Dungeons Of Dredmor: The Game With No Name

By Alec Meer on June 6th, 2012 at 9:18 am.

I might also call it 'Dungeons of Dredmor: Squirrels

Suicidally deciding to launch during E3 – don’t they realise we have to post all the trailers, until such time as we are dead? – is a free expansion for the lovely (if divisive) Dungeons of Dredmor. Despite the devs coming up with all manner of “new items, enemies, rooms, skills, and things to generally make your life Better and/or More Full of Death”, the one thing they couldn’t force their tired brains to do was devise a title for the new content. Hence, it is simply “You Have To Name The Expansion Pack.” I’m going to call mine Dungeons of Dredmor: George Osborne Is A Pasty-Faced Spawn Of An Earwig With A Weeping Sore Where His Soul Should Be. How about you?

The main draws are probably the new Skill trees, including Battle Geology, Clockwork Knight, Rogue Scientist and Warlockery, but obviously there are more things to kill too. Much of the new stuff comprises a sort of Best Of the modding community’s recent efforts.

Speaking of which, also now a thing is support for the Steam Workshop, which means all manner of third-party mods can be browsed , added or even uploaded. More info on that here, the currently available mods are here and here is the place to go if you wish to get a-modding yourself.

Additionally, Dredmor itself is currently available at a 70% discount, as is the ‘complete’ package also containing the Realm of the Diggle Gods add-on. In either case, the game is so cheap as to be almost free right now.

But this still isn’t the best Dredmor news today. The best Dredmor news today is the system requirements for the new expansion pack.

Well, now we know who won E3.

, , , .

1. RaytraceRat says:

Oh no… does this mean that I need to get back to this game? I already spent almost 100h on it last year…

• JD Ogre says:

Only 100 hours? Bah. I’ve got 681 hours on it – and still haven’t won. :( ["Life"? No, I don't think I've ever heard of such a thing...]

• RaytraceRat says:

I think I never went pass level 7, permadeath is a cruel and unpredictable mistress.
        700h is quite a lot I must say :)

• Gerbick says:

Thank goodness I’m not the only one to have put (checks Steam) 93+ hours in and still not reach Dredmor himself.

• Synesthesia says:

Me too, have never killed dredmor. Off to my couch of defeat for a whle, again.

• Shuck says:

I’ve somehow not managed to get more than three rooms in before dying, having expended all my health-regenerating items. Clearly I’m playing it wrong.

• geldonyetich says:

I’ve taken down Dredmor a couple times, hardcore normal and easy. As far as being a roguelike goes, Dungeons of Dredmor is a fun, zany romp, not nearly as hard as the text-based games that the formula came from. A few tips:

* Spellcasters seem to have the short end of the wand. Your odds of survival are much better if you focus on melee combat with no more than one spell school (just so you have a use for mana).

* Getting powerful gear early makes surivial much easier, and trade skills are the portal in which to do so. There’s also a number of ways to get your hands on enchanted gear, and it’s not a bad idea to chase them all down: even if you can’t use the gear, it should sell for a pretty piece of change.

* Dredmor himself is very tough to the point that taking him on in a toe-to-toe fight probably won’t work. I’ve had the most luck lighting him up with a powerful damage-over-time effect (e.g. the nuclear bolts) and then going invisibleor otherwise avoiding him until either the DOT has worn out or he’s dead.

I eventually bored of the game, feeling I saw all it had to show me, but it sounds like this latest expansion may have solved that.

2. The Godzilla Hunter says:

Personally: Dungeons of Dredmor: Mordread

3. Shadram says:

I don’t think my humble PC contains either pewter or tin. :( At least it saves me from wasting a few (hundred) more hours on this.

Oh, and I name my expansion ‘Piggles’

• Tacroy says:

Actually, computers contain quite a lot of tin; it’s one of the ingredients in solder, for instance, and I’m sure it shows up in other components. Funnily enough, lead-free soldiers are also composed of the same things as pewter – pewter is copper, tin and sometimes lead, lead-free solders are usually made out of copper, tin and silver.

4. Miltrivd says:

Dungeons of Dredmor: Why did you wait until now to buy me?

5. Salt says:

SavyGamer’s eternal whispering tells me that the game is on sale for £1.05 on Steam right now, or 60p more to get that Diggle Gods expansion too.

Which is pretty cheap.

6. michailnenkov says:

the steve jobs bit was cheap.

• Mattressi says:

I know; I wish they’d put more money into creating a workaround for those of us who have Macs haunted by Steve Jobs. Unfortunately we seem to be a neglected subset of Mac users.

• Ninja Foodstuff says:

…more …blood

Sent from my iPad

7. rivalin says:

I might name it “why do the RPS writers feel the need to shove their pathetic student level lib dem politics down the throats of people who’d like to just read about computer games”

And for those members of the hivemind who instantly spring to their defence with the old “it’s their website so they can do what they want”, well, so can Sean Penn, Matt Damon et al, but people still think they’re pricks for using a privileged platform they have for one thing (acting) to spout off opinions on something they have no clue about (politics). RPS are the self-entitled hollywood liberals of the computer gaming world.

Maybe Rossignol can do a take back Las Malvinas speech at rezzed, or Hugo Chavez could be invited to do the keynote on American imperialism in first person shooters?

• Alec Meer says:

Actually, I’m going to call mine ‘Dungeons of Dredmor: Rivalin Needs A Nice Sit Down And A Cup Of Tea.’

• Unaco says:

Dungeons of Dredmor: I just spoke to George, and he’s cancelling his RPS Subscription… and those Tax Breaks for video game developers? They’re gone as well.

• Premium User Badge Harlander says:

Ah, yes, I heard he was working on spite. Good to see he’s making progress. I’m sure the rest of the panoply of human emotion will be soon to follow!

• Alec Meer says:

Also, I giggle at the outright, mindless, Glenn Beck plonkerness of deciding that someone not liking the current government must directly equate to being both a liberal democrat and a communist.

• misterT0AST says:

And don’t forget:

Socialism and Nazism are also the same thing.
          Therefore you are democrats liberals fascists nazists communists treehuggers socialists.
          Shame on you.

• Phantoon says:

As someone who identifies with the concepts behind communism, I’m offended I’m being compared to you tree-huggers.

• misterT0AST says:

You just say that because you want Obama to kill all the Jews for the proletariat, while the spirit of John Locke laughs maniacally at his back, you vegetarian scum!

• Phantoon says:

I eat meat, sir, and do not care about the jews or any other religious peoples.

• sneetch says:

You eat meat, huh? Sounds like vegetarian speak to me!

• pipman3000 says:

it’s a secret communist code

I = Joseph Stalin
            Eat = Loves
            Meat = RPS

Phantoon translated into Secret Reptoid Code means “Soldier of the Illuminati”.

“do not care about the jews or any other religious peoples.” = “I am working with the greys and Tibetians to overthrow the the west and allow the UN to claim power and form the NWO”

And = Joseph Stalin and I

• Unaco says:

Aren’t the Lib Dems part of the current Governmentt? Or is that only in some Sci-Fi-they-have-been-taken-over-by -a-hivemind-and-are-now-soulless-thralls sort of way?

• NathanH says:

The only thing Lib Dem supporters hate more than a conservative minister is a Lib Dem minister, right now.

• sneetch says:

No Alec, because you also have student level lib dem politics! Take THAT!

Anyone else want some of rivalin’s super politics? They’re concentrated!? No? I thought not.

Now back off, commie-nazis, I’m getting outta here and I don’t want to get your student level lib dem politics all over myself. Anyone makes a move and I kill this tree!

• Jams O'Donnell says:

But George Osborne *is* a pasty-faced spawn of an earwig with a weeping sore where his soul should be. And it wasn’t a very nice earwig, either.

• misterT0AST says:

It’s not “shoven down your throat” if you come here yourself, open the article, and read it.
      This is not an objective website. This kind of website can and will exist.
      John Walker’s constant bitching about pretty much everything he sees does get a bit annoying even to me after a while, I suggest you don’t read that kind of article. That’s a good way not to get bothered.

• aldo_14 says:

Hi David.

• kikito says:

Rivalin’s comment pretty much ensures that RPS editors *will* include more political opinions in the future – if anything, just to annoy him.

Well done, sir.

• The Dark One says:

The only person who can save us now is Judge Coxcombe.

• NathanH says:

I don’t really think anyone likes George Osborne though. I think his main role is so you say “standing next to this guy, Dave looks pretty normal.”

• MuscleHorse says:

To be fair, George Osbourne was actually born via Satan’s anus. I don’t think Jim has said anything factually incorrect here.

• Josh04 says:

Matt Damon had goddamn Howard Zinn for a babysitter, and later narrated the audiobook of A People’s History of the United States. Matt Damon is remarkably well informed about politics.

• Premium User Badge oceanclub says:

I am interested in your ideas about Obama being a Kenyan Muslim and wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

P

• Miltrivd says:

It’s “USA Imperialism”, don’t you dare put us all in the same garbage bag.

• Jim Rossignol says:

I’m pretty sure the Lib Dems are the party we despise most fiercely.

• MistyMike says:

I’ve nothing against mixing in political opinions into commentary on games… I’m just not sure if using blatant insults against some random politician is the classiest way to do it.

• Alec Meer says:

He’s not some random politician, he’s a duplicitous egomaniac with far too much power and dangerous contempt for anyone who isn’t upper class, and who is in charge of a frightening amount of the UK’s finances and attempted economic recovery despite having no meaningful background in economics but legions of vested interests in big business.

Also, his parents were earwigs.

• MistyMike says:

He was in fact the guy who was against tax breaks for UK game dev studios, wasn’t he? Talk about vested interests.

• Toberoth says:

Are you, in fact, mental?

• MadTinkerer says:

Part of the problem is that what the British consider “liberal” and “conservative” is almost perpendicular to what Americans consider “liberal” and “conservative” at least half of the time. It’s not that it’s completely different, but there’s a lot that just doesn’t line up, with fundamentals but especially with party politics.

I found it especially baffling how British “conservatives” seemed to be so anti-Bush seemingly just because Blair was in charge, when I’m pretty sure they’d dislike Bush’s opponents’ policies even more than Bush’s policies if they’d care to pay attention to that kind of thing; instead of the particular circumstance of who happens to be in charge in which country. (Or I might be wrong about that, since I had moved to New Jersey at that point, but that was the impression I got.) It seemed like some kind of Bizarro World type thinking, but I guess it kind of made sense from “the friend of my rival is my rival” sort of view.

So yeah, your typical stinking liberal socialist commie British journalists aren’t quite the same as typical stinking liberal socialist commie American journalists. You need to take cultural differences into account before making judgements like that, Rivalin. ;)

• Was Neurotic says:

Back in 1991 I was an exchange student in Florida, and one of the first ‘comedy’ language mix-ups I learned between British and American English was that ‘a conservative amount of salt’ when applied to a meal meant ‘not much’ for us Brits and ‘quite a lot’ for the Americans. So, on a fundamental level, our concepts of the word are totally opposite too.

• deadly.by.design says:

I ignore it as readily as I do the Christian-bashing, and I’m both a Christian and what most people would consider politically conservative. (by American definitions anyway) Some of the writers have no problem subtly insulting or outright bashing certain ideologies, but my reply isn’t going to change what some game blogger thinks.

In other news, I need to stay far, FAR away from Dredmor. This expansion news is terrific, but that game has a way of eating up ALL of my gaming time when I make a new character. Its diabolical dungeoneering and sense of humor are infectious.

• Dances to Podcasts says:

I suspect this might be a cultural issue. Bashing politicians is a time-honoured British tradition. For example, I was just watching this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1k8IeeVnYk&feature=relmfu

8. kikito says:

Heretics! The new expansion has to be called SKOL! obviously.

9. Drake Sigar says:

*Waits for Athena’s Squee*

10. Was Neurotic says:

£1.99 later, I am now fully Diggle-Goded and packing my bags for another long, and long-delayed return to DoD. *sigh* Bye bye IRL.

11. Namey says:

Dungeons of Dredmor: I Wish I Could Enjoy This But Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup Has Ruined Other Roguelikes For Me

• B1A4 says:

Poor thing! I can play ADOM or Infra Arcana or Stone Soup or DoomRL or Brogue or Dredmor just fine. They are so different that… they are different!

• arccos says:

One thing I love about Stone Soup is that it is designed to actively discourage you from doing boring and nearly risk-free activities with features like autoexplore, starvation, and rest until healed. DoD doesn’t, unfortunately, and it kind of drives me nuts because it is so close to being an excellent RL.

Optimal play in DoD results in so much button pressing for either exploring or waiting for skills to cool down with so little going on.

12. Mad Twit says:

For those who enjoy the roguelike aspect of DoD I’d really recomend that they check out Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup.
    It is a free, comunity developed game which I have easily sunk 500+ hours play time into and not yet won, so a tad bit challenging, but really really enjoyable all the same.
    What makes it different from most of the the more traditional roguelikes is it has a tileset making it much easier to get into and can be played by mouse in the downloadable version.
    It also has a version playable online through your browser which allows for you to view and chat to people as they play as well.

It’s really good fun, you check out some of the games currently in progress if you want: https://tiles.crawl.develz.org/#lobby

Just posting this because after playing Stone Soup, I found DoD didn’t really compare for me.

• Miltrivd says:

Thanks, checking… And I hate you, ‘cuz if it’s as I’m expecting is gonna suck me in =(

I hope you’re feeling bad now.

• pakoito says:

The middle ground between DoD and DCSS is Tales of Maj’Eral. It is more forgiving, probably funnier and more varied, with a friendlier interface te4.org

• Mad Twit says:

Thanks for that, I hadn’t heard of this game before, i’ll try it out.

• eddparsons says:

Seconded – TOME is very very good.

• Premium User Badge Harlander says:

Have you tried ToMENET?

• Aedrill says:

You people should just shut up. I haven’t clicked any link yet but I know what will happen – I’ll try one, get sucked in, then I’ll try another, get sucked in, then another… Enough!

13. sub-program 32 says:

I just bought the game and all expansions, due to a combination of even less money than usual required thanks to Steam sales, and that The Binding of Isaac is one of my favourate games, and this one could potentially be another. Also, “Clockwork Knight” seems like an irresisable thing to pass up.

14. drewski says:

Well, I guess I know what I’m playing tonight then.

15. MistyMike says:

Gotta say that despite I like roguelikes, Dredmore just didn’t impress me that much. I think the game is too slow paced. It takes forever to explore those sprawling floors and the levelups kick in very rarely. A roguelike has to surprise you at every corner and force you to adapt to the circumstances, otherwise it just becomes a grind, as is sadly the case with DoD. By the time I arrived at level 7 or 8 I was so bored I thought my brain was going to melt, so I just quit the game. Still it’s a nice game for the 3 euros.

• Premium User Badge Dare_Wreck says:

I completely agree. While I enjoy the Binding of Isaac and DoomRL (granted, neither of which are true hardcore rogueslikes), the slow mechanics of Dredmor never pulled me in past the brief time I spent with it during one of Valve’s achievement contest events last year. I probably actually *could* enjoy it if I had tons of free time to sit down with it, but as it is, I have too many other unplayed games I’d rather get to first.

• squareking says:

The aptly named No Time To Grind mode might help out a little.

• kikito says:

At the beginning of each game (where you can choose the difficulty level and / or permadeath), there is an option called “no time to grind” that makes levels smaller, and increases the xp granted per kill, which seems to address your concerns very closely.

And if you feel it is still too low-paced; just go down. Enemies will get tougher, but you will level up faster. You don’t need to explore the levels completely in order to get to the next ones.

• Wedge says:

Or the bit VERY many people miss, is the fact you can up the double (and redouble) the animation speed by hitting the “=” key, which suddenly makes it play a lot quicker. It’s no auto-explore key like in Stone Soup, but it does tune up the exploration bits quite considerably.

16. Premium User Badge Worldbeing says:

I do hope we will see this new tag used more often.

17. Eskatos says:

I was really liking this game, though my insistance on playing on Hard Permadeath mode has made it quite difficult. Then something fucked up my save file the first time I got to level 6 and now my character randomly teleports around multiple times before returning to the starting space every time I try to move or do anything. This has caused me to give up on the game.

• drewski says:

When it was first released, you got a Steam achievement for having a game breaking crash. This is a game where the quirks of the engine are just as much of a threat to player survival in permadeath mode as the critters are.

I can see why that isn’t for everyone, mind. Still, 3 quid.

18. Peter Radiator Full Pig says:

From the patch notes:
    TRAPS: Caltrops added to the game. Why? Because your hatred tastes like the finest chocolate, that’s why.

19. Premium User Badge lowprices says:

Dungeons of Dredmore: Moreface.

20. BaronVonsnakPak says:

Dungeons of Dredmor: Lesjoy of Labrynths

21. FunkyBadger3 says:

Don’t be so horrible to Gideon. Or he’ll take back that tax-break for Gregg’s pasties, you horrible little prole.