Chocks Away: World Of Warplanes Beta Opens

By Craig Pearson on July 3rd, 2013 at 6:00 pm.

The skies used to be such a peaceful place: birds, clouds, rain. Then man invented the plane and everything went very wrong. World of Warclouds would be an excellent, relaxing way to spend an afternoon: you scoop up water from the ground, silently stalk around mountains and over airports, building up a tummy rumble to make thunder and lightning. At most you could make things wet, zap a tree with a lightning bolt, or divert a plane to another airport. That’s a lot more relaxing than World of Warplanes. Wargaming’s online sky shooter has been in closed beta for a few months now, but it’s finally ready to open the hanger doors and let everyone in.

In fact, in a stunning rebuttal of the ‘no oceans’ political movement, America and Russia already have it. If you’re reading this story from the lands of guns and bears, you can already sign-up and download it now. Europe, where I sadly and regrettably live, will have to wait until July 4th to freely play this free-to-play game. I imagine it’s something to do with server shenanigans, or account doofers, but I’m still angry. Scowl at this launch trailer with me.

I can’t wait for them to hit the special button that ties this, World of Tanks, and the upcoming World of Warships together. If that doesn’t happen, I’ll be very sad indeed.

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. epmode says:

From the main World of Warships page:

“Single MMO Battle Realm
    The MMO war series—World of Tanks, World of Warplanes and World of Warships—will soon unite to create the ultimate gaming universe gathering millions of players into a single community of war gamers. Common economics will allow the transfer of resources between all three games. A single global map will gather tankmen, pilots and mariners under a common tussle for world domination.”

• TripleCripple says:

War, huh yeah. What is it good for? Absolutely nothing, oh hoh, oh.

• Don Reba says:

You don’t know anything about no war.

• TripleCripple says:

Fortunately I do not. Null nix zero nada.

• Don Reba says:

Let me show your goofy ass how to do this:
            — War, huh, yeah. What is it good for? Absolutely nothing.
            — You don’t know anything about no war.
            — Everybody knows war.

(please don’t ban me for quoting Rush Hour)

• TripleCripple says:

You think my ass is goofy? Why, thank you! *blush*

2. kaffis says:

So when does World of Tanks get renamed “World of Wartanks”?

• Loyal_Viggo says:

Over SerbB’s dead body, which can’t come soon enough.

• Iain_1986 says:

Erm…when Tanks become a viable commercial transport option?

Planes does not usually mean war.
      Ships does not usually mean war.
      Tanks….does. Unless Virgin have announced a new Virgin Tank fleet?

3. wondercaz says:

How does this compare to warthunder?

• BwenGun says:

War Thunder is miles better in terms of gameplay. World of Warplanes still has horrible flight and control models that makes flying a chore and aiming a pain. Also WoWP looks horrible in comparison.

• guus says:

Dont forget that almost all of the planes look ridiculous and are mostly fictional, War Thunder is making an effort to put some form of authenticity in the game, the flight models, markings, looks, sounds etc. And i feel like everything in WoWP is mostly bullshit.

• Leb says:

tried WOWP yesterday and hated it

Going to try war thunder, thanks!

• Elmarby says:

Well there you have it. In an article about WoWP the only mention the game gets in the comments section is an unflattering comparison to War Thunder. This is indeed my evaluation about how the games stack up. War Thunder is the Mosquito diving down all guns blazing at a crippled Tante Ju limping along on one engine.

Yes, Mosquito, because WT bothers to have Brits in it. Seriously, what does Wargaming have against the Brits? Just like World of Tanks and indeed the upcoming World of Warships there are no Brits on release.

• Mattressi says:

War Thunder has better arcade mode, better realism mode (WoWP doesn’t even have one), more planes, better flight models, better damage models, significantly better graphics (it is the most beautiful flight sim I’ve ever seen and it runs at max graphics on mid-range hardware), better control options, includes bombers (WoWP doesn’t) and ground targets, and soon the developers will be releasing the ground forces (tanks and possibly AA and/or APCs) portion; with planes and tanks having separate modes as well as a combined forces mode (and ships will be released later). Also, WT has the British, while WoWP for some reason does not. Imagine a game about WWII aircraft which does not have Spitfires or Hurricanes!

The only problem I have with WT is that its economy currently is terrible. Worse still is that the devs only seem to want to make it worse. I really hope they change their course; I’d be sad to see WoWP become the big F2P WWII combat flight sim game, when it truly is awful.

4. sabasNL says:

The irony of releasing last in Europe:

- Europe is the continent where Wargaming is situated
    - Europe is the continent where most of the in-game armies are situated
    - Europe is the continent where most of the in-game maps are situated

Boo, Wargaming, boo.

Also: The trailer is heavily exaggerated. Combat is fun, but not that kind of Hollywood-epic

5. nimzy says:

They used to have the Flying Pancake. Where’d it go?

6. KwisatzHaderach says:

Nice music. Anyone knows where it’s taken from? Or did they make it specifically for this trailer?

7. Dana says:

WoWP is shit. Play Warthunder instead.

8. merbert says:

I was advised about War Thunder on a whim from an EVE buddy.

Flight Sims….not really my thing…..World War 2 games….been there, done that.

I down loaded it just for shits and giggles….

WOW…..

Stunning….and I DO mean STUNNING graphics.

Terrific game-play (and I’m a fussy SOB….at 44 yrs of age, to have a game that makes ME go….”ahhh, just one more” means it HAS to be a bit special.

The sound and music are fantastic, really immersive….everything you’d want and expect.

To the nay sayers….yes it IS still in beta…are there a few things that need tweaking?….yes, perhaps…but IMHO, it’s only in the menu system etc, it’s NOT in the game-play, which is sublime.

It’s been a loooooooong long time since a game (which is free I might add) has impressed me as much as this one has.

You’ve nothing to lose, download it, play it, love it, share it….this is one of those rare beauties where your mates will thank you for putting them wise to it. (http://warthunder.com/)

Haven’t played WOWP yet….but the bar has been set high and proud…it has it’s work cut out for it.

• Mr Bismarck says:

I’ve been really surprised by War Thunder. In arcade mode it’s really a go-kart flightsim, where you just get in and fly. The characteristics of the plane are still important – if you fly your boom and zoomer like a turn fighter you’ll get eaten alive – but there’s no 10 minute start-up sequence and it responds better to a mouse and keyboard than to a joystick, meaning I can loaf on the couch, while having ridiculous fun zooming about in my Chaika biplane.

Then if you want to do things “properly” there are historical and full real battles waiting for you.

They even get the matchmaking (mostly) right – something that was an enormous pain in the shorts in Word of Tanks.

• KhanIHelpYou says:

Warthunder is a pretty fun game, I felt i had the most fun at the lower levels where is a bit of a biplane free for all. Also you get some free ingame payed money when you start, dont just blow it on any old thing till you understand the leveling system.

One caveat however, when i first registered for an account i got a message from google a second later saying someone had tried to access my email account from china. Was all ok: connection blocked, new password etc. But it has made me pretty cautious about other gaijin entertainment products…

• Mr Bismarck says:

I also like that they give you the real money currency (Eagles) for completing the tutorial missions.

If that doesn’t get people to complete the tutorials, nothing will.

9. onecardlarry says:

Chocks Away! – now *that* was a good game

10. Hunchback says:

I suggest checking Warthunder if you are interested in a planes sim/arcade game. WoWP is kinda shit

11. Arkhonist says:

Good job not talking about War Thunder in this article… I really hope nobody plays WoWP ever, War Thunder is flat out better in every respect and I splitting player bases is never a good thing. It also has that tank, planes and ships gameplay wargaming wants to implement.

12. buzzmong says:

I chucked a few hours into this game I was in on the beta.

It’s not a very good game from what I’ve played.

It’s just simply lacking in complexity. Not in the flight controls/models (they’re basic but functional), but down to the fact there’s no tactics.

You can’t play the hide and seek games you could in WoT, and down to how the planes are, a higher class plane is simply all out better than the lower classes.

13. MVR says:

I’ve been playing World of Warplanes since closed beta. With the transition to the open beta, nothing has changed. It still has horrible flight controls. The gameplay is weak. Instead of flying you feel it like riding a tank T-50-2 in the air. It’s not enough to just pull the T-50-2 skin of a fighter and place it in the air.

War Thunder (http://warthunder.com/en/registration?r=2420494) is much better in all terms, from the flight control to graphics and gameplay. You do not even need to have a joystick, mouse and keyboard will be enough.