Dino Dash: Primal Carnage

By Adam Smith on May 8th, 2012 at 1:00 pm.

The greatest 'fire and frying pan'/'rock and hard place' you'll see today

Only a fool would take the recent release of Orion: Dino Beatdown as evidence that there are sufficient dinosaur versus man games in the world. Until the dinosaurs outnumber the dead it is the duty of every so-called hunter of great game to demand more ‘clever girl’ and less ‘shambling, idiotic ghoul’. Like a t-rex drooling on a leashed goat, John has salivated over previous footage of Primal Carnage in the past and now it’s my turn to watch videos of the multiplayer massacre in a pose of slack-jawed admiration. Remember, dinosaurs and mercenaries alike are controlled by people.

This is alpha footage. Alpha. I expect the beta, signups for which begin soon, to be so exciting that playing it will make my monitor hyperventilate.

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. Yuri says:

Watching this, all i could think of was “God i loved Dino Crisis 2″.

The trailer has almost the exact same feeling about it as that old game.

• BULArmy says:

Now I really want a SP dino game in the veins of Dino Crisis, why all those games must be MP only…?!

• ucfalumknight says:

I’m with you. I’m not one for MP, and this would make for a brilliant SP campaign.

• Zelius says:

Same here. I would absolutely love a single player, story-based, first person dino game. Perhaps (semi-)freeroam, with survival elements mixed in.

Why won’t anyone take our money?

• doofusmagnus says:

This is also a dream of mine. It started when I was playing Far Cry 2 and suddenly thought of how awesome it would be if there were dinosaurs lurking among the ferns and shadows instead of human militia. The fact that no such game exists taunts me to this very day.

• ZIGS says:

The first demo for Dino D-Day was actually single-player but then they made the full game into MP, also saying the SP part was coming. Yeah, not happening

• exenter says:

Dino Crisis 2 is still my favorite game.

2. LTK says:

“Best played on Origin PCs”? What, is EA into hardware manufacturing nowadays?

• Unaco says:

Not the same Origin. Origin PCs was formed by former employees of Alienware.

• stahlwerk says:

Thanks for clearing that up, unaco.

We create worlds… sigh.

• Stromko says:

I’m with you on that one. The Origin storefront is like if the paparazzi decided to start a celebrity gossip magazine called Diana. We’re a bit bothered by what you did, so stop wearing their skin, please.

At least the PC assembler that’s using the name isn’t an IP-gobbling monster, just unoriginal.

3. InternetBatman says:

The base shown looks kind of similar to Torlan in UT2004.

4. Alien426 says:

I loved the GDC Tech Demo, but instead of the exploratory adventure I was hoping for (in spite of the title) we seem to get another hectic shooter.

5. atticus says:

I don’t really get excited about MP games, but this one looks sweet! I always wanted a Jurassic Park-style game, but seen from the dinosaur perspective… Running around destroying stuff, eating civillians etc.

In fact, any kind of “giant reptile/monster vs. the world” would have been cool. Why aren’t there any of those?

6. Lazurah says:

Here’s hoping that the gameplay itself is shaping up as development continues. The graphics have always looked great, but in previous trailers, the way the humans and dinosaurs move and act has suggested to me that actually playing the game is…less than fun. But until this comes out and I can judge it for myself, I will continue playing Dino D-Day.

7. Crimsoneer says:

Well, that made me really regret wasting money on Orion.

8. Maldomel says:

We definitely need more dinosaurs in our games! RAWRRR!!

9. Flaringo says:

God fucking damnit. I KNEW there was a great looking dino game coming up some time in the future. I impulse bought Orion as fast as I could thinking it was this. Can I sue someone? I need to blame someone for this!

10. Grim_22 says:

Looks fairly int-rexting.

11. Syra says:

Oh Em Gee. It’s so pretty. I wanna eat cowboys.

12. therighttoarmbears says:

Oh man, that looks so great! However, it looks like it would be a TON of work to balance. I hope it works!

13. Eclipse says:

seems very similar to Dino D-Day

• yutt says:

Fortunately it is not at all. I’ve played Primal Carnage at the last 2 PAX Easts and it has been a blast. Whereas, if dinosaurs were not extinct, they would have grounds to sue the developers of Dino D-Day for defamation of character.

Playing as a dinosaur in Primal Carnage feels like playing a dinosaur, and is an absolute joy – as it should be. Playing a dinosaur in Dino D-Day feel like playing a human wearing a movement restricting dinosaur costume, while people shoot you with guns and you flail your rubber dinosaur arms at them.

14. CheesyJelly says:

The trailer makes it look extremely and constantly chaotic. If that’s the case, I’m going to find it off-putting. Otherwise, I really really want this game!

• Doctor_Hellsturm says:

+1. They need to do something about the pacing, that video only showed the worst parts of Natural Selection 1.

15. TheManfromAntarctica says:

When’s Valve gonna make a game with dinosaurs?

16. GamerOS says:

Looks more promising then Orion, then again, Orion also looked promising.

17. drbluez says:

Oww, a BETA..that´s what ORION is doing atm but they are taking money for it.

18. Velvetmeds says:

Hope it doesn’t suck as much as Orion.

Who am i kidding, nothing could suck that much!…

19. Shortwave says:

I kept seeing this game in the steam store list. Clicking out of mild interest in Dinosaurs due to my childhood obsession like most kids.. Clicked. Seen one blurry dinosaur in the darkness out of ALL of the screenshots. Go “WTF” and close it.. Just being honest here. But yea, would be cool to see a single player game with some cool dino’s for once. Theres so many good shooters to pick from right now in the world of MP. This just isn’t gunna’ do it I think.

20. Hendar23 says:

I said about a year ago that Dinosaurs would be the new Zombies. I await vindication.

21. subshell001 says:

The problem I have with this is, I don’t see how dinosaurs play into it other than that’s what the models look like. What I mean is that their behaviors will still be human behavior since they are controlled by humans – not AI based on decades of dinosaur research. There probably won’t be packs of velociraptors, just a bunch of lone rangers running around trying to eat the pesky humans.

• doofusmagnus says:

There’s actually not a whole lot of solid evidence for pack behavior in the dromaeosaurs.

But hey, nothing’s stopping you from forming a clan of dinosaur enthusiasts who play the dinosaur classes in certain ways.

22. doofusmagnus says:

Feathers! I want feathers on my dinosaurs!

And hair on the pterosaur!

• Dilapinated says:

Yessss. Very much! I would love to see some feathered, crested dinosaurs in games. They seem stuck in the same post-JP rut that TV is. It’s been 20 years already, I think the world is ready for some historically accurate dinosaurs.

It’s like if one historian theorised that cavemen wore leather chaps, and a director picked up on that, and for the next 20 years every documentary or other piece of media needed fabulous, chap-wearing cavemen to get anyone’s attention.

• doofusmagnus says:

Holy crap, I’m glad we agree, but you have no idea how much I despise you right now for bringing it to my attention that Jurassic Park came out nearly 20 years ago. Eeeeeuuunnnghhhh….

• equatorian says:

Yesssssssss this so much! I’d say that the adult Rex could keep its feather, though, isn’t there some evidence to the idea that the larger the dinosaur, the fewer the feathers? Unless you count the Yutyrannus which may or may not be a tyrannosaur at all.

But that aside : every other coelurosaur, please, please have feathers! And have pterosaurs with giant colorful crests. And have sauropods with stiffer necks. And. And.

I just want a proper version of that Japanese Xbox game where you have go hunt ‘realistic’ dinosaur and analyze their poop, I guess.

23. Tei says:

I think would be possibel to make a Natural Selection game with dinosaurs.

24. Tokamak says:

I am somewhat surprised they managed to get this on Steam with all the shady undercurrents that have been running during the development of this game. That said, I’m not interested anyways as you apparently can’t play as the dinosaurs.

• Resonance says:

You’ve confused this game [Primal Carnage] with the abysmal ‘Orion : Dino Beatdown’.

Two completely different games.

• paterah says:

Wait what? As the other guy said I think you confuse this one with something else. And you can play as dinosaurs.

25. equatorian says:

I’d like one of these single-player and with feathered dinosaurs, if only so we can learn to be scared of fluffy chickenlike things that can kill us. I really want to be eaten by feathered dinosaurs at some point!

Comment on this story