so harshly (and rightfully so, if I may add) by the fanbase: as a sequel of origins it was downright awful if not insulting.

A lot of people hoped that Dragon Age 2 would have been for Origins what Shadow of Amn had been for Baldur’s Gate. Instead they got Neverwinter Nights without the toolset and multiplayer. And with dating simulation I guess. If this is the evolution of western rpgs Greg Zeschuk likes to flaunt about, maybe stagnation doesn’t look so bad anymore.

• theleif says:

Well, I liked it too.

• Pietre says:

Because so many hated it I guess now it’s way more cool and original to like it. Then most people will start to say it wasn’t so bad and hating on it will become cool again. And so, and so on.

jezcentral says:

I also really liked the game, and I’m against nun-slaughtering, too.

• Nick says:

How about hating it because it was lazy, ugly, poorly realised degredation of the series with a dreadful change in artstyle and some truely awful writing? Or is having the opposite opinion of someone trying to be cool now? I can’t keep up with these pathetic trends.

• DigitalSignalX says:

I loved DA:2 even though I agreed with almost all the complaints. But after 3 play-throughs I also have no interest in going back to it for some DLC.

• Alceste007 says:

You are definitely not alone. The game sold a ton of copies. The last report from EA was two million. I liked the story from the first more but I had a good time playing DA2.

10. Calneon says:

Dragon Age 1 actually looked better than Dragon Age 2 does, going by that video anyway. Has to be one of the worst sequels ever made.

• mejoff says:

It really isn’t.
      I’ll admit, I’m on the fence about the new art style, it’s very pretty, and a lot more distinctive than DA:O, but a big part of me misses the more gritty style.

• Spider Jerusalem says:

Distinctive is an interesting word to use in description of DA2.

• Erd says:

It’s hard to judge the Dragon Age 2 art style when so many of the creature and enviroment assets were copy-pasted from the original.

Stense says:

Well I for one am looking forward to this. I enjoyed Dragon Age 2 quite a lot (yes it has its flaws, yes its not as good as the original, but its still a good game despite all that) and the Legacy DLC add-on was really pretty good. One of the better DLC packs I’ve come across as a matter of fact.

12. Ian says:

Was the first DA2 DLC any good?

• Jockie says:

It was alright, decent self contained adventure, with a pretty terrible boss fight. The rest of the battles were good though, because they were quite tough without the whole spawning waves of enemies thing.

The storyline wasn’t very original though, the old, ‘Seals that hold an ancient evil’ schtick and something about Hawkes daddy.

• qrter says:

It was horrible. I quite liked the main game, and I really couldn’t stand the first DLC. If you thought the main game’s storyline was clichéd, DLC 1 will amaze you with its narrative dullness.

The DLC doesn’t even pretend there’s an “R” in “RPG”, it’s just battle after battle, dreary dungeon after dungeon. There just wasn’t anything in there that surprised or interested me. Nothing.

It’s because of the first DLC that I won’t even contemplate buying this.

(To be fair, they did bring some variety to the locations, but they would have to have been INSANE not to do that, after all the criticism they got on that specific point alone.)

13. povu says:

Do we get to pregnate Felicia Day too?

Big Murray says:

As soon as Dragon Age 2 is mentioned in any capacity, no matter that the game’s been out for ages now, you can guarantee that the comments pages will be full of reviews. “In my opinion, DA2 was rushed and wasn’t as good as the first one and The Witcher 2 is superior because blah blahdity blahblah.” Do people just like saying these things, for some reason?

CD Projekt must be tearing their hair out that their best offering can’t get away from endless comparisons to Bioware, even when Bioware bring their leftovers to the table.

• The Colonel says:

Maybe they’re happy that it seems overwhelmingly positive comparison for them? Bioware are surely the main contenders for storytelling ARPG games and CDP demonstrated that they can take them to the cleaners in all respects in that field (except DLC monetarising)

• D3xter says:

But… but, but the game was sooo bad, even with my lowered expectations I wasn’t ready for all the lazyness and bad game design choices it brought to the table, the only game in recent memory I tried playing I can even compare it to on a scale of baddy-ness is Lost Planet 2.

• Archonsod says:

I can’t really compare them. Largely because unlike DA2, The Witcher 2 still has some serious quest bugs which means I’m still in Chapter 1, and will be till they patch it.

• Nick says:

Uh, Dragon Age 2 has/had plenty of serious bugs for some people that they released DLC for the and didn’t fix.

15. Zepp says:

Elves with donkey ears! Lol’ed hard @ second trailer. Felicia’s “serious” facial mimicry + those ears = epic fail. So heroic… where are high fantasy elves? You may hate them but at least they had style and weren’t chasing a carrot.

stop at 0:22 for derp face

16. Zogtee says:

Ooh, I like me some Felicia Day, I do.

But not even Felicia can sell me on DA2. Nice try, though, EA.

17. ReV_VAdAUL says:

Felicia Day was the patient of the week on House a couple of seasons ago. Just FYI Adam.

Actually to be fair to her she also played against the normal nerd fantasy type she usually does too so probably a case of her being typecast than a lack of acting ability on her part.

18. adonf says:

Thumbs up this comment if the Bioware splash screens makes you think of a used tampon dropped into water.

Also, don’t you hate it in films that are supposed to take place in dark, medieval ages when you see a well-groomed forest like in the second video ?

• Gundrea says:

I worked ten peasants to death on that forest >:(

• adonf says:

Well you also killed its dark, medieval mood. Bad man!

• mejoff says:

There were no woodsmen in the middle ages, humans only started maintaining woodland after sports car commercials were invented.

Also Dragon Age games (and webshows) are set in real medieval Europe.

• DaFishes says:

adonf, I don’t think used tampons work the way you think they do.

It would only emit that much blood immediately upon contact with water if you were hemorrhaging.

WHAT? Don’t look at me, guys. He started it. Peace out.

19. DarkFenix says:

I wonder how creatively they’ll recycle the same cave for the three-hundred and seventieth time.

Colour me uninterested until Bioware remember how to make an old school RPG, or even just an RPG of any quality.

• mejoff says:

Or how about they carry on advancing the genre, but pay a little more attention to art assets and level design?

• theleif says:

Well, to be fair, the recycling was much worse in Mass Effect (1). What was really lazy was that they didn’t eve bother to cover the inaccessible parts with fog of war on the mini-map. That would at least made it less obvious.

20. Unaco says:

That looks horrible… All of it. If you want to know how to do a Fantasy Heist/Caper story, go read Joe Abercrombie’s “Best Served Cold”. As for that web series, maybe Game of Thrones has spoiled me, but it just looks so amateur, cheap and lame, and as if it’s purely some sort of vanity vehicle. Take the ears… the prosthetics Spock wore in the original Star Trek series were better than these ones.

shoptroll says:

I’d be more interested in the web series if it was being used as a promotional vehicle for a new game. At least then the quality gets some sort of pass due to being a marketing gimmick. “Web series” should not be synonymous with “cheap” and “lazy”.

The cynical part of me knows this is just a half-hearted attempt by EA to draw people to Dragon’s Age by capitalizing on the Felicia Day brand / association with The Guild. Which is exactly the problem, it’s half-hearted. I mean, look at that trailer. Half of it is spent with a panning shot of her legs running through the forest. It doesn’t tell us anything other than generic fantasy with Felicia Day. I’m sure they got a fair amount of applause at Comic-Con but I really hate it when corporations are blatantly yanking gamers around by our nerdy chains like this.

• DaFishes says:

Yes, this.

21. Freud says:

Dragon Age 2? More like Dragon Age Poo.

You’ve been zinged, Bioware.

22. ASBO says:

“live action web series”

Eh, wha—?

23. akeso says:

I think the most appropriate response is:

“I never asked for this.”

shoptroll says:

Am I the only one who thinks the face for Felicia Day’s character doesn’t look right in-game? It’s close but whoa is that stuck in the uncanny valley.

This is a problem advertising “likeness” as part of the selling point. If your engine/artists don’t have the ability to make a believable version of a character from a live-action tie-in, don’t do this. Plain and simple.

• Pietre says:

Nope, you’re not the only one. Miranda/Yvonne Strahovski gave me the same vibes. I guess most people were more interested in her other “qualities”.

25. DaFishes says:

I like Felicia Day fine. She seems like a nice lady. She’s been in shows I like.

But honestly, using her as a marketing ploy was old last year. And she sounds like an LA 20-something in this trailer.

And if you watch all the BioWare/EA employees on Twitter, they are *constantly* tweeting at her like lovelorn idiots, and she hardly ever tweets back. It’s quite pathetic.

26. Wooly says:

RPS commenters: jesus stop whining already.

27. Kaira- says:

Oh god that trailer. I don’t know if you could make the description of the location any more generic. Maybe by placing it inside a skull cave on the side of an ancient volcano inhabited by evil dragons and stuff like that. So, so cringeworthy.

And the narration voice was so irksome.

28. Chronos1985 says:

There was a time, when I would actually be excited about a Bioware product. Those were the days…

• Hoaxfish says:

There are days when I was excited about Black Isle, Troika, etc products… and had to settle for Bioware while I waited.

29. Squirrelfanatic says:

Death.Trap.Dungeon.

30. Betamax says:

Looks good, and not the easiest choice they could have picked in terms of money making or otherwise.

There is other info out about it though, on the forums if nowhere else. They have discussed a new stealth mechanics that actually make it a viable gameplay style, larger maps, more new enemies and other stuff. Seems to have gone down pretty well with the crowd on their forums, and that isn’t the easiest lot to please. They actually seem to be listening to feedback, and they aren’t just knocking these DLCs out willy nilly, a complaint I’ve seen directed at other games.

Felicia Elf-face is apparently a temporary companion with her own specialisation and style and plenty of dialogue (so more than Kasumi), which sounds good to me. Liara worked well enough in a similar capacity in LotSB.

Really though, I’m beginning to wish I could click on a DA2 related news post in some parts and not have to wade through a sea of silly comments re-hashing the same old, now quite tired, bashes of the game. I mean, it had plenty of flaws, and by all means bring them up whenever the game gets mentioned, but can’t it be even moderately constructive? Or even amusing? The amount of purely daft (and not even funny) comments regarding this game’s reputation has gotten rather old and blown out of all proportion.

31. seruko says:

I have no interest in purchasing anymore bioware products after the abortion that was DA2.

32. Kaldor says:

DA:O was the better “game” in principle, but story there was not. It was “enter area: dialogue” and “dialogue before leaving area”. Inbetween “fight, fight, fight”. The hyped choices and consequences were a disappointment: it was standard, if not below average, RPG fare.

Thinking back on it, I’d say killing off Duncan, as brave as it was, also killed off any interesting, relevant character dynamics. I mean, everyone likes that guy. After that it’s chunks that seem completely self-contained, and not more than two or three real plot points.

33. JohnH says:

I finished DA2 once, as much as the buggy final act would let me, and the promptly uninstalled it. First Bioware game I’ve ever promptly uninstalled after my first playthrough. And the only thing that got me through it all was that I enjoyed the fights. Hope they actually learn from this poor excuse of a game (and not just say they will) and make a good game to finish the trilogy.

34. fiasco says:

So I guess the question remans: Do you want to romance her avatar?