More Like Dungeons Of DredMOD

By Adam Smith on May 1st, 2012 at 5:30 pm.

The end is nigh brows

I’d gladly welcome another expansion pack for Dungeons of Dredmor and I gladly shall when the next one arrives in the near future. To add to the glad, it’ll be free as well, having been constructed with “the cooperation of a handful of the Dredmor community’s top modders”. It’s not slight and full details of the contents are below. Not content with welcoming the mod community into their home, Gaslamp Games are also serving tea and biscuits, or at least that’s how I interpret the news that modding will now be integrated with the Steam Workshop. Mods for all, mods of all stripes, and also biscuits for those who would like them.

At the minute they’re calling it ‘You Have To Name The Expansion Pack‘ and maybe that’s what they’ll be calling it for the next seven hundred billion minutes as well. Here are the details:

Steam Workshop; mod integration with Steam! We’re turning it on! It’s Steamy!

Battle Geology, a wizard-like warrior skill with earth-shattering consequences by the terribly mysterious Null (how mysterious? terribly.)

Clockwork Knight and Rogue Scientist, a pair of crafty steampunk skill lines by the too-clever-by-half Ruigi

Warlockery, the wizard skill for wizards who would rather by warriors, by the utterly mad Essence — he wrote over 500 lines of xml for one spell.

A mess of twisty little rooms, all different, created by the deranged architect our mortal speech renders “Bergstrom“; The geometry is all wrong.

And to inhabit the renovated Dungeons of Dredmor we’ve summoned a pack of new monster variations dug up by one FaxCelestis, from the existentially troubling Poorly Cloned Hero to the lofty Diggle Rocketeer.

Naturally there are some new items and other such nonsense happening which you’ll have to discover on your own.

There’s no release date but the words ‘very soon’ are italicised on the newspost over at Gaslamp, which means it’s probably less than a year away.

, , , .

1. Teronfel says:

Great news!

2. Wetworks says:

The only mod I want is an unlimited inventory mod. I usually have no problems with inventory management in games but for some reason I became highly agitated at not being able to pick up all the loot in the dungeons.

• arccos says:

That’s one of the reasons I like Stone Soup so much. You can’t sell anything, so you only bring what you may need. And when that becomes too much, you can create a stash that the game recognizes as such and you can auto-navigate to it across multiple levels.

Keymonk says:

I love that the Quake-style announcer tells you your inventory is full. :D “YOUR INVENTORY IS FULL!”

• ralph_plauren says:

Wow.. “the evil empire” ?? Better put your tinfoil hat on before the Steam agents register your malcontent and send microwaves to your brain.

This expansion sounds great. Its awesome that they are recognising the community mod efforts. The clockwork knight mod is really well made.

As for the humour… to me it harkens back to the old Lucasarts adventure games style humor and that can only be a good thing right ?

3. MythArcana says:

*Sigh* All the more reason to play NetHack and Stone Soup. The endless toilet humor in this game is nauseating [IMHO] and it seems every patch introduces some showstopping bug. Now the community creates its’ own second expansion for the game…and the Evil Empire assumes command of the mod database. There’s something just terribly not right with this whole scenario…

Keymonk says:

Personally, I really loved the humour – I dunno if I’d call it toilet humour, but it is a very silly game indeed. I do enjoy the fact, however, since it actually holds my interest far more than it would otherwise, i can imagine. When part of the appeal is to see what else they’ll come up with, it’s a deal for me. ^^

• Flint says:

Toilet humour? What?

• ralph_plauren says:

• Wreckdum says:

Wow I was just about to make a tin foil hat joke and when I hit log in to reply your post updated. =(

Anywho, I’ll go with my reserve joke.

Someone get this guy a ladder to get on and off his high horse. Toilet humor? Evil empire? If anyone lives in the shadow of first world problems it is you sir.

• Robert says:

I think MythArcana poos on humour that is not his/her own.

RedViv says:

And we all know that this is reasonable and would only be silly if humour were to be very subjective.

• UnravThreads says:

Um, the community created the mods, and then Gaslamp Games themselves have overhauled, rebalanced and created icons for it.

It’s a team effort.

• jamesgecko says:

You’re surely aware that mods can still work the exact same way they’ve always worked, should you enjoy clicking through forum threads and extracting zip files into folders, right? The Steam Workshop integration is entirely optional.

And community members will keep posting mods to the forum, at the very least for balance feedback.

• qrter says:

Toilet humour? It’s silly, certainly, but I wouldn’t call it toilet humour.

And the silliness is what makes me come back to the game, time and time again – other rogue-likes are so self-serious and dull.

• pipman3000 says:

your comment is toilet humor because it’s a load of crap

• tangoliber says:

I can’t recall a single toilet humor joke in Dredmor.

• pertusaria says:

Some of the things the monsters collapse into when you kill them are gross for the sake of it. Also, there’s the omnipotent pork sword. This sort of thing doesn’t exactly permeate the game, though.

• Caiman says:

Dredmore was created so that people who would prefer to play Nethack and Stone Soup can continue doing so.

• pipman3000 says:

oh fie on thee casual scum i must convert everyone to my roguelike of choice keep your “reason” out of here heathan

Some_Guy says:

Anyone ever made a game with non-eclidian geometry?

• Phasma Felis says:

Every game where the world is flat but wraps at the edges is non-Euclidean. It’s not as interesting as Lovecraft made it sound. :)

• InternetBatman says:

I would like it if there was a cheerful platformer that had this horrible dark space in with tentacled abominations in between where the map should wrap around.

• Porkolt says:

Actually, those types of worlds would be shaped like donuts in 3D.

Lord Custard Smingleigh says:

Reaching back a bit, the Build engine can do totally nonsensical geometry. Duke Nukem 3D etc. could do this with ease, my friends and I made mind-bending custom maps to fight each other in which you could, for example, only get to certain corridors by going around a central pillar clockwise.

• Waltorious says:

Isn’t Antichamber something similar to a game made with non-euclidian geometry? Or maybe it’s just that its geometry does not obey any consistent rules. Wonky geometry, is the point. I’m definitely looking forward to it.

• Kyrall says:

How about Hyperbolic Rogue?

• Humppakummitus says:

This guy made a non-euclidian map:

5. CptSqweky says:

Loved the Mystery Men reference.

6. caddyB says:

Dungeons of Dredmor is my favorite game that I never play.

7. cubed2d says:

“seven hundred billion minutes = 1 330.92811 millenia” Thanks Google, that really helped me get t grips with that large number

8. mentor07825 says:

Carrot Top….is that you?

• Phantoon says:

Have you seen Carrot Top recently? Dude is ripped as hell.

• mentor07825 says:

Yeah, but I supsect it’s to get back at all the people that made fun of him. :3

9. CaspianRoach says:

Free? I would gladly pay for it, the game is criminally cheap as it is!

RedViv says:

Ever since the female Eyebrowed One appeared, I have been a little bit more proud of never having plucked those red lines above my peepers. Randomly throwing this out there, since I now feel more proud of having thrown money at the people handing out sweets like this.

Big Murray says:

I put quite a few hours into this game, but I think I’ve come up against the wall of depth. The game just isn’t a complex enough rogue-like to make me want to come back just for a few extra skill trees and such. I know it’s not trying to be a deep rogue-like though, and that’s fine.

12. GT3000 says:

Jesus, the female character is fugly, like a Scandinavian neanderthal mated with an orangutan.

13. povu says:

I love these guys.

14. nizzie says:

Freeee?? But what am I gonna do with all my money then?!

Very nice indeed.

15. InternetBatman says:

I love Dungeons of Dredmore, but I quit after I got to level 7 and realized that it was impossible for my build to succeed. It doesn’t do a great job of telling how your skills affect your stats, and having skill scale all the way down. Smithing is a great example of this. You get good gear half way down, and then its useless.

Keymonk says:

Just random your skills and get as far as you can. :D That’s where the fun is, i find.

• UnravThreads says:

And that will be addressed to some degree with this DLC pack, as it adds more talents to some skills, thus allowing you to craft better things.

There are some builds which are super powerful, some which are shite. Some are about survivability, some about damage, some about utility. Some make the game impossible to beat, some will make it easier. There’s also resources out there (i.e. Dungeons of Dredmor Wiki) with complete stat lists explaining each skill and its benefits.

Transparency would be great, but it’s not necessary. It’s about fun, not Being T3h Best Evrar.

16. pertusaria says:

I just want to say thanks to RPS for yet another great game that you’ve brought to my attention repeatedly until I finally bought it. I got this Saturday morning and I’m very happy right now, even though I’ve only made it down to Level 2.