Nature’s Gonna Hate: Shelter

By Adam Smith on April 15th, 2013 at 5:00 pm.

Sometimes, when Countryfile is on the telly and I’m lamenting the concrete meadows to which I am bound, I think of the wolves that once roamed Albion’s forests and I weep. None of that’s true, of course – I’m too busy watching Bogart-wrinkled noir to let Countryfile invade my screen. I do miss Wolf though. Not enough games show an interest in animal behaviour, and the reds and greens of nature. Three cheers for Shelter, then, which casts the player as a badger with a family to care for: “As the mother of a litter of cubs you are forced out from familiar and safe surroundings to find new shelter in a beautiful, but dangerous world. The harsh reality of nature plays a pivotal role in the game whilst at the same time Shelter aims to pay a homage to the great outdoors and all its imposing beauty.” Trailer in the den, below..

Shelter is in development at Might and Delight, previously responsible for Pid.

, , .

1. Ian says:

More of this sett of thing, I say.

• jimangi says:

If you mustelid start a pun thread, do try harder. You won’t be earning any badgers of honour.

2. FurryLippedSquid says:

I defy anyone to come up with a tuberculosis pun.

3. minerwilly says:

Wow, who else remembers Survival on the Spectrum from 30 years ago? I want to play as a housefly to make it past 3 days.

Harlander says:

I do! Wow, I was just thinking “Hey, this sounds a bit like…”

4. b0rsuk says:

This is so awesome !

5. mickygor says:

I miss wulf.

6. felisc says:

this looks quite sweet. the sound effects are pretty adorable.

7. oyog says:

Badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger.

8. Blackseraph says:

This has humans as an evil super monsters right?

It should have anyway.

9. Jakkar says:

Hnnghr??! Is this, essentially, an Animals of Farthing Wood game?!

• Jakkar says:

*nostalgia-tears/drool*

• Chizu says:

That’s exactly what crossed my mind.
      Ahh Childrens television, what happened to you. You used to be about small cartoon animals being hit by cars.

10. Inglourious Badger says:

After years of providing badger based names to every game character I’ve ever played, I should probably play this one

• Defiant Badger says:

You and I both. My latest is Belligerent Badger, though king badge’s time will come

11. pupsikaso says:

Why do the colours look like they are washed out? Almost like you are looking at the game through a dirty, grey window. For a game about nature I would have expected some more vibrancy to the colours :(

• Ross Angus says:

I know what you mean, but I quite like the art style. I wish the lighting was better, though. It’d be nice to see more contrast and more saturated colours, but still with the cartoon style.

12. Defiant Badger says:

You call those badgers? More like monochromatic melons on legs.

13. BurningPet says:

My god the graphic style is beyond superb. really captures the old children book illustration style. kodus X2 – both for the concept and the graphics.

14. SurvivalistDev says:

It looks nice n all, but it leaves me with a massive problem…

I was hoping to bring my mobile card duelling game Shelter to the PC in the next few months (http://www.survivalistgames.co.uk/shelter/) and that’ll be a problem if I have the same name as them o_0.

I know this isn’t the place, but I’ve been an RPS reader for ages and it seems fitting that my first comment be a freakout about the news you just fed me that just broke my fragile mind. I’d best get on the old email to them and let them know of the predicament, but whilst my game’s been out for months it’s only available to a small market at the moment and they’re much better established than me. sigh….

• Chizu says:

Maybe you can get away with adding that tagline like a subtitle to differentiate it?
      Shelter – A Survival Card game.

• SurvivalistDev says:

Heh. When I first started approaching publishers, that’s exactly what I did. I might be able to do that, but the awkward thing is my game is already released on Windows Phone and weeks away from releasing to iPhone and then Android soon after.

I’ve written an email to Might and Delight looking to start a dialog about the problem. Hopefully they’ll get back to me and we can sort something out before I’m due to submit to the Apple app store for certification.

I’m not going to be an arse about it as I realise Windows Phone isn’t exactly a huge market so currently the potential for confusion isn’t that big. Really bad timing, though.

• makute says:

Excuse me if I look rude, but, Windows Phone? Seriously? What’s wrong with Android?

Malibu Stacey says:

Clearly SurvivalistDev posting this 3 and a half hours before you decide to chime in with your platform gripe wasn’t enough for you so I’ve quoted the most relevant part to save you the effort of scrolling up a centimetre or 2.

• makute says:

My apologies, I skiped that part.

But I’ll repeat my question out of genuine curiosity: why Windows Phone? It’s worth the effort and the development time invested?

15. sinister agent says:

I AM ALFA WULF. BRING ME RABITZ PLSE

Ahem. Sorry, flashback. On the subject of Wolf, Chris “please stop trying to get people to call me ‘Chrivingston’” Livingston wrote a thing on his time playing with the obiously similar WolfQuest, as part of his fantastic sim series. It am here.

The circus one is particularly good.

16. stiffkittin says:

I will play this game. Looks gorgeous, thank you.

17. nillenille says:

I bet this is directly inspired by the classic “Honey Badgers Of The Kalahari”.

Gap Gen says:

I remember playing Badger Trails (the demo, at least) as a kid: http://shop.sherston.com/sherston/btgn-mlt-cdrm-1.html

19. Universal Quitter says:

Not sure how I feel about the art style, but it certainly has potential to be a unique and cool game.

The trailer ended with the cry of some kind of bird of prey. A sign of heart-wrenching moments to come, or an obnoxious game or level-restarting mechanic? Only time will tell.

20. charmed23 says:

another refreshing unique game, thanks for posting!