Yep, It’s Real: Barkley 2 Chaos Dunks Kickstarter

By Nathan Grayson on November 29th, 2012 at 3:00 pm.

I, for one, am happy (?) to live in a world where a PC version of the latest in one of gaming’s most wildly successful franchises can be in question while something called The Magical Realms of Tír na nÓg: Escape from Necron 7 – Revenge of Cuchulainn: The Official Game of the Movie – Chapter 2 of the Hoopz Barkley SaGa can be absolutely, 100 percent real. Put simply, it means that nothing actually makes sense, and I’m a fan of a little wild, horrifying unpredictability in my life. So, right then: Barkley 2. Tale of Game’s – they of the world’s most infuriatingly purposeful title typo – are looking to crowdfund their parody RPG sequel, and the final product actually sounds sort of, dare I say it… fascinating.

Tale of Game’s is looking for a measly $35,000, and it’s already nearly halfway there. At this rate, funding’s pretty much guaranteed, so what exactly will we be getting for our time/money/withering view of the universe’s natural order? Well, the biggest upfront change is that this one’s a twin-stick-ish action-RPG. TMROTNN:EFN7-ROC:TOGOTM-C2OTHBS (sadly not redeemable on Steam) is also looking to marry the aesthetics and absurd narrative arcs of Japanese role-players with the openness of Western fare like The Elder Scrolls. Here’s an especially ambitious result of that:

“People, places and quests change over time; the things you experience might be completely different from what your friends experience because you did them at different times. The official Big Idea behind Barkley 2 is that everyone will have a different game – things changing over time is the backbone of this idea.”

Combat, meanwhile, is apparently drawing on inspirations ranging from Dark Souls to Borderlands, so it should be interesting, if nothing else. I mean, just take a look at this part.

Wait, no.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

(Note: the previous outburst could also be substituted as a reaction for the backer bonus Cyberdwarf body pillow. Which is an actual thing.)

, , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. Splynter says:

It’s time to slam jam… again!

The first game was absolutely ridiculous, and incredibly entertaining. I’ve not backed this one, but I am interested to see where it goes.

Drayk says:

I don’t know where it goes, but it’s already funded…

• stacyparker8 says:

I make $82h while I’m traveling the world. Last week I worked by my laptop in Rome, Monti Carlo and finally Paris…This week I’m back in the USA. All I do are easy tasks from this one cool site. check it out.. http://cutt.us/0PuU

2. JackShandy says:

This interview has actually made me pretty excited about this one as a genuine RPG.

“First, the world itself is completely open. You can go anywhere you want or do anything you want so long as you are strong or clever enough to handle the challenges. This doesn’t mean it’s recommended! Think Gothic.

Second, there are multiple ways to accomplish the same thing. For instance, the very first part of the game is all about getting out of Tir na Nog, this awful megacity that the main antagonist, Cuchulainn, is corralling dwarfs into. You can do this by escaping through the sewers or this whole goofy quest where you impersonate the newly-appointed governor or through other ways.

Lastly, many of the choices you make with your character are permanent and irreversible. You can change classes, but the statistics you distribute and the choices you make for your character last forever. There are a lot of very big choices that change the entire game. For instance, over the course of the game, you can acquire robotic parts. If you acquire enough, you permanently become a robot and you can never change back. This affects mechanics – robots equip items entirely differently and have a different set of skills – as well as how certain people react to you and even the endings available to you.”

Talk is cheap, of course, but so the 10 bucks they’re asking.

3. TCM says:

I just want to say the Cyberdwarf body pillow is, far and away, the best single thing offered to backers on Kickstarter for any game, ever.

4. Low Life says:

I love the rewards for their $1000 and $10 000 tier backers. Especially the $10 000 tier, great to see a project giving those wealthy backers their money’s worth.

5. Unrein says:

Goddamn that’s some good looking pixel art.

Oozo says:

…aaaaand they have reached their goal. Really interested in seeing how far it will go; considering that they have a solid cult following, THE BEST REWARDS and good ideas (also, judging by the look of it, talented pixel artists), this one could wildly surpass the developers’ expectations.

• LennyLeonardo says:

you mean “developer’s”

• TCM says:

Just be sure you don’t misspell their name.

It’s “Tales of Game’s”, not “Tale’s of Games”. It might really offend them.

7. Sir-Lucius says:

TRUE DOOM-MURDERHEADS!

8. Spoon Of Doom says:

From the title I was expecting a joke, but this actually sounds and looks awesome! If they are able to keep the promises they’re making here, that is.

Edit: By the way, I’ve never heard of the original. Is it worth playing?

• epmode says:

The first game is absolutely worth playing. Truly well-written comedy games are very hard to find.

9. realmenhuntinpacks says:

Loved the first one – I highly recommend it. Also, after squinting at it for a bit, I can’t figure out if Nathan’s in on the “gun’s” joke or not…

10. MrUnimport says:

It’s kind of unsettling to see CBoyardee playing a Kickstarter video so straight. Looking forward to this game, but I hope it doesn’t stretch too far and end up losing itself under its mechanics.

11. Mr. Mister says:

Hahaha, hats.

12. InternetBatman says:

In other Kickstarter news it’s Sui Generis’ last day, and it’s going to be razor thin either way.

• Ich Will says:

The only bad thing about kickstarter is it encourages people to act like spam bots.

• AngoraFish says:

made it with four hours to go. w00t!

13. Laketown says:

I hope one of their stretch goals is to either license space jam or have the Quad City DJ’s do a new song for them

14. Jenks says:

This is looking like the best piece of edutainment software since Frog Fractions.

15. elfbarf says:

EDUTAINMENT!

strangeloup says:

It’s already looking like it’ll be an award-winner (Best Game Title and Longest Game Title, which I sincerely hope are real actual awards somewhere, and possibly Most Like That Weird Dream You Had After Playing SNES All Day) as well as utterly batshit fun. Wasn’t sure what level to back it at, but $25 seemed like a good deal — the music is really, really good.

17. Daniel Klein says:

Was going to back this until I watched the video and saw they don’t know how to pronounce the name of Ulster’s defender, the dude who wouldn’t let some other dudes steal a cow and speared his childhood friend in the arse, Cuchulainn! Fun fact: when young Setanta was invited to Chulainn’s house party by the king but the king forgot to mention having invited young Setanta, Chulainn set free his hound to guard the garden. Setanta appeared (fashionably late) for the party, was attacked by the dog, and threw a hurling ball at the dog with such ferocity that it entered the dog’s mouth and existed the poor beast’s backside, trailing a considerable length of intestine. Chulainn was a little pissed that he now no longer had a watch dog, so Setanta said I’ll be your hound, no one saw the sexual reading, and Setanta took the new name of Cuchulainn, Chulainn’s hound.

Irish myths are best.

• Breemis says:

I’ve always pronounced it the way Shane McGowan did. Am I correct or has he lead me astray?

18. Beebop says:

“NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.”

This from someone who habitually refuses to put “of” after “couple”?

YOU DON’T KNOW THE PAIN YOU CAUSE, GRAYSON.

19. killuminati says:

Actually this could be really entertaining!