Et Tu, E3? Valve Not Planning Any New Announcements

By Nathan Grayson on May 3rd, 2012 at 8:30 am.

Nope.

[Sound of a doorbell ringing.] “Hello there! Yes, I have a delivery for you, Mr, um, Hugh Mann.” “What? That can’t be right. I never ordered anything.” “No, no, I’m pretty sure you did. I couldn’t help but notice you’re having a parade out back. It’s very nice. Wouldn’t want anything unfortunate to happen to it.” “Er, yeah. Anyway, I guess I’ll sign for this so you can go.” [Gigantic rain cloud emerges from box and ravages parade.] “NOOOOOOOO.” [Gabe Newell throws down his delivery cap and flees into a nearby alleyway, cackling maniacally.]

E3, ladies and gentlemen.

It all began with a purported discussion between a ValveTime forum member and head honcho/incurable prankster Gabe Newell himself. “We are not announcing anything at E3. Really,” Newell apparently said in an email. “We are not announcing Half-Life 3 or Portal 3 or Left 4 Dead 3. We are going to be showing stuff everyone already knows about (CS:GO, DOTA 2, [Steam's big picture mode]).”

And while Valve rep Doug Lombardi, speaking to Joystiq, wouldn’t stamp his seal of approval on that particular exchange, he did confirm that “We have no product announcements planned for this year’s show.”

So that’s kind of a bummer. I doubt this is just a big goofy “gotcha” ruse, either, seeing as Valve’s been uncharacteristically open lately, between the sizable Future Glasses discussion, employee handbook, and rather frank explanation of why Ricochet 2′s taken half a lifetime to complete. Who knows, though? Maybe the mystery wrapped in an enigma wrapped in a very dignified wisdom beard will turn around and take the wraps off Valve’s Next Big Thing the day after E3 wraps up. And then: an alleyway, cackling, etc. Gabe Newell, you so crazy.

, , , , .

1. Havok9120 says:

Alright, Fellow American Person. Which of our illustrious timezones are you in? Because its a bit late/early in most of them. YOU’RE SUPPOSED TO POST FOR US, NOT THE DIRTY LIMEYS!

Oh, I have to be on topic too? Well, this doesn’t surprise me at all. I would’ve been more surprised if they’d promised us an announcement.

• EhsanKia says:

What? RPS is a UK-based gaming blog. Why the fuck do Americans think that the whole world revolves around them?

• lordcooper says:

Your humour detector appears to be faulty.

• Havok9120 says:

0_o

Right then. Sweeping generalizations and such aside, you seem to be a tad grumpy and humorless this morning. Which is unfortunate considering what website you’re reading.

• choconutjoe says:

Every time I see a fellow Brit get out-ironied by an American, I die a little inside.

TheApologist says:

I can confirm that a letter has been dispatched to EhsanKia’s mum detailing this unfortunate humour failure, and politely requesting s/he withdraw from the internet until it can be brought up to snuff.

jezcentral says:

Who says s/he is British? Why the fuck do Brits think that the whole world revolves around them? etc etc.

I mean, y’know, s/he could be French….

• diestormlie says:

Do you want to know why? It’s because we haven’t gotten over our Imperialistic past. In our minds, at least, we still control a fair bit of the World.

• Bork Titflopsen says:

In America the English stereotype may consist of dapper men enjoying high tea in a room that smells of rich mahogany, but in Holland the dominant stereotype roughly of the people represented in ‘Two pints of lager and a packet of crisps’ and that everyone grabs their paychecks on friday, run off to a bar to get smashfaced becouse they close at 11 and then go outside to beat the crap out of eachother.

So get off your high horses, gents.

I’ll have a pint of lager, please and a packet flakeys!

• Carter says:

Jesus people watch that program in Holland, man alive…
            On topic it’s pretty insane that an announcement that Valve won’t be announcing anything gets past around so quickly

• Koozer says:

Dear god, that travesty actually made it that far from our shores? I feel sorry for Holland.

• Bork Titflopsen says:

I’m not saying it did well, it either got cancelled quit quickly or I just forgot about it, but the people in it are close to what people thought of Englishmen.

• The Greatness says:

Well it’s certainly more accurate than the American stereotype.

• lijenstina says:

Yeah, I’ve read the news about the strategic partnership between USA and Afghanistan. Irony is their middle name these days. Dark humour at it’s best.

• uh20 says:

A STRATEGIC WHAT!?!
            and the fact that none of us americans know this shows were just lazy :)
            of course, since i should write something in defense, its probably because no one wants to spend tax money on Afghanistan any more

• gwathdring says:

Er … you mean the agreement that basically say “We’ll keep doing what we’re doing” (which in turn is pretty much just very, very, very slowly backing away while simultaneously trying to avoid getting too involved, keep a political hold on the area, avoid taking responsibility, to not appear like we’re “giving up,” and to genuinely improve conditions, security and goodwill in Afghanistan. These goals are a bit contradictory in addition to being difficult)?

I’m not sure I see how it’s ironic exactly, but you’re welcome to enlighten me. Perhaps I am missed a nuance either of the word irony or of the agreement. It certainly peeves me that Obama thinks we can reasonably be expected to fund large portions of the Afghan security force, and I find it interesting that while there are plenty of provisions that make up for it in smaller ways Afghanistan resisted the idea of permanent US bases such as we’ve left in … pretty much every country we’ve started a war with or significantly invaded excluding Mexico.

• lijenstina says:

You’ve missed the point. In cases like these “Strategic partnership” is almost a coded word were an US backed proxy foreign government somehow manages to be the “other” side in negotiations cutting a deal with the US. It’s like a puppeteer shaking his other hand with the sock puppet on it.

Imagine this kind of news in the 80-ties. USSR and Afghanistan sign up a strategic partnership. Would it be tad bit funny ?

Don’t take this seriously.

Now the obligatory bit of a snarky comment towards the US foreign policy,

Feeling a bit touchy ? Don’t wreck the American Empire after only 20 years of being the only superpower. It’s a tad reckless. :p

• gwathdring says:

I haven’t missed the point. I’ve just missed the irony. I’m still missing it.

• Yosharian says:

That’s because there is no irony in the post…

• lijenstina says:

So the phrase “Strategic partnership” is not ironic ? You do understand that there is no strategic partnership at all because there is no other independent side to sign the contract ? You have just one side making a deal with itself through it’s proxy.

“Ironic statements (verbal irony) are statements that imply a meaning in opposition to their literal meaning. ”

Yup. I was wrong.

Now I’ll try to sign a strategic partnership with myself – however, I might be hesitant to do so because I do tend to brake up contracts with myself.

I wouldn’t trust myself if I was on my place. I said that myself is up to no good, but I hope that both sides, myself and me, will find some mutual understanding and sign the contract for the future of me and myself. Both sides, myself and me will be happy with the outcome if an agreement will be reached for the better future of both of us, prosperity and peace between me and myself.

• Tom Walker says:

Hang on, Nathan’s a former colonial? To think I’d been enjoying his posts completely unawares.
      This disgrace will not stand. Dispatch the galleons.

• Havok9120 says:

I’m afraid we have no galleons. Those predate us by a bit.

Does that mean we get to dispatch the USS Constitution to reply in kind? Its just been sitting in Philadelphia for all this time. It could probably use a good battle.

Mungrul says:

I still don’t believe Nathan’s a real person, rather the collective ectoplasmic regurgitation of the dreamstate hivemind.

• The Doge says:

We Canadians still loyal to the crown will lend you back those two ships you lent us way back when. just please be careful it’s still our entire navy!

• Ninja Foodstuff says:

Most of the posts now are on a timer, I believe.

• dotslash says:

has anyone noticed he said they’re not announcing anything new at E3.

Leaves it open that they can announce something new in your back garden.

2. Grundig says:

Its because Valve can only count to E2

• Arithon says:

Oh no, they PROMISED E3 to everyone, but then won’t appear with no explanation or apology. That’s the way it goes with Valve…

Devan says:

Isn’t this a good thing? Does no one remember this:

Whether intentionally or not, Valve is reducing the “value” of E3 by choosing not to announce anything at it. The only reason E3 is a big deal is because publishers, consumers and the media make it that way.

After all, they can announce things whenever they want and it will still get coverage. If there is information to be given, then it will be made known at an appropriate time. I find that better than having a known time to receive some announcement and then have it be some insignificant disappointment like that PS3 partnership that was somehow bottled as a “Portal 2 Surprise”.

3. Tretiak says:

NO means YES!

• Havok9120 says:

Had they promised a big announcement here, I would’ve expected them to renege on the promise. So I suppose we can hope for the reverse to be true.

lowprices says:

I would suggest this is not a wise philosophy to use in day-to-day life. It could lead to trouble.

• Syra says:

Read ‘Seduction Begins when the Woman Says No’

Oh pickup artists get all the best books.

• S Jay says:

At least some trouble with being charged of rape and stuff. Well, we never leave our homes anyway.

4. darkath says:

Ricochet is too much a big deal to be announced in such a boring way.

I expect no less than the full ARPG madness of Portal multiplied ten times.

Edit : oh and i don’t expect Valve to announce an announcement like those Bethesda dudes.

• TheWhippetLord says:

But they have announced the LACK of an announcement. Perhaps we can have the _right _ to announcements.

5. Phantoon says:

Gabe N, our lord and savior of gaming at Valve Software, dot com.

RedViv says:

We should just get over it and elect Gabe for world leadership. No World War 3, no third big depression, and no more third world.

• Bork Titflopsen says:

We should just create another world, then we can say:

“You should be happy with what you have, do you think children in fourth world countries care that their air is poluted? NO! They’re just happy they have air! I will hear no more about it, now quickly, here comes the Oxfam truck.”

• Fumarole says:

Nah, nothing would ever be done on time. I say we elect Michio Kaku.

6. rocketman71 says:

What happened to “we are announcing something with a 3 in it”?.

Fuck fuck fuck. Perhaps it’s time someone starts wielding a whip up there?. We were promised Ep3 in fucking 2008, remember?.

mrwonko says:

That was reportedly never said by anybody from Valve, just someone spreading rumours. (The something with a 3 in it part, that is.)

• rocketman71 says:

Well, I know it came from 4chan, but it was all over the press, and Valve usually is quick to shoot down such rumors when someone is making up a mail from gaben.

• exenter says:

You are wrong. Gabe Newell said long time ago that HL2: Episode 3 was in development.

phuzz says:

That promise? They broke it.
      Sorry, thought you knew :(

Still, we’ll get over it right?

7. Derppy says:

Steam’s big picture mode is a great thing for PC gaming.

Many people seem to have the idea PC gaming always means sitting in front of a monitor and playing with a mouse and keyboard. A common argument in favor of console gaming is how much more comfortable and easy it is to put in a disk and lay on the couch.

With Valve opening the eyes of the people by bringing a new UI just for “couch gaming”, we might see more games with local co-op, fighting games and all that good stuff that is way too often exclusive for consoles.

I already have a HTPC with gaming intestines and gamepads for the games that play best from the couch. I don’t really mind the desktop-UI, since all the other software requires a big screen / short distance to be usable and I prefer to use wireless mouse and keyboard outside of games anyway. However, I’m clapping my hands since the “Big Picture mode” means much more than just a gamepad / TV friendly UI for Steam.

• f1x says:

Indeed, the hate for gamepads is something I don’t get,
      in the past joysticks were the most cool thing around, :p

• MasterDex says:

It was just natural that the contempt the consoles bred would spread to the controller, as illogical as it may be – especially since many games ported to PC either:
        a)Demanded a controller when it wasn’t the ONLY option
        or
        b)Left little choice for the player regarding input due to shoddy m+kb implementation

But then, how often is passion ever logical, really? I’ve been using PC’s all my life and a controller was always seen as a part of that. Granted, at the start,it was all about the joystick but still, a controller has always been something to have if you were a PC gamer.

The most hilarious thing about the PC gaming “elite” (i.e. the young ones that hate on consoles and console gamers the most) is that most of them have likely, at one point or another, been console gamers themselves. So in essence, it’s the blind fighting the blind.

• f1x says:

pretty much this

yes sometimes companys are to blame because of poor inmplementation/options regarding control modes

but in the end, a gamepad is a basic imprescindible element for any PC gamer in my opinion, as much as the keyboard and the mouse,
          For example Batman Arkham City, it was perfectly tuned for both gamepad and keyb/mouse but I enjoyed it much much more with the gamepad

• MasterDex says:

Whereas I enjoyed it more with kb+m. Where there’s the ability to offer good control for either methods, it should be done. Rocksteady is a good example for other developers to look to when developing multiplatform titles,

• rapier17 says:

After 24 years of gaming I’ve still not needed a gamepad and have no desire or wish to purchase one. I own a joystick, a good old Precision Pro (which still works perfectly even though I purchased it over 13 years ago), but gamepads are still very much an option. I can’t recall any issues I’ve had with controls on the games I’ve played, but perhaps that is down to me purchasing games with either a decent implementation of mouse & keyboard or was a half-decent port. On my TS server, of the 15 people who regularly come on to it, none of us use a gamepad for PC gaming.

I do hate controllers personally but not because they’re from consoles – I find them uncomfortable and they make my finger joints lock up after about an hours use. Mouse&keyboard I’m fine with, can play for hours on end without issue and I’ve never had RSI from using M&K, but I’ve had issues with controllers ever since I played on one of my friends bright, brand new N64 (‘back in the day’).

• gwathdring says:

The N64 was designed for aliens. One could as effectively argue the superior hand-comfort of controllers by comparing the PS2 Dual-shock with the hockey-puck mouse design. We should also probably keep in mind that it can cost quite a lot to get a keyboard and mouse that work especially well in games–at least, compared to the cost of your typical basic-computing mouse and keyboard. Those games that choose to use high end peripherals have a rather slanted view about how good the entire genre of peripheral can be.

Standardized interfaces mean that games have to be designed around one of the available tools. Suggesting that any individual interface is superior on the basis of the player community having more experience with it our the development community more successfully implementing it doesn’t offer proper acknowledgment to the fact that these interfaces all had to be new, clunky, and ill-fitting of their target games at some point. We do occasionally have to learn new tricks. As for comfort? That’s the most subjective criterion of all. It depends wholly on your physiology. If you cannot find a comfortable gamepad (as I can’t, I admit) it is primarily because there is so little selection rather than becasue the format is inherently inferior.

• exenter says:

Yes, I did play on consoles when I was a kid, but back then there were very few first person shooters or other games that requires you to be precise with aiming. All the console games I played were racing, fighting, football, arcade flight games and a few platform games. All other genres are much better on a PC with mouse and keyboard.

Game developers are now trying to force PC gamers to use controllers on games that is much easier and more comfortable with a keyboard and mouse.

Monchberter says:

My latest hobby is going on the Steam forums for the beta of the new Counterstrike and asking what’s being done to optimise the game for controllers.

You can almost taste the rage / sheer incomprehension.

• Unaco says:

Wow. Sounds like a bundle of fun! Do you make sure to take a flask of warm lemon drink with you?

Monchberter says:

I prefer a mug of tea. But I am genuinely interested in whether I will indeed be able to play Counter-Strike on my HTPC, i’m not just a random troll, i’m a troll with vested interests.

• snv says:

There is a huge difference between joysticks and joypads:

Joysticks were generally used in addition to keyboard (and mouse), in games designed primarily around this setup. Therefore Joysticks were an extension of your user interface.

Games for Joypads get designed to be navigatable with just a joypad, and therefore the user interface and often the game dynamics get restricted by the pad.

• fish99 says:

I’ll explain it to you.

No one hates gamepads, they are fine with the right sort of game, I’ve used mine on my PC loads of times, they just don’t work well with anything where precision aiming is required, like first person shooters.

Also since you mention joysticks, the analogue stick on a gamepad is far less accurate than a joystick because the range of movement is so much smaller. With a joystick it’s a piece of cake to move it 10% left and hold it there, but it’s much harder on a pad. Also if you’ve ever programmed 360 pad support into a game you’ll know what a big deadzone (microsoft recommend a whopping 13%) you have to set because they don’t settle at the same spot, and big deadzone means no really fine aiming.

If you bought a joystick and had to set a deadzone of more than 5% you’d be returning it btw.

• gwathdring says:

YOU might not hate gamepads. I don’t hate gamepads either. But whether it is purely an Internet phenomenon or these people actually exist, I have encountered a lot of PC gamers online who will insist that the Mouse and Keyboard are superior to all other non-simulation-style control schemes. Their insistence tends to be both adamant and vulgar. It’s a very similar phenomenon to people insisting that “pad” playing is inferior to “stick” playing in fighting games as though these things are primarily empirical decisions.

Given your stance, I’m sure you can understand why this is frustrating.

• fish99 says:

TBH most of the hate i’ve seen towards gamepads is about their use in FPS games, and any game where fine aiming is required. I think that hate is brought out by the small minority that insist on saying aiming on a gamepad is just as good as on a mouse, when it just clearly isn’t. We’ve all sat there playing an FPS on console trying to get that crosshair to move that tiny amount needed to nail a headshot, or getting frustrated at the slow turning speed.

If people would stop denying that mouse/keyboard is superior for FPS I think you wouldn’t see much hate towards gamepads.

bear912 says:

I’m rather looking forward to Big Picture Mode, I must admit.

Of course, not as much as I would be looking forward to Half-Life 3…

• Jac says:

Not quite sure I follow big picture mode – surely we already have it via the magic of an HDMI cable?

• ResonanceCascade says:

Which is exactly how you’ll have it in the future, sir! But in the world of tomorrow, you’ll also have it with controller support and a made-for-TV UI.

• roryok says:

yeah but when I hear big picture mode I just think of being forced to play a game in front of a room full of big fat movie studio bosses with cigars

• darkath says:

On a side note, if I were Microsoft, i would implement X360 input for Windows 8 MetroUI, that way it could even be ‘remotely’ (huhu) useful for the like of us that don’t have a “touch screen” but a “huge screen”, and a couch.

Because when I’m in my couch, i like controlling the mouse with xpadder, but it really is suboptimal.

• InternetBatman says:

I really, really, really hate gamepads. I dislike them for two reasons. One is aiming with an analog stick. Using an analog to control 3d vision is just painful, and most of the systems that compensate for that are still clunky and bad.

The second is that your hands are too close together and using the same method of input for entirely different functions. It’s not natural. I firmly believe that it’s something people have gotten accustomed to but it’s just not a great system.

For my tastes, the closest to ideal form factor for video games is the wiimote. It solves the hand position issue, uses an analog stick for movement where it’s best, and also provides pointer control for viewing things. It has several technical problems, especially the gyroscopic motion controls, but theoretically it’s amazing.

Vandelay says:

I can highly recommend the Razer Hydra for motion controls on the PC for the reasons you hail the Wiimote, except it doesn’t suffer from the accuracy problems. The only current issues is the lack of analogue input with the profiles. You can fake it by setting up dead zones for walking and it is in games with direct integration (Portal 2 and TF2 now, the rest of Valve’s catalogue coming soon) but you are just replicating keyboard keys for most games. This makes games with driving feel very strange.

I’m kind of amazed that the PS 3 Move controller has not made a bigger impact on the way people play console games (not used them though, so might be crap.) If they are anything like the Hydra, then motion controls really do provide near-mouse levels of control, but are perfectly comfortable whilst sitting back on a couch.

8. f1x says:

To be honest, its been so long I’ve lost the interest in Half-Life

Of course the day it releases in 2045 I’ll be hyped about it but at the moment I dont give a damn

9. thessalian_pine says:

So I guess if Valve say “No announcements will be made” they mean “No announcements will be made”.
    Or does it?

10. AbyssUK says:

The cake is a lie ?

• MasterDex says:

It was always a lie! Haven’t we learned that by now?!

*runs to a corner to curl up and cry.

• roryok says:

In fact, Portal’s entire plot is a satirical commentary on the way in which valve manipulates fans, promising the “cake” of episode 3 while making them all jump through the “tests” of other games like TF2, L4D and ironically Portal itself. The cake is, and has always been, a lie. And more the fools we to keep jumping through their hoops waiting for it. Wake up internet

THE PORTAL JUST BRINGS YOU BACK TO THE BEGINNING

• Grey Ganado says:

Spoiler alert:
      If you had played Portal until the end you would know that the cake was actually not a lie.

• Grygus says:

The cake was a lie, in the sense that you were promised cake as a reward for good performance, but actually were intended to receive only fiery death. The fact that the cake exists changes nothing about the central falsehood.

• roryok says:

what he said

11. Jambe says:

An announcement that Valve hasn’t made an announcement? What?

I like Valve as much as the next guy and look forward to HL3 a helluva lot, but whinging about Valve’s privacy was silly and annoying when John did it and the shtick has only worsened with age. We’re not entitled, in any sense whatsoever, to any knowledge or news about anything Valve is working on. What they decide to share (and when) is their bloody business, and the way they’ve been going about it since the nineties has worked just fine for them.

I guess I’m just being a grumpy old man because of a long day, but eh. When Valve announces something, cover it. But when they say they have nothing to announce? Why not just cover what they do have to talk about and get on with life? Yes yes, your folks’ site, you write what you want, but I read it regularly (with ads on!) and tell friends to read it specifically because it has great pithy writing and the odd fun whim-article and worthwhile interesting news coverage as opposed to a straight constant tap of all the PC gaming news ever… I guess I’m saying I like this place because of the curation process of the staff. But this article just sticks out like a sore, entitled thumb (and I’m not ragging on you, specifically, Mr Grayson — Walker is an excellent writer despite the similar Valve-news-whinging, for example, and your other posts are just fine).

BUT I WANT MY HL3 NOOOOOWW I ALSO WANT MY DIAPER CHANGED AND A TEETHER

Yeah, I’m a bit tired and annoyed. But I still love this place, and Grayson, you’re not at all bad.

• MasterDex says:

I hear what you’re saying but surely there’s still legitimacy in letting people know not to get their hopes up for something new from Valve – or the something from them – especially when it’s not long ago that rumours were floating around that they would announce something.

• JackShandy says:

Wow, your avatars are making the same face.

12. Asskicker says:

And how do we know those emails are legit? I mean, anyone can fake an email…

• Skabooga says:

Stage 1: Denial

• ResonanceCascade says:

He’s also sent a bunch of emails to various members of the Steam community that all say no Half-Life. People who pretty much live there and by all accounts aren’t prone to trolling.

I mean, there’s always the chance that it’s a great troll conspiracy, but it seems really, really unlikely.

13. jkz says:

So now we have, pre-announcement announcements, and non-announcement announcements. Move along nothing to announce here.

14. DaftPunk says:

I hate them.

• Skabooga says:

Stage 2: Anger

• InternetBatman says:

They’re just waiting for everyone to get to the bargaining stage before they release it. I’ll pay anything for Half-Life 3.

phlebas says:

No Ricochet 2? Denied!

16. ChainsawCharlie says:

They might still do a “Jaffe”. Might->hope

17. byteCrunch says:

Half Life 3? What is that? I vaguely remember something about a half-life. Who knows.

18. Sup says:

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

19. Jayson82 says:

Half life 2 came out in 2004 that’s 8 years ago so I’m afraid that HL2 EP3 when and if it ever comes out will be a massive disappointment no matter how good it is made, how much more can they pull out of a 8 year old engine?

Unless the reason there holding it back is to introduce a new engine when they release it there will be problems.

Remember DNF took 12 years and it looks really bad really outdated. Never mind game design which we all know valve can pull off great the problem is that they will end up releasing an addon to a 8 year old game using the same engine, a third episodic part when the last part came out in 2007 five years ago.

No matter how good there games are the only reason valve has not gone under is steam a second revenue source.

I would say this is really there last chance to release the third episode if it goes on for another year it could backfire on them.

• aethereal says:

One of the upsides of Source is how modular it is. There’s a large difference from how HL2 looked 8 years ago, to how it looks now, and to how Ep2 looks, Portal/Portal 2 looks, etc. It’ll never be the bleeding edge of graphics technology but it really doesn’t have to be…
      If theres anything games have taught me, its that a game obsessed with how good it looks (rage, crysis, etc), will never be as good as one that tries to make a fun, engaging experience.

20. hemmer says:

You’re way too fixated on E3, they’re only saying they won’t announce anything THERE.
    HL3 playable demo at gamescom, betcha didn’t expect that!

Honestly though, it wouldn’t surprise me too much, seeing as several developers have forsaken E3 entirely already.

21. Walter Heisenberg says:

We go through this same exact routine every year :(

22. Syra says:

Wake up and smell the ashes.

23. mod the world says:

It’s just cruel leaving us with such a cliffhanger on Ep 2 and then to cancel the part where we get told how the story ends. Reminds me of how “My name is Earl” ended.
    I’m also announcing that i will not announce anything at the E3.

• fish99 says:

I can tell you the EP3 story: Gordon and Alyx run around shooting things, a load of weird sci-fi stuff happens that makes no sense and then they kill off a minor character in the last 2 minutes.

Oh and it’s on a scooby-doo ghost ship this time.

24. Iskariot says:

I don’t even care anymore.

I think the subject of Half Life should be avoided completely until there is really something concrete to announce.

I am a Half Life fan since its spectacular beginnings. For me it was the game of all games. Half Life was a revelation. But lately I only feel annoyance and irritation whenever Half Life is mentioned.

I think it is bullshit to waste article after article just saying that there is nothing to say.

25. aukondk says:

I’ve already had the best news from Valve this year, Steam and the Source engine coming to Linux. Not just a hidden reference to it in a leaked client, but actual pics and discussion of it being worked on. The day I can zap my Windows partition safe in the knowledge I can still play HL2 or Portal will be a joyous time indeed!

26. Kadayi says:

Label under care subsection give a shit