Wow: New Vegas Mod Restores Heaps Of Cut Content

By Nathan Grayson on August 18th, 2012 at 3:00 pm.

Fallout: New Vegas was a glitch-ridden, unwieldy beast of a game, but it’s a testament to the wonderful (and very Black-Isle) world Obsidian crafted that – in spite of rampant instability and a fiddly engine – it still stands as one of my absolute favorite games. And in spite of the couple-hundred-some-odd hours I’ve put into it, I want more. Semi-recently, I had quite a joyous time with the harder-core-than-thou JSawyer mod, but now I’m getting ready to dig into an official-unofficial project that positively dwarfs it. In short, a modder by the name of “Moburma” went sifting through New Vegas’ code and excavated scrapped bits and bobs of all shapes and sizes. The end result? A restoration project that borders on insane.

Admittedly, no one individual piece of the cut content is game-changing or anything like that. But, taken together, these bits and pieces stand to transform New Vegas into a far more impressive locale. For instance, one mod restores the Vegas Strip to its original vision – as opposed  to the cramped, underpopulated consolation prize we got in the original game.

“The Strip Open is an attempt to restore the Vegas Strip worldspace in Fallout: New Vegas to what was the developer’s original intent; namely a large, visually spectacular open area. The Strip as found in the retail game is not the original plan for the area, and the checkpoint gates that make the area so clumsy to navigate are sadly a technical compromise – to quote Obsidian lead designer J.E Sawyer: ‘Memory problems caused crashing in both The Strip and Freeside, so they had to be split up.'”

Other portions of the project, meanwhile, bring back New Vegas’ original, in-engine opening, add multiple choices and stages to some really interesting quests, and make many scenes and scenarios more consequential. For example, here’s a really cool bit involving the main quest affecting the game world permanently.

“Post attack events. If ‘We Are Legion’ is successfully completed, The Legion storm the camp and kill anyone left, and dump the bodies in a mass grave in the graveyard. After two days it will then be infested by Cazadores. Nelson will now actually be occupied by NCR troops if they take the location back.”

You can download everything Moburma’s restored so far here, or – if you don’t actually play games, and instead prefer to torture yourself with the amazing time you could be having – there’s a giant forum post to sink your brain into here. Now then, time to leap in and hope Obsidian’s original vision didn’t include my nightmare: a Cazador/Deathclaw hybrid, henceforth known as a Deathdor. And also, it’d make that sound giant ants do when it moves, because ewwwwwww.

, , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. SkittleDiddler says:

This is frickin’ AWESOME.

2. Zepp says:

It’s not Deathdor… It’s mighty Cazaclaw.

• Ovno says:

All depends if they used the earrings or did the fusion dance….

3. abandonhope says:

Don’t mind if I do.

4. grundus says:

I’ve been looking for a reason to get back into New Vegas again and I don’t pay much attention to mods unless they’re for sim racing (just laziness on my part), so thank you kindly for this.

5. povu says:

I love JSawyer’s mod, makes the game much more challenging on normal difficulty.

It should be compatible with this too, since JSawyer’s mod mostly covers game balance.

• choconutjoe says:

I’m doing a playthrough with JSawyer’s mod atm and I’m absolutely loving it! I would definitely recommend it to any New Vegas fans.

• coldvvvave says:

Does it really require all of the DLC? I never bothered to buy Couriers Stash and Gun Runners Arsenal.

• malkav11 says:

Yes. I think it’s because it modifies some of the things that those DLC do and there isn’t a separate .esp for people without those two. Which there probably should be given that they’re not really the same value proposition as the other DLC, but oh well.

• kavz1987 says:

So, for someone who’s never played Fallout: NV, anyone want to weigh in on must-have mods? The Strip Open and Freeside Open mods seem like clear choices, but I’m up for suggestions.

• iPhap says:

The must have mod is definitely Project Nevada, it enhances just about every part of the gameplay and adds features like a grenade hotkey, sprint function, bullet time and other neat stuff. It also makes the game a lot more difficult by doing what the Sawyer mod does in terms of PC stat changes. Other mods I’d recommend are Nevada skies, makes the game a whole bunch more beautiful, EVE (Enhanced Visual Effects) and for seasoned player I’d add A world of Pain, which adds a bunch of new locations to the wasteland spread all over the place, as well as a slew of more difficult enemy varieties.

• povu says:

Yeah it places the courier stash items (pre-order items) into the game world, rather than giving them to you at the start.

Wish he’d done the same with the quest DLC, introducing them naturally rather than throwing them in your face right away. But theres a mod called ‘Delay DLC’ which does that perfectly.

• darkwonders says:

If you’re wanting to make sure that your mods are compatible, you could use BOSS http://code.google.com/p/better-oblivion-sorting-software/

It helps sort compatible mods and tells you what specific ones you need. Works for Skyrim, Oblivion, and FO3 as well.

emotionengine says:

“If you don’t actually play games, and instead prefer to torture yourself with the amazing time you could be having…”

But… that’s why I read RPS!

7. gunny1993 says:

Obsidian make some truley great games….. BUT WHY THE HELL CAN’T THEY FINISH THEM

• SkittleDiddler says:

Because they’re not allowed to by the people who hire them to make the games in the first place, maybe?

• FakeAssName says:

Project management and the fact that they keep doing contract work on what is actually someone else’s project.

When publishers makes their own games in house there is virtually no time limit to get it “done” (or at least done enough … ), but when a project is farmed out to a third party developer (like Obsidian) there are explicit deadlines on when it has to be done … and since time is so short they have to pretty much design the game as the develop it.

• Juan Carlo says:

I love FO:NV so I welcome more content, but it also isn’t “unfinished” by any measure. It’s not KOTOR2 or anything. The game is massive and has a bunch of well resolved endings. After my first playthrough I was actually kind of amazed at how big it was and how much there was to do (in terms of quests and branching storylines). It’s much bigger in scope than FO3.

Reading through the changes it seems like most of them were either to solve problems or were changes made for the better. Other than the open casino strip map and all its missing NPCs (which would have been cool), it seems like most of the stuff is just extra dialogue and a few extra quests. In fact, some of the cut stuff (a human Mr House?) we are probably better off without.

• subedii says:

Basically this.

I saw this posted at Kotaku, and it seemed relevant:

UPDATE – To be clear, I’m not implying these cuts were anywhere near as drastic as those in KOTOR II, nor that this is somehow the definitive edition of the game. As the modder explains, much was cut for good reason. What’s “much the same” is the fact the cut content is now playable.

And from the original author of the mod:

Obsidian had a very short period of time to make this game, and it’s clear they budgeted their time very precisely. They delivered twice the content of Fallout 3 in HALF the time, and frankly made a much more interesting game to boot. It’s clear that F:NV was tightly controlled during its development, and much of the stuff mentioned below was removed because it was irrelevant or just plain not very good. This isn’t some failure on their part; in fact it’s proof of their professionalism in that they knew when to cut their loses working to a tight deadline.

I’d hate to think that as a result of my curiousity and decision to share my findings that I’ve somehow indirectly besmirched their professional name, as I have a huge amount of respect for their games and think they’re by far the most interesting RPG developer in the industry. I wouldn’t have bothered to write up this stuff if that wasn’t the case.

• Jason Moyer says:

Every single Obsidian game I own, which is all of them, seems finished. Unless I’m missing something.

• Vander says:

Kotor 2. The game really feel like the end is missing.

• malkav11 says:

That’s because it is. That one isn’t Obsidian’s fault, though. LucasArts actually released it ahead of schedule despite them not being done.

• Jason Moyer says:

While it’s true there was content cut at the end, I never really felt like anything was missing when I played it. You have your standard Bioware-esque linear slog through Malachor and the temple, you fight a couple bosses, you receive some information about your future and the future of the crew, there’s a cutscene, the game ends. The rest of the game was so much better than the first KotOR I guess I didn’t spend a lot of time thinking about what it was missing.

• bill says:

Seriously? the ending of that game was horrendous, had huge continuity problems, and obviously skipped huge sections. It soured me on the entire game, tbh.

Continuity says:

Every ounce of the game (as released) was pure shit by comparison to the original.

• fish99 says:

F:NV is hardly unfinished, there’s a ton of game there and it’s mostly great IMO.

• Zenicetus says:

I finished the main plot in NV and all the DLC’s without a single mod, and it sure felt “finished” to me. The game engine is a little creaky, but overall it felt a lot more polished in terms of the writing and actual gameplay than Fallout 3, Dragon Age 2, or even the Mass Effect series.

I think I’m probably ready for a second play-through now, after an aborted attempt to get back into Skyrim (too bland, by comparison). And I’ll load up the mods this time… probably Project Nevada and Nevada Skies to start. Probably not this new one that restores cut content, since it doesn’t seem stable yet. But I did enjoy the game as a straight vanilla experience. I think the developers did a great job with the timeframe and resources they had to work with.

• gunny1993 says:

See they make some of my Favorite games:

KOTOR 2: So many improvements over 1, but there were huge swathes of the game just missing.

Alpha Protocol: Such a good idea and i had a hell of fun playing it, but it was terribly buggy and unrefined

F:NV: insanely buggy on release (not sure if 3 was cos i got that after release) and i’m sure there’s a bunch of incomplete quests in there.

What i want is them to have free reign and a unlimited budget to make a game cos i have a feeling it would be one of the best I’ve ever seen …. what i’m hoping for is the TBD on The Wheel of Time game on their wiki page to become a reality.

8. Stepout says:

I love modders. I wonder if they know they’re the coolest?

9. Heresiarch says:

Looks like it’s time to jump back into the post-apocalyptic wasteland, my only hope is that I can finish it before Guild Wars 2 comes out and I forget about every other game in existence.

10. Vinraith says:

Well the timing is lousy, since I’m in the middle of the game, but this is cool. If it’s compatible with Project Nevada I might give it a spin when and if I ever replay the game.

11. sabasNL says:

Thanks Nathan, got myself a good reason to say goodbye to the world and lock myself up in the Vault again!

felisc says:

always nice to see some love for new vegas on rps !

• Juan Carlo says:

Yeah. I think they are still doing penance for their awful WIT.

• CrookedLittleVein says:

I remember that well. Truly one of the (very few) irredeemably awful articles I’ve read on here over the years.

ffordesoon says:

What was so awful about it? Dude didn’t like the game. I love the game, but I didn’t get what bugged everybody about the review. Quinns’ complaints are factual, as far as they go. I get the anger, I suppose; the presumption that Obsidian “didn’t give a fuck” was an ill-advised way to begin the article, but his complaints were all understandable. I mean, much of the voice acting… wasn’t great, KY-ZAR sounds ricockulolusly dumb when said with an American accent (and yes, it’s the correct pronunciation, and no, I don’t care), there were a whole hell of a lot of bugs, the world felt underpopulated, Fallout 3’s world was more varied (not as consistently excellent, but more varied)… Nothing in the article struck me as inaccurate upon playing the game. Some of his complaints were pluses in my book, and some of the things that bothered him didn’t bother me at all. But why exactly he wasn’t allowed to be bothered by them, I don’t understand. A review of a sandbox game is one person’s subjective opinion of an experience that other people might or might not have with the game. How do any of you know what the hell his experience with the thing was?

I get the anger – it felt unusually vitriolic for RPS. But I got what Quinns was saying, and I don’t think he had or has anything to apologize for. RPS didn’t and doesn’t either. Games, and big games like New Vegas in particular, are always going to get at least a few bad reviews, because the designers can’t account for every player’s taste or experience with the game. Quinns had a bad experience with it, and tons of other people didn’t. Why can’t we call that a win for Obsidian and move on?

• Zenicetus says:

Just speaking for myself here, but I thought that infamous review of NV by Quinns sounded like he was just predisposed to not liking the game, and hadn’t played nearly enough of it to come up with a judgement that the developers had “phoned it in.” Does anyone else who finished the main plot and a majority of side quests, actually think this game was a lazy, rushed project?

Some of it was spot-on, like the complaint that the engine couldn’t support enough NPC’s to make casinos and such look believable. But there were also hints of unfamiliarity with the setting… like complaining a desert environment seemed too empty. Well, duh. Nevada looks like that.

ffordesoon says:

@Zenicetus:

Does anyone who played the things you listed think it was a lazy, rushed project? Probably. We don’t, but I’m sure there are plenty of people who do.

Unfamiliarity with the setting and boredom owing to the setting aren’t the same thing, and you shouldn’t have to be familiar with [i]any[/i] setting to enjoy a fictional rendering of it. Much of Fallout 3 is functionally a desert, but – in Quinns’ estimation – the Capital Wasteland felt varied and alive, and the Mojave Wasteland felt samey and dull. I don’t agree (I think of it as being more thematically consistent), but I see where he’s coming from.

There was nothing as bizarre and surprising as Little Lamplight or the place with all the trees in New Vegas; it’s much subtler than that, and I can easily see someone who thirsts for Fallout 3’s variety (or, if you hate Fallout 3, its lack of coherence) feeling let down. If I’m honest, even I was a little let down at first. The consistency of the Fallout setting is one of the things a lot of people love about the old games, but a lot of people love the level of variety in Fallout 3 just as much, and for the people who wanted more Fallout 3 instead of a return to the series’ roots, it could have been disappointing. Quinns sounded like one of those people to me.

For the record, I’m right in the middle: I love the thematic consistency and “tightness” of the old Fallouts, but I also love the variety of experiences in F3. So part of me was let down and part of me was glad Obsidian built a less scattershot game.

• Juan Carlo says:

I don’t mind if he disliked the game, but he had a bunch of factual errors which suggested to me he either rushed through or wasn’t paying attention–like, for example, stuff he complained were “bugs” or “unfinished features” but which actually were working as intended (he just missed out on the quests or areas that explained them–almost every alleged “bug” or “unfinished” aspect he mentions is just because he didn’t stumble on the quest which explained it or wasn’t paying attention).

Plus, while it’s an entirely subjective opinion, I don’t see how anyone can say that the writing in Fallout 3 is better than the writing in Fallout: NV. NV has depth, nuance, humor, factions (which go a very long way in making the world seem alive and gives your actions weight), and some of the most interesting NPC companions of any RPG I’ve ever played (it also has the most realistic and well realized GLBT characters of any RPG ever, I think, which is kind of an achievement in itself). Yet, the WIT didn’t mention companions at all, which is kind of surprising given what a huge part of the game they are.

All that said, I can maybe see how he might have gotten the impression he did if he rushed through the game and missed out on half the content. He didn’t really even mention the whole multi-faction storylines that kick in once you get to New Vegas and which comprise the most interesting part of the game–which makes me suspect that he played up until the strip (avoiding all the interesting side quests during that time) then quit. But if that’s the case he probably shouldn’t have written the review anyway.

• bill says:

@ffordesoon:
            well put. You don’t have to agree with him, but he explained clearly what he liked and didn’t like, and that’s all that can be expected.
            I understand some people getting so close to something that anything negative said about it feels like a personal attack, but the response to that article was (and continues to be) ridiculous.

• InternetBatman says:

The anger for that review was that it felt misleading, cheap, and biased. Whether or not he liked the game, RPS deserved a better review from him, let alone the game itself.

At points it felt blatantly misleading. Probably the worst I remember was the screenshot he used which showed “nothing.” If I recall it was taken outside of helios 1 facing to the northwest. So that direction goes straight from a giant space laser, to a hidden canyon filled with tough scorpions, some dead smugglers, and a special plasma gun, to the valley where there’s a hidden sect of the brotherhood of steel. I think there’s also some neat caves around there too.

• CrookedLittleVein says:

@ffordesoon

I understand where you’re coming from.

However I think it’s a bit rich to write “It is the sound of Obsidian phoning this game in. I’m talking long distance, reversed charges, not-giving-a-fuck.” when the studio is usually known for having their heart in the right place and is made up of people who are clearly passionate about what they do. One of Obsidian’s weaknesses is that they often OVERREACH, sometimes to the detriment of their games, but they’ve produced a few quirky gems that I think gaming (and the RPG genre specifically) would be much poorer without. I find it hard to believe that Obsidian (particularly Chris Avellone, who worked on Fallout 2 and J.E Sawyer, who was working on Van Buren before it was shut down) undertook the job “not giving a fuck”. Every issue Quintin picks up on is also noticeably worse in F3 (dialogue, map/location design, npc/character depth, underpopulation, and yes, bugs). The whole review seems mean-spirited, confused and not terribly well-grounded, which surprised me given the rest of Quintin’s output.

Also, I’m very surprised you found Fallout 3 more varied. NV seemed far more varied with regards to coherent factions, background/lore, geography, enemies (far stronger and even some throwbacks like the nightkin), npcs (super mutants who are actually super mutants rather than guffawing orcs, companions with some actual depth) , etc. The expansions were more varied for Fallout 3, in a sense, but again, lack a coherent narrative and fully formed settings, reducing each one to a theme park. Dead Money, Old World Blues, Honest Hearts and Lonesome Hearts, all play key roles in your character’s narrative, as well as continuing an overarching theme/s.

I’ve replayed Fallout 3 recently, all I can really remember is

1) Shooting a ton of bandits, super mutant and enclave troops.
          2) Trudging through interminable metro stations and tunnels.
          3) Conversations with all the depth of a shallow puddle.

Finally, KY-ZAR sounded perfectly normal to me. So there. :P

• LionsPhil says:

The whole See-ser/Kai-zar thing is a bit of a red herring, given that every word coming out of the Legion is painful to listen to thanks to godawful writing and worse voice acting.

Were they not part of the main plotline, I’d be hunting for a mod to just cut them out of the game entirely.

13. fiddlesticks says:

I’ve been using most of moburma’s mods in my last couple of playthtroughs. It’s nice to see them get a bit more exposure, they’re very good.

Which reminds me, will we ever get another mod news feature?

14. Raziel_Alex says:

Somehow, this game never gets old.

15. Crittias says:

16. Imbecile says:

I do love Vegas. Probably one of my favourite RPGs ever. Old World Blues was excellent, and I guess this may lure me back again.

• psyk says:

“Old world blues” crashes half way through the unskippable cutscene every time :(

• Imbecile says:

That is really unfortunate. I guess I got lucky with both New Vegas and the DLC – very little bugginess (apart from sometimes being caught mid jump on a rock and unable to move, load, or fast travel).

The rest of the DLC was a bit iffy, but old world blues was great.

17. MuscleHorse says:

Speaking as someone who still plays NV quite regularly and experiments with a lot of mods out there, I’d recommend caution with these. While what he’s doing is commendable, these mods are buggier than most, breaking a *lot* of side quests around them. Freeside Open is an absolute massive strain on resources, for example, and the Van Graff Scorned mod causes the quest to not start at all.
    I’m not saying don’t try these, I’m just saying don’t expect to have a serious playthrough with them.

18. buzzmong says:

Good stuff, but I think I’ll wait for a complete version.

19. Fincher says:

If Skyrim is better than Morrowind (thanks for finally retracting that statement, RPS) and New Vegas is better than Skyrim, is New Vegas better than Morrowind?

• Imbecile says:

For me, they are on a par. The quests and characters are much better in New Vegas, but the world itself is less interesting. Theres fast travel, which is both a positive and a negative. Some decent crafting, non-static characters and good non combat skills. Levelling becomes pointless after a while though, and you can pretty much max out your stats in the later game

Morrowind still has some indefinable magic for me, but there could be some element of rose tinted specs to that. Hard to say

• mr.black says:

Interesting question. I’d say NV is better, but I’m looking at Morrow with such a blurry nostalgia glasses that I’d add ‘but just by a fraction!’
      Overall Fallout has much better story – Elder Sroll’s main quests are.. lacking.. (btw, we’re not seriously counting Fallout 3 as cannon, right?), also F NV redeemed a lot of things F3 got wrong including Fallout’s trademark dark humor and quirkyness.
      Interestingly, sense of amazement and delight of exploring are somewhat the same in both games, I’d wager..

• CrookedLittleVein says:

To this day I am unable to fully put into words the crushing disappointment I felt going from Morrowind’s wonderfully alien vistas to Oblivion’s painfully generic high fantasy setting. Even Skyrim (though miles ahead of Oblivion) doesn’t manage to conjure the same magic for me.

As for comparing the two, it’s apples and oranges for me. NV is about a new world starting to take shape and grand struggles, Morrowind is about the destruction of the old order and ancient political intrigues.

I hope that made sense.

• StingingVelvet says:

Yeah, I’m generally someone who defends Oblivion as a good time despite its faults. That bland generic fantasy setting was a killer though, and boggles the mind after Morrowind’s amazing world set the RPG world on fire.

• Juan Carlo says:

All the Morrowind love is totally informed by nostalgia. Its best feature is definitely the originality of the world, its culture, and its backstory, but the world feels dead to me and combat is awful which makes it not all that fun to play. I loved it when it came out, but revisiting it recently was disappointing. I actually enjoy playing Skyrim more, even though there’s a lot to hate about Skyrim (its stat and magic system being way less interesting, for one).

But I’d say New Vegas is a better game than both by a mile.

• Phantoon says:

I didn’t play Morrowind until after Oblivion, nor did I have grand expectations.

I found it to be an easily superior game. Shivering Isles was better than Skyrim, to boot.

• Grygus says:

Morrowind is a very good game, and it does do a few things better than the others, but of the last three Elder Scrolls games, Morrowind has the worst combat and most tedious travel (oh look, another gray mountain with an ash storm. Here comes a Cliff Racer. Excitement.) I prefer the more cinematic approach to conversations, though I admit that this is strictly personal preference. Since I spend virtually all of my time in Elder Scrolls games fighting, exploring, or talking, I question this idea that Morrowind is easily the best of them. I think Skyrim is just as good, and much better in some important ways.

This is an uncontroversial stance, though, so most people just don’t bother expressing it; I think Morrowind is generally said to be better on the Internet by default rather than real consensus.

• malkav11 says:

Most people will agree that the combat is better in later Elder Scrolls titles, and potentially also agree that the dialogue is better. But I don’t agree that the series is about either of those aspects, and both are notably lackluster in all of the main series Elder Scrolls games compared to games where those -are- focuses of the gameplay. Exploration, I think, is really the key bit, and Morrowind simply has the most interesting world to explore, and while the absence of ridable horses or convenient fast travel can make the game a bit tedious to move around early on, you do develop ways around that that are far more immersive and exploration-friendly than the one click fast travel of later games in the series. Such as a ring of permanent effect levitation combined with the Boots of Blinding Speed.

drewski says:

Morrowind’s all about Mark, Recall, Silt Striders and boats. Walking? What are you, a peasant?

• StingingVelvet says:

Morrowind is better in some areas, worse in others. Same as any game in a series honestly, even Oblivion has a few things over Morrowind and Skyrim. Where you fall on the favorite scale will likely depend on which aspects of games are most important to you.

As someone who highly values being immersed in a crazy fantasy world I find Morrowind to be the best game in the series. It has the most unique world, the most believable world due to it’s frontier aspects allowing for smaller populations, and it has unique and hand-placed items everywhere to look for and find. The travel system also helps with immersion, tedious or not.

If someone is more focused on combat or story presentation though, obviously they would prefer the sequels.

• Skabooga says:

As one of the rare people who played Oblivion before Morrowind, while there isn’t a huge gulf between them, my preference probably leans in favor of Oblivion. For all its genericness, at least if was pretty to look at as you traveled around from place to place. Morrowind had a tendency to devolve into long trudges through brown-on-brown, desolate environments which all the originality and foreignness in the world could not save. On the other hand, in Morrowind, YOU COULD FLY! and that makes up for a lot.

• InternetBatman says:

I would say so, yes. Morrowwind is more varied and has really cool spells, but New Vegas has better writing and combat is more fun. The physical combat is very, very satisfying. In a way that Morrowwind’s isn’t, and it’s a sword and sorcery game.

20. Zwebbie says:

I half want to play New Vegas again, but I know half of my playtime in it would be messing through the inventory again. Why do all these open world RPGs have to focus so much on carrying crap?

• gwathdring says:

They don’t, not exactly. That’s more our fault. The crap is hanging around in the world just to be more interesting or immersing or something. No matter how realistic the rules on how much I can carry, I always spend a lot of time agonizing over what to carry.

Once I carried more than I could hold in my inventory to the end of a dungeon in Oblivion in multiple trips, loaded it all up, exited the dungeon in a single trip, loaded it into the nearest corpse outside the dungeon, and dragged to poor bastard into town (Open Cities Mod made this atrocious act possible). This is not something I can blame the designers for. This is pure obsession or greed or some other depravity all of my own. :P

• Skabooga says:

I really must have spent hours in Oblivion reevaluating my inventory with every new piece of loot I found, judging whether it was more valuable or more useful than every other piece of loot in my inventory.

• Stevostin says:

I am big pro Bethesda way of doing things in RPG, including their take on UI (Immersion > excel) and I find it just fine most of the time – and actually way smarter than Mass Effect stuff but nobody notice because ME is so dumbed down. That being said, their system is just not up to it when it comes to dealing with an NPC/mule or craft. So unless you find a pretty radical mod helping on that level, I suggest you just roleplay someone who doesn’t craft ANYTHING. I didn’t find anything helping enough with FNV to just deal with all the survival stuff. Such a PITA !

Now once you left that part and just roleplay your character, ohmy, this is one of the best game ever made, that RPS completely missed apparently.

• Zenicetus says:

Like gwathdring said, it just takes some role-playing discipline.

I’m actually looking forward to dealing with NV’s inventory system for another playthrough after my experience with Skyrim’s awful stock UI and magic/potion system. No more sorting through 10 different versions of a healing potion in varying degrees of strength, plus all the ingredients to make them, when all I’ll need is a Stimpak or a hit of Nuka-Cola. And a much better system for directly comparing weapons and armor stats.

21. Sentient Waffle says:

No no no, I just stopped playing it, don’t give me a reason to go back, I got other games to play as well!

• Kevin Costner says:

Just put it down too, after a full, every dlc, play-through.

No way I’m going back there for a while.

See you in 2014 if we’re all still alive…and the polar caps haven’t melted…

22. Soup says:

I really don’t understand the love for New Vegas. It was so horribly broken, you got annihilated by enemies far more powerful than you if you tried to explore and the story was achingly dull. Are the mods that good or was there something in the vanilla game that I missed?

• Beelzebud says:

You missed that it is a true RPG, where some areas are dangerous before you’re ready for them, and the “achingly dull” story was because you probably skipped over most of it, or didn’t pay attention.

• Juan Carlo says:

Not sure how you could call the story dull, unless you only played for the first 10 hours or so. Once you get to the strip and can start playing the various factions off of each other things get really interesting.

• Soup says:

It’s a pretty bad sign if the story takes ten hours to get interesting.

• MOKKA says:

Would be a bad sign if there wasn’t anything else happening within those 10 hours.

I found the game rather interesting, but we all like different things don’t we?

• Phantoon says:

“if it takes ten hours to get interesting”

There’s an entire group of people called Final Fantasy fans that would defend that.

• CrookedLittleVein says:

First ten hours? You must have been taking the bunny slope. :D

Potential spoilers;

I recall making it to the strip in about seven hours, though it became interesting waaaaay before that, probably around the time you realise Victor is following you. Brrr.

• Phantoon says:

With six Luck and max Agi, you can get there in under ten. You just have to be lucky enough to get a stealth boy from victor’s shack, then run past the deathclaws. Then you go into Camp McCarran and buy a suit then just hop onto the train.

Bonus points if you took Black Widow for a fretless Benny kill.

• InternetBatman says:

On my second playthrough I got there in about three hours, maybe less with a high luck / sneak / melee character going straight from goodsprings. I took the stealthboy and used it to sneak past the cazadores, snuck around the deathclaws by sticking close to the hills and eventually climbing over them, and just far enough away from the raiders in that burned out town. Then I ran into an NCR patrol fighting those raiders with energy weapons, looted both, went straight to freeside and sold the loot. It took about half an hour of blackjack to get the money to walk straight into the Strip, where I broke the casinos (getting free combat armor from the Omertas), using all my proceeds to buy stat upgrades, and then walked out of Vegas a well-geared, wealthy level 2 ready to take on the world.

• Soup says:

I tend to wander around before doing the serious stuff, so I guess you could say that.

• Zenicetus says:

The game is made for wandering around, especially in the early levels. It’s not a game with a linear progression like Crysis 2 where you’re always fairly well matched to your opponents. You can discover stuff that will kill you quickly. You can speed run through them, but they’re basically designed to encourage you to explore other side quests and level up, before you get to the big city where the plot advances.

Actually I think the early part of NV is the most fun, when you’re vulnerable. It’s not as bad as Fallout 3 in the leveling progression (and there are mods that deal with it), but by the middle of the game I was starting to feel a little too powerful.

• Blackseraph says:

One of the best features about nv was that you could get annihilated bu deathclaws if you wandered in wrong place. You were most often warned about places with dangerous enemies.

One of the biggest complaints in fallout 3 and Oblivion (and skyrim too) is that they are all level scaled, which essentially means that they are never challenging and later when every second enemy is super mutant master they aren’t even fun anymore.

• Zenicetus says:

Right, I love that aspect of NV. It reminded me of some experiences in the early days of my time in WoW, where you’re wandering through an area where most mobs are level-appropriate, but every once in a while, a major boss-level thing will cruise through the zone, and you’re supposed to run away, or you’ll be dead. Higher-level monsters were also used as gateways to signal that you were going into a zone you weren’t ready for.

That can’t be done in a linear scripted shooter, because it would just block progression, but it’s a hallmark of good open world RPG design. I don’t need to feel all-powerful, all the time. Sometimes it’s good to get my ass whipped, run away, and then come back later for some payback.

• InternetBatman says:

You got annihilated by enemies because you were exploring without being careful. It is very, very possible to get to all the major places on the map if you pay attention to enemies and stealth past them. But moving anywhere without consequences isn’t exploring, it’s taking a stroll and getting money for it.

DrScuttles says:

As much as I love New Vegas (and I do love it. Love it so much that I had to promise never to have children because I couldn’t love them as much as New Vegas), I’d rather wait for a more complete version of this before starting another playthrough. Extra, lore-friendly content is always great though.
    With cut content, jsawyer.esp and slower levelling, I can probably waste another few hundred hours on the game easily.

24. StingingVelvet says:

I still don’t understand why Bethesda bugs are cute, endearing and briefly mentioned while New Vegas bugs were crippling, horrible and worth knocking points off for.

Not saying this about RPS specifically.

• Boarnoah says:

In fact, Obsidian have done a superb job with New Vegas, Where is this so called glitch ridden, buggy mess? Heck Fallout 3, I had to on more than one occasion reach for the console to get my self out of little glitches but New Vegas never,

Admittedly I still haven’t gone up the main quest (past entering the Strip) but I have played most of the DLCs as well as spent a long time doing side quests etc…

Also its not exactly unstable, It runs smooth as butter on my very weak (outdated) PC fine, with high view distances (with only few settings lower than medium) no AA though…. And I run this on an on board Nvidia 7100

PS Entering the strip was however underwhelming.

• StingingVelvet says:

Yeah the strip is a bummer. Engine nightmare, honestly.

The game is flawed for sure and Fallout 3 is better in some areas, worse in others. None of that changes the annoyance I have with the way journalists treat developers differently depending on their power and history. New Vegas was no more a buggy mess than Skyrim, but compare review paragraphs on those issues and it’s like they’re leagues apart.

• LionsPhil says:

If you look at the wikis for Oblivion, FO3, or NV, take any quest and there’ll be a Bugs section with half a dozen ways in which the scripting can jam up and make it uncompletable without resorting to console fiddling (and if you’re playing on a games console, too bad).

Given that they don’t always strike, it’s not implausible that some reviewers are going to trigger all the bugs in one game and not another through sheer unfortunate luck, and as such opinions of how buggy they are are going to waver wildly from person to person and game to game.

(For my part, easily the worst is getting jammed in the terrain and being unable to get free, even by fast travel, though.)

RedViv says:

Games with an open world like this, and especially when quests can interact like they do in NV, are very prone to bugs.
        What’s actually outrageous is the lack of fixing that Bethesda does, their lack of communication about what might be fixed if they happen to do something in a patch, and so on. The unofficial patches solve more problems than the official ones, and Obsidian was the team that openly acknowledged the work that the community had done before. For a company that says that modding their games is an important aspect, Beth sure don’t seem to want to work with those who do it.
        Heck, just look at the massive problems that the sudden release of Dawnguard caused for the Nexus. That’s not how you show that you care about the modding community. Your bloody customers.

• Unaco says:

Different bugs have different effects. If Bethesda have a bug were someone’s head spins round as they walk, small cosmetic issue, not really a big deal. If Obsidian have a bug were invisible NCR/Legion Troopers, Feral Ghouls and Glowing Ones (so far) appear, at random, half stuck in the scenery/terrain/road and only have visible, in places they should not be (outside the Prospector Saloon in Goodsprings) it can be more of an issue. Or having the Pipboy and all quest scripting freeze up, making it impossible to progress with anything, because of a bad dialogue.

That’s just my experience, but I didn’t come across any “game breakers” in FO3… plenty of oddities and weird bits. But I’ve come across a couple of issues that have required restarting and trawling back through saves to find a ‘clean’ one in FONV… and I’m only 28 hours in.

• meatshit says:

Are you using a lot of mods? I played the game completely vanilla on release and had a few bugs and no show-stoppers (compared with 3 separate show-stoppers in Skyrim and god knows how many small bugs). However, my latest, heavily modded playthrough crashes hourly and forces me to load an old autosave at least once a sitting, all of which I accept as the price you pay for so much free community-created content . Fortunately, I installed CASM, which autosaves so often that it makes the instability bearable.

• Unaco says:

No. This was happening with a vanilla install, when I started walking in and out of Goodsprings.

• InternetBatman says:

Still, Bethesda pretty much got a free pass from their bugs in Skyrim, which included backward flying dragons and horrendous memory crunches on consoles, while New Vegas got slammed.

Big Murray says:

Are Obsidian ever going to make a game that feels complete from the off?

They’re the perennial “would’ve made a good game except” company.

26. Wednesday says:

Why do Obsidian get some much get out of jail free on this website?

Vegas was a clunky mess and I enjoyed it considerably less than FO3. Alpha protocol was absolutely pants, and yet again, people rallied around it.

Did I just play a different game? One which did not have the exact same plot as Tomorow Never Dies?

• CrookedLittleVein says:

“Vegas was a clunky mess and I enjoyed it considerably less than FO3.”

You see, that’s what makes me scratch my head, because for me “F3 was a clunky mess and I enjoyed it considerably less than NV” and that’s the truth, for me. F3 is a bit too much action, not enough conversation. Too shooty, too loud, too brash and too obnoxious. Still liked it, but it was NV that really wowed me and made me check out the first two games.

“Alpha protocol was absolutely pants, and yet again, people rallied around it.”

AP is, in many ways, absolutely pants. That is not to say however that it isn’t a least a little experimental (an espionage RPG with real choice and consequence?!?) and well-written, sunk mainly by a few large and very poor design decisions. It’s not perfect, but it’s certainly worth a play through.

Put it this way, I’d rather have a game that aims high and fails, than a game that aims low and hits perfectly. Of course, I am a feeble minded hippie. Or so I’m told. :D

• Wednesday says:

While I felt the writing of AP, as in the script, wasn’t bad, the plot as absolutely awful.

Some fiction can get by without a narrative. AP did not.

• StingingVelvet says:

FO3 was just as clunky as New Vegas, don’t know how one could put one above the other on that front. Same exact game at the core really. Same thing with bugs.

Basically FO3 has better exploration and more combat while New Vegas has better story, quests and roleplaying elements. I prefer the latter, so I prefer New Vegas. Pretty simple really.

As for Alpha Protocol the game is pretty damn rough around the edges but we don’t get very many Deus Ex style roleplaying shooter hybrid things, so I still loved it. I played as a sneaky pistol dude and had a blast. Never encountered any real bugs either, just a general lack of polish.

I can see why people could dislike both games, especially if they are more into linear games, but I can’t for the life of me see why someone who really liked FO3 would call New Vegas clunky.

RedViv says:

Alpha Protocol is a horribly broken game, and a most beautiful piece of game storytelling.
        I tend to admire it because of the latter, and do not want to play it more often because of the former. But it does make clear the strengths of the developers. Story, not necessarily technology. Though they did manage to deliver a perfectly fine title with Dungeon Siege III, which was not as ambitious in terms of story content.

• Nick says:

Because what you are saying is a mixture of bullshit and lies and more bullshit.

• CrookedLittleVein says:

ZING!

Oh no, wait, you were just being pointlessly rude.

• Nick says:

Right, because saying Obsidian gets a free ride on RPS isn’t a lie, that NV is somehow clunkier than FO3 isn’t bullshit.

• CrookedLittleVein says:

Of course it’s bullshit, but it may actually be that person’s honest opinion, rather than mere trolling. I find it best to bludgeon people with facts rather than spraying bile over them.

Remember Hanlon’s razor, my good chap. :)

• Wednesday says:

Perhaps I should have been clearer. When I said “this site” I largely meant the community via the comments section, not any of the writers here. They can like whatever they want, it’s their boat. I was just expressing surprise at how many of us give Obsidian the benefit of the doubt and how I feel they’re over rated as a dev team .

Also, I fail to see how my post contained any “lies”, little of what I said wandered into the territory of objective truth.

Also, don’t be such a tosser.

• Metonymy says:

NV was only am improvement because it added massive amounts of story and voice acting to the already finished FO3.

FO3 is ultimately the superior game for true role players, people who invent a person, place themselves in the shoes of their character, and pretend to be whatever they want. This is true simply because the overworld of FO3 is about 10 times more populated with “stuff.” Contrast Skyrim which clearly did not benefit from the same QC, and had absolutely no interesting bits, anywhere. Part of this was related to an abysmal loot system.

NV falls inbetween having a handful of interesting locations, but ultimately being exclusively a series of quests within a very flat world.

• Nick says:

trololololololololo

• Metonymy says:

I wish I could understand how your opinion could be so strongly held, that you would assume anyone who disagrees with you is being belligerent? If you detect belligerence, doesn’t that mean you are suffering from it yourself? Do you not understand that your beliefs are opinions?

I ask, because NV fans are pretty consistent in this regard. FO3 fans will say ‘yeah haha the quests sucked, and weren’t realistic, and the subway system was pretty damn awful, unless you like that sort of thing, and it wasn’t really consistent with the fallout universe, but damn, it had a lot of great apocalyptic scenarios and settings, and I had a blast exploring.”

New Vegas fans will never be rational like that, and will explode in childish glee if they encounter someone who will point out the rather visible flaws in NV. For example, the empty overworld, the buildings that are never accessible, the hand holding of the main quest, the railway tracks that have a gradient more steep than mountain freight trains, the tedious and frivolous ammo and crafting system, etc. I added that last one just to see if you can stomach it. I really believe that.

Lars Westergren says:

“And another way I like how us F3 fans are superior is that unlike FNV fans we never generalize about people.”

>New Vegas fans will never be rational like that

I think StingingVelvet and CrookedLittleVein just above you are being very reasoned and polite.

• Om says:

I wish I could understand how you could be so certain/arrogant in your own preferences that you believe that those that don’t share them aren’t “true role players”

• Zenicetus says:

We’re all going to bring different perspectives to role-playing games, so what works for one person because a game has “more content in the overworld” might not work for someone else if the character framework doesn’t fit.

For example, I had more fun role-playing in NV than FO3, simply because I can relate better to starting as a classic Western gunslinger dude who gets mixed up in a faction war, than I can to being a man-child fresh out of the Vault, being encouraged to find my father as part of the main plot. Western dude was just a better fit for me. It might not be for someone else. It’s not just the size of the overworld that makes for a fun RPG experience.

• Jenks says:

It’s only here, too. 91 vs 84 on metacritic is massive. There is definitely no bigger conglomeration of Obsidian apologists than RPS.

“Metacritic sucks, my opinion is all that matters, Bethesda paid reviewers, herp derp”

• gritz says:

Oh well if Metacritic said so, then I just don’t know what to think!

• Metonymy says:

It’s NOT just here.

The whole “should games be an interactive story?, or should the game itself be the only part that is relevant?” argument is probably the most heated, and the most important one, amongst dedicated gamers right now.

Skyrim is what happens when the story and presentation is the only thing that gets examined and worked on.
        Doom1+2 would be examples of what happens when the entire story and setting is manufactured to play to the strength of an existing, excellent game.

Many games lean heavily towards stories, while keeping the gameplay as tight as possible, (Darksiders 2 a recent example) while very few games create amazing gameplay, and keep the story as compelling as possible. It’s hard to think of actual good games, because everything (100%) is a rehash, and only a handful of those are good.

• MOKKA says:

‘[…]my opinion is all that matters […]’

Well of course it’s the only thing that matters. What’s the alternative? Only enjoying what other people tell me? Not having an opinion of my own?

I think those are rather stupid things to do. After all, it’s me who’s playing this game and if I happen to enjoy it, then all those judgments which differ from mine, are not valid for me. If they’re valid for you, fine, but please don’t be so stupid to assume, what’s valid for you has to be valid for everyone else.

• Jenks says:

“please don’t be so stupid to assume, what’s valid for you has to be valid for everyone else.”

You just lectured me by making the same exact point that I made. Well thought out, thanks.

• onodera says:

What would the scores be if FNV had been released first, and F3 two years after it?

• Drake Sigar says:

I’ve completed Alpha Protocol six times, which is something I haven’t done with a game since I was a child. The perks, the choices, the conversations, the order you take the missions – all of it makes for one hugely replayable experience.

• Fincher says:

Maybe because they’re one of the few developers who aren’t in a hurry to turn their RPG IPs into action games?

My mouth waters when I wonder what Obsidian could do with The Elder Scrolls series. If anything, it’s Bethesda who’ve been getting an easy ride with their recent output.

27. StormFuror says:

Man I would love to install this, I’m just weary that it’ll cause problems. I’ve held out on playing this game because I heard how buggy it was and just snagged it up Ultimate Edtion during the Steam Summer Sales. I’m 20 hours in and I love it! :)

• Lycan says:

Same here, ‘cept I’m 30 hours in. I also picked up FO3 and Skyrim in the Summer Sale (yeah, my poor wallet :D) but the music in FO:NV is so catchy it pops into my head at all odd times even when I’m not playing the game…

There’s even this one video on YouTube (can’t find the link now) where someone made a video of FO:NV NPCs doing choreographed dances to “I got spurs that jingle jangle jingle…” Epic !

28. bill says:

Finishing an Obsidian game is always a worthy endeavor.

But adding back a lot of padding and repetitive tasks to their only pretty finished game sounds like it might not be as great an idea as everyone is making out.

• LionsPhil says:

Mmm, of the criticisms I have of NV, “there needs to be more of it” isn’t one of them.

(Obligatory disclaimer that, yes, I’ve seen that the mod author doesn’t claim it’s necessarily an improvement to undo Obsidian’s pruning.)

29. Classicgamer says:

This game is definitely one of my favorite shooter / RPG games. Although, In my opinion… It falls short of Fallout: 3.

30. Josh W says:

I can’t get the full experience thanks to having played sections of this game with a friend, but I’ve been holding off playing this game until modders sort out the bugs and add new stuff, and articles like this make me more and more glad I choose that.

It’s going to be amazing!

31. Enkinan says:

Way too much coming out for me to get sucked back into the New Vegas, but I’m filing this away for a day in the future when I can take the time. The original campaign on hardcore was one of the best times I’ve had playing a game…ever.