Less Magick, More Muscle: Arrowhead’s Showdown Effect

By Alec Meer on December 18th, 2012 at 7:00 pm.

You are not sending me to the cooler

The last we heard of The Showdown Effect, the new side-scrolling and cartoony shootybangbang game from the makers of the reliably silly Magicka, was back in April. Now, it’s spooling up its beta-testing mini-gun, and hopes to lure in passers-by by revelling shamelessly in as many action movie cliches as it can conjure up. CONJURE LIKE IN MAGICKA.

Here’s yon footage of a man with nothing to lose, an outlaw, a renegade, roaming the badlands, one day from retirement, etc:

If you’re interested in the beta, you should get yourself over here and sign up. And apparently “if you get 3 friends to sign up using your referral URL, you will get guaranteed access to the beta.” WITCHCRAFT.

Later today (oh man, I should be specific – at 7pm GMT / 11am PST) there’ll also be Twitch.tv livestream of the game up. Go here to watch that, if you like.

Here’s some earlier footage with dev commentary too, in case you’re having a dither:

, , , .

1. MrTambourineMan says:

Seems fun I guess. If anyone wants to know what engine it uses, it’s Bitsquid engine same as used in War of the Roses (I overheard that in live stream on twitch.tv).

• gravity_spoon says:

Doesn’t that belong to Fatshark who also made Krater ?

• LimEJET says:

So it does, however both Fatshark and Arrowhead are offsprings of Swedish student projects. The guys probably know each other.

• Zarx says:

Bitsquid is a sister company to Fatshark, they were both founded by the same people. But the Bitsquid engine is open to licensing by other studios.

• bonniebova6 says:

My mothers neighbour is working part time and averaging $7000 a month. I’m a single mum and just got my first paycheck for $5532! I still can’t believe it. I tried it out cause I got really desperate and now I couldn’t be happier. Heres what I do..See More

• forex broker says:

With the majority of forex traders using online forex brokers today, it is crucial that your forex broker has the capability to provide you with service whenever the forex market is open.

2. Revolving Ocelot says:

If we’re going on Magicka puns, the end of the article should have had a “Now go! BLEEEEEEE!”.

3. boe2 says:

I like it, it has sort of a Viewtiful Joe feel to it.

4. Crainey says:

Oh wow that was odd. I was doing my thing flicking through sites and spotted this on the front page of TwitchTV (On Paradox Interactive) and said “Oh wow this game looks good” then refreshed RPS and saw this post, convenient.

Watching now and the game looks very interesting, similar concept to Cobalt which Mojang is publishing, but with a very different visual style. Visually it’s like TF2, and the gameplay is a lot faster than Cobalt. Lots of platforming. Looks like a lot of fun. LET ME IN THE BETA!

5. MrLebanon says:

I would like to send my referral URL to 3 friends… if Paradox would give me a referral URL that would be no problem

bear912 says:

I feel sort of dirty doing this, but…

If anyone feels like using my referral link, feel free. If you don’t want to, you don’t need to. I have other friends I can bother besides you guys, as great as you are. If this really is a dirty thing to do, feel free to shun and scold me. You can also block me for life, if you choose, but that would profoundly sadden me.

• Cuddlefish says:

Was planning on signing up anyway so I decided to hit your link. After I confirmed I discovered what that was for – I can believe they’re stringing people along with the promise of beta access to form some gigantic link-spamming network. Not classy, Paradox. Not classy at all.

7. Epsz says:

This is my referral link if anyone wants to help me with that.

Looks very pretty.

8. gjrud says:

I can’t wait to play this game, if it’s as fun as a faction of Magicka it will be awesome. here is my referral link

9. wodin says:

Wish it had a single player mode..

• sinister agent says:

Ugh, me too. This looked really fun, and I’d have an eye on it already if it were single-player. Properly, too, not just having it stapled on for the sake of it. Sadface.

10. Phasma Felis says:

I kind of love how the dev commentary pronounces Super Smash Bros. as “Smash Bruce”.

I kinda want to play Smash Bruce now.

11. The Random One says:

Looks slick, as I’d expect from the Magicka guys.

But my favourite thing is how the ‘cop one day from retirement’ is thirty at most. Maybe he got out on disability?

12. haleha says:

Twilight Turtle Sky Star Night Light Music Projector Stars Constellation Lamp Hot Christmas Gift Birthday Gift for Kids
    so perfect, so amazing!

Johnny Go-Time says:

AHHHHahaha “Fight to the death…Or die trying.”

Genius.