Why, That Must Be Another Far Cry 3 Trailer

By Jim Rossignol on March 21st, 2012 at 4:01 pm.

Far Cry 2 was, you will recall, the game with the most individual trailers ever released. There was one a week for seventeen years before its launch, and by the end of them we were exhausted. EXHAUSTED. The same looks to be true for the third game, which brings us another trailer: here, NOW. And probably the same time next week. We shall see. That said, you can’t argue they’re not putting the effort in on these trailers, there’s really a lot to be said for the footage in this one, including the hang-glider, sharks, and drugs, Drugs! DRUGS!

Watch it below, by the news-horn of VG247.

__________________

« | »

, .

1. Drinking with Skeletons says:

Never could get into this. I recall the voice acting for the guy you were supposed to assassinate being really weirdly done: very fast and very monotone.

• Lobster9 says:

This was true of most of the dialogue in the game. I remember when I first heard it, It sounded like they had sped up all the dead air between words to save on disc space, or something crazy like that.

• Drinking with Skeletons says:

Welcome to the Uncanny Valley of Voices!

• Mista Bojangles says:

Yeah I think it was a combination of that and a misguided shot at naturalism. I like the voice acting in these trailers so far, though. It’s that damn choke-hold knife-throw attack that has me annoyed.

• max pain says:

I hope there won’t be scripted situations all over the game where it’s obvious they want you to use the attack, or it will get old really fast.

• Lev Astov says:

I totally forgot about that from FC2, but yeah! They definitely made the voices seem unusually hurried by clipping out the silence between words and sentences. It was rather unnerving.

• Urthman says:

The low-key fast-spoken dialogue was one of my favorite parts of that game. It was WAY better than the hammy overacting you get in most video games.

The story in Far Cry 2 was interesting enough that I didn’t want to skip the dialogue, but not so good that I wanted to hear voice actors take their time emoting it. It was almost as efficient as turning off dialogue and reading subtitles.

• outoffeelinsobad says:

I also enjoyed the VO in FC2. I really don’t want to spend a lot of time listening to exposition when I’m supposed to be out doing something, and I got the impression that’s how the NPC’s in FC2 felt as well. We’re all here for a reason; let’s get on with it.

2. LTK says:

Those perfectly synchronized seagulls at 1:04 are rather immersion-breaking.

3. Jams O'Donnell says:

[Captain Mal Reynolds] Huh. [/Captain Mal Reynolds]

4. Magga says:

So it’s a game about taking drugs.

• Mista Bojangles says:

So was Far Cry 2. But now everyone’s taking mushrooms instead of a weird mix of malaria pills and cocaine (see Drinking with Skeletons comment).

5. Grinnbarr says:

Man I tripped like that once… minus all the neckstab of course.

This game looks pretty sick, I like this departure from the moral high ground. Luvverly hallucination effects too

6. Glen Moyes says:

I just really hope that the weapons jam in this game. That was my favorite part of FarCry 2. And I’m not kidding either. I loved how unreliable everything in FarCry 2 felt: the weapons (jamming in the middle of combat, forcing you to switch weapons), your allies, your health (malaria), etc. But again, I really liked the weapon jamming mechanic.

• bit.bat says:

I loved the weapon jamming as well! It also made you attached to your super-clean bought weapons which was good.

I thought the game was generally filled with so many hurdles to overcome, it created some really interesting situations.

• Jikid says:

Damn yes, guys. The hurdles were the main thing that made FC2 so brutal and enjoyable.

• Stevostin says:

Weapon jam and even healing system (no bloody instant heal). Malaria – fine by me too. What was really wrong in FC2 was cleaning a point, go to town, come back to it after a minute and find it reset. That and the lack of friendly NPC on the map, something to make you always wander (shoot or not ?).

Also the weapon collection system was pretty odd. OTOH the way loadout worked was really nice.

I also liked the fact that it was more an impression of a story that a real story. It was well suited for a video game, I thought.

Oh and I do hope they keep the fire spread, the weather, and the INCREDIBLE sound (not the music, the ambiance).

• Thants says:

I’m hoping they just fix the things that were wrong with Far Cry 2 rather than making a whole different game.

• Arglebargle says:

I’ll have to wait and see on Far Cry 3

The Dunia engine is pretty cool. The Far Cry 2 use of it failed in a number of respects. If they’d released a mod kit for it, it would probably still be huge.

My favorite part of Far Cry 2 was deleting it from my hard drive….

7. Wazy says:

The voice from Half Life 2. The VOICE!

8. Khemm says:

Obligatory: please add a FOV slider and don’t screw up the mouse controls.

9. Anguy says:

Why does every damn trailer these days have some kind of the inception BRAAAAHM in it?

• Jikid says:

Because it would kinda work if its contemporary cultural context wouldn’t be so jarring and hence absolutely murdering the atmosphere.

• gwathdring says:

It’s been happening since before Inception. Bass notes are dramatic. Hans Zimmer, being Hans Zimmer, just threw in an ungodly amount of synthesized bass and the way the trailer was cut punctuated it even further. Just because consumers have only just now may the Big Dramatic Foghorn sound a pop-culture bullet point doesn’t mean trailer and/or soundtrack creators just started using it.

Edit: Oops. Beaten to the punch. Hadn’t refreshed the page in a while. Sorry.

• Ringwraith says:

Because Reapers have already invaded.

We just don’t know it yet.

• Xardas Kane says:

Funny thing is, the Inception BAAAAAM, as you say, has been around for decades. It’s only because Inception brought it to a whole new level and several bigger movie and game trailers copied it that we are so sensitive to it

Just two examples. Do you hear? It’s there. It’s been around since the 90s.

• Anguy says:

Yeah, I guess you’re right, it has just gotten more obivous in recent trailers and maybe a bit more dramatic or whatever you want to call it :)

10. Lev Astov says:

Those sharks look like the most well modeled sharks I’ve seen in a game. Here’s hoping they don’t just attack you immediately like everyone seems to expect these days.

11. kud13 says:

what have tehy done with the wub-wub?

12. Chaz says:

Looking very nice, I’ve rather enjoyed the Far Cry series thus far and I’m looking forward to this one greatly.

13. Paul says:

Console footage: Detected.

(very excited for it nonetheless. Ubi better not frakk up the PC version).

14. speedwaystar says:

so it won’t be on sale in Australia, then?

• Jackablade says:

Not unless the governments decide to stop pissing about and get their shit sorted on the whole R-Rating business before September. So no. No chance it’ll be on sale here.

15. TsunamiWombat says:

Yes, but does it have any wub wub?

16. poisonborz says:

Scripted fun for everyone…
    …but me.

17. kastanok says:

Richard E. Grant is looking rather strung out lately.

18. Xardas Kane says:

A game about a guy stuck on a tropical island with a bunch of insane people and lots of hallucinogenic mushrooms? Hell, I’m sold!

Seriously though, I think UbiSoft are on to something here. The whole insanity and survival thing gives the game a certain edge and distinguishes it from the tons of other shooters out there. It most definitely looks promising.

19. shaydeeadi says:

If you can play almost all of the game with mushroom funtimes happening, I am collectors edition level sold!

20. RagingLion says:

I’m not sure I’m into this drug stuff. I prefered the serious tone of Far Cry 2 more.

21. ArtyFishal says:

Love the drug stuff! and in the game.

22. john_silence says:

Drugs is the new physics.

23. popedoo says:

One of the voice actors sounds like the guy from Amnesia: Dark Descent.

I liked the bit with the guns

24. augustl says:

A lot of “press enter to not die”, it seems.. I hope I’m wrong.

25. shrk says:

Finally, a game that combines my love of guns and my love of LSD!

26. Shooop says:

Yep, we’re long overdue for a FPS crash.

When the only way to differentiate between them are throwing in hallucinogenics, it’s time to give up.

27. Crazygeek777 says:

i hope there won’t be as many bang bang shooty linear setpieces as this trailer makes it out to have, i would much prefer the farcry2 style open world take to it, without the annoying as fuck instant respawn checkpoints.

Comment on this story