And Everything Else From THQ Went To… Nordic Games?

By Nathan Grayson on April 23rd, 2013 at 12:51 am.

Did you hear that ominous raven on my shoulder that portends the impending doom of all that ever was and will be? Everything's gonna be fine!

OK, Nordic Games, the jig’s up. You can go ahead and change your name to THQ II: The Rise Of Mecha-Bilson already, because seriously, you just purchased the publisher’s legacy. Sure, Gearbox snagged Homeworld, and the company’s modern heavy hitters found new, loving homes, but Nordic now (pending court approval) owns nearly everything else. Red Faction? Yep. Darksiders? Oh, certainly. And oh man, Titan Quest? Sure, why not. Supreme Commander too. And hey, remember Full Spectrum Warrior? I must admit, I – along with my good friend, Basically The Entire World – had forgotten about it, but Nordic deemed the military tactics sorta-sim worth salvaging. Here’s the kicker, though: all those? Only the tip of the iceberg.

So far, Nordic’s mentioned the following series by name, but with the caveat that its full bounty includes “much more”:

• Titan Quest
  • Darksiders
  • Red Faction
  • MX vs. ATV
  • Frontlines
  • Juiced
  • Stuntman
  • Destroy All Humans
  • Deadly Creatures
  • The Outfit
  • Summoner
  • Full Spectrum Warrior
  • Supreme Commander

Perhaps taking a cue from Gearbox, the Painkiller: Hell and Damnation publisher has also opened its forums to discussions with fans about where these franchises should go next. Beyond that, the goal is to take things slow and steady rather than making a mad dash for the finish to cash in. CEO Lars Wingefors explained in a statement:

“A very important point for us is not to dash into several self-financed multi-million dollar projects right away, but rather to continue our in-depth analysis of all titles and carefully selecting different financing models for developing new instalments of acquired IPs.”

“In the long term, we either want to cooperate with the original creators or best possible developers in order to work on sequels or additional content for these titles.”

So that could lead to some pretty interesting developments, especially since studios like Volition are still alive and kicking, and Vigil essentially reformed under Crytek with intent to free their old pal Death from the mad, pestilent purgatory that is bureaucratic limbo. I wonder, too, how much they ended up bidding, given that it clearly wasn’t enough to counter Nordic’s $4.9 million buffet approach.

Nordic plans to release a more comprehensive list of its winnings in May, after everything’s been finalized. Until then, though, are you happy to see these series get a second lease on life? Are there any you’d especially like to see back in the limelight, assuming Nordic doesn’t torpedo its own hull by excitedly announcing uDraw II: Electric Booga– Fuck, We’re Bankrupt Now?

, , , , , , .

1. mehteh says:

Oh good! At least some franchises found their way to a PC dev unlike the news of Homeworld going to that console focus company Gearbox.

Nevermind. Nordic Games is really JoWood

• ANeM says:

I didn’t think I could possibly be more disappointed with the outcome of the first auction when Vigil was separated from Darksiders.

I couldn’t have possibly been more wrong.

The best thing Nordic/JoWood has done with Painkiler was a half-baked remake of the original, that still didn’t match up. The best thing they did with Gothic 4 was lose the rights to call it Gothic 4. And now they have Darksiders.

Before I was worried that Darksiders would never see a sequel. Now a sequel seems a certain fact, but just as certain a fact is how awful it will be. Careful what you wish for, I guess.

• MeestaNob says:

They just need to copy/paste the other Darksiders games and they’re on a winner, although the prospect of them subcontracting to Crytek/Vigil for a CryEngine powered Darksiders 3 is mouth watering.

• skorpeyon says:

Can’t quite agree with this one. The reason Darksiders 2 was so much fun was its differences from Darksiders. Death being the protagonist, the endless loot dropping from everything, the ability to combine weapons to forge new ones, those were all new additions. I think the most exciting thing thought I had when I saw how different it was was “how are they going to top this in Darksiders 3?”

Now I don’t know if that’ll ever happen. If they directly copy/paste what they have it’ll make me, for one, incredibly sad.

• Sunny Boy says:

Nordic Games is JoWood? I have a quite different impression. For example, they were interested in the expectations the fans of the Aquanox franchise had and even organized some talks with them to discuss the direction a possible sequel would go. True, they took over people from JoWood, but the management seems different. So, I have hope that they won’t just screw everything up. :)

liquidsoap89 says:

I’m still curious about where the WH 40K license ended up. From what I understand Relic didn’t get to bring it with them when Sega acquired them, and I don’t see it coming up anywhere. Here’s hoping GW chooses where it goes (ideally back to Relic :D).

• HisMastersVoice says:

They didn’t end up anywhere, because they weren’t for sale.

• darkath says:

The WH40k license stayed where it has always been, in that good ol’ games workshop.

They just have to team up with sega to continue producing Dawn of War titles made by relic.

• Soulstrider says:

IIRC that license is all over the place, random studios from different publishers have announced 40k games.

Thermal Ions says:

That’s however a separate decision by Games Workshop to broaden their licence deals. Admittedly, possibly a decision they reached once concerns started appearing in regards to THQ, which highlighted the revenue stream impacts for GW by restricting their licence deals as they had been.

The licence agreements would contain clauses such that if the licence holder went into administration / bankrupt then the agreement is automatically terminated or at least provides GW the right to terminate the agreement without penalty. Essentially THQ would have been left with nothing apart from possibly the right to continue to sell existing released games until they were finally wound up.

3. Wedge says:

Take that Red-Faction technology and finance a new Blast Corps. That is the only obvious course going forward. Seeing as Volition never seemed to understand how to use it right. (Of course if they just get the IP and Volition still has all the code, then whatever).

• FakeAssName says:

probably this …. though maybe Nordic could sift through the source code for RF and learn a thing or two.

4. Atrophy says:

All of these wonderful franchises…. especially SupCom, are going to…. Nordic Games??? I was eagerly anticipating seeing sequels to many of these games (SupCom)… but now one of my least favorite publishers of all time has gotten their claws in them. So far they have made a number of old school shooters….

I will still hold out hope that they can surprise me, but unless they are funding other developers to make sequels, prequels and spin-offs to these fantastic franchises I will be thoroughly depressed….

SupCom

• Grey Poupon says:

Isn’t Planetary Annihilation enough of a Sup Com sequel? Granted it’s more of a a sequel to Total Annihilation but in my eyes that’s even better.

Biscuitry says:

That’s how I’m looking at it. Supreme Commander was basically already dead in my book

• LionsPhil says:

Yeah, the actual “IP”, as in the setting, has never been the interesting part of the TA/SC games (which is one of many reasons why SC2 was so awful, focusing on it). They can do a new excuse for commanders to be building armies against each-other each time and nothing of value is lost as long as they remember how to build all the mechanics right.

• Atrophy says:

Hmmm, I guess I should accept Planetary Anihilation as my next Supreme Commander game. For some reason even though it looks good the spherical maps just don’t feel enough like a Supreme Commander game. Hopefully I won’t feel that way when the finished version is in my evil hands.

I did recently here that they were attempting to outsource these games and not develop them in house which makes me much happier (I really would love to see a Titan’s Quest sequel and a Red Faction Sequel (that isn’t underground). :)

• Teovald says:

Right now, the only things from SupCom that seem to be missing are the Experimental Units.

That’s too bad, I would have loved to see a Monkey Lord hop from an asteroid to another.

Outside of that, the game looks very SupComidy : commanders, mass extractors, factories, fabbers & bots, everyone is here.

• fish99 says:

No experimentals? :o :`(

• Phinor says:

I’m likely in the minority with my playstyle but while Planetary Annihilation looks like it’s going to be a great game, I’m pretty sure I won’t enjoy it even half as much as SupCom. The reason? Because I like to.. turtle. Build up crazy defenses and have huge battles in the middle of the map. Not stress too much about it. Planetary Annihilation looks more suitable for people who like Starcraft and stuff like that, games where you have to sneak around, flank and all that, to me, dumb stuff. Don’t get me wrong, I really like watching pro players play Starcraft, but I’m never going to enjoy playing that style of game.

But still excited to see how Planetary Annihilation plays. I just have a feeling I won’t enjoy it.

• LimEJET says:

I think turtling will be a valid strategy. Hell, I’ve pulled it off in games where it’s not, like with the Soviets in Red Alert 2.

• skorpeyon says:

Turtling in RA2 was SO MUCH FUN, especially once the overpowered Yuri faction was added to the game. Also, since I never played it competitively, if the Yuri faction WASN’T overpowered then I was just much better at playing it than I was Soviets or Alliance.

I agree with your comment that Soviets usually can’t do that, though. It’s not the greatest strategy with them. The Alliance can pull it off pretty well, though. I used to build airstrip after airstrip as Korea and fill them all up with Black Eagles and just bomb the hell out of my opponents. It didn’t take too long to get them going, and I always hit their Construction Yard first. That was the most fun in my opinion with RA. Once you lost your Construction Yard it became a LOT harder.

• Teovald says:

It is.
        When Cavedog closed, a big part of its devs became GPG and created Supreme Commander. It was Total Annihilation 2 in many respects.
        Uber has some key developers coming from TA & SupCom; Jon Mavor for example wrote TA’s engine and was lead dev on SupCom and if you look at its gameplay, the lineage is obvious.

As a side note, these IP changes have probably allowed SupCom & PA to try out new ideas, whereas sequels have a mission to do not change too many things..

• Baines says:

I’m guessing that largely no one really wanted these IP. That’s why they passed untouched through the first auctions, and finally went in a bundle. Many of these IP either haven’t seen a game in years or can easily be replaced by a non-infringing alternative. In some cases, the IP itself could be considered the weakest part of the concept.

Darksiders is the big exception, and this is the second time I’m surprised to see it so unwanted. (Crytek didn’t really want it. They were just putting in a token bid because of the Vigil guys, and said that they had no plans to release a Darksiders game.)

5. rockman29 says:

A lot of good series in there… Titan Quest, SupCom, Stuntman, Summoner, even Red Faction… wow, what a haul :)

6. fish99 says:

Surprised, and kinda disappointed, Crytek didn’t get Darksiders.

• dE says:

Disappointed? Then again, they couldn’t make it any more generic than Darksiders 2 was, so it would at least look better.

• fish99 says:

I haven’t played 2 yet, but I thought Darksiders was pretty awesome.

basilisk says:

Sadly, the sequel is worse. It has enormous problems with pacing and foolishly dropped many of the Zeldaisms in favour of a loot and levelling system which is quite superfluous and completely kills the joy of exploration.

If this means any potential D3 will have a lower budget and have to tighten up the design, that’s definitely good news, but I can’t imagine anyone but Vigil doing it.

• Baines says:

I like Darksiders 2, but the leveling system really is a misstep.

Areas are still gated behind story events, so the level system isn’t needed as a “don’t go here yet” mechanic. It has flaws in that you can only tell the level of an enemy after you are already in danger, and it doesn’t even show boss levels. When fighting optional bosses, you wonder whether you are just not good enough, or you are simply fighting them too early. (You can reach Gorewood at around level 2, and he will destroy you. Come back after you are officially given the side quest to defeat him, and he’s a much more practical fight. Wait even longer, and he’s likely a cakewalk.)

Level seems mostly to exist for the loot system. Which is itself a bit of a disappointment. With all the various stats and effects, as well as the basics of an upgrade/customization system with possessed weapons, Vigil had the basis for random equipment drops and variety without sticking in the level system. It is also annoying if you get a unique weapon after its short window of usefulness. DLC is a further complication, as, at least from my limited experience, the DLC equipment is just hands down better than the in-game stuff that you find at the same level. At least that was true for the Van Der Smash Hammer (which you could get free by registering), a possessed weapon (you could upgrade it five times, continually making it stronger and giving it new abilities of your choice) that started with better stats than anything I found of its level. And it looks like the Crow Armor set (also free) will be of similar usefulness.

The game did have one other major problem though. The camera was bad. It functioned most of the time, but the camera will cause you to miss jumps and will get you killed repeatedly in difficult battles. I saw this rather early in the game, when facing a level 5 enemy while I was level 2. (It was the stalker or whatever it was behind the first locked door.) The level difference meant the enemy only had to hit me three times to kill me (and one move hit twice if you weren’t careful) and I had to hit it around 20 times. But I could see how to beat it, and knew I could do it without even spending healing potion, so I tried. And I died. And died. And died. You fight him in an enclosed area, and with that level difference the battle runs long enough that the camera is guaranteed to fail you. Problems happen fighting in any enclosed area or near walls. And problems happen with jumping when a slight camera shift can turn an attempted wall run into a wall climb or vice versa, which often results in a fall. It is worse in timed areas, where even a recoverable mistake can result in having to restart the sequence or even respawning. There are also timed jump sequences where the camera is set in a way that you can’t even see what your next step is, and you just have to try a blind faith jump and work it out before you die.

• Teovald says:

Since following DS1 story and having the 4 riders in a single game would have been far too costly, DS2 chose to tell a story taking place during War’s incarceration. Death is the only playable character and I did not find that he was a very interesting one.
          The game has some very beautiful settings, but you spend far too much time in one repetitive part of the world.
          There has been some retcon that brings nothing to the story or universe and the storyline is pretty boring imho. A big part of DS1′s story was only a pretext to send you in dungeons but the whodunit part was enjoyable, as well as its characters.
          The Gameplay is in the same vein, with a few differences :
          -Skills are now far more useable you are not limited to a couple of spells per battle but they feel a little bit bland imho.
          -There is a leveling system and semi-randomized loot. One good point is that some weapons are boostable, letting you customize your play style.

DS2 is not a bad game, but overall I enjoyed DS1 more.

• dE says:

Darksiders 1? Was a great comic style game with interesting characters. I absolutely loved it. The second one on the other hand, I have a theory about.

When all things were unformed within the void, it came to be that one such unformed one took shape to become an MMO. It shivered and shuddered as it morphed into form. It was a fluke, a random element that caused this MMO to mutate. Bits and pieces fell off it, first to go was the dull quest structure and the treadmill lootsystem, then came empty supersized locations and respawning mobs. More things fell off over time and formed a quivering mess of bad MMO Concepts.

Thus it came to be, when the first Darksiders had left the Void and called out for its brother. Another shape took form. It felt the urgency in his brothers call. Brother needed help, people demanded more. So the second shape rushed towards the edge of the void. It did so blind, in a panic and not yet ready for the world. It would be another fluke that brought upon Darksiders 2. On it’s haste out of the void, it collided with the leftovers of the MMO. With claws, they dug into Darksiders 2. They threw away all the things that made Darksiders special and infested it with MMOness. When Darksiders 2 finally left the void, it was a mutant. A pitiful creature barely able to remain alive, fighting for every breath it took. What is this blinding light, Darksiders 2 cried. It was a graphics card. Darksiders 2 would have none of it. Be gone, it shouted with a gurgling scream, take away the light! And the graphics card recoiled in horror. What is this poking pain, Darksiders 2 cried. It was Smooth Controls. Eeeeennnnd meeee, Darksiders 2 gurgled. Smooth controls left with tears in its eyes. It was then, within a dark corner of its mind that a shadowy dark voice spoke to it. Live. I will not allow your death. Suffer. I will enjoy it. Despair. I will devour it. Fight as you may. You no longer have any soul in you.

And that’s how Darksiders 2: The MMO-Mess, came to be. I’m sure of it.

• fish99 says:

Do you read David Eddings by any chance? :p

I’m probably gonna play Darksiders 2 the game after next so I’ll get to form my own opinion of it and maybe we’ll get to talk about it in a future comments thread. For the record I have heard at least one person say they preferred Darksiders 2 (although I’ve also heard about 5 people in this thread say they preferred the first).

7. Artist says:

Bad news: Nordic Games GmbH is actually JoWood under the label of Nordic Games Holding AB!

• DPB says:

I thought Nordic Games had merely bought the licences to JoWood’s games, like they’ve done here with THQ. AFAIK, the original JoWood is as dead as THQ.

• dE says:

They certainly brought along their business practices (and they also hired half the team).
        But if you want to see what Nordic does to IPs, look no further than Spellforce 2: Faith in Destiny. It’s dreadful.

• Malawi Frontier Guard says:

Faith in Destiny is a carry-over from Jowood’s outsourcing experiment to India. It’s a surprise it’s seen release at all.

• SominiTheCommenter says:

Neighbours from Hell gritty reboot, featuring the Darksiders guys.
      DO IT!

• Soulstrider says:

I don’t recall, why did JoWood had such a bad reputation?

• Malawi Frontier Guard says:

Releasing buggy and unfinished games and not following up with support well enough, in particular for Söldner and Gothic 3.

They did have nice packaging for a while, though.

8. Abendlaender says:

Who? What? How? Why?

• The Random One says:

Nordic Games. Bought a considerable part of THQ’s catalogue. By paying with money. Because it’s got money.

RobF says:

It’s that last bit that really confuses. Who keeps giving them money?

• Malawi Frontier Guard says:

The We Sing franchise, their distribution company, and their games back catalogue.

9. kud13 says:

Well, JoWood published Spellforce, which was an RTS/RPG hybrid. and then SpellForce II, which was an RPG with light RTS elements.

So I can see something maybe happenign with Titan Quest.

I’m curious what’ll happen to Darksiders now, Aside from THQ’s RTSs, this was the one IP I really wanted to see more of.

10. 1Life0Continues says:

I really hope we get the last two Horseman games. I am insanely curious as to how Fury and Strife will pan out, although hopefully Strife won’t turn into Gears of Darksiders. THQ had a high quality IP in that franchise (even if the Zelda roots were clearly visible under that hair dye) and it would be sad to see it go to waste.

As for the rest of those IP’s… I’d like to see a kind of Saints Row meets Red Faction. Where we see two linked games that tell the story of how Ultor went from clothing manufacturer to interstellar mining corporation. Maybe it’s just me, but that sounds like an incredibly interesting story. Perhaps the actions of the 3rd Street Saints put them on that path? Maybe they set the path up?

Never really experienced the other games, although I did dabble in Summoner for a bit when my computer was ancient enough to run it natively. Seemed like a great idea for a franchise, and could be pulled off in a big way today with modern technology. The draw distance in that game was Superman 64 levels of bad, so it could at least be looked at for a re-tooling.

Hopes are high. Just got to see what they do with it. Don’t screw it up, fellas.

11. HisMastersVoice says:

Homeworld is dead and have been dead for a long time. The team that made it doesn’t exist any more so H3 would be a completely new game with a nostalgia laden title.
    Darksiders is dead unless Vigil gets to work on it, but since Crytek couldn’t spare the cash here, I doubt it’s interested in actually finishing the series.
    Red Faction? Dead after the last entry.
    SupCom? Dead unless given to GPG and that’s not going to happen.

All in all, a lot of corpses changed coffins today.

• Pray For Death says:

*All in all, a lot of corpses changed coffins today.*

Heh, I like that.

• Teovald says:

SupCom is still alive. He already did the switcheroo once when he changed its names from TA to SupCom and he did it again. He faked his death and Jowood got an empty coffin. Now, he has got a new life in Kirkland and goes by the name of Planetary Annihilation.

Red Faction seems to be gone for good though. That’s a shame, Guerilla was its own thing and did many things right.

12. Memph says:

Farewell, sweet Darksiders :’(
    Kinda bollocks the Vigil guys didn’t get it back under Crytek.

13. ZoeAnderson24 says:

Thomas. you think Christine`s storry is shocking… last wednesday I got a great new Land Rover Defender after bringing in $4785 this past month and also ten-k this past-month. without a doubt it is the coolest work Ive ever had. I started this four months/ago and pretty much immediately began to make minimum $80.. per-hour. I use this web-site, Big44.com

14. PancreaticDefect says:

I own a Udraw tablet for PS3. Got it for 9 dollars and it’s going to sit on my shelf as a part of my ever-growing collection of videogame doo-dads that were terrible. Next on my shopping list: Gizmondo. I also have an Ouya coming so time will tell if it earns a spot on that shelf as well.

15. Javier-de-Ass says:

and now. release all those games on gog. do it

• martiz says:

Betcha. Most games from Nordic Games are released on GOG. Won’t be surprised if for example SupCom would be released there in a positive sense.

16. crinkles esq. says:

How exactly does Nordic Games have this much cash on-hand? Were these franchises being sold in the bargain bin next to slightly-used office supplies?

17. Dave L. says:

Looking at the breakdown of the lots from a few months ago (http://www.joystiq.com/2013/02/26/darksiders-homeworld-red-faction-and-other-ips-next-on-thq-auc/), it looks like Nordic just went all out on everything that was for sale and went home with every lot except 2 (Homeworld). Given that the estimate for the money brought in on this auction is ~7 million, and Nordic spending nearly five for their lots, that means Homeworld went for ~2 million (continuing the surprise ‘Relic and their related properties were worth way more than THQ realized’ trend, what with them going for the highest amount in the first auction), which I guess proves that the Gearbox guy really really wanted to make a new Homeworld game. Hopefully that bodes well for it.

The primary and backup bid breakdowns on this auction are going to be fascinating to see when those documents get released in May.

And I’m not sure that whoever was in charge at Nordic understood what Lot 6 was if they think they now own the SupCom IP. They don’t. They own ongoing distribution rights for SupCom and SupCom: Forged Alliance. The IP itself is owned by either GPG or Square Enix (probably Square).

[edit]Hmmm. Gamasutra is reporting that 505 Games bought Drawn to Life, which was part of Lot 5. That’s weird. Did they cut a deal with Nordic to contribute to their bid in exchange for that IP, or did the lot breakdown change?

And it looks like my numbers were wrong and Homeworld went for 1.35 million, which is still more than any of the other individual IPs brought in.

• Robbert says:

I’m 100% sure they knew what they were buying. I’m not so sure about the article’s author though.

But I’m very happy with the fact that there won’t be a Nordic Games Supreme Commander 3 that makes even Supreme Commander 2 look like a good sequel. I’m just hoping for Square Enix to make a really amazing PC exclusive Supreme Commander 3 inspired by Total Annihilation, SC: Forged Alliance and Planetary Annihilation.

• Josh W says:

If all you want to do with IP ownership is put games on GOG and similar services, ongoing distribution rights sounds fine.

18. MrBRAD! says:

2nd headline wot ends in question mark on the same page! Alert alert call the police!

19. Danda says:

Who has the Double Fine games now?

Jackablade says:

They’re independent, so whoever they can get to give them money. Costume Quest and Stacking were the only games they did with THQ. I’m pretty sure they own the rights to those IPs themselves.

20. -Spooky- says:

*shrug* Who cares about TA / SupCom anymore? Planetary Annihilation next.

Diziet Sma says:

Full Spectrum Warrior was good, I wouldn’t mind another one of those.

Johnny Go-Time says:

Hm, at first I was merely going to say, “Yes, Full Spectrum Warrior was awesome, unique tactical fun”.

And then I noticed, your name is from a Culture novel, which are my favourite books…

So now I can’t help but wonder what else we have in common – do you also basically look & act like James Bond, except happen to be good at videogames too?

22. Moraven says:

Drawn to Life series acquired by 505 Games for $301K
    Gearbox lands Homeworld rights with $1.35M bid
    Nordic Games: The rest for $4.9 million

23. Moraven says:

Grim Dawn
    I hope their contract to buy the use of the Titan Quest engine has had no effect, I think it was one and done deal so they could get going on Grim Dawn with no future hassles. TQ on its own I would say its not a huge IP to build off of, although the game always sells big on Steam sales.

24. HisDivineOrder says:

I guess these guys saw an opportunity for a lot of name brands for a low, low price and took it. Great. You can kiss these franchises goodbye. Perhaps if JoWood goes out of business, they’ll be resold again? That could be good…

25. ResonanceCascade says:

Summoner? So will we be casting magic missile on the darkness any time soon?

26. Banana_Republic says:

Titan Quest couldn’t get any deader than it was under THQ, so I can’t say I’m too worried. If anything, at least there’s a tiny chance at resurrection now. I don’t give a toss for any of the other properties.

27. engion3 says:

Only IP there I enjoy is Red Faciton. The last one entertained me for 30 or so hours.

28. skorpeyon says:

All I wanna know is, who got uDraw!??

Seriously, tho, I’d love to see the Red Faction “blow-up-able-stuff” tech married into so many games it’s ridiculous. I still don’t quite understand why they were doing it for years, but we still don’t have CoD/Battlefield/Halo/etc. first person shooters with destructible environments. It would be a ton of fun for someone to be up high sniping and people only to have a rocket launcher blow their platform out from underneath them.

29. Bitmapbrother1981 says:

Its such a shame that so many great games developers have gone down the toilet in recent years. I guess thats what happens when you don’t make a Homeworld 3!

30. TheNarwhalLord says:

So…………………….. You are telling me…….. Titan Quest has a chance of coming back………………………………………………………………………. YES!