BioShock Infinite: A Few Essential Tweaks

By Craig Pearson on March 27th, 2013 at 11:00 am.

Hello down there. My FOV is now this big.
Hello. I am not at GDC, but I am at my desk with my lips on the RPS post horn, and I’m prepared to blow. My first honk on the Grand Parper of Postage today concerns my first few moments in BioShock Infinite. All those intro videos, that squeezed FOV, and an overly sensitive mouse . I’m used to having to drop out of games so I can go INI file wrestling, and Levine’s latest is no exception. I’ve been forum lurking and come up with a few fixes for the most common issues.

All the INI files are found in this folder.

Yourname\My Documents\My Games\BioShock Infinite\XGame\Config\

Make sure you edit them in something like Notepad++, to make you feel all cool and hackery. If you mess up, all you need to do is delete the whole file. The game will generate a new, default one when it next loads up.

FOV
There is an FOV slider in the menu screen, but it’s capped off at 85 degrees. I’m a 95-110 kind of guy. I have no reasoning for this, other than a love for Kubrick movies. That slider’s function can be altered easily enough.

The file you’ll want to alter is XUserOptions.

CTRL-F to find MaxUserFOVOffsetPercent=15.000000 and change the value to something higher. It works on percentages, so 28.570000 would mean the maximum the slider goes to is 90 degrees. I’d whack it to 40, or higher, because it alters the top end of in-game FOV slider. In-game, adjust the slider until you’re comfortable.

Disable Intro Vids
I don’t dislike AMD, 2k, or any of the other fine companies represented in the opening videos, but I don’t like them enough to want to hear about them all the time. Begone!

Open the XEngine.ini. CTRL-F to [FullScreenMovie].

These lines are scattered within.

StartupMovies=2KLogoSweep720p2997
StartupMovies=IrrationalLogoTest
StartupMovies=UE3AnimatedLogo_ProRes
StartupMovies=AMDLogo720p

Change them to

;StartupMovies=2KLogoSweep720p2997
;StartupMovies=IrrationalLogoTest
;StartupMovies=UE3AnimatedLogo_ProRes
;StartupMovies=AMDLogo720p

And the intrusive adverts are BioGone.

Mouse Sensitivity Slider
If your mouse is particularly sensitive, the ranges of the sensitivity slider might too wide for you to subtly alter.

These fixes are for XUserOptions.

CTRL-F: MinMouseLookSensitivity. It’ll be at 0.100000. Change it to about 0.05. Below it MaxMouseLookSensitivity is at 4.000000. Change the higher value to something lower. Aim for 1.0, but you can go up or down to help with the range.

Enable 1999 mode right away.

The hardest game mode is hidden away, waiting for you to complete the game. If you feel like you want a challenge right way, here’s how.

No INI hacking. On the main menu press: Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, Esc, Enter.

I spent all night looking for these, but it turns out PCGamingWIKI has them and a few more besides. I’ve not tried the others.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. Baka says:

Now to find a way to fix the constant desktop crashing!

• Craig Pearson says:

I can’t help you with that :(

• Snidesworth says:

I’ve only experienced that once (though it was my own fault), but it hammered home just how far apart those checkpoints are. I lost a good 20+ minutes of play, so I’m guessing that constant crashes makes the game even more unplayable than any other crash-prone one.

• SuperNashwanPower says:

I’ve actually shelved playing it for now until someone mods in a save game thingie. Even Dark Souls would let you save your current character state and position when you quit, it didn’t erase the last 15 minutes of gameplay (apart from maybe repopulating minor enemies). Really cannot understand why Irrational have done it.

• AngoraFish says:

I’m about to go to bed 30 minutes too late because of my inability to save as I go.

If I dare to try to squeeze half an hour in between nappy changes… well, that’s simply not going to work.

• TheTingler says:

It’s mostly because there is no actual fear of death at any point, as the Bioshock Infinite version of Vita-Chambers replace the need to quicksave without making things too easy (as they did in Bioshock).

The problem comes with crashing, or on consoles, exiting your game. That’s when the rub comes in.

• luukdeman111 says:

that’s not just on console… you can’t save when you quit… like seriously… you can’t…..

The game is one of the best I’ve played in a pretty long time but THAT is just stupid!

• Snidesworth says:

I think they did it because you can’t truly die, in keeping Bioshock style, but also so your decisions have permanence. I’ve come across three such moments so far and at least two of them have notable consequences. That said they should really make checkpointing more frequent; just make sure an autosave takes place after every decision and that permanence will be preserved while also making crashes less disastrous.

• aepervius says:

The check point system is really unny and allow for cheating too. I was near a check point at shanty town, when you have a convo with elisabeth about her in the lift.

Right after that I went to go get some money and was accused of stealing. No problem, I reloaded from check point…. and I had more money. And then I was accused of stealing… when I did not such. Reloaded . Every time I looted and reloaded I *still* had more money.

It might be a local bug to shanty town though, because on some other point reloading from check point still left me back to what amount I had before.

• Lone Gunman says:

I don’t always notice the auto save symbol flashing leaving me no idea of when it last saved :/

• Durandir says:

But you don’t really need to notice that though, as when you chose “quit to menu” it tells you the exact time and date for your last autosave. And so far it seems the checkpoints are all over the place. Granted, I have only gotten to play for about three hours or so… Damn work taking up all my time.

• povu says:

Wouldn’t hurt updating to the latest AMD/Nvidia graphics drivers.

• SuicideKing says:

Update drivers. Nvidia released new ones for Bioshock yesterday. 314.22 WHQL.

• Diziet Sma says:

Can you provide any more info, hardware etc? I’ve not had a crash yet, using an AMD card.

• gskspurs says:

I had a crashing issue, every 10-20mins, the game would just crash.
      It seems it was linked to the AMD Catalyst Overdrive Overclocking. So if you have an AMD graphics card, check the overdrive setting in the catalyst control center and turn it off!

• EmirSc says:

Desktop Crash solution: go to your sound device, and in the record tab, right click on empty space “enable disconected devices” and enable the new device that appears stereo mix

2. kraken says:

Just wanted to point out that FOV is not a percentage.
    It’s the angle of your field of vision. Unit is degree (°).

• Craig Pearson says:

Yeah, I confused myself because the numbers you change to alter the FOV are percentages.

• Milky1985 says:

FOV isn’t in percentages correct, but the setting doesn’t control FoV directly it controls the effect the slider has ON the FoV in game.

3. FurryLippedSquid says:

“Disable Intro Vids”

You beautiful man.

• Sparkasaurusmex says:

This always makes games better.
      I doubt publishers (and possibly even devs?) realize how those extra seconds for launching the game make some of us think less of their game.
      Not really a huge deal, but when I think of Dishonored, which is a game I like, the best thing I can say about it is that it has the best “launch to play” ratio of any recent, big game.

• Matt_W says:

Every time I start up Dead Space 3. Argh. 3 Intro videos. Press Start to play (OBVIOUSLY I want to play.) Press X to load a profile, confirm with X. Choose the profile, confirm. Wait for connection to online services. Get presented with a selection of available DLC. Press O to skip that. Wait for game to process that. Choose “Load last save”. Press X to confirm. And finally, after a load screen, I get dropped into the game.

I still fail to understand why ZERO games have adopted Tycho of Penny Arcade’s suggestion that, after the first time loading up the game, when we choose the game from our Steam library or console XMB, it should immediately drop us into our latest save: no intro videos, no main menus, just into the game. 95% of the time that’s what you want, and the other 5% you can choose from an in-game menu just as easily.

• Josh W says:

Or you could use the wonderful “menu while you are loading level” thing that a few multiplayer shooters use when setting up games. If there’s only one game they’ll be loading anyway, the one you normally reach with “continue” that’s all you need.

• snajk says:

GTA from 3 and onwards does this (not sure about 4). There’s still an intro-video but then it’s straight to the last save.

• mouton says:

Been disabling intro vids in inis for a decade now.

• Low Life says:

Not that they were much of a problem, since they were already skippable (space bar).

That and I only started the game twice anyway…

• luukdeman111 says:

but the intro vids are skippable in this one right? at least, for me they are!

• welverin says:

They are, but why press a key four or five times every time you launch the game if you can edit a file once?

4. tengblad says:

Has anyone figured out how to make the UI scale to higher resolutions yet? I play the game on my TV with a controller (yes, yes, I know, I know) and when I run it at 1080p the UI elements are so small that I can’t read them. I’ve had to bump the resolution down to 720p because of it.

• welverin says:

I have my PC hooked up to my TV as well, and a readable interface is all I wanted from Steam’s big picture mode, boy was I disappointed.

• MeestaNob says:

BPM has absolutely nothing to do with the games you play, it’s only an interface to get to them. UI etc is a matter for individual developers to tackle.

• plugmonkey says:

Same here. Hopefully some day soon developers will start to realise an increasing number of people play PC games this way, and start offering better support for it.

• cunningmunki says:

Right there with you. Been playing my PC on my TV for a few years now and although I understand why older games have teeny-tiny UI writing, I get quite upset when the newer games have it. Planetside 2, I’m looking at you.

• Sparkasaurusmex says:

This will probably either break your game or have no effect, but you could try increasing your machines DPI for the TV, then make sure BI is running with the “ignore DPI settings” box unchecked.

• ResonanceCascade says:

I was really excited that they finally got rid of the gigantic console UI and prompts from the first Bioshock game. Looks much cleaner and nicer on my monitor the way it is now.

5. jellydonut says:

Does 1999 mode let you save your game, like every game did in 1999?

This. Oh god, this.

• wearedevo says:

No! Not this at all! 1999 mode is fine, but why play on the hardest difficulty if you’re just gonna quicksave-scum your way through it? I play on the hardest difficulties *because I want to suffer consequences for my mistakes*. If that means going back 10 minutes to a checkpoint, GREAT. Maybe I’ll try a little harder not to die, next time!

• Kobest says:

Exactly. I would swallow the horrendous save system if I played on normal, but on 1999 mode, it’s an utter disgrace.

• Cognitive Mailorder says:

This, very very this. When you quit, it tells you how long it is since your last save and warns you in big glowing letters that you may lose progress, suggesting that Irrational even knew it would be a pain point.

• Inglourious Badger says:

If they’re going for the System Shock 2 style saving, then there would be a quicksave function, but one that only saved your last quicksave whilst in game. I learnt the hard way that when you exit and come back to the game the quicksaves are gone :( You had to remember to do a ‘proper’ save before you exited. That’s not so easy to remember in this modern day and age

• Cognitive Mailorder says:

Unfortunately, they haven’t gone for any style of saving other than “spotty checkpoints”.

• SuperNashwanPower says:

In the version of SS2 I recently got from GOG, the quicksaves don’t disappear – in fact I have been relying on them. The only time its backfired is when I got myself caught in a deathsave loop by hitting F5 as a hybrid whacked me with a pipe. My last proper save had been waaaaaay before. Other than that its fine though. EDIT: yup just went and checked, my quicksave is still happily sitting there.

• Inglourious Badger says:

Ooh, interesting. I managed to cling on to my old CD of it so was playing from that. Perhaps it’s patched out since I last played, I gave up ina rage after losing 2 hours play last time I forgot to save properly. Think it’s been long enough to return without being frustrated again, and Bioshock Infinite is making me crave more Shocky goodness

• SuperNashwanPower says:

You probably know this already, but there are a few graphics mods out for it now as well. I’m playing through in its original state, y’know, because HISTORY :)

• cunningmunki says:

From what I’ve heard, the 1999 mode isn’t what I expected it would be. I was under the impression that it simply limited your ability to chose specialisations and weapons, to make the game a little more RPG-esque, along the lines of SS2. Instead, all it seems to be is an ultra-hard difficulty setting.

Having said that, I’ve not found a comprehensive guide on what exactly the 1999 mode does (rather than what Mr Levine said it would do), so I’m not sure what effect it has. Can anyone enlighten me?

• Kobest says:

(Six hours in, first playthrough on 1999 mode.) I thought it would be the same, but in practice, you got the right idea. It’s an ultra-hard difficulty but in my experience it does not alter the core design though. The only thing it does is, after you are killed and respawned for 100 bucks, once you run out of money, you get dropped back to the main menu. My advice is: just reload the checkpoint once you feel you lose the fight, because you will definitely need the money later in the game. But there’s a problem with that, which I’ll address in a second.

I know I tend to sarcastically remark a lot on Levine’s quote about how this mode is supposed to be for those who are looking for 1999 FPS game design elements, but let’s be honest, Levine either didn’t know what he was talking about or, more probably, he was just using the Comstock Sweet Prophet Talk Vigor in order to huss claims about his game not being too difficult.

Forget going back or even reminiscing of SS2: you get a regenerating shield (just stand behind cover for a bit and bam, you’re doing well), tougher enemies, and a shit saving system that, should you take a fatal blow, forces you to collect randomized (!!!!) loot again before many encounters. This is light years away from strategic placement of supplies and strategic use of your health/mana in order to stay alive.

Edit: Don’t get me wrong, I’m still having fun with the game and can’t wait to see what happens in the rest of the story, but if your game does not have anything from 1999 design, then please don’t say it does. It’s that simple.

• Runs With Foxes says:

That sounds really awful.

• cunningmunki says:

What a waste of a superb concept, and it wouldn’t even require any restructuring of the game. I hope some future developer takes the same concept and applies it properly.

You lied to us Ken.

6. honuk says:

The best 1999 mode is the one where you pay GOG 10 bucks to download System Shock 2 instead :O

7. Yosharian says:

I thought if you disabled the AMD video it messed something up, read that somewhere

But yeah already found these, the mouse settings in particular are an absolute joke

On the plus side, absolutely loving the game, apart from checkpoint save being utterly unreliable

• Craig Pearson says:

I have it disabled and it works fine, but it’s an easy fix to reinstate it.

• SuicideKing says:

Only happens if you’re using a GeForce card. Because AMD hates you for it.

• Visualante says:

Thanks for this article, I really appreciate it and would value more of the same ilk int he future. I know it’s a kind of “do it yourself” solution for most people.. but due to the nature of spoilers I’ve kind of been avoiding online discussions for this game.

The intro videos messed up for me the first time, but when I deleted and retried it worked a treat. I also upped the graphical settings a bit and things sure look good today.

8. Winged Nazgul says:

Yeah, still need some more tweaking until I am comfortable with this game.

Now if only I can say the same about the save system.

9. -Spooky- says:

Same old, same old – tweaking U3 engine anno ..

10. Suits says:

pcgamingwiki has my back every time.

11. GallonOfAlan says:

Ah the intro vid. Almost as loathsome as the unskippable cut-scene. AMD, Intel et al – having to look at your poxy video EVERY TIME just stiffens my resolve never to buy anything from you.

• Hypocee says:

Heh. Good luck with that. Unless of course you’re posting from artisinal silicon.

• Surlywombat says:

Hows that Matrox gfx card working out for you these days?

12. golem09 says:

I’m all for a good round of ini configuration, but Bioshock Infinite already has all the options I want. Pretty much the best PC version of a multiplatformgame I’ve seen. Even let’s me watch the game while I change it’s graphic options.
    And then it even let’s me skip the intros with escape. One of the rare times where I don’t have to delve into the ini, because of smart devs. Thank you.

• Kobest says:

You can also just click through the intros. 3-4 clicks are you’re in the menu. :)

• Suits says:

The 2K and Irrational intros would not skip for me, the rest did. So it was rather annoying still.

• Sparkasaurusmex says:

A lot of times that’s a first run thing. Skippable intros is getting rare, but it’s a lot more common than the guys above make it sound, but it’s also common that you can’t skip them on the first run.

• Low Life says:

I think it starts skipping when it’s done loading – for me that was about halfway through the first video.

• Jason Moyer says:

I haven’t played much yet, but my initial impression is that this is the best console-to-PC porting job I’ve seen in ages, if not ever.

• derbefrier says:

yep after all the gushing reviews from journalists and players alike I bought it yesterday. I am really enjoying the game. The story so far is interesting and a little insane which is fun. The combat is fun and fast paced with an old school feel to it. The game has been running flawlessly for me no stuttering or nothing. Its a damn good port from my experience so far, only a couple hours into it but if the rest of the game is like the first couple hours this will be a early contender for my GOTY and no I didn’t have the balls to start with 1999 mode but hard difficulty seems to be about right.

• Solidstate89 says:

I still say the award for best porting job goes to Deus Ex: Human Revolution.

13. Inglourious Badger says:

One issue I’m having that would welcome suggestions on is holding down right mouse button doesn’t drop a vigor trap, it just spams vigors out of my arm and rinses my salt levels. Is that just my crappy mouse or anyone else struggling with this?

• Suits says:

Sounds like a hardware issue, but you could plug in a different mouse to test it.

• Inglourious Badger says:

Thanks, yeah pretty sure it’s hardware. Haven’t got a spare mouse to test but holding down right click on my browser causes the menu to appear/disappear repeatedly. This is probably payback for that time I took out a Football Manager loss on it :(

14. mrmalodor says:

I actually had to set the percentage in the ini file to 100 and then set the slider all the way up to get a playable FoV. It causes weirdness with your arms in certain cutscenes, but it’s really the only way to experience the game without feeling disoriented and claustrophobic.

The fact that PC developers are adding FoV options is great and all, but guys, try to FUCKING understand this. The point of a changeable FoV is completely defeated if you lock the maximum to something very very low. Thank gawd we can at least edit the ini. I have no fucking use for a FoV slider if it only goes up to 75.

• maninahat says:

I was going to ask what happens to cut scenes when you boost the FoV. Certain games don’t expect you to increase it, and you end up seeing characters magically reappearing/disappearing and becoming stock still whenever they’re meant to be “off camera”. How far can I increase the FoV in Infinite before this sort of thing starts to happen?

• HilariousCow says:

Heh. The reason the FOV’s get capped is (in my experience) because shipping it with the visual artefacts created by higher FOVs gets returned by QA as an easily fixable bug… it just looks “unprofessional”, like no-one took into account that people would want to play at that FOV (plus it’s going to improve frame rate substantially, just from view culling gains).

And if you have this bug right at the end of the game, it’s easier to fix by restricting one GUI range, than by fixing all the first person animations, or coming up for a solution of how to make your main camera’s view matrix interact properly with the hand model view matrix: like if you reached out your hand and it looked like your hand should touch something, but in fact, your hand is super tiny next to the real world object because it has a completely different camera rendering it. Hard to explain. Basically, it’s easier to just clamp the FOV range to something that doesn’t look awful and thus incur a bug in QA

The defence is that, when it comes down to it, the people who care enough about FOV tend to be literate enough to go and change it in an ini, and will feel aware that they’ve not made the Devs look stupid by revealing that their animations don’t look perfect for all FOV ranges. But I think this just gives not-so-literate gamers a worse experience when playing close to their screen, and they perhaps won’t be able to put their finger on why it’s a bad experience?

OH WELL. NEXT TIME, EH?

• SuperNashwanPower says:

Why don’t they make high FOV a design decision though? Is it just because its harder to do without artifacts, and so they take the easy path? I’m not a programmer so its always cool to hear from experts :)

• waltC says:

The more narrow the field of view, the less information rendered by the gpu per frame, and the higher the frame-rate will be, generally speaking. The number of pixels rendered per frame stays the same regardless of the FOV, but it’s the pixel changes between frames that make a gpu sweat, so to speak–a narrow FOV entails fewer pixel changes between frames than a wider field of view. This bodes well for the game’s promotional publicity, which includes things like frame-rate benchmarks. Anyway, that’s my thinking on why many games set the FOV more narrow than would be the case if one was emulating normal vision.

• Sparkasaurusmex says:

Also, doesn’t increasing FOV help those gamers who get sort of sick looking at FPS games?

• SuperNashwanPower says:

“those gamers who get sort of sick looking at FPS games”

So you mean, everyone who bought a Call Of Duty installment in the last 5 years?
          SWIDT? :D

• Radiant says:

Sex With Incandescent Dwarf Trolls?

“Irradiated”
            More hygeinic

• Radiant says:

I had choices.
            It was a toss up between Incensed or Irritated.
            The dwarf landed somewhere in the middle.

btw unless I was sure it would give me special powers I wouldn’t have sex with an irradiated dwarf; I don’t care how much it looked like Meryl Streep.

• ResonanceCascade says:

I’ve never understood how looking through a 100 degree fishbowl is less sickening than an 85 degree window, but to each their own, I suppose.

15. Wurzel says:

I’m having the problem where the audio is pull of staticy pops (and not just when I’m listening to audio logs). It’s not incredibly awful but it’s rather off-putting. Any ideas for how to fix it?

16. Innovacious says:

I beat 1999 mode with about 12 hours game time. I was a bit disappointed with it and never really had any major troubles (well, there was a certain “boss” who was mildly annoying). Since then i have watched clips of the standard difficulties and it looks more like a walk in the park.

• walterbarrett says:

Most people will find it too much of a challenge. But we all appreciate what an absolute video game master you are. You can sleep easy tonight.

• Kobest says:

Same here. Although just six hours in using 1999 mode, I don’t think it’s that challenging. (IMO, due to the regenerating shield.)

I guess in order to see some 1999 FPS game design, we do have to play games from that era, eh? (Not counting some exceptions, of course.)

Edit: Although, I guess I shouldn’t have expected that much of a challenge from 2013 AAA title after going through Shadow Warrior on a higher difficulty just weeks ago. Oh wait, that was 1997 game design… :)

• MeestaNob says:

I started on hard straight away, and aside from a 3 or 4 clumsy deaths it’s a doddle.

• SuperNashwanPower says:

MINI SPOILERS: I got bum shredded at the bit where you meet your ‘accomplices’ in the bar then emerge to all those fire dudes. I should have possessed the bloody robogunner, only saw that after :( Lost ALL MAH CASH. Excuse: I’m getting used to a new mouse **fights gamer shame and lower lip tremble**

17. basilisk says:

Anyone else experiences problems with extremely stuttery mouse control on anything but the lowest sensitivity? Makes the game virtually unplayable (though it’s perfectly fine with a controller, which is what I switched to). I tried all sorts of ini tweak combinations to no avail.

• MeestaNob says:

I turned my mouse settings to the second lowest notch on the UI, anything more than that turned the mouse cursor into the Flash.

• Kobest says:

Mine is actually one bar after the minimum, but anything above that is lightning fast.

• SuperNashwanPower says:

Do you guys have mice with adjustable DPI’s? I have found that experimenting with the DPI settings solves a lot of it. I had the game set at minimum, and the mouse DPI at 800 most of the time. Seemed to sort out the game AND the sludgy menu performance. Maybe set up a BI specific profile for your rodents if you can :) EDIT: Also I have mouse polling set to 1000, dunno if report rate makes a difference.

• Kobest says:

Thanks for the advice! I’ll give it a try, though I have a feeling that it might screw it up even more, so I might leave it between “slow as a snail” and “blazing fast.” :)

• SuperNashwanPower says:

AHA. It would seem that the technology driving the mouse sensitivity slider is actually modeled on a Turny Button Thing (shower version)

18. Hunchback says:

doesn’t bForceNoMovies=TRUE disable the intros as well?

19. Diziet Sma says:

Is that the Konami code, almost, for 1999 mode?

• SuperNashwanPower says:

Yes. On the keyboard (not controller) I used the arrow keys and the letter keys B and A, so it went UP UP DOWN DOWN LEFT RIGHT LEFT RIGHT B A. Put that in on the main menu, with ‘PLAY’ at the top, and you should get a little message telling you it unlocked.

• Kobest says:

Using the actual letters B A worked for me as well. I didn’t try with Esc and Enter though.

Once you get a notification that 1999 mode has been unlocked, you can go to New Game, and select the 1999 mode difficulty.

20. Kein says:

Unfortunately, there is no way to fix constant microslutters, I tried EVERY available solution with driver setting and ini-editing and it still lags sometimes for no apparent reason.

• MeestaNob says:

Best typo.

• Sparkasaurusmex says:

I have no idea, but I would guess hard drive issues.
      Try a defrag?

• KilgoreTrout_XL says:

I think that’s the game loading the level geomtery of the next area. I have it on an SSD and I can only notice a stutter when you’re heading to a big outdoor area, usually at the threshold of a door for me.

Otherwise I’m pretty stutter-free, rig is 1.5 yrs old too.

• SuperNashwanPower says:

@kein – do you by any chance run a Realtek onboard soundcard? If you do, try going to the realtek control panel (If you are on Windows 7, find it quickly using the search box on the start tab and typing Realtek) and reducing the Default Format to 16 bits, 44100Hz (CD Quality). There is a well known and unfixed glitch with these cards that gets confused with certain games, essentially there’s a conflict between processing a sound and processing image. Watch to see if a sound file kicks in immediately after your stutter.

There’s no real total fix for it, and I have no idea why reducing sound quality sometimes helps, its just Realtek being shit. Of course, if you don’t have a realtek, then everything I have written is pointless and OH MY GOD WHAT AM I DOING WITH MY LIFE

21. Greg says:

I may have missed something, but is there an option to enable vsync somewhere?

• basilisk says:

Yes, it’s in regular graphics settings, it’s just called “Lock framerate (also known as v-sync)”, for some reason.

• KilgoreTrout_XL says:

I remember it being a pretty obvious option, so I’m guessing you have not clicked the button to allow ‘custom settings’ in the graphics menu yet.

• Hardtarget says:

it’s in game already, just turn on ‘lock frame rate’

• fish99 says:

Frame rate lock and v-sync aren’t the same thing. You can lock to a set framerate without syncing refreshes should you really want to for some reason. Frame rate lock suggests they’re just going to lock the game to a maximum of 60 fps, which wouldn’t be good news for anyone with a 120Hz monitor.

If the setting is really just v-sync they should call it that.

22. fish99 says:

Will the next game be called Bioshock Infinite +1 ?

• SuperNashwanPower says:

Aaaand cue the herd of engineers / programmers / maths students stampeding to tell you why that’s the same thing in 3…2…1….

• fish99 says:

Are you suggesting programmers are so dumb they would think my statement was a genuine question rather than a joke about infinity?

• SuperNashwanPower says:

No, I am suggesting they are anal enough to feel compelled to tell you (I am an engineer myself ;) )

• fish99 says:

Haha, ok :)

Looks like I jumped to the conclusion that you were telling me that when you weren’t, sorry.

23. KilgoreTrout_XL says:

Also, these may be of use for any Nvidia users:

- Update your drivers to 314.22.
    - Turn Ambient Occlusion off in-game, and turn it on in the Nvidia control panel (game uses AMD’s HDAO; the panel will use Nvidia’s HBAO.)
    - Try locking the framerate in-game and enabling triple buffering in the control panel. This smoothed things out quite a bit for me.
    - Pause the game before alt-tabbing to avoid having your frame rate getting murderized, forcing a restart, and possibly losing a chunk of playtime because of the checkpoint system.

24. Radiant says:

You know.
    It’s articles like this that make PC games journalism PC games journalism.

Being reticent to show the intricacies of PC gaming as if to say ‘hey! we’re just like console games!’ is ignoring a huge chunk of PC gaming that is in danger of being phased out by all the low grade console games ports.

RPS really should be talking extensively about game tweaks and mods.

I fucking love a good ini fight.

• Chorltonwheelie says:

Damn right.
      I love pissing about with my system files, mobo settings etc. as much as I love the games.
      There’s a masochistic joy in getting a poorly optimized game to run sweetly after a few hours head scratching.
      When I read about the Steam box and next gen consoles I think this…

25. Multidirectional says:

Still no way to disable that Bloom? It ruins otherwise beautiful art style for me.

26. ShowMeTheMonkey says:

This is odd. I don’t have that file or folder in the first place. It’s just not there!

27. Runs With Foxes says:

They probably knew that simply turning enemies into bullet sponges without changing much else made it a crappy option, so they hid it behind an unlock code.

28. engion3 says:

Why did no one tell me about the volley gun? It’s reminescent to the flak cannon of UT2004 and the grenade launcher in crysis2 (mp servers with only grenade launcher amazing). There’s just something about hopping around shooting balls that makes me happy.

29. fish99 says:

The question has to be asked again – why do technical problems and bugs with PC games go largely unmentioned in many reviews? Not necessarily talking about Bioshock Inifinite and the RPS review, but it’s a definite trend. Maybe reviews should have big disclaimers at the start of the review if there’s parts of the game they can’t test – like always on systems etc, or even just wait to review it (imagine that).

• Bart Stewart says:

For the most part I thought Alec’s Wot I Think was excellent, and I’ve said so elsewhere. I also appreciate this mini-tweaking guide.

But it would have been very helpful to me if he’d mentioned that Infinite, unlike BioShock and previous Irrational games, and unlike PC-centric games, doesn’t allow quicksave. I like to explore options, and never even imagined that the feature that allows me to do so would be excluded from Infinite. (I didn’t read about it before buying because I was trying to avoid spoilers. I did read Alec’s review because he specifically promised it would be essentially spoiler-free.)

I really wish the no-quicksave thing had been highlighted. Noted for future Irrational games, though.

30. ng.aniki says:

Did someone find out how to disable the change of mouse sensitivity while using iron sight ?
    I had to go near the minimum of the sensitivity slider so it is confortable to play, but now it is really too slow while using ironsight.

31. VeloriumTrigger says:

This game works well with my Radeon 6950 and AMD Athlon x4 , thanks to Unreal Engine 3 I guess. I suggest playing this inside Razer Game Booster and perhaps a Bioshock Infinite Walkthrough would be a great help for first timers :)