BioShock: Infinite DLC Out Today, Rapture Campaign Soon

By John Walker on July 30th, 2013 at 1:08 pm.

So, as guessed by people paying attention to Ken Levine last night, there’s to be BioShock: Infinite DLC. What a surprise. What’s more of a surprise is that one bit is out today. That is Clash In The Clouds, and is a bunch of challenges. Below you’ve got a trailer for that, and a teaser for something called Burial At Sea, which will be a new campaign set in Rapture!

Clash In The Clouds is a bumper pack of 60 new challenges. It’s been made by Irrational, rather than farmed out, and focuses on combat, encouraging you to combine your weapons, Vigors, gear, etc etc. Complete all sixty and,

“players will unlock exclusives in the Columbian Archeological Society, gaining access to new Voxophones, Kinetoscopes, concept art and more.”

It’s going to cost £3.69 in the UK. Eurogamer have already reviewed it, and gave it an okay 7.

Far more interesting if you ask me is Burial At Sea. It’s a two-part campaign with a new story for Booker and Elizabeth, set in BioShock’s original location, Rapture – pre fall. Each will cost a hefty £10, but are included in the Season Pass – that gets you all three lumps for £16.

Ken Levine says of the still-to-come DLC,

“We are building a Rapture-based narrative experience that is almost entirely built from scratch.”

There’s no word on a release date for that, yet. But Tom “Tom Bramwell” Bramwell of Eurogamer, who Ken Levine seems to love best for some reason, has spoken to the man about what’s to come.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. Bull0 says:

Back to Rapture! I am so in

• BobbyDylan says:

If they announce “back to the van Braun”, I’ll buy.

• arash says:

Or a return to the Citadel Station. seriously though, how in the HELL did sites like Destructoid get off calling this unfinished piece of crap a 10/10 GOTY contender? Levine and co must have been under so much pressure to launch BS:I that NOW we get to the multiplayer. A standalone adventure in Rapture? Yes. more generic multiplayer combat? No thanks.

• DeadDogs says:

Because clearly Destructoid (and pretty much every other review site including RPS) saw something you simply haven’t; and I’d say a good majority of players agree with them. You’re allowed not to like the game, but come on, an “unfinished piece of crap” as you so elegantly put it. Don’t you think you’re exaggerating just a little? Quit getting worked up and just don’t buy the DLC, it’s that simple.

2. Dr_Barnowl says:

“Cash in the Clouds”

Astounded that this wasn’t the first post…

3. John Connor says:

oh yay another generic arena DLC

• zin33 says:

well the game certainly lacked in the challenge department so maybe they get to put some use in all the combat mechanics that were developed but largely underused in the main game

4. RedViv says:

Huh. I did not expect that. Fall of Rapture, is it that? Huh.

5. madeofsquares says:

Niiiice reveal. Are we going to see the fall of Rapture then?

6. Kollega says:

Okay, this “Burial at Sea” thing? That is officially awesome. Some time ago, i thought that a detectiving-adventure set in Rapture or a similar underwater city – just walking around, talking to people and trying to figure out mysterious crimes – would be a very good use of the setting, and now we get it, from Irrational themselves even! Even if it’s not going to be all just walking around solving things, it’ll at least give us the taste of what it could be like.

• LTK says:

This. So much this. Let’s just play Bioshock Noire instead of something where we just have to shoot everything all the time.

• staberas says:

Noire Shock

• CutieKnucklePie says:

A Rapture Reminder: Don’t get your hopes up *too* much on that one. All the Shock games have been combat-heavy and have fighting as the main way to interact with the game world.

• SanguineAngel says:

There was a rather more vocal outcry this time round about wishing for a less violent game. Perhaps he listened? I hope so.

• Yglorba says:

The problem is, it’s not so easy. The basic gameplay itself isn’t designed to let you interact with the world in any way beyond shooting at it — there’s no conversation system, little non-combat application for your powers or any of the game’s other mechanics, and so on. Adding those things seems very very far outside the scope of DLC.

Which is a pity, since Bioshock Infinite felt most comfortable with itself in the non-combat sections. It just didn’t really know what to do with them beyond letting you wander around a bit — I think they’re terrified of any sort of real adventure-gaming or puzzle-oriented elements. DeWitt is a detective, so you’d expect him to occasionally do some, you know, detective-ing, but I guess not.

• Jackablade says:

It doesn’t really need to change mechanically. Just throwing less enemies around so that the story and exploration come into stronger relief would make for a significant improvement.

• cunningmunki says:

Yglorba, all you’re saying is that there is no RPG style multiple choice conversation mechanic, but there are loads of existing mechanics that can be used for a more exploratory type game, and it doesn’t even necessarily need to involve other characters (although there’s no reason why not). Try having a conversation in System Shock 2 (well, other than one in your head that goes like this “aarrrrrrrrrrgggghhhhh, get away from me!”).

• Ross Angus says:

I agree, but I doubt it’s what it will turn out to be this lovely idea. I bounced off Bioshock because of the violence, and avoided Infinite for the same reason. Ken makes such lovely worlds. Why do we have to slaughter to explore them?

• Junkenstein says:

Except, being Bioshock, it’s far more likely to be ‘walk around and shoot everything you see’ rather than ‘talk to people and solve shit’.

• mike2R says:

I’d love this too, but can’t see it happening. It would just be so different from the straight-up (if atmospheric with a greeat story) linear shooter that is the Bioshock series, that it just seems very unlikely.

I’ve given up trying to play them, since I really don’t like playing FPS games (cos I’m crap at them) despite loving the story. I actually prefer watching a decent Let’s Play of them, with the added bonus it’s free.

• LennyLeonardo says:

I absolutely love Booker, and he’s clearly already based on Sam Spade/Dashiell Hammet himeslf, what with the Pinkerton business and the shabby PI office and all that, and the chance to see him get all Maltese Songbird (I think that was my best one) makes me giddy, even if it is mostly shooting.

• jonahcutter says:

I thought Infinite would of been a far better game (and an actual consistently good one) if it had been stealth-based.

Instead of an explosive gun spectacle around every corner, you’d have to sneak and bullshit your way through. With an occasional gunning here and there.

Combine adventure-detective elements and it could of been as legitimately brilliant as so many seemed to think it was.

• crinkles esq. says:

Given how atrocious the plot and writing were on Bioshock 1 (I haven’t played Infinite, so I couldn’t say if it’s improved at all), I can’t see how Irrational would be able to pull off a noir game.

• Yglorba says:

The writing was a bit improved. The best part were the Lutices, who were genuinely charming and should have been used more; but the interactions between Booker and Elizabeth were often charming, too.

(The plot itself… well, it was better than Bioshock 1, but still felt a bit goofy at times, and some sections were still glaringly written to force you to go to place X, then place Y, etc.)

• blackmyron says:

I really didn’t see this coming. I figured we’d get a taste of the original in Infinite, but a whole DLC story? Puts a grin on my face.

7. Pliqu3011 says:

Sooo, more of what we all agreed was the worst part of Binfinite and a 100% fanservice DLC?
    Though I have nothing against more better-grafix Rapture, the whole thing reeks a bit too much of $$$/£££/€€€/[insert local currency here].

• Low Life says:

If they’re making a “fanservice” DLC, doesn’t that mean that they’re making what people want?

I don’t understand people. The first DLC is bad because no one wants it, the others are just a shameful cahsgrab because they’re what the fans want.

• Iamerror says:

Seems like Irrational can’t win whatever they release.

• The Random One says:

A good artist releases things their fans didn’t know they wanted.

• Low Life says:

Well, I doubt a detective story with Brooker and Elizabeth as strangers in Rapture wasn’t exactly what people were expecting for.

• CutieKnucklePie says:

I’m sure there’s going to be a twist to it, there always is with KL (he’s becoming the M. Night of games it seems :P ). Things look like they are being played straight and then something happens which makes you look at the whole story in a different light. Of course, he could just play it all straight for the DLC and make THAT the surprise.

• gunny1993 says:

Can’t be M Night Shamalan, they’ve had 2 good twists in as many games

M Night only ever managed 1

• The Random One says:

Well, the devil’s in the details, I’ll grant you that.

• blackmyron says:

The rule is that no matter how many people like something, whoever doesn’t will make damn sure everyone knows it.
        But honestly, who cares? OP doesn’t like it – hey, great for him/her. They can play whatever games they want, and I’ll be buying this.
        If they actually have a specific point to make, or actual criticism, I’m all ears.

• honuk says:

as we all know, fanservice is the pinnacle of art.

truly bioshock is the voice of our times

• Optimaximal says:

Wait for a Steam Sale on the DLC…

8. LTK says:

Soooo…. Booker and Elizabeth in Rapture, neither apparently ever having been to Columbia. That should be interesting.

9. Milky1985 says:

Story DLC good, but they got some writing to do to get themselves out of the events of infinite. This arena thing, not so much, infinite’s combat wasn’t its best feature so a bit disappointing :/

One of the first season passes i bought cause I liked the base game so much, will also be the last i buy as well cause time from game release to dlc release has been a bit too much for my liking, my own fault on this one really :/

• james.hancox says:

Why do they need to write themselves out of it? It’s another parallel world, another vision of the same underlying story. There’s always a lighthouse.

• woodsey says:

All the ‘writing themselves out’ is in Infinite already.

• gunny1993 says:

Parallel universe story structures by definition are self fixing, all you have to do is say “this be another universe” and it logically works.

That being said i’m content to leave the story as it is and not buy and DLC.

10. DrScuttles says:

Seems like a logical thing to do. It strikes me that what made Rapture interesting was precisely that it had fallen, and to transpose Colombia’s relatively flat and lifeless appearance back to Rapture will wipe away much of the intrigue for the setting. Kind of like the Star Wars prequels.
    But I’m sure loads of people will dig it; it’s interesting to go full alternate reality interpretation of a game for your DLC. While I have plenty of problems with Infinite, it’s wonderful that they can easily get away with that. I’d just care for slightly less fanservice (he says while chafing over the fact that they didn’t throw Booker and Elizabeth analogues onto the Von Braun for a DLC).
    Then again, I preferred Bioshock 2 to the others by far so feel free to disregard everything I write ever.

• gunny1993 says:

“I preferred Bioshock 2″

… GET OUT

..unless you mean gameplay wise, in which case i would agree with you

The story however, was meh

• DrScuttles says:

In every way. But hey, opinions.

• Jason Moyer says:

I agree. I preferred BioShock 2 in every way, as well (and this is one of the reasons I was really looking forward to the original, Jordan Thomas-led XCOM shooter). The story in BioShock 1 would have probably been more interesting if I hadn’t already played through it when it was called System Shock 2.

• blackmyron says:

I was excited when the early material talked about how Bioshock 2 would be set before and after the fall of Rapture… and the Infinite DLC was what I envisioned, not the ridiculous multiplayer action.

• Nick says:

Screw the Von Braun, I want to go back to Citadel.

11. TsunamiWombat says:

I rarely get genuinely excited but I am genuinely excited

12. onsamyj says:

“Hey, looks like we have some problems with ‘Infinite’: gamers don’t like pointless gameplay elements and broken story. Quickly, throw Rapture at them – everybody loves Rapture!”

But I’m on board, I want Rapture and I alredy have Season Pass.

• Eddy9000 says:

“Broken story”

Could you say a bit more about this? I thought the story was excellent, the narrative I think was less important than the themes, but I didn’t see how it was broken.

• onsamyj says:

It is time-traveling story shoehorned in alternate-dimensions setting – it’s not working: Booker can’t stop all versions of himself, precisely because there are endless possibilities, in at least one of which he’s not going to stop himself. In conversation with a friend, I “fixed” it with borrowing from “Looper” – it makes more sence, with very minor adjustments, if we talking about time-traveling Booker: future-Comstock lost his daughter, so he bought her from past-self, and then past-Booker is trying to rescue her from future-Comstock; Elizabeth can open time-tears and alter reality in that way – they can travel back in time and prevent death of gunsmith, for example (the only problem is twins, so it’s only one big change you need to make).

13. The Random One says:

Binfinite DLC set in Rapture, eh?

I don’t sink very highly of that.

14. Makariel says:

My excitement for the BI-story-DLC went from “Meh” to “Wow yes please!” in the time it took me to read the paragraph.

15. soundofsatellites says:

Not to get into a lot of tipification and criticism over the noir genre, but I do wander if they even realize that the tropes and characters of the genre used here (or at least in the trailer) have a strong sexual overtone??

I mean, Ken Levine’s pinnacle of viddyagaem art is bioshock: a incest story?

16. engion3 says:

That first DLC is all combat? I hate the combat. Discuss.

• Makariel says:

If you want to discuss your feelings towards the high-flying combat, I demand to be paid like a shrink. Otherwise my enthusiasm sinks rock bottom.

• LennyLeonardo says:

I actually really enjoyed the combat. Um… discuss.

• Branthog says:

Couldn’t agree more. The combat in this game was rather ridiculous. It was something I had to do to get to more story. I bought the Season Pass before the game even launched, because of course I want more damn dystopian Bioshock experiences! Unfortunately, I won’t be touching this one. This isn’t why I come to Bioshock. I’ll wait until the narrative stuff comes out.

At least we’ll be getting the better DLC fairly soon, I suspect (it is all supposed to be out before March of 2014 – which is only about half a year away).

(Speaking of which, I never really understood why you had to have your guns out non-stop in this game. Even during scenes where you were just wandering around consuming narrative content in areas where you were never going to encounter bad guys… I felt that was really … odd… I wanted a “holster my fucking guns” button).

• CutieKnucklePie says:

Yeah I got the Season Pass too with my preorder but most likely won’t be playing this one, instead rather wait for the narrative DLC to come out *sigh* by the end of the year.

• CutieKnucklePie says:

You’re my favorite customer.

17. Jason Moyer says:

Booker is Atlas and/or Shodan.

18. Shazbut says:

RE: Burial at Sea trailer – Was that one of those jokes along the lines of “My name is Dave, but you can call me Dave” or did she say her name clearly and with great import, take a slow drag on her cigarette, and then clearly say her name again with great import? Because if it’s the latter, then that is FREAKING CRAP and I’m having none of that.

“What’s your name?”

“Elizabeth…”

“Well hello, Elizabeth. Now say, can you tell me where to get a train ticket to th…”

“…my name is… Elizabeth”

“o_O”

19. analydilatedcorporatestyle says:

Cockwombles

20. kdz says:

I always thought Infinite was a very complete experience and was worried about how they would fit in the DLC. Well, it seems they are doing an alternate universe take on the story and it’s also kind-of semi-farsical noire crime story? Awesome.

And turns out I have had the Season Pass since day one – it was included in the game. Even more awesome!

21. Eddy9000 says:

Wasn’t there a theory that Booker was Andrew Ryan, or at least related to him because he could use the DNA activated bathysphere in the Infinite rapture level?

Surprised no-one mentioned that yet.

• Yglorba says:

It doesn’t even seem like it needs to be mentioned, since it was all but explicitly stated when the multiple-worlds thing and its relationship to the Bioshock franchise was summarized.

• CutieKnucklePie says:

Well Booker would be Jack. In the “There’s always a lighthouse” reading the analog to Ryan would be Comstock.

Comment on this story