Steamy Windows: Deus Ex 3 Patched/Defaced

By Alec Meer on September 16th, 2011 at 3:44 pm.

Blu Ray is the VHS of 2027

“Patch notes, RPS? Really?” YES REALLY WHAT OF IT, EH? When it’s a game as big as Deus Ex: Human Revolution, a lot of what might otherwise be minor becomes major. Square-Enix have chased a few bugs out of their bearded man simulator, including some important-sounding stuttering performance snafus, as well as adding in the really very useful windowed full-screen mode, the saviour of impatient alt-tabbers the world over. Most importantly: you can now skip the logos at the start of the game. Alas, it also introduces occasional tiny but silly/obnoxious loading screen ads, as seen above. No, I don’t have time to watch a 70s cowboys in space soap opera for the millionth time, no matter how high its definitions are: I have a world to save from corruption and people with robot legs. Thank heavens the last patch improved load times so I don’t have to stare at this cheekily-added promotional bumpf for even longer. There’s a dark rumour more ads might come to in-game billboards, which is an extremely unpleasant and disruptive prospect. Let’s hope it doesn’t come to pass.

Update: there’s an ad-disabling mod here. Thanks, Theory.

Meantime, full patch notes are below. Bulletpoints!

Fixes:
– We have addressed various issues that can occur for players that would result in ‘stuttering’.
– Stutters that are the result of graphics driver shader processing are now removed or significantly reduced.
– Stutters that are the result of data streaming have been removed or significantly reduced.
– Performance has been improved and made more stable on dual-core systems. This could previously also result in stuttering.
– Fixed issue where some players couldn’t complete the Motherly Ties side quest.
– Fixed an issue where doors in Omega Ranch sometimes wouldn’t open.
– The TYM medical card should no longer fall through the table if an NPC’s body comes into contact with the card. Players already stuck in this area will need to revert to a previous save before the card fell through.
– Occasional hangs for some players during video-playback have been fixed.
– A crash on startup when running DX11 on a single-core CPU has been fixed.
– An issue causing Eyefinity setups to not be correctly detected for some players has been fixed.
– Fixed an issue where the HUD would get permanently disabled for some players.
– Fixed certain issues that caused the mouse cursor to be able to leave the game-screen on multi-monitor setups.
– Fixed an issue that caused the mouse cursor to not be visible in-game when the user has mouse trails enabled in Windows. We still recommend disabling mouse trails for a smoother in-game mouse cursor.
– Fixed issue where ammo count for collected guns is incorrect when Adams weapon is augmented.
– In DX9 mode:
– Fixed error message for some users when trying to use FXAA Medium or FXAA Low anti aliasing modes.
– Fixed shadow-mapping ‘lines’ on some graphics hardware when using anisotropic filtering.

Feature Additions:
– The Enter and Numpad-Enter keys can now be bound to game actions in the keyboard control menu.
– Intro logos can now be skipped on all but the first run of the game.
– Added windowed mode.
– Selectable in the menu, and can be toggled between windowed, fullscreen, and fullscreen windowed using ALT-ENTER.
– Added an option to change the text language of the game. This setting only changes the text language, the audio is controlled by the language option in Steam.

I don’t think I encountered any bugs in my playthrough, apart from an occasional clipping error. Either I was lucky, or unperceptive. I’d vote the latter.

Oh – and the Eidos Montreal Tumblr has revealed a few more nuggets about the upcoming Missing Link DLC. Firstly, you’ll be able to play it at any point – it’ll appear as a new menu option, rather than requiring you to reach a certain point in the main game. Seems a little jarring, but I suppose otherwise they’d require people to either replay or have kept a specific savegame.

Secondly, with regard to the story if the DLC, ““The new characters are Netanya Keitner and Pieter Burke. Both work for Belltower Associates. More info on them soon! And while it is not essential in any way to have read The Icarus Effect, it is certainly a good idea to do so not only because the DLC has subtle references to it, but also because it’s a great novel, period.”

More here, including the disappointing news that The Missing Link won’t contain a new hub area.

, .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. DrGonzo says:

Yes! I’ve been putting off playing the game due to huge amounts of stuttering, great to hear they are sorting it out.

EDIT – But oh dear, Star Wars? Wait… What?

• RakeShark says:

Star Wars Augmented Edition?

• ananachaphobiac says:

Wasn’t Star Wars already augmented? I mean there were at least 2 major characters running around with mechanical limbs by the end of it all.

• MadMinstrel says:

• baaoma says:

Value for money, do online shopping in the unexpected, a mix of world famous brand. Reliable quality! Welcome to :

• Nick says:

“Stuttering? What stuttering? I played the game to completion twice and didn’t notice any stuttering whatsoever. ”

Welcome to issues that don’t happen to everyone.

• Zogtee says:

“Stuttering? What stuttering? I played the game to completion twice and didn’t notice any stuttering whatsoever. My PC isn’t all that nice anymore either.”

Because everyone is exactly like you.

• mollemannen says:

another person that thinks he is better than anyone else because he doesn’t have the same problem. god i hate people that responds to forumposts and comments describing problems just to say they don’t have the same problem.

• MadMinstrel says:

Oh gee. I was simply interested in how common the problem was and what causes it (because I’m interested in game graphics technology slightly more than in the games themselves) since I hadn’t heard about it before. I did not by any means imply that it’s impossible for anybody to have a problem because I didn’t. That would be stupid, and quite frankly I’m amazed how some of you ever conceived of such a ridiculous notion. But of course you had to lynch me for my innocent question. Bah. Internet people.

• gabbaell says:

‘I was simply interested in how common the problem was and what causes it’

In that case, maybe you should have asked how common the problem was.

• 2late2die says:

@MadMinstrel: Don’t tell me you’re surprised at that, this is the internet after all :)

• Sweetz says:

“another person that thinks he is better than anyone else because he doesn’t have the same problem. god i hate people that responds to forumposts and comments describing problems just to say they don’t have the same problem”

Yeah, you know the only thing worse than that? People who are in a minority experiencing specific problems (often due to a rare setup that few people have or straight up ignorance/poor system maintenance), won’t accept any suggestion that the problem isn’t universal because their system “plays every other game fine”, and prattles on to no end about how it was completely irresponsible to release the game in a “massively” broken state, how they’ll never buy a game again, and blah, blah, blah.

• Zogtee says:

“I was simply interested in how common the problem was and what causes it”

And you thought that not actually asking anything of the sort would be a good way to find out.

• MadMinstrel says:

Why yes, when I have a question, my first impulse is to ask it. What do you do with your questions? :D

• subkamran says:

Thank GOD. I couldn’t play DXHR on my 8GB RAM Core i7 laptop because of the stuttering. My PC played it, but I did notice the stuttering after I saw it on my laptop but it wasn’t unplayable. Too bad I already beat the game. This will be nice for the 2nd playthrough, though!

• Unaco says:

What does GOD have to do with anything? I think it’s the Developers that you want to be thanking.

• subkamran says:

Unaco, it’s clear by all accounts that God told the developers to patch the game. I can’t believe you didn’t know this.

• Unaco says:

Did God also tell them to introduce the loading screen ads?

• Adventurous Putty says:

No, Unaco, it was the dinosaurs. Get it right damnit!

• mollemannen says:

“Oh gee. I was simply interested in how common the problem was and what causes it”

by acting like there can’t be other people with problems at all? next time madminstrel try to not act like the person having problem must be doing something completely wrong because the mere notion of a flaw in a game makes you loose your pipe and monocle.

“Yeah, you know the only thing worse than that? People who are in a minority experiencing specific problems”

yes but like you imply; these people are a minority.

2. ResonanceCascade says:

This doesn’t fix the input latency that’s producing the floaty mouse feel, unfortunately. But it does run better now for sure.

• DrGonzo says:

I got rid of that by disabling V-sync, or at least it felt like it did. It’s a bit of a bummer though as I get lots of tearing with it off, even though the game stutters lots and doesn’t feel like it’s running anywhere near 60fps.

• ResonanceCascade says:

Yeah, turning off VSync and some of the other settings helps, but the screen tearing is awful. Vsync will generally cause SOME latency but I’ve only seen it this bad once before, and that was with the Dark Athena/Escape From Butcher Bay release.

So right now it’s either play with obnoxious latency or obnoxious tears in the screen.

• djbriandamage says:

Try disabling Vsync in the game and forcing it at the driver level. That nearly doubled the framerate for me which fixed the mouse controls while eliminating the tearing.

• Xerian says:

Actually, theres a crapload of gamnes where Vsync will give you a high “latency”, and some even have bugged Vsync related to their engines (Red Faction: Guerilla being one the worst I’ve ever had as to high latecy caused by Vsync – – It was terrible for me) – However, I didnt get all that much latency from Vsync in Deus Ex as I usually would from 90% of all other games, but disabled it anyhow as I could care much less about it, and I bloody love aimin’ properly. Teh.

• dorkus1218 says:

There’s a registry value that will turn off mouse acceleration (and possibly ease your woes:) http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/deus-ex-human-revolution/show_msgs.php?pid=944090&topic_id=m-1-60125192

• MD says:

The best remedy for input lag in my case was just pushing the framerate as high as possible. Turning down ‘maximum pre-rendered frames’ or whatever the ATI equivalent is called didn’t make any noticeable difference, but running at a low resolution took it from unplayably awful to not too bad. I can only assume I was getting input lag of a constant number of frames, regardless of which settings I used. (Vsync might have made it worse, I don’t know — I had it off from the start.)

3. Decimator says:

Didn’t even realise there was loading screen advertising. I played in Steam Offline mode.

4. jellydonut says:

this will kill my ‘deus ex debug’ mod, right?

5. Vagrant says:

“-Intro logos can now be skipped on all but the first run of the game.”

I almost want to buy the game just to support this feature.

• Bostec says:

I wanted this too, but I don’t know now, the build up music towards the title screen gets my WILLY up..or is it; HAIRS up, not sure which one, probably both.

Wisq says:

Except that they should have been skippable from day one, just like pretty much every game … I can’t recall the last time that a game forced me to watch all those opening movies, with no means of skipping them. (Maybe I’m forgetting some because I modded them to remove the movies …)

• Vagrant says:

The worst is when a game update restore the unskippable splash videos. (Damn you Borderlands!) Seems to me that almost every game nowadays has unskippable, needlessly long and complex splash screens.

Maybe if they’d cut that 1 minute of content everybody hates anyways, they could shave a few weeks off dev time. Just leave it at a logo or something. Everybody wins!

• Bostec says:

You know what still pisses me off? The Civ 5 unskippble Intro movie on Steam. You have to look at that ugly old man’s face for the 1000th time before the repeated headbutting of the ESC key triggers in and you can get to the menu. At least Deus EX had some music to look forward too.

• Archonsod says:

That’s because the game is loading while that movie is played. You can disable it via an ini tweak if you’d rather look at a loading screen.

• Theory says:

@Bostec: Use Google. I disabled that ages ago. You still have to wait a while because the videos cover a loading process, but a black screen is better than blaring videos.

@Vagrant: how much do you want to bet that internal builds don’t have any intro videos at all?

• Bostec says:

I would rather look at a blonde with big tits but I suppose thats too much to ask. A loading screen would of been better indeed, hell, information on a random civilization thats in the game would of been better. Time to look at that ini file I suppose.

• Abundant_Suede says:

Reply Fumble.

VelvetFistIronGlove says:

@Wisq: They were skippable from day zero, but not day one. The leaked press preview had all the intro screens skippable by pressing Enter, including the disclaimer one that is still not skippable. And then none of them were skippable in the final release. But it’s good to see most of them now being skippable in some degree.

6. Flint says:

Finally.

7. Shooop says:

New debug menu mod, gibbed’s really on the ball with this game.

8. Hoaxfish says:

in 2027, the Star Wars: Enhanced Edition will feature a complete redo of the original 3 films so that they star the cast from the last 6 new new films, with John Wayne vat-clone 5 starring as Luke Starwalker’s evil twin as Lucas originally envisaged

• ASBO says:

By which point George Lucas will be a living effigy of Jabba the Hut, fed intravenously with fanboy tears and liquidised disappointment.

• LionsPhil says:

But will episodes 7, 8, and 9 have been released yet?

• Sabre_Justice says:

But that change would actually be awesome.

More likely they’ll digitally replace Chewbacca with Jar Jar Binks.

• thegooseking says:

But will episodes 7, 8, and 9 have been released yet?

There’s an email in the Highland Park facility that references “Episode 9″. It doesn’t directly mention Star Wars, but it does talk about getting there early to avoid standing in line. I kind of assumed it meant Star Wars.

• eclipse mattaru says:

@thegooseking: It may also mean Half Life.

• Alexander Norris says:

The postbacks in the comments for that lead to an interesting find: http://loofamily.info/?p=3535

Appears to just be reposting RPS content, albeit with a big red “GO TO THE SOURCE URL FOR UP-TO-DATE NEWS” warning.

• rayne117 says:

Loofamily has better writers.

• Shih Tzu says:

Yeah, I think there’s a ton of those. Basically any even moderately popular blog is going to have its content copied and reposted by thieves trying to get hits from Google and leech some ad revenue.

Shame to see the Loo Family sinking to that level, though. They used to have genuine insights into the perspective of sentient loos.

9. theCHENRY says:

Mouse trails? Who the hell is using mouse trails in 2011??

• Unaco says:

The visually impaired.

• LionsPhil says:

2011 is the future. They should have replacement cyber-eyes by now.

• Wulf says:

It’s morbidly fascinating for me to see a big publisher support accessibility more than anyone else.

I… didn’t think I’d ever say this, but… hey, developers? Look at what Eidos is doing. They’re actually being considerate. Try that, it’ll mean more sales overall.

Of course, Valve are still the kings of considerate when it comes to accessibility. Still, nice to see that others are trying to make an effort.

• Weylund The Second says:

I think a lot of developers might not even think about it, or think they can do anything to help. A few months ago I happened onto a forum where my company’s game was being discussed, waded in to chat about it, and met a person who was asking for some very specific features in the game so that it could work properly with assistive software.

The changes weren’t difficult at all – half an hour later the changes were in the code – but now our accessibility is improved considerably. We’ve added a few more such features since. If there were some way to raise awareness of what’s needed amongst indie developers I bet we could provide much better accessibility support across the board.

10. ASBO says:

FFS the author of that article suggests it would be “rad” if they would include Darth Vader as a cameo in the game.

Really? Would that be rad? Would that not utterly destroy the wonderful immersion of the game?

Oh wait, maybe just having ads plastered over loading screens will do that also.

Does EA/Square Enix really need to monetise the fuck out this even more?

God I’m an angry internet man today.

• Sabre_Justice says:

Actually, I find in-game advertising and commercialisation would probably actually fit in a game with cyberpunk themes, where the whole point is how the world has become commercialised.

• MattM says:

If they used fake ads, I would be ok with that, but real in-game ads are almost always more annoying, repetitive and in your face than fake ones. Even if it is “realistic,” ubiquitous ads are something I would like to get away from in video games. There are plenty of deliberate breaks from reality in even the most realistic videogames that are done to improve gameplay, I would like removing ads to be one of those breaks in all games that I play. (THANK GOODNESS FOR MODS!)

11. Unaco says:

I’m actually OK with the in-game billboard ads, if they’re done right, and reckon they could actually help with the immersion. They could fit in so well with the DXHR World… the MegaCorporations and big shiny computer billboards. They certainly didn’t hurt in BladeRunner, and went some way to helping define the style of that movie. Could be the same with this. But, they’d have to fit… Not just current real world ads transplanted to the game, but ads made contemporary to 2027.

The ads on loading screens are pretty appalling though.

• adonf says:

Blade Runner has an Atari ad, which is funny because Atari went under like 20 years ago, ha ha ha

• ResonanceCascade says:

Atari didn’t go under, they were a publisher for a while and now they’re doing god-knows-what.

• LionsPhil says:

Infogrames’ brand necrophillia has tried its hardest to keep future Atari billboards plausible.

• Soon says:

I’m hoping we see hacked billboards selling counterfeit, Chinese goods.

• terry says:

I agree, in the context of Deus Ex I thought the billboard ads were fitting with the environment. The Final Fantasy posters in Pritchard’s office gave me some pause, but they still fit. In fact, my first reaction was surprise that the numeral was so low. Shades of Jaws 19 in Back to the future 2.

EDIT: Erm, wait, wasn’t this turned on since day 1? I’m confused at the angry reactions below.

EDIT 2: Now I am cognizant of the situation, I do not approve. Loading ads aren’t in the spirit of the game experience – they work directly against that.

12. Shinan says:

So if this game is now ad-supported does that mean it’ll be free to play?

13. Olivaw says:

See, the ads on the loading screens bother me more than ads in the actual game world. Those are distracting and annoying and take me out of the game, whereas seeing an ad for Dr. Pepper in 2027 Detroit has no effect on my immersion whatsoever.

There’s already so many ads for fake shit throughout the game, and they tend to repeat all over the place. It’s one thing to see an ad for a show called “Metamorfoso”, it’s another to see it like eight times within fifty feet. Throwing in a few ads for things that actually exist might break up the monotony.

Hell, some of the most iconic bits of Blade Runner kitsch are the product placement. Coke blimp? Neon Atari logo? Hello?

• kwyjibo says:

I agree here. The loading screen ads totally take away from the experience by being outside of the game context.

In game billboards can work if the designers put thought into it.

• ASBO says:

I think the point is to be distracting. That way they guarantee eyeballs, whilst limiting the amount of overhead required to implement it.

The thing is, this might backfire, because no-one wants the loading screens there in the first place. So they are already an annoyance. So all those eyeballs will associate the advertised product(s) with a sense of annoyance.

• Torgen says:

“may” backfire? Evidence downthread would indicate it already has.

• Eamo says:

I think people generally are happy to tolerate adds as part of a free service with some costs to support, on game websites, as part of an online lobby system, even show them during patch installation and people are pretty happy.

But when you pay a lot of money for a game, only to have ads patched in after the fact, it reeks of being exploited. I know it cost money to develop the game, thats why I was happy to pay you €50 for it! What I didn’t want to do is pay you money so that, after the fact, you can alter my experience to sell my time to some third party. Because like it or not, that is what is happening, the loading screens now take that little bit longer due to needing to load in ad graphics, my escape into gaming is now that little bit less complete due to being annoyed by ads and I feel that little bit more exploited from having a product I bought on good faith suddenly patched into another tool to exploit my eyeballs for profit. I paid already dammit!

14. Nim says:

Deus Ex stuttered to the point that I could not participate in firefights, and when I tried to lower graphics the game crashed and refused to start until I reset settings. Still a good game.

15. Radiant says:

Really hoped they’d add the bullet point for “Made the game look 10X better”.

It really is a poor looking game.

• Gundrea says:

Yeah, what’s with all that yellow paint everywhere? And the buildings are so dusty!

• Radiant says:

Hah they don’t pay cyborg security officers like they used to.

• Zenicetus says:

It’s not quite up to Witcher 2 or even Mass Effect 2 graphic quality, but the overall game was good enough that it didn’t bother me that it looked a bit dated.

There was one pretty bad flaw in the graphics though. For some reason, they rendered the cutscenes in a different color palette and with a softer look than the in-game graphics. It was like they did them all in a different, earlier game engine and then ported it over (which may have been what happened?). It was jarring to watch a cutscene and then have the game suddenly shift back to a different look when it went full interactive again.

• kikito says:

To me the looks were enjoyable and more than enough. I’d rather have them spend their time in something more productive, like improving the boss fights, or a better AI for the “Give me Deux Ex” difficulty setting.

16. Chris Evans says:

We were already planning a piece on in-game ads, then this appeared so we hastily updated it, so voila, thougths about ads in games – http://www.thereticule.com/?p=3528

The Sombrero Kid says:

DX:HR has been soiled by their complete shamelessness in gouging their customers at every turn.

18. jay35 says:

If you’re going to make ad revenue within the game, you should charge significantly less for the game. When you charge regular price, people will hack a workaround to disable the ads.

19. Zanchito says:

WHAT THE FU*CK?! I was under the impression I ALREADY PAID FOR THE GAME. I DO NOT WANT BLOODY ADS ON IT, IF I WANTED ADS, I’D WATCH TELEVISION.

God, can I hit them back somehow?

• Zanchito says:

Sorry about the rant, it really drives me nuts. So they are getting more money at my expense, but it doesn’t revert back to me in any way? The bug fixes do not count, I have a right to a bug free product.

• MonolithicTentacledAbomination says:

This. What the hell, S-E?

Actually, I didn’t buy it yet. And just for this, I will hold off until I can get it for a price so low the S-E won’t be able to buy a latte with their cut of the profit.

• My2CENTS says:

I’m sorry, but do you get nervous when YouTube pops ads in the begging of the video? Same here ads are a way to fund the studio after the game is sold, yes the loading screen could be a bit annoying but the fellow modder (Rick) fixed that before ads were even released (which im thankful for – i played the game with ads removed). So stop bitchin’ and download this.

I do prefer in-game ads rather than some stupid still of Nvidia across all billboards.

• MattM says:

Yeah, if I really want to play a game a few ads aren’t going to put me off, but they make it much more likely that I am going to wait for it to be $5 than to spend $25 or $50. I will also probably try to mod them out.

• Nick says:

You are missing the difference.. we don’t pay for youtube. Stop bending over and saying “Thank you sir may I have another?”

• malkav11 says:

Youtube operates one of the most bandwidth intensive services on the internet, for free. Bandwidth is not free. Ergo, Youtube must fund operations somehow, and advertisements are how they’ve chosen to do this.

If Deus Ex: Human Revolution were a free product in need of a funding source to offset the costs of development and distribution, advertisements would be a legitimate choice for that funding source (albeit a potentially offputting and irritating one). It is not. It is, in fact, a $50 retail product.

• My2CENTS says:

Look at it like this: i prefer in-game ads as a way to ensure future support or to prevent some new monstrous DRM, or even to prevent scrapping the project due to no finance.

20. Blackcompany says:

When playing big, story driven games such as these I very much want to be immersed in the game world. During loading screens I enjoy scenery, lore and information pertaining to the game world. If you need loading screens at least make them pleasant to look at.

There is no way I will ever pay money for a game which yanks me out of every experience by advertising other games by the same company during load screens. While the in-game bulletin boards featuring real ads would actually be a cool experience – and immersive, even – I simply cannot stomach the idea of paying for a game that would show me ads on loading screens.

Besides which, I furthermore cannot stomach the idea of paying $50 for an ad-supported game which spams me with commercial material constantly. IF you are making that kind of revenue from your game, how about you use it to lower the cost of the product for gamers, or maybe put together a high-res texture pack…

Sorry, I will pass.

21. chabuhi says:

Did the first patch ever hit Steam? If so, I’ve noticed no improvement in load times.

• dorkus1218 says:

It did – I had a drastic decrease in load times. I think they said it would only affect certain hardware configurations.

• Milky1985 says:

If your in the UK then you won’t notice the load time fixing patch, it was effectively a day 0 for us cause it was out 2 days after the us release. So I would guess they left debug code in :p

22. airtekh says:

I had a quick playtest of this last night, it didn’t seem to solve the stuttering problems I had with the game. :(

I think I’ll save my second playthrough for a few more patches down the line.

On the other hand, skippable intros! Hurrah!

The Sombrero Kid says:

My favourite part is how they didn’t enable this till after all the reviewers were done with it, to make sure the game you play isn’t the same game that was critically acclaimed.

If i wasn’t so pissed off about it i’d crack a joke about it being a conspiracy or something.

• LionsPhil says:

Well, at least you can reinstall and only apply the first patch, right?

OH WAIT STEAM LOL

• psyk says:

How is it not the same game? if anything it’s better than when it was first reviewed. Oh ads molested you in the past i see.

OHHHHH NO a load screen, shut eyes for 15 secs, open eyes, play game.

• Blackcompany says:

I agree completely and I sympathize with those who paid for this game before they began a heinous practice like showing ads on loading screens. Can you imagine the ridicule they would have received for this, if reviewers were exposed to it? No, this was done quite on purpose, in order to avoid the catastrophic PR disaster which would otherwise have resulted from reviewers seeing these ads and such.
      This is insulting for players. That’s bad. Worse yet however, it is insulting for reviewers and the media. These people trust devs to provide them with the same game the public will play, so that they can pass on a qualified opinion to their subscribers and those who trust them sufficiently to visit their sites.
      Notice that word there. Trust. Yep, that one, starts and ends with a T.
      Worse perhaps than modifying the game in this way AFTER people have purchased the game, is that the devs also broke trust with the media. Now reviewers have placed the stamp of “amazing” on a game which shamelessly spams players with adds on every loading screen. Now they have praised this game to the heavens for what it was, and must now face what it has become: a shameless means for self-promotion from EA. Now, media outlets like PCgamer and RPS have to deal with the fact that they have lauded praise on an EA ad-spammer.
      Were I a respected member of the media responsible for reviewing games, I would automatically subtract one full point from every review, for every game. I would then qualify this with, “Though the game itself easily rates a 9.5, they inevitable and shameless marketing promos with which EA will spam customers during game play force me to give it an 8.5 instead. Since this will happen, eventually.”
      This is a betrayal of trust, and frankly, I would try and get a return and refund. The product you bought is neither the one advertised nor the one you are currently stuck with. Every right for anger.

• LionsPhil says:

(You mean Squeenix, not EA.)

The Sombrero Kid says:

especially given the game is about abusing the power of centralised technology and the media, hold on, maybe this is some sort of ARG!

24. kuran says:

Do Eidos/SQuenix have/had ads on RPS?

• Torgen says:

The entire site was wrapped around a Dues Ex ad recently, wasn’t it?

• Alec Meer says:

What on Earth does that have to do with ads being retroactively added to a game you’ve paid for?

• RakeShark says:

Rawr, retroactive revenue revulsion riot retrospective! Recall!

• kuran says:

Just getting a little pissed off about the ‘godlike’ reception the game received on RPS. And this ugly ad-business (after we all paid them for the game already) doesn’t seem to get the editorial exposure it deserves.

I finished the game, and I wish I didn’t pay $30 for it.

• Pointless Puppies says:

Last time I checked, I didn’t pay $50 to read RPS.

If I did, you bet your ass I wouldn’t want ads in my face.

• Jeremy says:

What constitutes appropriate exposure? Is a post on RPS, speaking of their opinion of in-game ads as “extremely unpleasant” then linking to a mod to remove them not “appropriate” enough?

• Unaco says:

“Just getting a little pissed off about the ‘godlike’ reception the game received on RPS”

Why? It’s the reception the writers felt it deserved. It’s the reception the majority of people think the game deserves. It’s received critical acclaim, commercial success, and it’s confounded expectations by living up to the original. Why do you get pissed off at RPS recognising a truly great game? It’s not as if they’ve failed to point out the flaws of the game (somewhat lacklustre graphics, the boss fights)… but they’ve felt that the rest of the game more than makes up for any deficiencies/flaws it may have. Should RPS not give us their honest opinions?

• Nick says:

so, hang on, you are basically suggesting they bought exposure with ad money.. in an article where RPS are slagging them off? Are you stupid or.. stupid?

25. Strontium Mike says:

Anyone gotten the windowed mode to work in any resolution other than 640×480? I hate playing games full screen.

26. Hey What? says:

Really? Ads? This is the last time i ever buy any thing with squares or eidos’s name on it.

• KenTWOu says:

Really? Ads? Cool feature! Reminds me about Blade Runner movie. Wait! That’s odd. I can’t see any ads in the game. My version of the game doesn’t show me any ads. They cheat me!!! This is the last time i ever buy any thing with squares or eidos’s name on it.

27. bit_crusherrr says:

I think you should get some of your money back every time you see an AD in-game.

28. Zogtee says:

“Fixed issue where some players couldn’t complete the Motherly Ties side quest.”

For the love of God, thank you.

29. Eclipse says:

wtf is this shit? in game ads are so 2000, and it was a flop

30. Hendar23 says:

That’s fucking cheap, adding advertising in a patch after release when they know fine well thousands of people would not have bought it if ads had been in at review time.

31. psyk says:

How would advertising in game (On a billboard/poster/tv screen) be any better than in the loading screen? They are getting payed in both cases.

32. orcane says:

Somehow my framerate now drops to unplayable levels if I get close to walls, objects etc. (ie. interacting with anything just got really annoying).

That’s with no settings changed after I played this for 30 hours with the only technical issues being noticeable stutter when new areas were loaded after entering new areas or loading savegames. Now it’s basically unplayable, but hey at least the stutter is mostly gone.

I’m glad Steam decided to ignore my “don’t autoupdate this game” setting…

33. Snuffy the Evil says:

I don’t know what you would call it, but I think it’s funny just how perfectly the themes in Human revolution match the new Star Wars debacle.

“It’s my X, I can do what I want with it, and now it’s even BETTER”.

“But your X was perfectly fine to begin with! This technology is DAMAGING YOUR OWN HUMANITY.”

Irony, maybe? I don’t know. I’m tired.

34. jonfitt says:

Has anyone tried added items to their lmhosts file to block these ads?

35. Shooop says:

A loading screen in general is an immersion-killer. An ad being on it doesn’t make me any more likely to stick around instead of going to get another drink, so the joke’s on the advertisers. However I see your point in they’re being added after the game’s release.

• terry says:

This. Ubisoft sold From Dust under the same sort of EULA buffoonery.

36. Mark says:

Fuck everything about this. If you care at all about games as a piece of craft, you will see this as categorically A Bad Thing, and I am very grateful to the person who, very rightfully, has created a mod to filter this crap out.

37. goettel says:

In-game ads in general aren’t that big of a deal to me, as long as they fit, which means the creative people should have a say to determine if an ad gets in. Somehow, I doubt this was the case here. Hopefully games will mature to the point where films (of any note) have been for years. Seeing a Coke and Atari ad in Bladerunner was EPIC. Seeing a Star Wars ad in Deus Ex is just laughable.

38. Vinraith says:

This sounds like further grounds to wait for a good sale. My purchase price is being partly subsidized by ad revenue, well done Squeenix.

39. LionsPhil says:

Hang on a tick.
    Ctrl-F, “I never asked for this”.
    No results.

Gentlemen. We have all failed.

40. ssbowers says:

Patched just in time for me to finish it and save the world again. Boo.

41. geoffreyk says:

Just wanted to throw out there that while this fixed many of the common complaints (like the intro-ads thing), it did not fix a particularly frustrating bug for me, a hard-reset caused by any and all pre-rendered videos, 100% of the time. The only way I managed to get through the game was by disabling 7 out of 8 threads on my CPU; others were able to sort it out by manually setting process-affinity by alt-tabbing out of the game after launching it, before entering the game proper.

I’m really hoping it is fixed before the DLC comes out.

42. vodkarn says:

While I appreciate all of this, windowed mode won’t change from 640×480 for me…
    C’mon Nixxes, I know this is your bag.

43. geoffreyk says:

On the subject of in-game ads, I’m not morally against it. I pay for Cable TV, and I still see ads on television shows; it is a cost being taken out on both ends.

With these new loading screen ads, the biggest problem is that they’re monetizing something which should otherwise be optimized against. It isn’t an ethical or moral issue, but they’ve now set themselves up to where there might be monetary incentive to make loading screens last longer, rather than speeding them up as much as possible.

Also, not suggesting that they WILL intentionally slow things down. It simply represents a conflict of interest, i.e., my interest in fast-to-nonexistent loading screens, and their interest in moneys.

The Sombrero Kid says:

Although I personally wouldn’t put up with it in the cable TV case, either, I don’t think people are complaining about multiple revenue streams, I think the complaints are mainly that:

A: they were sold an ad free product which then had ads forcefully inserted
      B:the ads don’t fit in the context of the game, the most obvious parallel on TV are those repulsive and universally repulsive banner ads on TV.
      C: the product they received wasn’t better or cheaper than alternatives, you probably wouldn’t put up with the cable TV analogy if your terrestrial operator had the same number of channels.

• geoffreyk says:

A: In total agreement.
      B: I could take or leave this argument; most ads I encounter have nothing to do with the content they’re attached to, and in the case of loading screens, my game-brain is already on mute, waiting for the game to come back. I also don’t think they’re comparable to banner ads, which are inserted mid-content, often cover things up, etc. Just to be clear, I’m only talking loading screen here. The in-game billboards, afaik, were known prior to the release of the game, and generally fit in, as they’re billboards in a place you wouldn’t be surprised to see billboards. Also, honestly, I’d be less jarred by ads for Coca-Cola, than the billboards I saw on my playthrough advertising Squeenix or Eidos. Those were scratching at my 4th wall.
      C: This is not provable, and my own subjective experience suggests that the product I received was of a much higher quality than most other products of an equivalent up-front price. Who’s to say that without the advertising revenue booked for the loading screen ads (assuming Eidos had the ink dry on the ad contracts early in the process, though more damning wrt item A above), they would’ve been able to employ the same staff for the same duration?
      D: Consider my previous post a thought in addition to the above, not as a counter to any of them. I was thinking more along the lines that ads on loading screens are akin to tax revenue from vice being used to fund the social good: the drive to encourage the social good can result in a promotion of vice.

44. DarkByke says:

so what if it has ads? I don’t really care. stop crying about it

• Pointless Puppies says:

Yes, how dare people be bothered by something! I am the quintessential human being! If I am not bothered by something, nobody in any capacity can EVER be bothered by it either! I decree a complete ban on anyone ever disliking in-game ads, because they do not bother me!

• kikito says:

So what if you don’t care? I don’t care that you don’t care.

• Nick says:

Stop crying about people crying about it.

45. Jazz42 says:

huh, the Icarus Effect is a good novel?
    Must have missed that when I read it….and I actually like James Swallow’s BL output.
    To be fair it’s fine, just a bit slow.

46. matrices says:

So what you’re saying is that Eidos has “upgraded” our biochip?

Oh, the irony.

47. truths33ker says:

Ah, well. I was holding off on installing any mods ’til after I’d finished my first playthru, but loading-screen ads is just one of those good-faith-spoiling annoyances I feel compelled to subvert any chance I get…

48. wodin says:

Please god not another Deus Ex article….aren’t you bored of it yet…I never even got half way through before my mind tired.

49. Xaos says:

Peter Burke, of White Collar fame. ;)