Far Cry 3 Servers Down Already: Ubi, This Is A Mess

By John Walker on November 30th, 2012 at 9:26 am.

Update: Ubisoft have tweeted an apology, saying they’re working as fast as they can to get the servers back online.

So, like many others, I’m very excited to play Far Cry 3. After Jim’s review, and many similar elsewhere, I’ve been dying to play it and finally have the chance. Today is my day off, hooray! And so far I’ve been treated to a horrible, horrible time, and all at the hands of the technical mess that is Uplay and idiotic mechanical choices. And right now? Ubisoft’s servers are down. On launch day. You can still play in offline mode, but ho boy, this isn’t a good start.

Right now, this is what the game looks like:

I can’t move from this extraordinary vista, I’ve no way of interacting. My skill menu looks like this:

I don’t feel very skillful. And this is all because currently the Ubisoft servers are down.

I’ve seen the unskippable intro three times now. It’s good! The first time I saw it I was very impressed by the acting, and not uninterested in the action. The second time, a few minutes after the game had crashed on me and I was forced to watch it again, I wasn’t so impressed. It’s extremely long, and there’s absolutely no reason on Earth why it shouldn’t be skipped. The third time I was genuinely pissed off. The third time was because I’d deliberately quit out of the game after finishing watching the intro, chosen the oddly ambiguous “save” from the menu, and quit out to entirely rebuild my PC to see if I could get the glitching smoothed out. New Windows install on a brand new SSD, just for you, Far Cry 3. Then I had to watch the intro again. This was after trying to find the save location, via an appeal on Twitter, to learn it’s either:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Ubisoft\Ubisoft Game Launcher\savegames\0c7ddfbe-d92d-4270-8cf9-3493a81f0c2d\46\

or

C:\ProgramData\Orbit\46\

Read the damned rules, Ubisoft.

That took me until late last night. So this morning I figured, a day with Far Cry 3! Woo-hoo! Loaded Uplay, no problems, launched the game and it told me it couldn’t connect to the Ubisoft servers. I knew that the publisher had ditched their evil always-on DRM crap, so knew this wouldn’t any longer be a problem, and indeed the game launched just fine. Until the first time I tried to pull up a local menu. Going back to the game, you see the above. Go into the menus again, and the same. Quit? Not possible. So all that progress? Gone.

The way around this is to set Uplay to Offline Mode. But this isn’t something Uplay feels the need to alert you to before launching the game. Instead you’re forced to load a broken version, that lets you play for a while, then throws multiple tantrums. As I write, the windowed version of the game I had switched from because of its oddities has now entirely crashed, not letting me open nor close it. Task killing is the only option left.

So the question I’m left with is: What does Uplay offer me?

And the answer is nothing whatsoever. It’s an obstacle between me and my game. Even Steam lets you run a game directly from a shortcut. But here I have this unwieldy front-end, that insists on my clicking through it to launch the game, and meddles in the background throughout. It’s clearly trying to emulate Steam in a number of ways, just like Origin does, with its own options to switch to it while a game is running, and unwanted and unrequested attempts to cloud save my data. But in reality it takes away immediately practical things I want from my games, like to run them without having to fiddle with an unwanted extra piece of software that’s currently crippling the game, and to save to a local directory in clear, easy to transfer save files. That Far Cry 3’s servers are down this morning, on the day the game sodding well comes out, is beyond belief.

The good news is I can play the game. The bad news is I have to jump through so many pointless hoops to do so. I really do think Uplay was made with good intentions. Ubi saw the opportunities Steam offers, and wanted them for themselves – which is absolutely fair enough. No one should bow to Valve’s monopoly if they can create something that rivals it. They also wanted to create community-based features, and offer bonuses and gimmicks for players – it’s part of their desire to stop being the Big Evil and start rewarding legitimate customers rather than punishing them. But they’ve made such an arsed up mess of it, and it desperately needs to just go away.

I want to double click the Far Cry 3 icon on my desktop, and see the game load. It’s a single-player game, and it requires no online features whatsoever for how I’m trying to play it. But right now, doing that makes for a broken game, and a pissed off John on his day off.

, , , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. Branthog says:

A lot of these publishers and developers no longer give a flying fuck about PC. They treat it like a kid being forced to eat his veggies. He might do it, but he’s going to make it the most drawn-out uncomfortable bullshit ever, in the hopes that you’ll eventually give up and just stop trying to make them eat their veggies.

Joshua says:

And all because everyone is trying to copy Valve!

• Screamer says:

I hope everyone wasnt copying Steam too closely, offline mode was broken up until a month or 2 ago :/

• Ringwraith says:

Though I hear that the offline mode not working was actually a problem caused by Windows telling Steam there’s an internet connection when there wasn’t. Hence the hopeless loop of it failing to go online to go offline.

• zeroskill says:

Offline Mode always worked fine for me when I needed it. It is important to set up everything as long as you are online, making sure everything works fine for the instance you won’t be online or don’t want to be connected to your internet for some reason.

The issue seems to be that everytime steam starts up in offline or online mode, a file called winui.gcf is modiefied. Making a backup copy of this file seems to resolve most issues people are having.

It always worked fine for me, that doesn’t mean it works for everyone. However a quick google seach will bring you to forums threads discussing the issues that people have and there are solutions for most of them. However it would be great if Valve could start taking the offline thing more seriously and offer a working solution for everyone, since this seems to be the main complaint across the board concerning the steam client.

• ScubaMonster says:

I find it hard to believe there wasn’t an easy fix for that.

• LionsPhil says:

Not really. Steam seems (seemed?) to think “there’s a link” means “and there’s a route to the Internet over it”. These are distinct concepts, and most network apps can at least realize when connecting to a server isn’t working, so it’s hard to claim that’s Windows’ fault.

• Brun says:

Correct, although Windows sometimes struggles with this distinction as well.

• SuicideKing says:

This. I figured this out by myself, turn the router off (so that the network is shown as disconnected with a cross and not simply that exclamation mark) and steam would finally launch in offline mode. It is sort of fixed now though it doesn’t always play nice.

• Ateius says:

Yes, I discovered the solution to making offline mode launch when my internet was down was simply to unplug the cable from my PC, so there’s no link to the local network either and Steam will immediately recognize that there is no internet to be had and can I please start in offline mode now.

It really, really shouldn’t be an issue, but at least it’s something I can bypass.

• solidsquid says:

Oh hey, so they’ve fixed that now? I’d noticed it kept seeming to switch back to online mode, but I thought it might be a preferences issue

• MadTinkerer says:

Since some Internet folks are talking shit they don’t understand about Steam again, it seems I need to put the record straight: Steam is not a DRM scheme. Steamworks has a DRM option which some pubs/devs opt in to use, but Steam itself doesn’t keep anyone from playing.

Proof: There are dozens of games installed on my HD, in the Steam folder, that don’t require Steam to be running. Yes, it’s not all of them, but I was surprised when I ran the tests. Some of them require Steam to at least be in offline mode, but that’s the optional part.

These games, the ones that use Steam to install but don’t require Steam to run, use other bits of Steamworks such as achievements and such when Steam is running and there’s an internet connection. So given Internet availability, that’s the proffered way of playing. But I could just run them straight from the folders at any time.

I am not posting the list again, and I only tested the ones that began with A and B or a number that were installed at that time. Go to your own Steam folder and see which games you have that will run without the Steam launcher. (Protip: the Indies and older big-dev games are the most likely)

Bottom line is: Any DRM scheme that seeks to “copy Valve” is missing the point that Steam isn’t actually a DRM scheme because it’s up to the pubs/devs to require Steam or not. … No, seriously, it’s really not a DRM scheme. … No, really, I tested it myself, stupid. Argument over. Stop being wrong.

• fish99 says:

That’s all very nice, but Steam is DRM. If I uninstall Steam how many of those games will still work? (steam doesn’t remove the games when you uninstall it btw) If a single one doesn’t work after uninstalling Steam, then Steam is DRM.

Anything that controls your rights to use your games as you see fit is DRM. Digital Rights Management. Think about what that phrase means.

Can I sell individual steam games from my account? No (and let’s not forget it’s now illegal to restrict the resale of digital games in the EU). Can I lend them to other people while retaining access to my other games? No. Therefore it’s controlling the use of my games. Therefore it’s DRM. End of story.

• Urthman says:

Did you even read what he said? Lots of games still work directly from their directory if you uninstall (or simply decline to launch) Steam. It’s only DRM if the game developer chooses to use it that way. Valve allows developers to use Steam as a form of DRM, but Steam itself is not DRM unless the developer/publisher chooses to use it that way.

You might as well say your PC is DRM because some games run code on it that acts as DRM.

Get rid of your PC! It’s DRM!

• fish99 says:

That’s all totally irrelevant to whether Steam is DRM. Like I said, you can’t sell the games, and you can’t lend them to people. That perfectly fits the description of what DRM is. Steam is controlling your digital rights. You bought a game and you have no control over what you can do with it. That’s exactly what DRM is.

As I said, it’s also now illegal for Steam to prohibit you from selling your games.

Also most games won’t run from their directory.

• Ninja Foodstuff says:

The Mac version of Uplay is even worse. Earlier this year, when they switched to Uplay 2.0, they didn’t bother/forgot to update the Mac clients so no-one could play any of the (admittedly rather old, we’re talking like Assassin’s Creed II here) games for over two weeks.

And you know what, I realise PC-users are treated as second-class citizens, and by extension, Mac/Linux users as third-class, but not a damn word from Ubisoft on the matter. Ever.

Yeah I just remembered why I don’t want to give these jerks any money.

2. trueplayer says:

Thanks for this post, I was wondering if it was my PC fault. Also – this is ridiculous.

Hanban says:

This makes me so sad. I was really looking forward to playing it today! Hopefully it’ll work by the time I get off work!

• d3vilsadvocate says:

RELOADED will help you, you know. All you need is on the ‘bay, the crack only can be downloaded in a couple of mins, will probably take less time than to register and fiddle with this damn Uplay thing…

• Rhuhuhuhu says:

Ow the irony, only pirates can help us….

• pepper says:

Its rather sad that the crackscene understands usability better then a multibillion dollar coorporation.

• solidsquid says:

Wasn’t there one game Ubisoft actually released a pirate-produced crack as a fix for DRM issues? As in, still had the scene group readme and tag line included?

4. caddyB says:

Yes, Walker. Give in to your anger. Deep inside you know Ubisoft never loved you.

• Ninja Foodstuff says:

I actually get something of a perverse thrill seeing Ubisoft’ fall once again from RPS’ favour.

• John Walker says:

Just to be clear, publishers are neither in nor out of our favour. We report on their actions, and when they’re good we’re positive, and when they’re bad we’re negative.

• Ninja Foodstuff says:

Oh come on, Ubisoft is the publisher everyone loves to hate, like EA. Don’t allow RPS objectivity guidelines to ruin our fun.

PoulWrist says:

Yea. Nothing they do can be considered good, only bad. They only want our money. Unlike Valve, which is like an angel, that doesn’t want our money. Well, except for charging double for everything sold on steam. Which is kind of evil. But hey, it’s only for certain european and russian countries, so it’s OK!

• El_Emmental says:

@PoulWrist

EA ate my puppy and kicked my burger.

I’m gonna say this, then I’m not gonna provide further information, nor link to evidences to support my claim, leaving people to think that EA *indeed* ate my puppy and kicked my burger.

Also, Activision is supporting terrorism.

• The Random One says:

As a recently reformed former console peasant, I’ll just say this: the way Ubi distributed and priced their games on Brazilian Xbox Live was better than Microsoft’s.

• Ergates_Antius says:

@Poulwrist.
            3 anti-steam rants in respose to a post that has nothing to do with Steam?

• GeneralTso92 says:

Activision IS terrorism.

• caddyB says:

I’m only happy because screw ups like these will hopefully show on sales figures and maybe force them to improve their service.

Then again, they’ll probably blame the pirates.

RaveTurned says:

How can they blame the pirates? Surely their super-effective DRM system will put an end to all piracy! ;->

• Kadayi says:

*chortles*

• Thiefsie says:

ahahahahah :

Just ta be clear, publishers is neither up in nor up of our favour. Our thugged-out asses report on they actions, n’ when they’re phat we’re positive, n’ when they’re bad we’re negative.

5. Tony Heugh says:

Only realised this wasn’t on Steam this morning. Missed purchase from me, then.

• Narzhul says:

But it is on Steam. Region lock for you?

• Tony Heugh says:

So I’m told, I’m in the UK. I was going to buy it this morning but between this and not being on Steam, Ubi can go fuck themselves.

• Archonsod says:

It probably won’t be on Steam until Steam does it’s daily Store update when the US wakes up. On the other hand, it’s been up on Gamersgate since about 7AM.

• KDR_11k says:

Supposedly has something to do with UK retailers strong-arming publishers.

jezcentral says:

I wish someone would look into these Steam non-appearances, I really do. How can this happen, with no-one even leaking a reason why to the games press?

• Kadayi says:

Pretty much. Nothing to do with Ubisoft and everything to do with big retailers like Tesco’s refusing to stock Steamwork titles. But still be more mad at Ubisoft though.

• D3xter says:

I believe it can be gotten for lots cheaper with free UK delivery from here: http://www.simplygames.com/info/19434/Far-Cry-3-PC/
          At least that’s what I am told. But given this screw-up, personally I have lots of other games to play.

Christian says:

And why would you insist on it being on Steam?
      It doesn’t offer any benefits anyway as it’s not a Steamworks-game?

(While I mostly think the same, and love having my games all on Steam because of the convenience, I don’t quite understand it in this case..)

PoulWrist says:

OH NO NO STEAM NO SALE.

Must really suck to be you. But hey, enjoy supporting that company that charges double for everyone but a few select companies. Only steam? No sale..

• El_Emmental says:

Hur Dur 8-O

Where we’re going, we don’t need no stinkin’ links nor evidences, only claims thrown in the air like that !

Grow up already, if such issue is true and Steam is at fault for the payment process issue, then RPS will be happy to cover it. Be a real man/woman/dog/space alien and do your homework, provide the infos.

• Tony Heugh says:

Be quiet, you silly man. It’s on Steam in other regions but not uk and Steam is way more convieniant for me.

• Screamer says:

I for one are glad its not on Steam. If I get another game, that forces me to download a 10-40 mb update for a game I just played 10 minutes ago, I’m going to burn something down!

And don’t tell me those are patches, that’s steam fucking around plain and simple.

• fish99 says:

Personally I try very hard to avoid buying new AAA games on steam, because they make absolutely zero effort to compete on price. I got Far Cry 3 delivered yesterday for £22.85 and if it was on steam it’d be £30. That’s 31% extra you’re paying for the privilege of not getting a box, not getting a disc for quick install, not getting a manual and having to download the game.

And why don’t they bother competing on price? Because a lot of people only buy their games on steam.

6. DevilSShadoW says:

Creating a shortcut of the .exe and adding -offline to the launch parameters mostly fixes this issue although this is obviously no excuse. This should be an in your face option or even a prompt prior to launching the game for the first time.

As for the PC version of this game, it looks absolutely gorgeous. It’s probably the best looking game this year. I can see Crytek crying all curled up in a corner right now. It runs amazingly well with the latest nVidia beta drivers and is just so much fun to play and get lost in the jungle (and get mauled by bears).

• encogen says:

Indeed, one of the better PC versions out there. I mean, FOV slider right out of the box? What kind of magic is that?

• Gorf says:

yep tonnes of settings top play around with including FOV, looks fantastic, amazing fun, and is a definate contender for game of the year.

7. Optimaximal says:

It’s all right, they’ll have probably solved this problem by the time the shadowy suits in their business meetings allow it onto Steam in our fair nation.

Probably be ~£15 too!

8. TechnicalBen says:

Sorry. More fool you for fooling for the hype. At least while the DRM still exists. Wait and buy after release. I’ve even told myself to lower my sights on Kickstarter, to pay for the demo in progress, not the end result. Because putting £30+ up front when the Devs might deliver a Lemon, is no fun.

Plus, are those at Ubi going to return you the 6 hours you wasted? I doubt it. But if we wait until the patch 1.1 or “Game of the Year edition”, most the problems are gone and it’s a couple of mins to install and play. There, I saved you 5 hours of your time and a lot of stress. Please send the cheque in the post paid out to “Smug Ben”. ;)

• John Walker says:

You’re aware that my looking forward to a game after reading Jim’s review isn’t falling for hype, right?

And waiting six months to play a game isn’t really an option *I* have. Nor one anyone else should have to use.

• Hmm-Hmm. says:

Personally, I just choose not to buy Ubisoft games. Not that I want to boycott them or anything, but uplay issues and drm and connection requirements and whatnot have definitely soured my view on them (but not necessarily their games). It is a shame, though. They do make rather interesting games from time to time. But, you know, it’s their loss.

-edit- That is not to say I couldn’t reconsider my stance if they change their ways (as they seem to have done with drm somewhat) but considering their track record that seems rather unlikely.

• Salix says:

Pretty much my view on the matter. and thankfully there are enough other interesting games around (although I do think it’s quite sad as I enjoyed Far Cry 2 when I played it on my mates console).

• Docslapper says:

same, there’s a few of their games I’d love to buy and play (Anno especially), but until they sort their act out I’m not going near them. I got burned by Ubi’s customer-hating attitude a couple of times already and I’m not going back there.

• Zarunil says:

Ditto.

9. Dr_Barnowl says:

Storing save games in those locations is not just against your rules – it’s against those set out by Microsoft for sensible program design.

Storing user data anywhere under %ProgramFiles% is just dumb. Storing data in %SysDrive%\ProgramData is supposed to be reserved for global settings and data, like cached asset downloads.

The right place to store it is of course, somewhere in My Documents. Looking in there I see a lot of titles do this right, including most of the indie titles I have installed.

• Ninja Foodstuff says:

Hahaha Microsoft Guidelines.

• fish99 says:

What’s wrong with Microsoft setting out save location guidelines? Most games follow them, it makes peoples lives easier, and it avoids the saves getting accidentally deleted. How can that be a bad thing?

• Deadfast says:

Not to mention saving crap in %ProgramFiles% forces you to reinvent the wheel when it comes to user account separation (if you can actually be bothered doing it in the first place) AND it requires the game to run under elevated priviledges for no real reason whatsoever.

• KenTWOu says:

Ubisoft already made user account separation. c7ddfbe-d92d-4270-8cf9-3493a81f0c2d folder is John Walker’s ciphered login name.

• Archonsod says:

Yeah, and I’m sure when Microsoft start following their own standards the rest of the industry might follow suit.

• El_Emmental says:

It’s like asking the Roman empire to follow the same rules everywhere, when it takes several weeks, hell, months, to communicates between cities/departments.

• The Random One says:

They named the save folder Orbital, to me they’re clearly taking the piss.

Llewyn says:

Be thankful. This is probably the only thing which stopped them being able to use GFWL as well as UPlay.

10. lucem770 says:

Just let me play my damn game! I bought it. It’s mine. Christ almighty. Sad state of affairs when you need to download cracks just to enjoy things you purchased.

• atticus says:

I’ve chosen to boycott Ubisoft after last Heroes of Might & Magic (or was is Might And Magic: Heroes? Or Heroes Might be Magic?) which included spending over two hours with installing the game, creating uplay-user, installing uplay, updating uplay, logging in three times, starting game, synching with cloud, aborting synching the second time because it took too damn long, losing savegames, raging and spitting.

I also ended up hating the game and didn’t play much of it, but I managed to acquire enough ubi-points to unlock two desktop backgrounds. And thus all grievances were forgotten.

Even without the always online-DRM, life’s too short to ubisoft.

PoulWrist says:

Games don’t belong to you anymore, they belong to the publisher while they see fit to let you have it. Some day, steam will swap to only giving you access for a limited time. Pay your 60$ and have access to MW9 for 2 months.

• El_Emmental says:

You never ever, ever, ever, ever… “owned” a game.

You always, always, owned a licence. A licence. A licence.

From the very first software in the 70s to 2012, not a single home-user ever “owned” a game.

The only difference with modern DRM is the fact that 2010s licences are now more restricted than before, with online connection and DRM requirements, but you’re still buying a licence.

A licence.

The fact that modern DRM can now enforce licences clauses much more easily doesn’t change a single THING to your legal ownership of the licence.

(fiction =>) Imagine that the 1994 licence of Doom said “Clause n° 3154: you shall never play the game with more than 5 people inside the room or near the monitor”, so you were breaching the contract whenever there was 6 (or more) people looking at the screen.

But id Software and the publisher wouldn’t be able to do anything back then, because they had no way to control that.

Fast-forward to 2030, more than 90% computers have built-in webcams with face recognition, the DRM, using the webcam, can now block the game if it detects more than 5 people facing the monitor.

The DRM might as well use the “personal tracking device” implanted on more than 80% of westerners.

The licence is still the same, the clause n°3154 is still the same, the clause regarding “software, code, tools, device, any material or process necessary to enforce the clauses of the contract shouldn’t be disabled, modified or rendered ineffective by any means and for any reasons, deemed valid or not” is still the same.

But the modern DRM now allow them to technically enforce (almost) everything mentionned in the end-user licence. Still the same, old, licence.

• D3xter says:

Stop spreading misinformation. When you buy a product at retail it belongs to you and you can do with it what you want, including resell it, take a dump in its package or use the discs as a frisbee.

EULAs and licenses aren’t laws and can’t forbid you from doing anything you have legal rights to do.
          Although you may not infringe on other laws ingrained within them, mainly based on copyright laws that forbid you from using the copy on more machines than you paid for, or making duplicate copies and selling them without the express authorization of the copyright holder.

They can’t forbid you to have 5 people watching or take a dump in the box, just as much as they can’t own your soul: http://www.bit-tech.net/news/gaming/2010/04/15/gamestation-we-own-your-soul/ as long as there isn’t legislative precedent for such.

drewski says:

It’s not “misinformation”. It’s accurate, if slightly incomplete.

You have complete and unrestricted control over the physical media you purchased. You do not, and never have, had complete and unrestricted control over the intellectual rights to the data ON the media you purchased. You, in addition to purchasing the physical media, also purchased a license to use the data which is stored on that media.

You can take a dump on the hard disk of the computer you downloaded your licensed data to if you want, but you don’t have the right to do anything you want with the data. Not from physical media, not from digital media. You’ve always been legally restricted by the terms of the license – where those terms comply with local laws, of course.

• D3xter says:

You have the same right to do anything you want to the data as long as it doesn’t contravene any specific laws, for instance Modding is allowed for the largest parts if it doesn’t modify any of the original program code (hardware/software Emulators are largely considered legal if they don’t contain any original program code), using cracks to circumvent copy protection mechanisms is still legal in parts of the world, it even falls under Fair Use in the US in some cases, although the EU Copyright Directive of 2001 has decreased the rights to much of that: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copyright_Directive

“Unlike Section 1201 of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act, which only prohibits circumvention of access control measures, the Copyright Directive also prohibits circumvention of copy protection measures, making it potentially more restrictive. In both the DMCA and the Copyright Directive, production, distribution etc. of equipment used to circumvent both access and copy-protection is prohibited. Under the DMCA, potential users who want to avail themselves of an alleged fair use privilege to crack copy protection (which is not prohibited) would have to do it themselves since no equipment would lawfully be marketed for that purpose. Under the Copyright Directive, this possibility would not be available since circumvention of copy protection is illegal.”

In Switzerland and the Netherlands even downloading (not uploading) copyrighted files (likes movies, music) for personal use is considered legal, no matter what any EULA says.

Again, an EULA or License Agreement isn’t a law you have to abide by under any circumstances, but large parts of them are based on existing laws. You absolutely DO NOT have to abide by clauses you aren’t legally obliged to. They can always (functionally) force you though, for instance by tying certain software products to Account Management systems or similar.

This doesn’t have anything to do with the state-granted Intellectual Property monopoly rights the original Copyright Holders have to be the sole seller of said software. Obviously you aren’t allowed to take their code/modify it and sell it on your own, but that’s not because of any EULA but because of copyright laws preventing you to do so.

Therefor it is wrong to say that you don’t “own” it, since you do but are restricted by these laws in what you are allowed to do with it.

• El_Emmental says:

Well, I think we used the different meanings the word “own” can have, from physical property, “consumer” property, to intellectual property.

My first message was answering to PoulWrist, who wrote:

Here, “games don’t belong to you anymore” was regarding the control you have over the game you purchased (at a retail store or online), with a physical copy or a digital one.

Fearing PoulWrist was misinterpretating the *recent* changes brought by DRM, like believing we were fully “owning” games before, I felt the need to remind him/her that games (sold in stores, retail or digital, that you can play on your own device) were always sold with a copy of the necessary data to run the game and a licence (EULA) to be legally allowed to use these data (with all the limits set by the licence).

That the main change wasn’t in the copy, or the licence, but the DRM.

_ PoulWrist is right regarding how we no longer “own”, in the actual pratical real world, our games: DRM are getting in the way.

_ I believe (and hope) I am somewhat right regarding how we never really “owned” our games, in the contract aspect. (Btw, thanks for the clarification drewski, my post needed it =) )

EDIT: I made the clear distinction between the EULA and the law in another comment on the next page, but forgot to add it in this one (sorry for the confusion it might have generated).

_ Then, D3xter is right regarding how we, to a certain extent, “own” the games we bought, at least since the new laws/cases appearing during the 2000s years.

The reason I favoured the contract aspect, over the actual real-world, or the legal one, is because:

– we can’t do much in the real-world (beside cracking the games we bought) without risking more issues (bugs due to the lack of patch, subtle anti-piracy measures, etc) and legal troubles

– it would take a tremendous amount of money (= tens of thousands of euros) and time (= years) to challenge an abusive EULA in courts, with a very uncertain result. You need to be backed by a state/consumer association to do that.
            => the publisher is right until proven wrong.

That being said, the most affordable (and thus, cost-efficient) way to regain rights over “our” games, is currently on the contract aspect (in my opinion).

If an EULA, through its DRM, force us to have a constant internet connection:

– waiting for a crack won’t prevent the next games to have the same DRM-requirement and might not work the first two weeks after release (if key elements of the game are server-side and encrypted)

– trying to gather enough funds, to start a lawsuit, who will take at least 5 years, and by then the always-on DRM will be removed on that game, and the publisher will say “it was a momentary issue for a very small minority of our consumers, that is necessary for our industry to stay competitive and save jobs”. Very unlikely to succeed.
            * Oh, and what if the company is based in a foreign country, where the consumer protection is nonexistent ?

– bitching about it on all video games news websites and forums, on Youtube, on Amazon rating/comments sections, on Metacritic, etc… will create a bad PR for the publisher and the game right on its launch week (and month), and might hurt the sales (since most of the sales happen during the first 3 weeks, bad PR located in that opportunity window *can* be meaningful for the publisher), forcing the publisher to think about it, and maybe, maybe, go easy on the DRM and remove/weaken (1 online check) it very rapidly after launch.

This is why I think the most pivotal aspect of the DRM issue is, right now, the End-User Licence Agreement.

Crackers can’t fix it all by themselves all the time, legislators and politics won’t take part in it until it becomes a major economical or political issue.

11. andytizer says:

I spent more than 3 hours trying to get Far Cry 3 to work on two machines – a i7-920 with a 560Ti and a laptop with a 6630M. Disregarding the stupid Uplay DRM, the game seemed to achieve a great framerate on both machines. However, on the 560Ti, it would crash immediately after the unskippable cutscene intro, and on the 6630M, it displayed very annoying artifacts everywhere.

If anyone finds other fixes and solutions to these problems please add them to the list.

• mf says:

You are running the latest nvidia beta 310.64 right?

• kataras says:

Have exactly the same desktop config as you and the game run fine from the beginning (patched manually). Only thing I need to get rid of is the mouse acceleration, it’s making me sick…

SCC says:

I’m running an an i7, Radeon 5770, Win7 rig and crashed playing the intro no fewer than 4 times before adding teh -offline switch to the (Steam) shortcut and switching from DX11 to DX9 via the in-game options.

Since then I’ve been able to play for an hour with no crashes and get past the bloody intro, might be worth a try if you haven’t gone offline and switched DX already…

12. downgrade says:

Had to switch to offline mode to play this morning. I will probably never play in online mode again. It seems to add nothing to the game after the special weapon and missions are unlocked with their funny ubi-point thingies.

13. Axess Denyd says:

After reading the Wot I Think, I preordered the game–first time I have done that in YEARS.

Somehow I have a feeling that when they get around to shipping it across the ocean next week, it will be even WORSE, since they will have the load from Europe, the UK, and the US to contend with.

Maybe someone will have a crack out for it by then.

• Not your average Druid says:

As usual, the pirated version gives a better service than the legit one. Good job, Ubisoft.

• Acinixys says:

According to TPB, the fully working cracked version was avaible yesterday at 3PM. So yes, a crack is avaible

• Maxheadroom says:

I haven’t pirated a game for YEARS, Nowadays actually being able to afford stuff and the convenience of steam makes it preferable to buy.

This is just hoop-jumping of ball aching proportions though. So I’ll be hitting the torrent sites tonight

Christian says:

And here I am, having thought I could buy a Ubisoft game again after them having dropped their stupid DRM.
    I even ordered the boxed Insane-edition for € 60,- (it’s got a bobble-head-figurine included, sounded fun ;) ). I really don’t care about it not being on Steam, it doesn’t use any of Steam’s features anyway..

Seems now like the only thing insane about it is ordering it in the first place?

SADFACE.

So..the package should arrive today..I guess I’ll just keep it unopened until the weekend and if it’s still unplayable until then I’ll just send it back.
    Shame on you UbiSoft..and I thought we could trust you again..

[edit]
    or, as Axess Denyd points out above, I’ll just download some shady crack to be able to play my game. OTOH, no…I’ll just send it back, vote with my wallet and stuff. And then pick it up during XMas-sale on Steam :p

• Axess Denyd says:

I’m starting to find cracks to be a lot less shady than the “legitimate” software.

15. Deadfast says:

Welp, nice to see Ubisoft’s DRM is still as stupid as ever. Shame, this game actually looked pretty interesting.

• Optimaximal says:

It’s *not* DRM.

• Narzhul says:

Uplay isn’t drm? What is it then? A cookie?

• Optimaximal says:

It’s a badly-conceived, under-resourced community & achievement tool that Ubisoft woefully under-estimated its demand for.

There’s no actual ‘Digital Rights Management’ going on though, unless you count the generally-accepted ‘give us a single-use CD-key to prove you haven’t pirated it’ model.

• downgrade says:

If it wasn’t DRM I could just give my copy to my brother so he could play too. But I can’t do that without giving him my UBI credentials. It’s as much DRM as Steam is.

• caddyB says:

Yeah we can see that.

• GallonOfAlan says:

I saw DRM punch a baby,

• Zogtee says:

Back in the day it was “It’s not a bug. It’s a feature”. Now it’s “It’s not DRM. It’s a service”.

• Deadfast says:

Oh, so how does one go about opting out of this “service” then?

• Archonsod says:

By selecting the mystical “offline mode” from the menu.

• Deadfast says:

Can I get to that mythical option without ever installing or registering on Uplay (because that’s what I consider “opting-out” to mean)?

16. MeestaNob says:

And yet THQ is the one going under.

Just stop making PC games Ubisoft, do us all a favour.

• Gorf says:

It wouldnt do me any favours.

Far Cry 1 was one of the games that got me back into PC gaming, and Ive enjoyed lots of their titles since.

17. lizzardborn says:

That is the reason why the DRM free Swedish versions of ubisoft games are so popular. You just click and play.

• El_Emmental says:

For a millisecond I thought Sweden had a law forcing publishers to provide DRM-less versions for their citizens, and was wondering why it wasn’t all over the gaming news websites already…

Nice one, totally fell for it ;)

18. luukdeman111 says:

It’s like ubisoft is promoting piracy here! I’d rather donate 50$ to ubisoft and then pirate the game than having to deal with that horrible uplay system.

19. Jason Moyer says:

I’m sure this will all be sorted by the time it’s actually released in my hemisphere.

20. Grimsterise says:

So, I had a look at Uplay. Two games in the whole site I might play (if they were on discount) Far Cry 3 and Arse Creed 3. I already have too many games to play and little time to do so. When Mass Effect 3 was released I found I would have had to install Origin, so I passed, even though I played the first two games and enjoyed them. I know we go on about Steam being a monopoly, which it is, but its a monopoly because it’s the best at what it does at the moment, like Google.

21. Grimsterise says:

Also, have a look at the free games on Uplay, the pathetic hopeless atmosphere makes our lives seem just a little better than they did.

Cross says:

I kinda wonder why nobody reported on the ubisoft servers for Assassin’s Creed 3 multiplayer being all but down for the first three to four days after release. now that they actually work, the whole thing is bloody desolate.

23. Zogtee says:

I’m not going to lie. I was going to buy this today, but now I’m tempted to get it from the Internet Library Service instead.

24. Acinixys says:

Thank you, SKIDROW, for letting me play my LEGITIMATELY BOUGHT game without Ubis bullshit cluttering up my gaming experience.

• mr.ioes says:

Skidrow never released anything for Far Cry 3, it’s Reloaded who made the game available for legitimate customers.

25. Coflash says:

Fucking idiots. I finally got the chance to play for a few hours too.

Xantonze says:

Pirate the game, and buy a key on one of those cheap online key sellers.
    You get to play quickly and without hassle, devs get paid. Not the best of both worlds, but a working solution I’ve been using with quite a few buggy games now.

…Of course, this doesn’t help with multiplayer.

• SanguineAngel says:

Couple of problems:
      You’re still breaking the rules/law (is that still up in the air?)
      Ubi still get paid and rewarded for their atrocious behaviour

Xantonze says:

Actually I was wandering: since you have a legit key, how are you breaking the law by using a (pirate) “copy”? Weren’t we supposed to have the right to use those as long as we “own” (is this still around?) the original game? :)

• SanguineAngel says:

Did that happen in the US? And was it just in a single case so it’s not legislation or anything? I’m not sure that would apply here. I have to admit that I’ve not been following it

Edit: Awfully presumptuous of me – assuming everyone lives in England like me! But wherever that happened, I’m not sure it’s been made legal or not

• Archonsod says:

It’s how you obtain it that would be the problem. If you’re torrenting it, you’re breaching the law on distributing due to the upload portion. In theory if you have a valid license (note not all the online key sellers are entirely legitimate in that regard) and you did nothing but leech (so no upload) what you are doing is technically perfectly legal. Wouldn’t expect it to stand up in court though.

• El_Emmental says:

You only own a licence to a very specific “copy” of the game.

nb: a breach of the licence agreement doesn’t mean it is automatically also a breach of law.

The publisher’s End-User Licence Agreement isn’t the law, it is a contract. The publisher might be able to ask for compensations for the licence breach though.

Important informations regarding the issue:

1) Key resellers are selling keys from other regions, such as Russia or Asia.

a – It is a breach of the licence agreement to use the licenced software (here, the game) outside of the licence region.

b – It is a breach of the licence agreement to circumvent the regional licencing and regional pricing. It might be legal to do that, even protected by the law (ex: in the European Union, it is not allowed to commercialy discriminate european citizens), but still a breach of the EULA (who needs to be ruled illegal to be invalidated).

c – For the reseller, it could be illegal to sell these keys, as it is selling goods (here, licences) without having the proper authorization from the rightsholder, endangering its business viability. It really depends on the rightsholder and the reseller legal-country, as the laws on that topic between countries vary a lot.

2) The key gives you an access to specific licence.

a – This licence is limited to a region, and doesn’t give you any right (regarding the EULA), or much right (regarding the law) to use that licence outside of its region.

b – Regarding the legal side, you could be held responsible if the bad faith is established (using a different licence and using it like another, more expensive licence, on purpose and with full-knowledge).
          However, if you couldn’t know these were different licences, no judge will punish you for that, especially since it is not clearly stated during the installation/purchase/publicly on the stores and publisher’s website.

“Weren’t we supposed to have the right to use those as long as we “own” (is this still around?) the original game? :)”
          It heavily depends on the country, and such solutions are very recent and not very stable. I wouldn’t rely on that, unless a law specified it or 3-4 cases (with your supreme court confirming it) already ruled in favour of that principle.

Car analogy ! :D
          => Think of “copies” as driving licences/permits, and the physical DVD or the files as a car lent by your company to drive around.

If you run a red light, speed or drunk drive, you might lose your driving licence. Same with breaches of EULA.

If you’ve got a driving licence for small cars in the UK, you can’t drive a truck (you need a driving licence for truck to do that), nor drive anywhere in the world you want (you need an international driving licence for that).
          Like when you have a Steam-DRM licence, you can’t use a DRM-less version, or when you have a Russia-region licence, you can’t use it in the US.

Stellar Duck says:

Aw. I was actually considering buying this. Thanks John, for giving me the heads up.

Not gonna reward this shit with my money. Strip Uplay and we can talk, Ubisoft.

28. Manac0r says:

Been playing since Wednesday, official legit copy. With no problems.

So servers were down on a major release, for a few hours,with the option to start in offline mode and continue playing… By gods this is breaking news., call CNN, FOX… get me the damn internet on the phone…

Slight hyperbole

• El_Emmental says:

You need more context.

Then, out of nowhere, meaningfulness !

29. mrmalodor says:

You clearly forgot to apply the crack.

30. brulleks says:

Very relieved I managed to get an hour’s worth of play last night in that case. I won’t have time to play again until Sunday, so hopefully they’ll have sorted this mess out by then.

It’s a ridiculous situation, and one so often repeated nowadays. I will never understand why any single-player game would need to force the player into being online. It has been proven, time and time again, to only lead to problems for the player, the publisher and the relationship between the two.

• Archonsod says:

Offline mode usually works fine, though like Steam if the game is trying to update when you force it down you end up with ye liveliest awfulness.

• brulleks says:

Can you use online saves with offline mode? That’s my one concern, having already activated it.

31. SanguineAngel says:

Well, hardly surprising but those sea-faring gamers out there are probably enjoying a 100% trouble free gaming experience.

• Prime says:

Arrr ye given away our secrets, m’lad?

• SanguineAngel says:

Y’aaaarrrr! Er… yes. I don’t condemn it myself though – in this case it seems like the sensible option!

32. SuperNashwanPower says:

I am UK based and pre-ordered from amazon. My game hasn’t shown up yet . Anyone know if the 30th is the day they get posted out, or are they meant to arrive ON the 30th?

ata says:

I also pre-ordered from Amazon, did you get your dispatch email from them? Mine dispatched Tuesday and I got it yesterday.

• The First Door says:

It should get to you on (or before) the release date! If not, then Royal Mail, the courier or Amazon have been a bit rubbish.

• SuperNashwanPower says:

I’m suspecting that my being in Scotland might have something to do with it :( Having said that I am playing dishonored at the mo so far cry would only have to wait

33. boe2 says:

Frankly? It’s your own fault.

You KNOW what you are getting into when you buy a Ubisoft game. The only right thing to do is to boycot them. I have not played Assassin’s creed, I have not played Far Cry 3, and I never will. The only way to get rid of this bullshit is by sending a clear message: “We will NOT tolerate this”. I am already doing so for years, but there are still way too many idiots buying this broken crap. STOP IT AT ONCE.

• SanguineAngel says:

Ah the silent protest. Suits some situations but not this one. Ubisoft will not notice the money you didn’t spend – a negative sale won’t register unless you buy it and get a refund from them. In the unlikely event that enough people boycott their games that they do notice their profit margins dip they are not likely to psychically know that those people are upset that Uplay stinks to high heaven. Most likely they’ll play the blame game, naming piracy or the economy or some other boogey man outside their immediate control.

No, I think the best way to get Ubisoft’s (or any other dev/publisher’s) attention is for many consumers and prominent journalists to complain loudly and kick up a fuss that they can’t ignore. Complain in public spaces and complain directly to them. Don’t just say it once and think job done but keep talking about it until a change comes. Ubi have been grudgingly giving ground on their policies for some time but it’s been baby steps and they need constant encouragement.

distantlurker says:

totally with you man. haven’t bought one in *years*.

i -will- buy FC3 however… when it’s out on steam ;)

• SuperNashwanPower says:

@ boe
      Have sex with someone.
      That’s an order.

34. OJ says:

I just bought this from Game for £27.99.

I haven’t checked what it is on Steam but thought it was worth letting you know as I thought this was pretty good value for the full packaged product. And no long download.

35. Prime says:

Boycott!

No, just kidding. I only said that to wind up anyone here who bursts into flames at the slightest mention of the word ‘boycotts’. My bad. :)

On the other hand, I have been having a terrible time recently with Get Fucked Windows Live (GFWL, for short) which has renewed my boiling, passionate hatred of ALL clients that attempt to get between you and your game. Origin and UPlay have no fucking hope of getting onto my PC because Impulse, GFWL and Steam still chafe at me like the tightest, ugliest tie in the world.

I don’t care that I’m denying myself one or two interesting titles, such as Mass Effect 3. I just want hand-holding client-based gaming to die in a fucking fire. I’m sick of resolving issues with them, usually down to dropped connections but GFWL pulled a blinder the other day when it refused to start for Batman: Arkham City after I upgraded to Windows 8 (now solved). I’m also sick of waiting to play a game because Steam has a 2Gb update that MUST BE INSTALLED THIS SECOND. Fuck game clients. They’re just not worth the extra hassle. Grrr.

36. Lemming says:

Call me cynical, but I see this as a pointless article, because once you do get into the game, you, like many journalists before you, will suddenly forget all the bullshit you had to go through and give it a glowing review instead of doing the right thing and making a stand against it to hurt sales.

I’m not having a go at you personally, and I love this site, but let’s not pretend for one minute you are any different from the rest of the gaming community. This is why Uplay, Battle.net and the rest will win.

From the start, games journalists should be reflecting these issues in reviews/review scores, or simply refusing to review it. But they don’t.

• SanguineAngel says:

Yep, I definitely agree with you – although journalists should never refuse to review it I think these things should feature in reviews.

However, this is by no means a pointless article. RPS is a pretty prominent site these days and the things they say tend to get seen and be taken reasonably seriously within the industry as far as I can see. Even if they were a marginal site, talking about these things is a good thing to do because it keeps the conversation alive and when journalists participate lends the conversation credibility so that the industry or the specific companies or individuals involved will hopefully eventually listen

• Archonsod says:

Issues with a client aren’t necessarily true for everyone though. I’ve certainly not had any issues with Uplay, at least no more than I usually get from Steam or Origin. So about the only accurate thing you could do is mention if a game is tied to a particular client (which RPS already do in most cases).

Then you’ve got games which aren’t linked but are available from multiple distributors. Is the reviewer supposed to obtain and play a copy of the game from every possible distributor in order to determine if the Steam copy has problems, the Gamersgate one works fine while the GMG release could give you issues if your name begins with a T?

• Optimaximal says:

Jim reviewed the game, he didn’t have the issues. John bought the game, he has issues, because a server has fallen over due to demand.

• gravity_spoon says:

Was the offline mode tested in “Wot I Think” or did the reviewer try to switch off his internet and then try the game in forced offline mode ? I don’t think so. This should have been done to warn people about it, instead of raining praises down upon it.

• Optimaximal says:

Jim tested the game how it was *meant* to be played. I don’t think any games reviewers, be they on a PC, a console or a mobile phone, explicitly test every review in ‘airplane mode’.

• gravity_spoon says:

Keep telling yourselves that and shit like this will happen again and again. Jim slipped up obviously when he was fawning all over how “open world” FC3 is. Guys we are talking about Ubi here. They have been known to treat us like shit and now a month back when they decided to drop the UPlay from older games, are we supposed to believe that they became saints overnight ? Testing and offline mode should have been one of the priorities of Jim and RPS reviewers given their anti-DRM stance. FFS, even they knew that UPlay was needed to use some of the features of this game.

• Archonsod says:

Shit like what precisely? As I said, I haven’t had any issues with U-Play.

Naum says:

I’d like journalists to stay balanced in their opinions and not boycott a game because of relatively minor technical difficulties. There’s no real doubt that UPlay is flawed, even conceptually bad, but it’s not The Worst Thing The Internet Has Ever Seen (which would be GFWL). The particular problem mentioned in this article can apparently be solved by creating a shortcut with custom command line options. It’s still frustrating and unnecessary, but compared to all sorts of other difficulties that games have a tendency to suffer from, that’s a fairly simple workaround.

37. I Got Pineapples says:

It was kind of annoying and i was frustrated.

Then I switched to offline mode and it stopped happening.

So that was pretty much that story.

On a side note, I’ve been pretty impressed with some of the VA performances in this game.

Phinor says:

Hey gang, I tried the multiplayer yesterday. Here’s my thoughts:

The P2P/lobby system is simply broken, no two ways about it. Nine times out of ten the lobby is stuck waiting for 1 more player even if there’s already 16 players in the lobbby. You can wait as long as you want to, it will never start a game.

When I got into a match, the latency was a bit of a factor. Couple of times I snuck behind some guy and emptied literally my whole clip of whatever assault rifle it was, and nothing happened to the guy. Not much of a shooter if nothing happens to enemies when you shoot them! Some 5-10 minutes into the match I once again died and instead of respawning as you would expect one to, I respawned and IMMEDIATELY died again. Weird, I wondered. Then I respawned once more and again IMMEDIATELY died. This loop kept going on until about 30 deaths at which point the game crashed. Is this the multiplayer they advertised?

I tried the multiplayer again a bit later but this time I’m not sure if I ever actually connected to a lobby because my name wasn’t on the player list even though the lobby menu opened just fine. I was an invisible player. Perhaps I was the one everyone kept waiting in the first place?

So based on an hour of testing, the multiplayer is so broken that you literally can’t play it most of the time. At least we got rid of those useless dedicated servers!

• gravity_spoon says:

In that particular article I mentioned this in comments section. If any game is going to have a matchmaking system like MW2 (or CoD games do), it is going to be a pain in the ass for customers. Everything you have stated here has happened to me in MW2 multiplayer. Apparently matchmaking services are no good ?

39. Baal_Sagoth says:

Pretty spot on. It’s a damn shame too since I’m really all for some serious competition for Steam. It might be temporarily inconvenient to have to mess with several services of its kind but in the long run a decisive winner of distributing games (and potentially software) online can’t be good for customers even if the company has many right ideas and doesn’t really seem to abuse its monopoly as of yet.
    I guess I’ll have to observe the FC3 situation for quite a while before reconsidering a purchase.

40. Lolmasaurus says:

I, in my wisdom, changed ubi’s uplay macguffin to offline as soon as it finished installing. Playing without a hitch on an i5 and 560-ti and really enjoying the game.

41. Advanced Assault Hippo says:

Reminds me of Steam deleting all my Borderlands 2 saves last month.

Uplay, Steam, Origin, etc are all the same. They all carry these risks. But then the PC gaming community has meekly bowed down to these things over the years and it’s now the way things are. We now have to put up with it.

• Archonsod says:

Or y’know, it could be we are happy to use such services because they still offer better service, value and convenience than brick and mortar retail.

• Advanced Assault Hippo says:

Yeah, that’s fine. But at the same time just don’t complain when online-related issues occur which don’t occur with non-DRM/online activation games. It’s the nature of the beast – a beast which has now been accepted by the gaming community at large.

It stands to reason you’ll occasionally have issues like this.

• Archonsod says:

I don’t complain. I go and play one of the hundreds of other games not dependent on that service.

• Advanced Assault Hippo says:

Well, obviously I’m referring to the situation in a broad, general sense – not necessarily you individually.

The gradual acceptance over the years of Steam and other online providers by the PC gaming community at large (including leading websites like RPS) has partially resulted in what’s now become the norm. An acceptance that it’s sort of okay. It’s ‘the way it is now’.

And, as I’m sure you agree, the same large group will also have to accept all the potential drawbacks that go with that. It’s pretty much futile to moan about some glitchy servers in one article and profess love (or at the very least a very warm affection and approval) for another online-DRM service like Steam in various others.

Anything that connects to something remotely as part of the process will have issues from time to time. What happened to Uplay in this release is no worse than Steam deleting my Borderlands 2 saves recently. Both equally messed up my experience purely because both games were tied to online systems that failed. It’s all under the same umbrella.

42. remoteDefecator says:

As a gamer, my desire to play games generally trumps my resentment toward a publisher for their shitty customer service. If there’s a game I’m stoked about, I’d buy it even if it were published by Hitler and Satan. But when it comes to games that I find mildly to moderately interesting, which includes Far Cry 3 and most other games, things like “the fact that it’s published by Ubisoft” will definitely make me spend my money elsewhere.

43. Roz says:

Oh well, Thank you Skidrow!

44. derbefrier says:

lol and you were all so happy you were getting a game before the US for once. Now you know our curse…

45. Basilicus says:

The most important part of using UPlay is to MAKE SURE YOU TURN OFF SYNCHING SAVEGAMES WITH THE CLOUD. You can do this in the settings.

Synching with the cloud will result in occasional overwrites of your hard drive saves with cloud saves that are days old, meaning you will lose hours of progression and be unable to ever get them back. Ubi still hasn’t fixed this, and the benefits aren’t worth that single drawback.

46. NicoTn says:

I cracked my legal version when the servers went down, im not dealing with this shit after buying a 60 euro game.

47. Squirm says:

Well, you could go through all of that like some sort of easily satiated sheep (after all, you spent money on something without understanding it’s limitations) or you could have pirated it first, figured out if you liked the game as it was intended. Got a good play session out of it, and then bought it after ubishit got their act together.

P.s the ending was pretty good, for a game

• Archonsod says:

Yes, but then I have reservations about being a complete cock.

48. KenTWOu says:

Even Steam lets you run a game directly from a shortcut.

It doesn’t! It runs Steam and then runs the game. Uplay has the same functionality.

• Bhazor says:

Thank you!

As someone who couldn’t play any Steam games on the train due to a broken offline mode I can testify to that.

• Lemming says:

It does, but it depends on the game. All Steamworks games, for instance, will launch Steam regardless.

• KenTWOu says:

So it does it very rarely for very old games? Yeah, that’s very useful! And even if you create desktop shortcut for such non-Steamworks games via Steam menu, it creates special shortcut which runs Steam and then runs the game! That’s very useful too!

49. malkav11 says:

Here I was thinking the game came out in December, and now I discover it’s apparently launching today.

Except, no, it’s coming out in December. The 4th, specifically. Apparently for once it’s taking four extra days to ship the bits across the ocean to America instead of the other direction.

50. L3TUC3 says:

AMD’s been giving away farcry 3 with purchase of select videocards. It also has a 20% discount for MOH:W, which I mistook for another freebie (oh well).

It’s a pretty slick deal save that one is a uplay download and the other origin. I don’t want either. I might try uplay (cant beat a free) but I’d much rather have a steam key.