Lights, Camera, Memes: Source Filmmaker Open To All

By Nathan Grayson on July 11th, 2012 at 9:00 am.

I give it a day before someone's made a video where he's playing a hat and wearing that guitar.

I, like many of you, have dreamed of creating the next great cinematic masterpiece since I first laid eyes on Kindergarten Cop. Unfortunately, I just never had the tools, so my gift to the world remained wrapped and hidden away. And then I got horribly distracted by Meet The Heavy meme videos created in Source Filmmaker, and that’s a hole I don’t see me digging myself out of any time soon. So my magnum opus has probably been shot by a regular magnum. There is a small spot of good news here, though: Source Filmmaker’s now available to everyone and, more importantly, Valve’s updated it with Meet The Engineer. So hooray, more memes that make me giggle uncontrollably for some reason.

For the less cinematically inclined, you still get a Source-Filmmaker-specific Steam Community page, so you can go laugh at silly videos in an organized fashion. Something to note, however: Filmmaker is still technically in beta, so there might be a hiccup or two. Also, it comes in at a hefty more-than-10GB download, and it’s definitely no toy. Valve’s posted a handy set of tutorials, though, so you won’t be taking meticulously angled and choreographed shots in the dark.

And now, because I can, here are a bunch of silly videos so I can justify the somewhat upsetting amount of time I spent watching them.

__________________

« | »

, , , , .

1. Drake Sigar says:

I have to watch The Incredibles right now!

2. President Weasel says:

Who is your daddy, and what does he do?

3. Didero says:

The download is only 5.5 GB for me. Which is still weird, because the installer popup claimed it only had to download 1 GB.
    Maybe it depends on what other Source games you already have installed?

• Vandelay says:

Mine told me it would be 10 GB, but is only 5.5 ish. I reckon it depends on what Source engine games you have installed, as they share assets.

4. State says:

That last video is fantastic!

5. Kadayi says:

Pretty damn impressive. Hats off to Valve for just giving it away for free tbh.

6. kael13 says:

Moar! Time to go hunting on Youtube for more of these gems.

7. Real Horrorshow says:

It took me about 6 seconds after loading it to realize that it’s way too complicated for me.

8. MeestaNob says:

Those were all incredible. The worst part is, I downloaded the Filmmaker planning on making the Best Video Ever and these have destroyed everything I could even imagine doing.

Me –> Drawing board.

9. Didero says:

There’s some good tutorial videos in this blog post.

Edit: This was supposed to be a reply to ‘Real Horrorshow’

10. Roshin says:

I’m patiently waiting for the haters to tell me why this is a terrible blow to gaming in general.

• MistyMike says:

Here you go:
      So Valve employees are wheeling their desks around and making bullshit projects such as this one while H-L ep. 3 DOES NOT get made. They are sitting one such huge piles of cash that Steam brings them that they can’t be bothered to actually take a risk to make a game. All the creative people who want to make games are leaving the company to start their own, like that Quantum Conundrum gal.

• Apples says:

I assume you were joking, but it is weird when people complain about Valve ‘wasting time’ not making games, since Portal 2 only came out last year. How fast do you want them to go!?

• Dominic White says:

Valve have put out a game every year for the past six years or so.

Clearly, they’re slacking.

• MistyMike says:

A game but not ‘the game’. Portal and Left 4 Dead are very cute, sure. But it’s Half-Life that made history.

• Nevard says:

If you’re claiming that Portal didn’t “make history” then uh…
            Well, you’re pretty obviously wrong.

• MistyMike says:

@Nevard
            Portal has its place, sure, but not as eminent as HL. Nowhere near.

• Ninja Dodo says:

They’ve obviously been building this since forever (all recent cinematics were made with it) and something like this enormously speeds up the creation process leaving *more* time, not less, for making games.

Also worth noting: though I don’t know that this has been explicitly mentioned anywhere, this also makes it much easier to quickly create interactive scripted sequences for say, Half Life… which, you know, they tend to have a few of.

• alice says:

Serve me! Make what I want!

11. buzzmong says:

Oh wow, that “Just one more hat” video was unexpectedly good.

12. Lemming says:

All of those are great, but the last one is a great showcase for what TF2 actually is to someone who doesn’t know what the game is about.

13. thedonkeyvote says:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1YrrAroK6bI The best video, just needs to be finished.

14. thegooseking says:

First the Portal 2 puzzle creator and now this. I think the message they’re sending is, “Make your own damn sandwich sandvich HL3!”

15. Wololo says:

Is this like, TF2 only or can you do stuff with say, Gmod aswell?

• The Magic says:

it works with any source game right up to Dota2, including gmod with any custom model you want, (though since it’s still in beta i believe, there are issues)

16. Aardvarkk says:

Some good videos collected at ign.com here, the Pulp Fiction one is one of my favorites..

17. Uninteresting Curse File Implement says:

I think I’ll wait for the Internet to start producing some bizarre shit with this.

Comment on this story