Tanks Very Much: Men Of War: Assault Squad 2

By Jim Rossignol on July 29th, 2013 at 6:00 pm.

It’s true that I have special feelings about the original MOWAS, so to see a 2 put at the end of that strong, militaristic string of words makes a happy boy. The sequel was announced today with the promise that “Men of War: Assault Squad 2 features new single player style skirmish modes that take players from extreme tank combat to deadly sniper stealth missions.” Of course multiplayer remains at the heart of it, as DigitalMindSoft explain: “To truly bring the battles to life though there is the new 8v8 game mode designed for huge battles on spectacular maps.” Eight versus eight! Holy shit. That revamped engine had better optimise the hell out of proceedings, of there’s going to swearing at Rossignol HQ.

Men of War: Assault Squad 2 is scheduled for a “Q4 2013″ release. My oh my. Where does that leave Call To Arms? We will have to ask.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. Rinox says:

Instant buy.

2. Njordsk says:

8vs8 hmmm.

At least I can sucks without being noticed.

• bstard says:

No you cant, the suckometer just called me here already. Detecting 1 in 16 is much more easy as it is to find you here between all this mindless internet peasantry.

Instant buy as well, when it’s done, out of preorder and does not have any microbollocks or wild-west themed clothing DLC.

3. Dominic White says:

They need to hire the guy responsible for the dynamic campaign mod and make it an official part of the game. That’d elevate the series to absolute godhood.

4. Surlywombat says:

Is this the series that started as Soldiers: Heroes of World War II? I remember that game being really difficult.

• Similar says:

It is. And it was really difficult until you figured out that it shouldn’t be played like a normal RTS game (it was still difficult after that, of course, but in a good way). I bounced off it several times until things clicked for me.

Sneaking my last salvaged tank driven by my last three soldiers past the enemy so I could get to a station where I could refuel and rearm is still one of the better experiences I’ve had in a game.

• EBass says:

If you’re only interested in single player I’d advise against assault squad. Soldiers: Heroes of WW2, Men of War and Faces of War have much better single player campaigns and are much better experiences in single player (IMHO) than assault squad.

The single player Assault squad was basically what you might consider a “Skirmish Mode” of a regular RTS rather than a proper “Campaign”.

5. guygodbois00 says:

Call me names, but for the love of everything that is good about strategy games – what does following translates to, really: “That revamped engine had better optimise the hell out of proceedings, of there‚Äôs going to swearing at Rossignol HQ”? “Proceedings”?”Or there’s going to be”, perhaps?
    Also, great news on the front. There.

6. Keyrock says:

Face of War: AssaultFace 2

• Stellar Duck says:

Not sure if you’re joking about the name or if you’re aware of the series and its history. It started as Soldiers: Heroes of World War II and then became Faces of War before it got the Men of War name.

Not precisely a string of awesome names, but what the hell, the games are great.

7. hunsnotdead says:

There is going to be an open beta test before release too. Aand a closed one before that for Call to Arms backers.

8. Engonge says:

Day 1 purchase

9. Vorrin says:

The first thing I thought, reading this is ‘Oh wow, maybe I’ll finally be able to connect with my friend, get a game going, and actually get to the end without it crashing.’

So, I’m kind of excited but I’m also seeing this mostly as bugfixes for something that really should have been fixed.

Seriously, this game keeps being extremely hostile, which is kind of strange being a multiplayer only game (connecting works esoterically , and yes I do forward ports), having missions that last for hours (so, crashing 1 hour in is especially frustrating) and being out for a number of years (you’d expect at least such badness to be fixed).

This said, so much love for it, I’ll probably just buy it and forget to grumble :D

• hunsnotdead says:

Budget restrictions im afraid(as in: a complete engine overhaul with the removal Gamespy was needed since 2006 and DMS guys just got to the point where they managed that). 1C certainly does not invest Blizzard/THQ/SEGA amounts of funds into their strategy games and it shows. Still, they are the most brilliant flawed diamonds money can buy. ^^

10. WinTurkey says:

Wait, who is developing it? The Men of War devs are working on Nuclear Union and the Assault Squad 1 devs are making that modern game.

• hunsnotdead says:

Digitalmindsoft
      The Men of War co-developers(makers of the prequels and the GEM2 engine Best Way) are working on Nuclear Union, and the Assault Squad 1 devs(MoW co-devs Digitalmindsoft) are making that modern game Call to Arms AND the sequel to MoWAS, MoWAS2.

Fun fact: the ok Red Tide and the more shitty Vietnam and Condemned Heroes standalone MoW expansions were all made by internal 1C studios.

11. Isometric says:

Lest we not forget the mod that lets you play almost all of the Faces of War missions in Men of War

12. GreatBigWhiteWorld says:

This made me so happy that I went out and gave another guy a bj.

13. G-Lord says:

The Call to Arms fundraising page is still online, but I doubt that they will keep working on it at this pace:

Comment on this story