Going On The Defensive: Sanctum 2′s First Trailer

By Nathan Grayson on March 23rd, 2013 at 3:00 pm.

Ruh-ruh-ruh-ruh-roh, Raggy.

Sanctum 2, the follow-up to Coffee Stain Studios’ first-person tower defense titan, has been a known quantity for quite some time now – at least, insofar as we know that we know very little about how it all comes together. Sure, Coffee Stain’s been running a rather expansive dev blog, but games are sometimes known for their gameplay. Or so I have heard. But enough hearing; let’s see some things. What kind of things, you ask? How about guns, giblets, jump pads, bug mechs, four-player co-op, and several-hundred thousand graphics? The break beckons. Do not deny it. It becomes dangerously aggressive when spurned.

So basically, it looks like Sanctum, but more and better. Which, honestly, isn’t a problem in my book, given that the original already displayed fairly adept mastery over its particular brand of first-person tower defending. Plus, some of the smaller additions sound like they could actually turn out quite huge. Case in point:

“Sanctum 1 was an awesome game, but many players felt that they wanted more ways to customize their characters and playstyle. We have added a perk system in Sanctum 2, but we want perks to be more than just a slight boost to your damage output.”

“To illustrate an example, there is one perk that doubles your clip size and rate of fire. Combine this with the Adrenaline Rush perk that increases your movement speed every time your shots hit an enemy, and throw in the Rymdskor perk that allows you to double-jump and do damage to enemies you land on and you’ll be a lightning-fast, bouncing & shooting ball of doom!”

Also very high on my “hmmm, harumph, ah yes, oh indeed, but then what of the geopolitical ramifications” list: truly aggressive enemies, bosses that will apparently turn us into goo, modifiers to make levels more difficult, and heaps of new tower types.

Color me reasonably excited. The original Sanctum was magnificent, and the sequel sounds like it’ll keep me occupied for at least several thousand years. That’s good news, as I didn’t have anything planned for that time period anyway. It’ll be out later this year. Thoughts? Criticisms? Coffee stains shaped eerily similar to a game character/religious figure?

__________________

« | »

, .

1. Artificial says:

Sanctum was great. Just hope it doesn’t become over complex with too many additional little things added in just for the sake of differentiating itself from the original.

• Wang Tang says:

Btw, could we not have a simple filter using rules for such posts? Or even tap into the “crowd resources” with a simpe “SPAM” button. Maybe one of these fancy odd-one-out image moving captchas?

These bots start to get on my nerves lately…

• zul says:

Tell me about it. It’s like every 3rd post is spam. Didn’t they invent filters for this stuff like, four centuries ago?

• Super Oxymoron Girl says:

Are you implying that this is not, in fact, Meryl Streep gracing the comment section? I woz like realie?

2. Wang Tang says:

Sanktum became quite tedious after a short while, because shooting the mobs really didn’t seem to have much effect. I hope they improved that part of the game.

• Lord Custard Smingleigh says:

I concur. I felt that the first-person weapons lacked heft in comparison to the toughness of the enemies. It is my opinion that Orcs Must Die trod that line much more elegantly, giving you turrets and traps of just sufficient lethality to deal with most of the enemies, and punchy enough weapons to deal with the lucky ones who got through without feeling like you’re trying to kill them with a can of Silly String.

• LionsPhil says:

Yeah, past the first few waves the only thing that still had any effect was the freeze gun, and everything else might as well have been loaded with confetti.

Except for rocket jumping with the REX, of course. Good times.

Bit alarmed to see bits of the maze being smashed. That could make waves pretty ruinous to your bank balance, and rather irritating overall. Also interesting that it looks like the mobs are just wandering loosely wherever, rather than following the pretty orange dashed line you restricted them to.

• phantam says:

Personally, I kind of liked the weapons, once you popped in a few upgrades they cut enemies down faster than most turrets, leaving the turrets mostly harmless.
        Also, I like how it seems like enemies will actually attack you now, instead of blindly following the orange path and giving you a seizure on contact. Hopefully they can even kill you this time. The inclusion of maze destroying monsters looks like teleporters might be more important this time. Overall it looks like a massive improvement over the original.

3. CaspianRoach says:

Male characters? In MY SANCTUM? Do not want!

• LionsPhil says:

I can’t determine if the spindly robot thing has a little fuzzy pilot sat in the head or it that’s just technology, because bloom and tired eyes.

4. Veeskers says:

I wonder if this one is going to release with 5 maps and then sell the rest seperately.

5. scut says:

Sanctum 1 was made with Unity, right? Can anyone tell me if Sanctum 2 is also made with Unity?

6. bleeters says:

Yes, but do the aliens still dance in top hats when you lose?

My interest lives and dies on this information.

7. chargen says:

Hoping for split screen co-op this time *fingers and toes crossed*

8. skalpadda says:

Bonus point for naming a double jump perk “Rymdskor”.

9. Gap Gen says:

The geopolitical ramifications are grave indeed. I predict that this shall have a tiny impact on the Syrian civil war. Like, a very tiny one.

10. Crate says:

ThemusicattheendwasthesameasattheendofHalf-life2episodetwosothatmeansthatHalf-life2episodethreeisgoingtobereleasedsoonintrailerformI’msoexcitedaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

11. Cross says:

If Apple was a weapons manufacturer…

• Seraph says:

Please, everyone knows Aperture Science handles all of Apple’s DOD contracts.