7 Days To Die Looks Virally Impressive

By Jim Rossignol on May 24th, 2013 at 7:00 pm.

Minecraft with zombies is, well, Minecraft, but it’s also pretty much what 7 Days To Die could be described as. It’s a take on the zombie survival theme that also attempts to deliver a world that is as malleable as Minecraft’s blocky elysium. You can dig, destroy, build, barricade, and all that good stuff, as well as doing the shotgun business against the hideous undead. It’s Minecraft and DayZ being entwined after some horrible accident in the laboratory of zombie genre-blending. The developers sum it up, as so many games seem to have been summed up lately, by saying: “is an open world, voxel-based, sandbox game blending the best elements of FPS, Survival Horror, RPG and Tower Defense style games.”

Don’t take my baseless hum of cynicism as a reason not to take a look at the trailer, however, because 7 Days To Die looks genuinely impressive, and I can’t see this not making a huge impact when it arrives.

The Fun Pimps, eh? That should be a PR agency. They’re quoting alpha in July.

__________________

« | »

, .

1. Chickenfeed says:

Yes! Thank god we have developers that are really pushing the boundries and creating original games lately. There has been a definate lack of zombie survival games recently.

• MobileAssaultDuck says:

Can you name many real, actual zombie SURVIVAL games that have come out lately other than DayZ?

We have lots of zombie shooters, zombie beat em ups, even zombie driving games, but zombie survival? Other than DayZ, not really anything out there.

• Luringen says:

Yeah, I’m still waiting for a good zombie survival game. Day Z is just “Search for sniper -> PvP”, who knows if that will change in the standalone. This probably isn’t that game, it looks like a minecraft mod. Heck, it could probably be minecraft if it hadn’t been for the weird wall geometry and higher-poly characters.

• Chickenfeed says:

Not released games, I was more talking about the crazy amount of zombie survival games being developed now.

DayZ (Obviously), WarZ, Dead Linger, Project Zomboid, 7 Days To Die, Rebirth, State of Decay. Hell, just open up Steam Greenlight and you will find an endless supply of survival, zombie survival, voxel based survival, voxel based zombie survival, survival based zombie voxels etc. etc.

EDIT: Luringen, if you want a good, proper zombie survival game I strongly suggest Project Zomboid. Nowhere near ‘finished’ yet, but the recent updates have made huge progress. Should be coming to Steam soon-ish, if the devs don’t have another disaster.

For whatever reason my post was deleted for spam…

• Flavioli says:

WarZ? Using the term “developed” rather loosely here, aren’t we?

• Luringen says:

I’ve owned Project Zomboid for a while, didn’t think of it when writing. It’s a great game, but there are plenty of space for other games to try similar things in different formats, like State of Decay.

• tk421242 says:

Project Zomboid just released a new version within the last 2 weeks so as well as a full makeover for their site. I have only spent about 20 minutes with the sandbox mode for the new release and some very nice changes.

• Luringen says:

I’ve quickly tried it, it’s nice to see they are making progress. I’ll play it properly once the NPCs are back in, and some more bugs have been squashed.

• nasKo says:

I feel like the market still isn’t oversaturated with Zombies.

Funny how people complain about Zombies when there’s at least the tenfold ammount of military shooters out there.

There’s even a ton of actually *good* military shooters out there.
          Zombie survival games? Not so much. Can’t name any good one, that’s already released.

• jonahcutter says:

DayZ is one of the weaker zombie survival games.

The zeds are a minor inconvenience at best. Basic needs survival is window dressing and rarely, if ever, a factor. Being able to store weapons in tents removes the perma from death.

DayZ is a big-map, slow-pace deathmatch game of camping the leet weapon spawns… to get the best weapon… to snipe the other players… all for no reason pertaining to actual survival. You don’t need their weapons. You don’t need their food.

• Mctittles says:

I happen to like a big slow death match game.

I was always more of a large map Rainbow Six player than a twitch Quake player so even if that’s all DayZ is I’m really enjoying it.

• S Jay says:

In fact it depends how you play it.

• Yagrum Strelok says:

Lets not forget about Roam which is currently in development…
        Link to their website: http://roam-game.com/

Definitely worth a look at their successful kickstarter page too as I think there’s more info on their goals.

• wengart says:

Don;t forget Project Zomboid.

• jonahcutter says:

Agree. PZ is about as good of a zombie survival game as there is today.

• realitysconcierge says:

I was literally thinking the same thing. I thought I would never tire of zombies, but apparently I have :/

2. captain nemo says:

Awesome -> hope there’s co-op

• HybridHalo says:

Yeah, I think this is already something I’d invest in – But I can see it being a massive timesink for me and my friends if it has online co-op.

3. Astartes says:

The blocks look really awkward with that aesthetic choice.

4. jellydonut says:

I feel like you just posted about a Minecraft-y zombie game.

5. colw00t says:

For a minute there, I thought this was a surprise sequel to Ben “Yatzee” Crowshaw’s non-masterpiece
    “7 Days A Skeptic”

6. abandonhope says:

Looks kind of better than The Dead Linger at the moment, even if their aims are slightly different.

• tk421242 says:

One significant difference between The Dead Linger and this is that 7 Days is a developer crafted and mapped out world and TDL is a randomly generated map along the lines of Minecraft.

*A comment I just read in their forums leads me to rethink that initial assumption about the layout of their game world.

“Currently there is one large hand crafted world with decoration generation but hand placed cities, points of interests,and hand painted roads and water systems. We are considering tools for user maps and user prefabs for customer driven custom content in future releases.”

So for now that world seems to be predetermined but perhaps in the future they may go more for a random map like TDL.

7. Reapy says:

I basically wanted minecraft to go in this direction, minus the zombie theme, but sort of having more to do on it in terms of survival and tower defense aspects in that freeform build world.

I think this looks great, I’m about 80% sold, add co op in and it’s 100%.

8. Bloodoflamb says:

I stopped watching at ‘new-kyah-lur’.

9. BTAxis says:

ZOMBIES WALKING ON OTHER ZOMBIES

10. DavidJerk says:

Terrible name, terrible trailer, terrible website. That said, the game looks very interesting. It’s what I wanted from Minecraft.

• Faxanadu says:

This + as someone already mentioned, the blocks do look a little awkward when seen next to their multi-angled multi-faceted companions.

That being said, I *love* the idea. I cannot fathom why we have had to wait so long for this. This is what zombie apocalypse is all about. After seeing a zombie apocalypse movie, you always muse with your friends about what you would have done: Arm yourself, find food, find shelter, barricade, and if all hope is lost, make a run for it.

• sinister agent says:

I think it’s an alright name, to be honest. It’s certainly better than the 352,039 zombie games named “Dead [x]“.

11. roryok says:

I feel bad for the Dead Linger guys now. This looks like what they were trying to do only lot further along and more complete. Takes the wind out of their sails a little bit.

• Exuro says:

I don’t know, this game definitely looks like it would be worth a look, and there are similarities, but this is definitely nowhere even close to the scope of The Dead Linger.

• Chaz says:

Yeah this looks very Minecrafty compared to Dead Linger, which is gearing up more to be a survival RPG type game.

12. Noise says:

I’m just gonna go ahead and say what everyone is thinking: Voxels look shit

13. HumpX says:

Not sure if this was mentioned but the game is being developed by both fans of, and one of the developers for the old school cult shooter “GORE”.

sending out best of luck to Joel and the rest of the guys :)

-dryHump

14. Audiocide says:

Zombies tearing down concrete with their bare hands? Combining wooden sticks and iron ingots into a pickaxe in your pocket?

Just blatantly copying minecraft and sticking it into some random genre is a bit lame IMO. It also looks incongruent.

15. ostrich160 says:

Im sorry, but however awesome this can be I just wont get into it. We dont need any more zombie survival games. Im a games developer (just starting out), and originally I was going to make a zombie survival game. it was all going well, until I stopped and thought ‘I want to do something new here, not copy everyone else’, so I dropped it, and now Im working on a new survival game, a different one.

• SwENSkE says:

Does it have Zombies in it?

• Audiocide says:

Different for the sake of different isn’t necessarily a good thing. There are a bunch of games with zombies out there, but the genre doesn’t really have a classic yet.

16. MadMatty says:

They should make a “Slope Generating Algorhitm”, to smoothen the cubes into slopes. Looking like minecraft wont win them any easy wins anymore, and they actually seem to be able to do something elsa than Minecraft, so why not? The look allready contrasts with the curvy cars and trees, and other visible stuff.

17. goettel says:

Saw it, bought it, want it now.

Also: Oculus, plz !

18. belgand says:

Why does Arizona looks rather like the Midwest? I could be mistaken and I’m probably just hewing to stereotypes, but I get a stronger feel for Nebraska there.

19. 9squirrels says:

Aaaahhhh! Fast super strong zombies that can bash through walls! Do. Not. Want!
    I always wanted something a little like this, but multiplayer persistent world where you can build a fortress with some buddies and hide out from the zombie apocalypse, taking in passing strangers, sending out missions for supplies, growing crops, investing in tech, that sort of thing.

For my part, if the zombie apocalypse happens, I’m finding a high rise and taking out the staircase between the ground floor and the 1st floor (after I set up a few rope ladders) and turning that into my fortress. Will obviously have to clear the place floor by floor, but then you’ll have a huge amount of space, can build bridges to neighbouring buildings etc so you don’t get trapped, rain catchers on the roof for fresh water. Sorted.

20. Nest says:

Now THAT’s how you do a minecraft knockoff.