Borderlands 2 Promises 96.5% More WUB WUB, Sept 18th

By John Walker on February 22nd, 2012 at 1:21 pm.

This is how to sell games to RPS.

Start getting excited, because Rock, Paper, Shotgun will soon be releasing its trailer to celebrate the announcement of a release date for the reveal date for its next trailer! But in the meantime, why not enjoy the trailer released to announce the launch date for Borderlands 2? Which is the 18th September in the US, then after a long swim the 21st Sept in the UK/EU. Which is aaaaaages away.

“Get ready to joy-puke your face off” we’re instructed, in a game promising more than 87 bazzilion guns. In fact, it’s 870 gajillion more. And it looks saa-moooth. Glance:

I am desperately hoping the dubstep is a direct reference to Far Cry 3′s trailer. Can they have done that in time? Because this is a game promising 96.5% more WUB WUB.

You can pre-order it already, if you like paying for things that aren’t out for at least seven months and cost the same as they would on release.

__________________

« | »

, , , , .

1. Crimsoneer says:

The pre-order “Golden Key” kind of implies that if you don’t pre-order, there will be a chest somewhere in the game that you just…can’t open. That just stares at you, snarkily moaning about how you should have pre-ordered.
    That is going to piss me off.

2. InternetBatman says:

I hope it has a better ending this time. It was also odd that you fight the main gang boss first and then his lieutenants later, at higher levels.

• Snidesworth says:

I hope it’s less of a grind myself. The first game got very long in the tooth. It does look like there’s some additional enemy variety from the trailer though, so fingers crossed.

• Uglycat says:

What it needs is some sort of overmap. I’m somewhere around Lev30 (40?) but can’t bring myself to go back and play because the play area is so large, I’m always getting lost. The instant transport system doesn’t help either because of the aforementioned lack of overmap.

/hopes somebody will tell him the answer below

• Aquarion says:

Well, there’s the overmap, which is probably in PDF form somewhere in your steam folder (Unless you didn’t buy it on steam, in which case why not? It’s people like you who are the reason Gabe can’t afford razors anymore) or there are the overmaps here: http://borderlands.wikia.com/wiki/Maps_of_the_Borderlands

• Uglycat says:

Aha! One intertubes to that man!

• mouton says:

Also could use better gameplay, better difficulty scaling/settings, better quest synchronization for coop, better skills, better AI, better writing, better storytelling, actual PC optimization and probably a bunch of other things I forgot.

• Baines says:

The biggest thing you left out was that it needs better weapon design.

Borderlands with a gazillion different weapons, which came mostly from minor number shifts. Oh, this one is 55 damage. But this one is 56 damage!

And even that was weak. Weapons, like everything else in the game, were ruled by level scaling. Manufacturer differences were fixed values, so you didn’t get wide variety there. Elements were pretty much variations on the same theme. The base weapons themselves were fairly generic FPS fair. The more non-standard properties (like bouncing shots and the like) were almost entirely available on pre-designed unique weapons, not things that could show up on random finds.

The end result was a gazillion different weapons that overall had less real behavioral variety than you’d find in a Call of Duty game, much less what you’d find in a more sci-fi game (or even find in an older school FPS.)

• Raniz says:

@Baines
      Or weapons that actually makes sense.

“How nice, I found a sniper rifle – oh, but it only has 1.5x zoom”
      “OH! But here’s another one with 6x zoom – hmm, no, that was a shotgun”

3. Pobblepop says:

This is the perfect excuse for me to post a Beardyman link :-

4. Dominic White says:

I’ll be interested if there’s some kind of level-scaling for the content (so you don’t outlevel everything and start one-shotting bosses by accident), and sidekicking for multiplayer, so you can actually play the game with your higher-level friends without you instantly getting gibbed by fodder enemies.

Those two absolutely ruined the original Borderlands for me. Singleplayer became too easy if you did any of the (many) side-quests, and multiplayer just didn’t work unless you were rolling with a group of friends that agreed only to level together.

• Colthor says:

Agreed, and the out-levelling was made worse by the damage scaling, as you were invincible (literally) to anything 5 levels lower than you.

*And* all the different levels of baddie looked the same.

Still, I’m glad this looks a bit more bright and colourful than the original, which could tend towards drabness.

• Schiraman says:

I agree completely, the overall shonky levelling was the number one problem with Borderlands.

I ended up with at least half a dozen different characters, just to try and match up with various different sub-sets of friends so we could play together – and as a result I played the opening sections so many times that I’m now utterly sick of them.

And over levelling due to side-quests made various sections of the game into a boring, challenge-free grind – especially the otherwise excellent zombie DLC.

• CMaster says:

Yeah, the problem seemed to be that levels were far too important. When the initial level cap was 50, it seemed mad that being two levels away from something made it either impossible or a complete walkover.

• Dominic White says:

It really feels like they didn’t playtest it at all. Yes, they had FPS elements, and they had RPG elements, but those two things completely broke each other if you allowed stats to even come slightly out of sync with progression. And they did. All the time.

• Vagrant says:

I just want interesting post-game content. Once you’re 69 and have a swath of absurdly powerful weapons, all that’s left in the end is Moxie (fun with 3+ players), Crawmerax (PITA unless Siren), and pointlessly assaulting Fort Knoxx.

• Baines says:

I think it was something like every level of difference was a 20% modifier to damage, so being 5 levels over something was 200% damage and 5 levels under was 0% damage, or something like that.

They got too caught up in pushing the “RPG” part of the game. It really hurt replayability and challenge. It also made a mess when the DLC was released, as playing the DLC guaranteed you would be over-leveled for everything else.

Personally, I mostly wanted a co-op story FPS with lots of weapons and the like. It didn’t really need levels and such restrictive level-based damage scaling. (Though it was probably put in to pad the length, keeping skilled people from rushing too fast through it, as well as to make sure everyone would eventually be able to beat the game just by leveling enough to overcome what was in their paths.)

• Enso says:

Agree with Vagrant so much. Once I reached the cap I found there wasn’t actually much game there and most of my enjoyment was from the pursuit of new skills.

5. Matt-R says:

Should be pretty good, shame about the music the 16bit remix on the Far Cry 3 trailer is so much better even if it makes Big Rigs design choices make sense in comparison.

Not sure if I want this joy-puke though, toast doesn’t taste as good the second time around.

6. Echo Black says:

Is dubstep becoming a thing for games now? Yuck.

7. h4mst4h says:

It says “Play in split screen” or something along those lines. I’m wondering if it will be an option for PC as well.
    And for the love of god please make it playable day 1 IIRC Borderlands was almost imposible to play coop when it launched

• Dominic White says:

I won’t be surprised if split-screen is missing from the PC version. Even Valve – arguably the patron saints of PC gaming – go out of their way to remove it from their PC games. I will never understand why – PC’s tend to be beefier and more capable of handling games split-screen. Plus, a multitude of USB ports and controllers!

• jezcentral says:

h4mst4h. They fixed the dreadful networking by releasing a Steamworks version, later on. Hopefully they’ll do the same thing this time round.

And a vanilla version for those who don’t like Steam. Just please not GameSpy, this time.

• SkittleDiddler says:

It’s 2K, a publisher not really known for putting additional effort into their PC releases, so I’m doubtful that split-screen will even be considered for the PC version.

• Tei says:

What?
      A lot of PC games have splitscreen. Dungeon Defenders have splitscreen. To name all.

• icarussc says:

Oh, please, please please PLEEEEEAAAAZZZEEE have split-screen on PC! I have exactly ONE gaming PC, but I would dearly love to play this with my wife!

• flamesbladeflcl says:

blur has splitscreen too

• bear912 says:

Serious Sam 3 also has four-player splitscreen (a rollicking good time, I might add), and while Valve’s recent games haven’t had an easy way to do splitscreen, they can still be tricked into it through some configuration tweaks and some console commands. Some of the recent Lego games have had it as well. I hope the feature remains in the PC version of borderlands, even if it requires config tweaks or console commands to get it working…

8. NetsukeMonkey says:

This music sounds very much like the Bloody Beetroots. As for Borderlands 2 I second the hope for a better ending

9. Jumwa says:

Lookin’ good! Like the look of Maya as well, though I really would’ve preferred a 50/50 gender split in character options. Most of the people I know and play Borderlands with are women, incidentally.

10. Dana says:

I hate wub wub, it should be outlawed. Looking forward to the game, though. Hope they will not repeat the same mistakes.

11. CaspianRoach says:

Eh, until I can get an answer abouf if it registers on Steam or not I’ll hold off the pre-purchasing, I like to play with my friends and all my friends are on Steam…

But the game looks fantastic as ever.

12. shrk says:

So are we just calling all electronic music dubstep now or what?

• Moni says:

Is unss unss wub wub limited to dubstep? I thought they were more generically electronic dance terms.

• Capt. Eduardo del Mango says:

As with all new genres exactly what defines ‘dubstep’ is open to interpretation, but I’m under the impression that “wub wub” is a necessary component.

• shaydeeadi says:

Dubstep isn’t really a ‘new’ genre and it’s only in the last 3 or so years that it has become characterised by the aforementioned wubbing.
      Bring on some top class Coki tunes for trailers, DJ Distance or someone like that.

• shrk says:

Well for the past decade it’s had a lot of fun being its own thing, and being quite easy to define. In the past 2 years it appears that everyone who hears any very different form of electronic music feels the need to call it dubstep and loudly give their opinions on the genre they clearly don’t quite get. Drum and bass isn’t dubstep. Jungle, house, dance, techno and chiptune are not dubstep.

-phew- Okay, I’ve let it out now, I’m calm.

• SkittleDiddler says:

“So are we just calling all electronic music dubstep now or what?”

No, but some of us are sticking the original descriptive of “pure shite” to make things simpler. At least that’s the one I’ve been using since the late ’80s.

• Slinky MCPunchfist says:

all shitty electronic music is now dubstep yes…

• shaydeeadi says:

Following getting home and listening to the music on this trailer, it only has half time beats and wubs (Dubstep) for 8 bars of the whole track, a middle 8! What the fuck people? This is some cheesy house shit, not Dubstep.

Obviously all shitty electronic music is now Dubstep.

13. shoptroll says:

At least someone is finally acknowledging the dub step thing is getting a little ridiculous…

Looks good, but it looks like the 4 new characters are fairly similar to the previous 4. Definitely interested in this, but looking forward to seeing some skill trees to see how they’re different than the last go around.

Still crossing my fingers and hoping for Steamworks support. Would love for them to ditch Gamespy and allow me to play with my GF on her PS3.

• Echo Black says:

I wonder if the ninja is also the marksman?

• Matt-R says:

Raiden looks new unless Mordecai picked up some melee stuff when I wasn’t watching.

I’m partially dismayed I remember his name.

• Optimaximal says:

You see Mordecai at the start of the trailer, catching Bloodwing. All the old Vault Hunters feature, but aren’t playable. They’ll be NPCs, along with Marcus, Moxxie, Scooter & all the other returning/recycled characters.

It seems that ‘Zero’ is going to combine some portions of the Siren role, as ‘Maya’ seems to be more range-focused. ‘Axton’ & ‘Salvador’ seem to be bastardisations of the Soldier, the Beserker and I guess a bit of Hunter.

14. Antsy says:

I loved Borderlands but they really need to give me a reason to get it on PC again. The amount of config tweaking the first one requires is disgraceful.

• Khemm says:

I didn’t buy Borderlands for this reason. I’ve heard enough horror stories about awful FOV, horrid mouse acceleration, terrible GUI not to bother.

• Optimaximal says:

Most of which was patched fairly quickly, but not until the bad word had spread. The current version on Steam is a whole new game behind the scenes.

Heck, the PC version currently has a Steam-only Opt-In backend that is recording gameplay stats to help build Borderlands 2!

• Antsy says:

I’m sorry, but if I install Borderlands right now I’m still going to have to fuck around with the config and bind FOV to a button and the UI is bloody terrible. All that was fixed fairly quickly was gamespy multiplayer stuff.

• LTK says:

Antsy is right, the UI was fucking awful. Didn’t stop me from enjoying the shooty bits though.

• Antsy says:

Yep I love the game itself. I just want to see Gearbox actually make an effort with the PC version this time. Otherwise I’m going to have a much easier time just grabbing it on ps3.

• Vagrant says:

I never understood why people don’t like the UI in this game. It works with the keyboard & scroll wheel, all the menus are well designed and simple, and the only bug was trying to cycle through the options menu with the mouse didn’t work right.

FOV was horrid, though. They never fixed that one.

15. The Least Fun Human Being On Earth says:

I came for the “dubstep” and was disappointed by the lack of any real drop :(

Someone should use Kromestar’s Kalawanji and teach these newcomers something about real dirty wub wub.

16. Unaco says:

What a silly trailer. I don’t think I want anything to do with anything that’s going to make me “joy puke my face off”, unless it’s mescaline. Also, I don’t think bazillion is a real number.

17. Moni says:

I like how much more refined their graphical style looks.

18. Inigo says:

WHAR GENERAL KNOXX
    WHAR

19. scorcher24 says:

IT’S NOT ON STEAM!

20. ReV_VAdAUL says:

I loved Borderlands 1 and that trailer made me want to play Borderlands 2. Level scaling would be nice though and theres no reason not to. In games where you can be stealthy or whatever there are issues, in this game you just shoot things so making the shooting consistently fun has to be the main goal.

• jezcentral says:

NO! Noooooooooo! *shakes fist at world* No level scaling!

Is that FemShep doing the VO?

• ReV_VAdAUL says:

I can’t play the DLC I bought properly, I got through the zombie and the General Knoxx ones ok (I really enjoyed them, just out-leveling issues were there) but the robot revolution one I’m waaay higher level than the enemies and it just isn’t fun. Unless I replay the whole game there is no enjoyable way for me to play that DLC.

• Jason Moyer says:

I thought the levelling in the main game was fine. The DLC should have scaled to your level better on the first playthrough, though.

• Vagrant says:

They fixed that in a later patch (before Robot Revolution came out, I think), but you have to play on Playthrough 2 (and possibly finish the game). In fact, you can encounter level 71 enemies, despite a 69 cap.

http://borderlands.wikia.com/wiki/Playthrough_2 (See notes on Playthrough 2.5)

21. McDan says:

Looks excellent, nice to see lots of returning characters that aren’t the main ones from the first gaem like Mad Moxxi. Even though I dislike the wub wub wub that trailer really has got me geared (wahey) up for it now, just have to wait I guess.

22. Surgeon says:

Dear Dubstep, please fuck right off.

All the best, Surgeon.

23. PearlChoco says:

Trailer is a bit of a letdown, considering Borderland 1′s official trailer was the most hilarious trailer in the history of video games.

24. Carr0t says:

That’s the same track as is on the mech thingies trailer isn’t it? Armored Core V? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yug3tgBRFFU

25. ralph_plauren says:

Is that a Death Star I see in the sky about mid way through ?

26. JonasKyratzes says:

My wife and I both loved Borderlands, so we’re very excited about the sequel.

27. Capt. Eduardo del Mango says:

Hear hear. Red Dwarf’s “Talkie Toaster” was funny to the audience because they only had to listen to him for a few minutes across half an hour – you weren’t experiencing the same irritation as Lister and Kryten were, but were enjoying their irritation. If Red Dwarf is Borderlands and Talkie Toaster is Claptrap, then we’re Lister and Kryten rather than the audience.

28. ArtyFishal says:

I hope they actually do something with the interesting setting and characters this time. I thought Borderlands really wasted its location.

29. Drayk says:

I love this game but the story was a bit too weak to keep me interested and it got repetitive.

It’s still a lot of fun to play with friends, i do it once in a while.

30. LuNatic says:

I hope they fix the FOV and the texture popping. The combination of these two gave me headaches while playing the last game.

• Inigo says:

texture popping

I’m afraid that could only be fixed by kidnapping Clifford Bleszinski, tying him to a chair and repeatedly kicking him in his small sensitive balls.
      It’s a feature of the Unreal engine itself. Not a whole lot you can do about it.

31. Jason Moyer says:

I just finished replaying the first one in order to go through the DLC for the first time, and it’s still one of the most entertaining games I’ve ever played. This is one of the very few games I’m genuinely looking forward to this year.

32. Messiah Complex says:

“But gosh, cor, crikey, if this can be nothing more than a refined version of Borderlands, I’m pretty excited to play it.”

I echo this sentiment. Something other than a completely vacuous plot, something approaching proper graphical options, something that diverges markedly from “Banditpalooza 2009,” and I am completely sold.

33. deadly.by.design says:

Despite the necessary .ini tweaking for the game to “feel” like a PC FPS, Borderlands was some of the best co-op I’ve ever had with friends online.

So, bring it on.

34. BobsLawnService says:

Wow, Borderlands and dubstep are both mindless, repetetive garbage. What a coincidence.

35. WatchGeek says:

I’m super excited for this sequel. I put in an insane amount of time into the first one completed all the DLC. I was also fortunate to have three good friends who wanted to play co-op…so, that increased the fun even further.

I’m still not sure whether I’ll play this on PC exclusively or, get it on the box that is X so that I can play co-op with my friends.

36. Vaughn says:

Suddenly, dubstep.

37. LazyGit says:

Is that the fanfare from the start of Spaceballs?

38. Tokamak says:

Wow, way to shit on the opening chords of John Adam’s Harmonielehre.

39. Vinraith says:

I was so very, very sick of Borderlands at the point that I finished the Knox DLC. That’s not to say I didn’t enjoy the hell out of it in co-op, just that it really wore me down when all was said and done.

I don’t feel exhausted thinking about playing it anymore, though, so maybe the timing of the sequel is about right.

40. Jahnz says:

OH MAN! I cannot wait to play this. I loved the first one despite a few flaws and this looks like more great fun. I am definitely going to play the turret guy. I played Roland mostly the first time around and I refuse to believe that this new turret guy is anywhere as annoying to listen to as Roland. Also, the turret looks way better. I hope they bring back Eridian weapons and then make them not suck so much. Also, also, I loved the CL4P-TP doing the little dance. I never found them to be all that annoying (when they weren’t saying “I’m over here!” every 5 seconds).

41. DiamondDog says:

Dear RPS readers,

I can understand if dubstep is not to your taste, but at least base your opinion on listening to something that actually is dubstep, i.e not this.

Signed
    Increasingly grumpy fan.

• Buttless Boy says:

Out of curiosity, what IS this if it’s not dubstep? I spent an afternoon a while back trying to learn the difference between various genres of electronic music, and dubstep is the closest I can get to whatever this is. It has the dipping thing going on, and it’s got the 2-step beat, and I thought that made something dubstep?

• Net_Bastard says:

I think it’s electronica. Although it has the same wub wub thing going on, it’s a bit more subdued, and doesn’t rely as heavily on bass as dubstep often does.

• DiamondDog says:

Well firstly I only meant this lightheartedly. I’m far from an expert. But to me it’s like calling Blink 182 punk. Fine you could argue it perhaps, but why would you settle for them when there is much better?

Anyway, I don’t think that’s a 2-step beat and that wubwub sound certainly isn’t mandatory. Sub-bass, or any kind of bass, is pretty mandatory. A lot of this stuff won’t trouble your sub-woofer, which is a bit of a problem. If you want something new that could still be classed as dubstep try the Goth-Trad album New Epoch. It actually has it’s fair share of wubwub but uses it with a bit more subtlety, rather than trying to melt your face off.

Bottom line is, I used to listen to the Prodigy in my youth because it’s loud and you know your parents will hate it. That’s all Skrillex is, kids having a good time going nuts. Anyone over 21 listening to Skrillex should feel faint embarrassment (but probably still enjoy themselves).

Edit: I now realise it’s hard to talk about these things without sounding like a complete nob.

42. Shooop says:

Enjoyed the first a lot, but not going for a day-one purchase unless they have their multiplayer working right at the start. You know there is something wrong with your game when there’s 10 servers beginning with “I opened my router ports!”

43. Davie says:

Hgblorff, dubstep. I much preferred the original’s bluesy take on soundtracks.

Also, I find it rather curious that in a game with such ridiculously imaginative character design, their replacement for Roland is Mr. Brownhair Stubblychin Generic Video Game Protagonist. I wonder if they’ll play off that at all.

44. hypercrisis says:

I’d rather have electro than the usual heavy metal shite aimed at “gamers”

45. firetail says:

I have to get in on this:
    Red dwarf is amazing.
    “I dont want any toast, no crumpets, no muffins no toasted teacakes”
    Also, Borderlands comment here.

46. Ruffian says:

looove these cell shaded graphics. better though is the Sword guy!! Here’s hoping the melee combat will be fun enough to warrant a play through with this dude, cause lord knows I can’t keep my hands off a katana if it’s in a game.

47. DOLBYdigital says:

Huh… interesting trailer that shows some promise but god that ‘music’ was just horrible. I’ve heard some ‘dub step’ (didn’t know it was called that) before and liked some of it. But the ‘song’ in this trailer was just bad, like really bad.

Here’s hoping that the fix a lot of the issues of the old game since the premise (online co-op shooter with a story) sounds so perfect but it’s obviously hard to nail it right.

48. Jackablade says:

It sounds like those damn buzzing insects that get into my room at night and fly around my head while I’m trying to sleep.

Bzzzzzeeeeeeee. Bzzzzzzzzzzooooooo. *swat* ….. Bzzzzzzeeeeeee

I’d like to see studios drop the “step” bit and start setting their trailers to common or garden variety dub tracks.

49. Batolemaeus says:

I just love it when Trailers aren’t available in Germany. It’s probably the ultimate “fuck you”, and I’m seriously considering mailing them (and CCP and TheLonelyIsland) about their stuff being blocked by the GEMA in Germany. I bet they’ll love it.

50. ylandrin says:

You know, for once, I had no issue with the WUB WUB. Because this trailer read like a f**ing AMV, and the guy (or lass) that choreographed this took it he (w)right way: make the video stick to the rhythm.

Now, don’t get me wrong, as a variation of what someone said earlier,
    if($music !=== ‘Moonspell’){
    $me == ‘Perfectly Happy’;
    }

But still.. that wub wub pretty much fit the insane, hillarious mindset of this no2.

And yes, I also would like Luggage as a pre-order bonus… who wouldn’t?
    In fact, can I have him also in Skyrim and ME3? Pretty pleaaaase?
    That, or a System-class GSV, in the latter…

Comment on this story