Max Payne 3’s Multiplayer In (Slow) Motion

By Jim Rossignol on March 28th, 2012 at 5:41 pm.

Hello, you. The unseasonably warm afternoons seem to be making the hivemind sleepy. Personally I’ve been in a trance for the best part of an hour, just staring off into the blue skies overhead. Mmm. Is that jazz playing from an open window? But then everything suddenly came back into focus and I realised there were videos to be blogged. And we all like to see imaginary men getting shot – Hell, some of us depend on it for our sanity. Yes, not a day goes by where RPS doesn’t provide your manshoot fix. Here it is. Again, and it’s Max Payne 3 multiplayer. How could that possibly work? Apparently by only making players in your line of sight enter bullet time. Which is a neat way to solve it. You’ll have sort of bullet time “bubbles” going off across the level when people choose to use it, I suppose. Anyway, the video explains it, so go take a look. Slooooowllllyyyyy.

Speaking of Max Payne 3’s multiplayer, we should have some eyes (and hands) on the PC version of that before long, so we’ll report back with clever observations. (Probably.)

, .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. grundus says:

Playing as actual story-related characters in an online 3PS, like Metal Gear Online? That was fun enough but glitchy and hacked to pieces in seconds. Also I don’t think we’ll get to play as a rather rude old man with a cloaking suit, which is a shame, because those games were great fun.

2. mentor07825 says:

I just hope we get to play as the New York skin version of Max Payne. He still looks boss, with that smug grin of his. And the animation looks nice.

• LennyLeonardo says:

I hope there’s a Max skin that has that terrible shirt and Sam Lake’s low-res mega-grimace.

3. WoundedBum says:

I’m incredibly excited about this game in general. It was a risk, sure, but Max Payne 1+2 are great games because of their tone. New York is gone, yeah, but this looks to still have a Max Payne soul if you will and I like seeing developers take mild risks. That said even if this story and atmosphere are way off, all previews point to it having incredibly fun shootybangs.

4. Njordsk says:

I’d rather have twice the SP length instead of MP, but nevermind.

• Kyrius says:

There you go. Feeling better now?
      Anyways, I never thought I’d actually like a multiplayer in max payne, but this just might work…

• Njordsk says:

Nah not much.

I’m not sure to understand why they feel the need to add MP in almost every game. It might work, but I’m pretty sure it’ll bomb after a month just like dead space 2 or DNF multiplayer, there isn’t ALWAYS the need for such thing, and i’d rather see them use their human ressources to make the SP even better.

/rant

• TsunamiWombat says:

Used Sales Bullshit, is why. Multiplox is also another selling point to put on the box

• paterah says:

Well why not mention RDR? It works great there.

• DrGonzo says:

I always wanted Max Payne multiplayer. Could be a nice revival of the arena shooter.

Seems strange the way they have done it. I imagined it would be based around cinematic battles, 2 on 2, 1 on 1. Essentially close to but not infringing any copyrights from films. The cafe and hospital duels from Hard Boiled for example.

• RegisteredUser says:

but my expectations for the actual SP game dropped to near zero upon seeing this ingame footage to be perfectly honest.

5. Oof says:

Ugh, I don’t know about this tagging on of multiplayer to everything. JC. Just put out a stand-alone multiplayer title. Lazy. Short-sighted. Greedy. Etc.

6. Stevostin says:

“3rd Person perspective that allows player to connecter with the character”

This guy unplugs cables to connect them ? Seing the character I am supposed to be instead of seing what he sees is the best way to be 100% sure that I am not connected to him. 3rd person view makes sense in Max Payne, but because it’s a lot of 360° gunning action at short range that needs the full positioning awareness we have IRL that somehow gets lost in FPV. Certainly not to create a “connection”. BTW connection to the character in a multiplayer man shooting game ? Really ?

• Ashnal says:

This may sound absurd to you, but I connect more with characters that I can see than disembodied floating cameras. It’s a good thing to be reminded that the character in the game isn’t the person playing the game, but rather that the player is filling the shoes of a character in the game world.

As for character connection in a man shooting game, perfectly possible and good if done right. See Dead Space.

• KenTWOu says:

However Dead Space and Dead Space 2 have huge differences in terms of character connection. Dead Space has silent protagonist and shows his face only twice during walkthrough, so it feels almost like any first person shooter and it makes the first game even scarier. You thought that you are inside his incredibly brutal claustrophobic suit when monsters tear you apart. While Dead Space 2 was typical third person shooter with protagonist’s voiceover and face animation just like Max Payne, space suits also wasn’t brutal enough

So Dead Space was about you inside the USG Ishimura, while Dead Space 2 was about Isaac Clarke on the Sprawl. That’s why I prefer the first one.

7. Stevostin says:

Target life constantly displayed ? Hmph.

• deck.ard says:

Yeah, that bugged me too. Aside from that it looks quite interesting.

8. rulez says:

How does Bullet Time work in Multiplayer? What about players who are not in the field of view of the player who activates it?

• DXN says:

My impression is that anyone not in LOS of someone who’s doing bullet-time will not have their time affected.

• BobbyFizz says:

The Specialists mod for HL1 did bullet time perfectly, worth loking up some youtube clips.

• Milos says:

Yes that’s what I thought and then what? You see a couple men going slow-mo like kids playing Max Payne and then you leisurely line up your head-shots and take them all out?

• Richard Parker says:

I think it’s a 360-degree line of sight (I.e., “potential line of sight”), not just who you can see on camera. It would be absurd if it was just the guy in front of you who was in slow-mo!

9. Duckee says:

Not really such a large developer challenge to balance bullet times. I bet the devs just played the Specialists and copied those mechanics.

10. Torgen says:

I guess when you unexpectedly hear the “heartbeat” sound effect, it’s time to find cover NOW, in excruciating slow motion, as someone just got the drop on you. Could prove to be interesting.

11. woodsey says:

Wait, if two people are in bullet time, and others aren’t, then surely those who aren’t will be travelling a lot farther?

• hosndosn says:

Traveling, yes. But using line-of-sight to determine who’s entering slo-mo is actually a smart move and can be emphasized with level design. Since the game is designed around it, I’d say it will be balanced to work.

Unfortunately, it looks rather boring when bullet time is off and multiplayer is more about efficiency than style which could kill the whole point of Max Payne’s movie-esque feel. Hmm. Reminds me of The Specialist, though, which was pretty cool.

Let’s see. It’s weird how much their butchered noire style overshadows them adding a ton of mechanical features to the game I have genuinely been looking forward to. I wished Remedy would do this game instead of their ho-hum Alan Wake.

• grundus says:

I’m hoping it’ll be possible to spot a guy shooting another guy in a slow-motion backwards dive, walk over to him as he’s sailing through the air, wait for him to hit the ground with no ammo and just cap him. In slow motion again. Oh how I would laugh, but I somehow don’t think that’s how it’ll work.

12. hosndosn says:

The gunplay looks good but they fucked up the noire style so badly… why call it Max Payne?

• Tyrone Slothrop. says:

Because it is a Max Payne game and frankly if you’re blind to the themes of the game, the importance of the setting and how both follow the essential framework of Chandler and Hammett then you deserve to be frustrated by what I can only surmise is a list of grievances, ultimately superficial in nature.

Here’s a good test, if you’re at all bothered in the slightest by the fact the game is set outside of America and the sun is present, then you really might want to consider watching The Third Man and Chiantown respectively. It’s not a law of physics, genre or franchise that mandates Max has to stay in New York, or as some previews have alluded to, keeping relatively quiet in New Jersey, it’s especially ridiculous considering the mountainous trail of corpses left in his wake and it’s perfectly logical that it finally catches up with him mandating a drastic change in residence.

• Mordsung says:

Noir is more about the style of narrative and the story itself than the imagery.

It’s actually refreshing to see them take noir-style story out into the sunlight.

13. Jibb Smart says:

What if you don’t have line-of-sight to the person who started bullet time, but the person you’re targeting does — will you slow down as well, or will you still be at full speed?

14. nyarlathotep-88 says:

This does not intrigue me one bit.

Stellar Duck says:

It looks alright, I suppose. Not for me though.

16. Stephen Roberts says:

The article picture almost looks like he’s diving forward using only his fists. And the bad-guy is bleeding pre-contact. I can see the guns now but I want to play a diving punch-em-up.

17. ahmedaak88 says:

i don’t get it so only people with your line of sight experience the slow motion but people outside it will not ?
    i mean that sound a little bit unfair since your forcing people to go into slow motion while the your friend can run like hell

18. chackosan says:

This looks a bit boring. Hopefully it’s one of those things that plays better than it looks.