Oh! And Also A Heart of the Swarm Trailer

By Jim Rossignol on October 23rd, 2011 at 5:08 pm.

I am going to hotkey so fast!
There was something else that Blizzard were talking about at Blizzcon this weekend, which was the next instalment of Starcraft II. The beta for Heart Of The Swarm is apparently “months” away, so it looks like we can expect the next game before the end of next year. Anyway, the trailer (below) shows a bunch of CG and in-game scenes, basically telling the story of Kerrigan’s lust for revenge, as well as teasing a bunch of the stuff that’s going to happen (and the units that are going to appear) in the new campaign.

, , , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. HexagonalBolts says:

I’ve been a bit confused by this – will there be changes to multiplayer, or is it purely a wholly singleplayer experience with no new units crossing over to multiplayer at all?

I’ll also take this oppurtunity to remind people of the Starcraft 2 player’s thread on the forums:

Everyone’s mostly forgotten about the in game channel but plenty of us do still regularly play team games online :)

• Falcon says:

There are 3 new units planned for Terran and Protoss (as well as the carrier and mothership being removed) as well as 2 new units for Zerg and several other changes (e.g. the Thor is having its role changed up) that are all planned for multiplayer. Of course those could always change as they enter beta or end up making different decisions.

• TensaiBoy says:

This is a thread with all videos of the new units and their abilities
      they’re still pretty conceptual though, expect at least the numbers to change a lot in beta

• HexagonalBolts says:

Pretty happy about carrier and mothership being removed, always results in big blob-of-death gameplay rather than anything interesting

• Jamison Dance says:

@HexagonalBolts: The Protoss death ball very rarely involves carriers or motherships. I think that was part of the reason they are being removed – they are very rarely used in high level play. The Protoss death ball is gateway units and collosi, not carriers and a mothership.

I am sad the mothership is going, because it is so awesome when it shows up. It makes sense to remove a rarely-used unit to free up space for one that can be used more often though, since that will give Protoss players more choice.

• Sic says:

Removing the mothership was a mistake, in my opinion.

There weren’t any real problems with it except for cost. Like Day[9] said, they should have simply removed the cost but kept the production time. That would be a great way for Protoss to be more viable late game.

It might have needed some more speed as well, but I mean, removing it just seems like a strange decision.

• TensaiBoy says:

I wouldn’t exactly call it a mistake or strange, if you watch the video David Kim even explains why they did it.
      The Mothership cloak is not only pretty pointless because at that point detection is readily available, it also means it’s getting focused down immediately in a fight and hardly does anything.
      Anything but casting spells, where the role of Vortex can easily be fulfilled by spellcasters and the new Tempest and Mass Recall is made redundant because that’s on the nexus now!

I always was a fan of the mommaship and was fistpumping and hollering everytime it was built, but it kinda makes sense to take it out. IF the stuff we get can take care of say Broodlord balls (for reference Kiwikaki-Stephano at IPL3, basically impossible without Vortex)

• Sic says:

Blizzards arguments are ridiculous, as always.

Who cares what David Kim says, the guy refuses to remove close positions because he thinks close position early game all-ins are balanced. Forget what David Kim says.

The Mothership started to see quite some use after they changed the acceleration, and if you look at games like Kiwikaki v Stephano in IPL3, you see that The Mothership is a very viable unit. It is possible to micro, and as long as you have AA, it’s very possible to keep alive for extended periods of time.

The problem, as I’ve already said, is that it’s too much of an investment. Yes, it can be brittle, which is why the cost should be removed. The Mothership itself is completely fine, it just needs to be viable as an investement. With the cost gone, it would simply be an investment of time, and it would see a lot more use.

As for the rest of the arguments, Mass Recall is on the Nexus because The Mothership is gone, not the other way around. The role of the Vortex has got nothing to do with any of the casters, nor the new flying AA-unit. Vortex was primarily used with Archons to make Archon toilets, or temporarily removing units from play. No other spell overlaps with that at all.

So, yes, it very much is strange, and yes, it very much is a mistake.

• HexagonalBolts says:

@Jamison Dance,

Not talking about any high level 1v1 play, just in team games their normal use seems to be this big unbeatable blob of carriers.

2. GregS says:

You know, as terrible as I am at multiplayer, this trailer reminds me how good of a job Blizzard did with the single player campaign. Something that’s been lost in the midst of all this “pro gaming” and watching matches online (which I do plenty of).

Very excited for this now!

• eselinks says:

I like most of the games made by blizzard.

• Erd says:

I found Wings of Liberty’s campaign a bit underwhelming. It felt like a bunch of faffing about until new man #4 turned up and fixed the deus ex machina for you.

On an individual level most missions were fun though.

Gap Gen says:

The story was awful dross, taking the one strong female character in Starcraft and turning her into a damsel in distress. Games like Mass Effect 2 and Human Revolution have genuinely great writing, but for all the millions that Blizzard were willing to spunk on Starcraft II, writing wasn’t something they were willing to toss a few peanuts towards. Or maybe they did what Advent Rising did, which was to hire a famous writer but have the designer make all the plot decisions themselves, the result being a horrible mess.

• GregS says:

Nah i disagree. Was it the greatest piece of fiction in gaming? Of course not! But the plot drove the vehicle forward so some halfway new things could be tried out. Plus i thought the characters were fun if a bit cliche

c-Row says:

I got the feeling that the singleplayer campaign was merely a full game length tutorial for the multiplayer, with one new unit or game mechanic introduced every time that totally won the map. Stopped playing during the last third, but damn does that trailer make me want to replay SCII again.

Also, here’s hope for another oversized and expensive collector’s edition including a soundtrack CD and a 200+ page artbook!

Gap Gen says:

Wait, yes, the campaign missions themselves were pretty good. And for all I complained about the story, I clearly played to the end.

3. WotevahMang says:

Wait that’s Kerrigan? She’s human again?

4. Felixader says:

And now someone compare the last third of this trailer with the Diablo trailer.

EDIT: The CG Parts of course.
    EDIT:EDIT: Okay what i mean is that the swarming of the swarm is really looking very similar to that of the Diablo trailer or that of the Undead Hordes in Warcraft. So. Well that was a point made in an awfull manner. X-p

5. Hyperion says:

heh, Nova. I think she was the one from that canceled Starcraft game for the Gamecube.

• Nevard says:

I think she was
      I’m pretty sure she was also in the SCII Terran Campaign though, although it’s been a while since I last played it
      Might give it another run through now the sequel is coming

• Koozer says:

I wanted that game so much…

• Fiery Stix says:

Yes. She was. Though Ghost wasn’t planned just for Gamecube.

• abremms says:

Ghost was was a FPS planned for gamecube, xbox, ps2, and PC. Nova’s a great character and I’m really glad they were able to get her into SC2, and it looks like they are giving her an even bigger part in HotS.

• FalseMyrmidon says:

Ghost was never going to be on PC which was a big part of the controversy surrounding it. Wiki says Xbox, PS2 and GC.

6. sinister agent says:

I may never understand why they insist on trying to get me to care about the boring humans and their boring stories. The Protoss characters were much more fun, and their imperious attitudes and speech patterns fit the over the top drama bits much better.

• Post-Internet Syndrome says:

The story of sc went down the drain with WoL yeah. They took a perfectly fine space opera and tried to make of it some kind of hollywood drama with “characterization” and such. Also completely ridonkulous bad guys with no motivation. Turned into soup it did.

• Azradesh says:

I don’t think WoL was very different in story terms to the Terran campaign is SC1. I’m going to miss the Overmind for the zerg campaign and can’t wait for the Protross campaign.

• Defenestrated says:

I always preferred to play zerg, even if I’m terrible with them, but I kinda like how they handle puny humans in starcraft. Just a bunch of redneck space truckers and ex-cons with really big guns.

• Khemm says:

@Azradesh
      You can’t be serious. Compare the charismatic Mengsk from SC1 to SC2’s Mengsk. Two different characters, the latter one barely leaves an impression.
      Another thing – the idea behind Tychus in SC2 was neat, but in the game, nothing about this character makes sense.
      It’s things like these that make a difference.

• Azradesh says:

Mengsk is in WoL for about 2 minutes, there really isn’t anything to compair.

• Post-Internet Syndrome says:

Azradesh: I’m not saying that the sc1 story is more intelligent, but it embraces it’s own sillines and just rolls with it. WoL zooms in on one character – Raynor – and tries to paint this highfalutin portrait of a man living on the edge blah blah instead of keeping the large scale.

That whole relic plot with the protoss cultists was completely arbitrary and uncalled for, and never gets explained. The new primary enemy is some inscrutable godlike entity with no discernable motivation other than “KILL EVERYTHING LOL”.

The characters in sc1 were simple but purposeful. The overmind had a very clear motivation for everything it was doing, but in WoL they retcon it into some kind of antihero that was secretly working against this new secret enemy. Kerrigan is now our new hope instead of a scheming, charismatic villain playing everyone in sight. And the Tychus thing was just stupid. The twist was seen coming from miles away. Of course the same could be said of Kerrigan’s many betrayals in brood war, but she always more or less forced people to take her offers. There was some finesse to it.

Of course I’m aware that we are only a third of the way through, and that things could certainly get better. And regardless of the story I have high hopes for the technical side of the hots campaign,.

• sinister agent says:

I agree with the above post. And this in particular:

Also, Kerrigan was more interesting as a villain, and Raynor wasn’t a strong enough character to carry a story. He was good, but ultimately just a bit part in the far more fun Protoss melodrama. Although admittedly, the heart of the series kind of died for me along with Fenix.

Gap Gen says:

I dunno, the mission intros in the original Starcraft did get a little tedious with the Protoss overblown language and reams of scrolly text. In action, though, all those meaningless little EN TARO ADUN things are kinda cute, and a decent foil to the ‘Deep South in Space’ Terrans.

• sinister agent says:

That’s why Raynor teaming up with them was so effective, plot wise. He provided a brilliant contrast. There’s one exchange that sums them up perfectly:

Raynor: (casual) Figured I might as well tag along.

Fenix: (Fenix) SO YOU SHALL, BOLD HUMAN. SO YOU SHALL.

7. bleeters says:

So, I see the current Blizzard trend of ‘good female characters that sit around pining for their man, evil female characters driven by a need to take revenge upon a man, no other motivation required’ is set to continue.

• Sassenach says:

Manly man who’s just doing what a mans got to do = Wings of Liberty story.

• PleasingFungus says:

Is there some kind of convenient list of stereotypical Blizzard characters? It sounds entertaining, but all I can think of off the top of my head is Jaina, and she had her own stuff going on.

• Sassenach says:

Not a list, but there was this piece from RPS back in the mists of time (over a year ago!) about Blizzard’s inability to write compelling characters:

• bleeters says:

The thing with Jaina Proudmoore, she essentially spent the entirely of WotLK pining to get Arthas back, and hasn’t really been seen since. Tyrande Whisperwind’s going that way with Malfurion as well – her involvement in the Stormrage novel in particular is gut-wrenchingly pathetic, being portrayed as indecisive, clueless and weak. I’ve no idea where the woman who declared “only the Goddess may deny me anything, Malfurion” went, because she’s certainly not around anymore.

As far as Kerrigan is concerned… eh. It’s obviously not fair to judge where they’re going with her based entirely on a short trailer, but I’d be lying if I didn’t watch it and wonder what Sylvannas was doing in Starcraft. There’s more than a couple of similarities on display. Not that I’m accusing them of being misogynistic or the like, but ‘convincing’ is not a word I’d use to describe any of them.

• JonathanStrange says:

I’m not defending Blizzards writing, especially not as far as Warcraft goes. I’m extremely disappointed in that regard. But out of curiosity how does Nova fit into this stereotype? As far as I can tell she’s just doing her job and happens to be exceptionally good at it. No pinning or swearing revenge that I know of.

• bleeters says:

A good point, actually. But then, I only know Nova as ‘that character that showed up and tried to get me to kill Tosh’. If there’s more to her as a person than that, I’ve no idea.

Mind you, Warcraft’s method of character development as of late has been to hire on outside writers to churn out a novel or two, then just go with whatever they come up with. Bound to be a few differences between that and Starcraft.

Gap Gen says:

It’s weird, but it seems like the more money is spent on a non-indie game, the worse the writing is. I mean, Call of Duty has disappeared up its own arse, Starcraft II took a reasonably good female antagonist, threw her away and replaced her with misogynistic* garbage**. It’s a shame given the budgets of some of these games that the times when I’m genuinely impressed (as with the conversations in Human Revolution) are so few and far between.

* Yes, it is.
      ** It really is. Well, it’s vaguely competent, in the way that an indie developer with no money could have written something better.

8. Aufero says:

I wish them luck with their bid to further monetize the development process, (and I hope the writing isn’t crap this time) but I’m done.

• elfbarf says:

I agree, SC2 was horrible value, I’ve only played a few hundred hours of it. That and all the DLC they’ve released in the past 14 months, I’m going broke from buying it all!

Seriously though, since when are Expansion packs suddenly a bad thing? They’re adding an entire second campaign as well as quite a few multiplayer changes, it’s far more content than anyone has ever given in a free update. The original Starcraft had an expansion pack and everyone loved it, why are you mad at Blizzard for doing what they’ve always done? Would you rather they release mission/map/unit packs every other month for $15?

• TotalBiscuit says:

It’s called an expansion. PC gamers should be familiar with the concept, since they’ve been coming out for the last 20 years at least.

• alundra says:

No sir, it’s called the second part of a single game split in three so they can milk more money out of gamers.

• elfbarf says:

Sounds like an Expansion pack to me, alundra.

• Miker says:

@alundra

Have you actually seen how much content there was in Wings of Liberty? Or do you know how much content there will be in Heart of the Swarm?

If Wings of Liberty is anything to judge by, all three StarCraft 2 games will have more than enough content to justify their existence. Besides, take a look at Dawn of War 2 — vanilla and Chaos Rising only had Space Marine campaigns. Wings of Liberty only has the Terran campaign. When Retribution comes out and the other races have campaigns, they’re all the exact same campaign anyway. Each StarCraft 2 campaign will be /completely/ different from the others. I really don’t see how this is splitting a single game into three moreso than what other RTS developers have been doing for yonks.

• JonathanStrange says:

Man, remember Brood Wars? What a ripoff. And geez, anyone remember when they split up Warcraft 3 to milk it with Frozen Throne? Disgusting.

Blizzard arn’t the only ones doing it either. Mask of the Betrayer, Throne of Bhall, Stetchkov Syndicate, Barbarian Invasion. Oh God, even Valve are doing it, Half-Life had Blue Shift AND Opposing Force, now there’s these ‘Episode’ things. How could you Valve?

SCUMBAGS!

• bleeters says:

Oh, I had hoped we were done with all this ‘it’s only one campaign, thus is only a third of a game’ nonsense. Apparently not.

Sure, it was one campaign. It’s also three times the length of each individual Starcraft campaign – of which there were three – making it roughly the same. See how that works? Brilliant.

• alundra says:

No, StarCraft: Brood War was an expansion to a game featuring a full story, this instead, is the second chapter to a trilogy, aka, splitting the original product in three.

And yes, I played all the way through the first, what a boring story, nothing like the epicness found in the first one, I’m not falling for it again, they are not getting another penny out of me.

• Aufero says:

I’m not really interested in the argument over whether this is an expansion or the second third of a three-part game. From a single-player strategy perspective, the first campaign offered enough content (and decent content, at that) for a full game, as long as you studiously ignored the story line and voice acting.

Thing is, this isn’t really a single player game. Sure, there are a few hours of enjoyment to be gotten out of that, but the real meat is in the multiplayer experience, and I just don’t have the time (or talent) for that. So I’m done. The mission scenarios in the first third were decent, but the story and VO were too annoying for me to pay $60 (x2) to put up with them again.

• Chalky says:

SC2’s standard campaign was fantastic and plenty long enough.

You must be seriously entitled to think that it’s reasonable to demand three times the content that wings of liberty offered.

And “monetise the development process”? Wtf are you on about? You mean like… paying all the developers who spent the last few years working on this expansion for their work? What is the world coming to, paying people for work!!

Astonishing entitlement. Complaining that SC1 had more content than SC2 – because obviously the production values were precisely the same in those two games!!

• Miker says:

Heart of the Swarm is still an expansion that requires Wings of Liberty to play, and Blizzard have said that they’ll price it as such. Nobody said Heart of the Swarm was going to be $60. It’ll most likely be $40 — $10 more expensive than, say, Chaos Rising and Retribution, but it’ll likely have the content to back that price up.

• Fiery Stix says:

Yeah, okay buddy. Nevermind that Blizzard has already been using the expansion model for its RTS games for years. And in a few more years, I will even be able to say “decades.”

• Vinraith says:

SC2 was not my cup of tea, but it certainly wasn’t short on content. The griping about the three part release is just getting silly.

• alice says:

Mass Effect was always meant to be a trilogy, how could they split it up into three $60 games and expect us to keep shelling out cash like that?!?!

9. ChiefOfBeef says:

Does anyone else remember that an early version of the HoTS ending was leaked? Wonder if Blizz changed it since then because we know what happens.

10. Khemm says:

I was SUPER excited for Wings of Liberty, but after playing through the campaign, Blizzard can kiss me when the sun doesn’t shine unless HotS is a phenomenal improvement.
    I still can’t get over the pure, vomit-inducing crap that they made us wait over 10 years for.

The original had amazing voice acting, writing that was super good for an RTS game, some drama, plot twists and memorable characters.

The sequel had for the most part awful voice-acting – in fact, the entire Protoss cast needs to be fired, especially Zeratul. The whole mysticism and angelic nature of the Protoss was gone. Writing was A-B-Y-S-M-A-L, we got a boring story in which nothing actually happened apart from pathetic and unnecessary retcon bull-nonsense, but hey, there was a DUMB TIRED PROPHECY cliche… This is Starcraft, where mortals and their decisions shape the fate of the universe, take those overused phrophecies away and place them in Diablo or Warcraft, where they belong.
    Oh, and to add insult to injury the new characters were forgettable/boring, the old cast didn’t resemble their SC1 selves at all, and Metzen had the GUTS to toss in a Jar-Jar-Binks equivalent, THIS MOTHERCRACKER:

SC1 gave the world Jim Raynor, Zeratul, Kerrigan, Mengsk, Fenix, Overmind and other awesome characters people remember to this day. What new characters did SC2 bring to the table? A dwarf mechanic and Egon mothercracking Stetmann.

Starcraft 1 = Alien 1.
    Starcraft 2 = shitty Michael Bay movie.

• coldvvvave says:

Wait, Starcraft 1 story was good?

• JonathanStrange says:

I think you might want to take off the nostalgia goggles for a bit and take a good hard look at the original Starcraft. The series has always been a corny space soap, the most interesting part of SC1’s story was the stuff in the manual. Beyond that it’s never exactly been the pinnacle of gaming story telling or even anywhere remotely close.

It was a fun story, yes, and I’m also a bit wary of some of the cliche being brought to the light in Wings of Liberty, but calling SC2 an abomination and then praising the original as some sort of ancient flawless relic just seems… well, silly!

Starcraft has always been corny and derivative. In my mind it’s the paperback fantasy of the gaming world: Entertaining if not particularly deep. Something which I’m fine with.

• Azradesh says:

Yeah, Blizzard’s writting has *always* been saturday morning cartoon level. I don’t expect any better and never have and so I enjoy it. It might have felt better when we were younger, but if you go back and play them you’ll see the same thing

• Khemm says:

None said the story was perfect, read my post again. I said “for an RTS” and “some drama”.
      Compared to SC2 it IS a masterpiece, none will convince me otherwise. SC2 was at times as corny as Command and Conquer, but C and C was intentionally B-quality, while SC2 tried to be “epic” and “serious” and failed completely.

As for nostalgia goggles – if I played SC1 and Brood War for the first time in 2007, does the “nostalgia” factor apply? I don’t think so.

Implying SC2 is anywhere near the quality of writing that SC1 had is, well, silly. BEYOND silly.

• Azradesh says:

Compair Terran to Terran, I think you’ll see that it’s much closer. I always hated the terran story lines and writting.

• Khemm says:

By the way, not a single cgi in SC2 is as good as this:

Or this:

The ones that were in WoL were crap – Michael Bayish, all style, slow-mo effects, no substance or atmosphere.
      We’ll see if Blizzard can do better. They spent so much time on WoW they seem to have lost their touch.

• Bhazor says:

I have to agree with Khemm.

SC1 was a B-movie yes.
      But SC2 is that most tragic of things. A B-movie that thinks its being deep.

Now the thought of playing a whole campaign as the fricking protoss (as they were in SC2) is seriously making me want to quit the series now. I swear one more use of the words “destiny”, “Prophecy” or “foretold” and I am done.

• tetracycloide says:

Few things, if you honestly think the voice acting changed in quality from the first to the second then nothing in HotS is going to overcome that level of nostalgia. They’re practically equal in that regard.

The mysticism and angelic nature of the Protoss is gone because their homeworld is gone. They’re no longer a detached, enigmatic race because their plant was destroyed. They’re nomads now and they seem less angelic and mystic because they’ve been beaten once already. They’re mortal now in a way they never have been before. They can’t afford to act the way they did before.

The writing in SC2 was pretty bad, B-movie level plots, no argument there although it’s worth noting we’ve only seen the first act of a three act play so it’s hardly fair to judge it as if you’ve seen the whole thing. Then again, SC1’s terran campaign was B-movie level stuff too. Might have been good writing for an RTS when it came out but we live in a different world now. It’s not good writing by today’s standards so pretending you can judge them next to one another but comparing how they are relative to the other games of their time is hardly fair either. Blizzard hasn’t ‘fallen’ other developers have risen and surpassed them (at least in terms of writing.)

If you think the scientist guy is like Jar Jar then you either didn’t play WoL or didn’t watch Phantom Menace. He’s nothing like Jar Jar. Jar Jar was a slap stick comic relief character described as a “Rastafarian Stepin Fetchit on platform hoofs, crossed annoyingly with Butterfly McQueen” that was constantly integrated into pivotal moment in the movie and diminished them by talking. Scientist guy was not a slap stick comic relief at all, there isn’t a single word in that sentence that describes him accurately, and was never in any pivotal plot scenes. He’s barely in the game at all. You’ve got your parties muddled up, he’s not Jar Jar he’s this guy: http://missionhill.tripod.com/mh-kevin.jpg
      He’s that guy right down to the voice. Caricature of what is already a stereotype yes, Jar Jar my ass.

• Khemm says:

@tetra
      Oh, so why did Protoss’ voices CHANGE all of a sudden? What, now that they had their home world overrun by Zerg, they’ve suddenly become HUMAN? In SC1, Protoss did sound like ALIENS and had a certain style of speaking. In SC2, they sound like humans, sound “forced” and fake. You know what that is? Poor sound direction, that’s what.

What sounds better? This

or this

I feel I should add dialogues and voice of Zeratul from SC1 here as well, but that would be just cruel to the patheticly voiced and written Zeratul from SC2.

As for Egon not being Jar Jar, I get the similarities to that “other” guy, but in SC2, he still feels like Jar Jar – dumb character tossed in for the sake of goofiness. Regardless of who you think Egon was inspired by, he’s STILL a terrible character, he’s STILL dumb, he’s still at least partly a comic relief, he STILL feels like he doesn’t belong in that game.

Gap Gen says:

Starcraft 1 at least had a rough idea of what it was taking from Warhammer 40k, in terms of everyone being doomed and looking out for themselves. It had no easy answers, and any hope of salvation was smooshed as the story went on. Sure, its writing was a little stilted, and mission briefings could drag on, but it was functional and compelling.

And I had completely forgotten about tired, lazy nerd stereotype. You have to wonder exactly who your target audience is, if you’re making that for a PC videogame.

11. asshibbitty says:

Mmman her face isn’t very well done at all. Looks like something from an Eastern European point and click. I thought Blizzard were good at this.

• Azradesh says:

That’s in game. There’s only 3 pre-rendered scenes in this trailer, all very short. (One at the very start, and two short clips from a terran vs zerg battle)

12. Bhazor says:

Personally I’ve never forgiven Tolkien for milking LOTR. Three books for one story? Pah! I’m glad hes dead.

13. Freudian Slip says:

I should probably think about starting the single player sometime soon. *He says as he clicks Find Match for his 500th (no exaggeration) game*

14. Stevostin says:

This trailer really is disappointing to me. Not as much as the latest WoW trailer, but seriously, Blizzard’s stuff starts to look cheap&cheesy. Compare this to the DOTA 2 trailer and well… This company is really working hard to make me stop my habit of buying everything they sell. And I did like SC2, a lot. But I want the huge talent of money in my face, not the hugely uninspired, stupidly self celebrating, badly put out in game cinematics. Nearly everygame looks hugely better than WoW, and nearly every in game cinematics looks hugely better than this crappy trailer – and all of these better looking games and trailers are made with a tiny fraction of the money expected from Blizzard to put out. Seriously, Blizzard, WTF are you doing ?

15. Squishpoke says:

So, to get the new units, I gotta buy this full-priced expansion. Come on, Blizzard, community-fracturing expansions are so 2003. Oh well, I still want to keep my crappy carriers. I won’t get this, I won’t I won’t I won’t!

Also, there will still be the new protoss expansion that will release after this one, negating the importance of HoTS to most except serious Sc2 players.

I would have preferred that the expansions would be single player only for a fraction of the cost, while keeping the multiplayer an eternal format where all players across any game would have access to the same changes for free. One can dream…

• Azradesh says:

Every RTS expansion I can think of works this way.

And it’s priced as an expansion for the 10000000000000000th time.

• Sassenach says:

Not Dawn of War 2 Chaos rising.

• DK says:

Relic pretty much showed that the community splitting expansion is obsolete with CoH and all further products (barring Retribution because of the GFWL removal).

Basically, everything you release is standalone, priced according to content: A new race? Expansion Price. 4 new races? Full Price. (compared to Blizzards 4-5 new units – Expansion price).

Everyone can play with everyone else, but only use the races/units of the products they have bought.

It’s braindead simple, but obviously way harder to milk people with – so it’s been ignored by all the other devs and publishers.

16. mmorpg games says:

compared to ST I, the story was a frackin soap opera, horrible in every way. But on single, the mission were quite nice, very good level design. Multi i have no interest since i played ST 1 for years, and ST II is just an upgrade.

17. adamiani says:

No carriers?

I didn’t think there was a way Blizzard could actually get me to contemplate *not* giving them my money.

18. Gassalasca says:

Agreeing with Kemm here as well.

19. JackDandy says:

Man, this looks… really cheesy.

Gap Gen says:

Despite my gripes about the writing, my real problem with Starcraft II is that it thinks that “strategy” is “learning paths through a tech tree and microing”. Which I’m sure is fine for a lot of people, and hell, I’d say people with too much time but I’m writing this at 3:30am so criticising that might seem a little harsh.

21. suibhne says:

“I am the Swarm. Vengeance shall be mine”? Seriously?

I know, Starcraft 2’s writing shouldn’t exactly win awards, but still.

22. Jnx says:

I love starcraft and all that but somehow this part of the story struggles to keep me interested. That Kerrigan girl sure is angsty about the trick Mengsk pulled off, but why not just have some happy time with Raynor and let Mengsk sulk in a corner. Anyway the SC2 was the best campaign a singleplayer RTS has had, but it wasn’t much of a story. And in the end I got the impression that we won Mengsk, but apparently not so.

23. Jnx says:

Why does RPS eat my comments? Well I wrote something about blaa and meh.

24. Very Real Talker says:

the trailer looked spectacular, and I’m not into starcraft. Of course while the battle-y stuff was amazing, the plot-y stuff sounds childish and uninteresting.

Also that Kerrigan has ZERO menace to her appearance and voice, not a good fit for the sort of character the trailer was trying to sell.