The Sky’s The Limit: Guns Of Icarus Trailer, Linux Support

By Jim Rossignol on February 25th, 2013 at 8:00 am.

There are two airship combat games cruising the skies of our attention right now, and the most beautiful of the two is undoubtedly the spectacular Guns of Icarus Online, which has been out for a few months now. Muse Games have sent over their latest trailer (you can see that below) along with word that they’re now supporting Linux.

I’ve played a few hours of this, but not yet enough to give a verdict. Anyone else playing it?

, .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. Iskariot says:

I would love a game like this with a cool single player story line in a huge open world.
    As this is online multi player only I am not interested at all.

• wodin says:

^^ I agree with him.

• F3ck says:

Indeed.

I spend my entire day concealing my misanthropy, the last thing I want is other people in my games.

I’d gladly take part in a beautiful game like this, just so long as I’m the lone despicable human in it.

• Pryde says:

Oh, well, on the positive side – you can KILL other people when they are in your game.

• JabbleWok says:

It does look like good fun and the sort of game I’d give a go, just not as a MMO. If they produce a decent SP version, I’m in.

• Safewood says:

Pretty sure this is a multiplayer arena deathmatch game and not an MMO.

Continuity says:

MMO style is an ambition they have and the game might expand into that (not likely with the current number of people playing it) but the game at the moment is multiplayer arena, death match, team death match, resource race (capture and hold).

Continuity says:

Oh you mean like the single player game they already made that flopped hard? Trust me, the only merit in this style of game is multiplayer ship to ship battles. I’ve played quite a bit of it and its good for what it is, there’s certainly not much else like it.

• Iskariot says:

I don’t agree at all.
        Imagine a TES like world with this kind of gameplay added to it.
        I bet it would be a huge success.

• JabbleWok says:

If done well. This would be a wonderful dimension to a TES-like world, but there’d need to be all the rest too. Or at least enough of it to make it a convincing world. Then again, I wanted armed, steerable stilt striders and ships too, as well as what was already there.

• musehoward says:

Thanks a lot! And yeah the original Guns of Icarus wasn’t the greatest. Four of us took 5-6months to work on the game, and we took on more than we should have. We learned a lot from it. The game surprisingly did well for us, and we got a lot of great feedback. Thanks again!

• musehoward says:

Hi everyone, I’m Howard from Muse, the dev of Guns of Icarus Online. Thanks for the comments. A more expansive world with trade, factions, towns, and pve/co-op missions is definitely something we’ve dreamed about and want to make happen.

JR says:

Grab yourself a few friends, some drinks, and an encyclopedia of star trek/ master and commander references and you have yourself a night.

• hewhosayszonk says:

I have to admit I have yelled “BEAT TO QUARTERS!!” over teamspeak a few times when spotting an enemy airship in the distant clouds. It’s good fun. I wish that the ship customisation gave you a better idea of the firing arcs of each gun position. And in my heart of hearts I want to be commanding a 78-gun airship-of-the-line in an open world, so a measly 3 – 6 gun positions doesn’t quite scratch the itch. It’s beautiful and silly-fun though!

RPSians, are there any games like Silent Hunter that cover the 18th century which are worth checking out?

• GernauMorat says:

This. Let me play as Aubrey cruising the Mediterranean on the lookout for prizes, managing my crew and taking part in the odd cutting out.

Someone make this game and you can have all the money.

Lord Custard Smingleigh says:

Handsomely now! Handsomely! Hands to the mizzen, stand to! Now heave ’round the warping head. Bad airship thingy at the pointy end!

3. Jamesworkshop says:

Oswald Fiddlebender approves

4. crinkles esq. says:

The impact of the Serious Music and the poetry of airships maneuvering about is somewhat lessened by the scenes of men banging on cannons with wrenches.

Is there an airship game with a more considered pace? And I agree with the above comments; would love an open-world RPG version of this.

5. mickygor says:

For what it’s worth, during the kickstarter campaign there were mutterings of an ambition to turn it into an open-world affair.

6. Ninja Foodstuff says:

not yet enough to give a verdict. Anyone else playing it?

Well since you asked, here’s my review, although I’ve not had another look at it since it launched. TL;DR: lots of potential, best with friends.

7. MayhemMike says:

This game is really tough on new players. You need a lot of skill and knowledge about the game to be of use on board of a ship otherwise chances are high that you will ruin the game for everyone else.

Would be great if they had bots to practice with.

And on a sidenote:
    The game costs around 20€ but if you want to customize your character you have to buy separate items from the ingame store (one full set, clothes + hat + goggles ~ 8€) :-/

• Axyl says:

Microtransactions? I’m out..

• musehoward says:

Yeah we need to do more to teach new players. We’ve improved practice and tutorial so there are more things you can do and have added a manual, In practice, you can now cause fire and damage so you can repair, but we need to do more. It’s our top priority and we do need to improve.

With the in game store, I just want to mention that the items are only cosmetic. All the gameplay and balance related things are available to a player. And with the store, I totally understand. It was a tough decision for us to include it. We wanted to offer customization for you because quite a few people asked for it. But we are small and we try to take a lot of care into crafting each costume, and a costume can take up to a month of someone’s time, either ours or some indie artists that we contract with. It’s more of a labor of love for us, and we do charge for it to cover our costs, and that is about it. We also try to take opportunities to gift the items that we create to players. We have play the devs times twice a week during our lunch, and if people beat us, they can get an item in game, and people usually beat us :)

Thanks a lot!

8. TheMick says:

Can you wear hats of the bi- and tri- corn variety? if so I’m already sold.

The resting of feet on the gunwale is not necessary butwould be terrific.

• Axelius says:

There is a tricorn hat that can be unlocked… by paying a couple of bucks. The micro transaction system is the only thing that really bothers me. I have spent twenty hours playing the game this weekend (mostly with some clanmates over TS3) and I have so far unlocked two haircuts (out of a selection of six, three for each gendered avatar) and a pair of goggles (only useable with a male avatar). I guess to unlock any clothes or hats I’m gonna have to advance up my rank a considerable amount, and get to choose from maybe four or so.

EDIT: Actually, it seems the Tricorn is unlocked either from start or playing, but most hats you need to pay for.

• TheMick says:

Think you’ll stick with it? Im on the verge of buying the 4 pack and handing the extras to 3 friends that I know might be into it, whatever rough spots the game has it sounds like coopp with buddies is a blast.

• Axelius says:

It is defenitely a blast, one of the best co-op games I’ve played. If you have a solid group of people to play with you can do some really funny stuff. My clanmate actually caught a long 45minute battle on video of all four of us being on the same ship this weekend http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjiru2fhDVg
          The match setup isn’t perfect though and sometimes it can be tricky to get everyone on the same boat if you try and join an already partially filled game. Playing alone is also kinda hit and miss. The ingame voip works great, but not everyone uses it, and some ship configuration really needs a team to work..

• musehoward says:

@Axelius, thanks a lot! We’re working on crew formation that will allow you to better preform your team before a match. We had a version of it before, but didn’t like it, so we tore it down to build a better system. And sorry about the store. If you have time, play with us Tuesdays and Thursdays. We give out costumes if people beat us (and trust me you’ll beat us…).

9. dskzero says:

Wow I remember playing the beta 3 or 4 years ago I think. It was good but there was no one playing back then.

• musehoward says:

Thanks dskzero. I think you played the original Guns of Icarus game, which is a different game from the current Guns of Icarus Online. It was really the first game we made, and it wasn’t the greatest. It was mostly a single player game, with a co-op feature that really shouldn’t have been included in the game. With this game, we’re tried to take the lessons we learned and improve. We have a lot more work to do, but we’re trying to do better. Thanks!

10. musehoward says:

Hi Jim, thanks so much for the post!!

11. treetrunk says:

We also did a livestream of Guns of Icarus Online…fun as hell.