Brothers: A Tale Of Two Sons PC Bound

By Craig Pearson on August 8th, 2013 at 2:00 pm.

Yo, bro! Yolo, bro.
I’d like to think that Starbreeze’s self-co-operation game Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons came into being when Creative director Josef Fares looked at a modern game controller. He held it in his hand, probably while wearing protective gloves, and spotted the symmetry between the d-pad and the four face buttons. Then he shouted “eureka”, and ran around the offices showing it to everyone. Work stopped for the day, a team meeting was held, he was reprimanded for shoving the controller into the CEO’s face while he was on the toilet, but everyone eventually came around to the idea of controlling two characters. It was so bound to that moment of Xbox epiphany that it only came out as an exclusive on Microsoft’s RRODbox yesterday, but it is now on the way to the PC. I’m told it’s absolutely brilliant, too.

Like 9/10 brilliant over on Eurogamer, though that review is glowing because of a narrative moment of wonder in the puzzle-based adventure game. The co-op puzzles and general story are apparently just very good, which I will totally accept. Anyway, you’ll be able to find out for yourself with yourself on August 28th, which is when it arrives on Steam for about £10/$15. Here’s what it looks like.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. laijka says:

Actually, Josef Fares is a film director so I doubt much running around was done in the Starbreeze offices.

At least initially..

2. BTAxis says:

“Self-co-operation” sounds remarkably saucy.

3. tengblad says:

I bought, and finished, this game on the Xbox yesterday. And while it is good, I’m not sure I feel it is worth all the 9 out 10s it is receiving. Most of the praise stems for a single moment at the end of the game. And it really is good, a clever little moment of storytelling through gameplay, but it doesn’t really excuse the unwieldy controls and rather rote puzzle design.

4. LennyLeonardo says:

Yeah, it is absolutely brilliant. It starts off good and just gets better. Loved it.

5. frightlever says:

Mouse and keyboard guys will be incoming any second now…

• jonahcutter says:

Here, allow me:

I was curious if they have even managed to even work out a system for it to play with m&k.

If the controls are simple enough, say movement keys, jump and interaction, it should be fairly easy to use just a keyboard to control both characters simultaneously.

Though I don’t know if the above fulfills your desire for a forum fight.

• frightlever says:

You can’t fight what you can’t reach.

• Creeping Death says:

The controls on the 360 are simply left stick moves one character, left trigger is interact, and the other side for the other character. So piss easy to make work on a keyboard really.

Though I’d still plug in a controller. Some games are just meant to be played with one.

6. Moraven says:

There has been a few other games in the past that have used this dual movement. It is just hard to remember them.

7. bstard says:

I got distracted by the ‘Dress up games with the Tooth Fairy’ commercial.

• Gap Gen says:

Why would I want to dress up a game? Although, now you mention it, my old DVD boxes could do with a spruce up. A nice dress, maybe some glitter. And yes, teeth harvested from children.

8. Ross Angus says:

I think I might have been on this site too long. What is a “9/10″, and how does one use it?

• SuicideKing says:

It’s in dB, so 10/10 is twice as good as 7/10.

• Gap Gen says:

I think, but I’m not sure, that they’re symbols used to denote value, though I still have issues understanding firstly why the 9 is separated from the 1 (has it been naughty? Will this separation continue as such, or is it a time-limited punishment?) and secondly how the 1 and 0 commute. If I remember correctly from school, the multiplication of 0 and any other number results in the 0 subsuming all before it, but I can’t rule out more complex forms of multiplication, like matrices or rabbits.

So here’s my thinking. First, the 0 swallows the 1 (caveats as above, of course), then after a certain cool-down time (but how long?) the 9 is released by the /, and is in turn swallowed similarly to leave only zero, or a single ellipse. This theory needs work, though, and anyone with ideas for addressing the issues I’ve raised should feel welcome to pitch in.

• Ross Angus says:

[carries the one, multiplies the matrix by i]

Well, that can’t be right. The answer I’ve come up with is “Tuesday”.

• Gap Gen says:

Well, the Eurogamer review was published on a Wednesday, so you’re not far off. Did you remember to carry the shopping?

9. Gap Gen says:

So can we get a source code version or are they just releasing the binaries?

10. S Jay says:

Forever alone co-op.

11. jrodman says:

There’s a bunch of prior games using similar control schemes. For example Cookie & Cream.\

12. Berzee says:

I’m toying with the idea of googling the REMARKABLE MOMENT at the end of the game to see if it’s worthy. Does that make me simply terrible?

• LennyLeonardo says:

Don’t do it! There are plenty of great moments, but the wonderful thing about the ending is the way the controls/mechanics gel with the narrative theme(s) Actually this happens throughout but it pays off big time at the end. It would spoil it all if you read about it.

• tengblad says:

I would argue that even KNOWING the moment exists lessens the impact of it. When I played the game I had already seen the reviews and knew that something was coming, and when it finally arrived I was a little bit let down by it. I could still see the cleverness in it, of course, but I feel like the emotional impact was lessened because I was anticipating it. If it had come as a complete surprise I imagine it would’ve been a better experience.

13. adam.jutzi says:

I know he said fantasy world, but I heard fancy world.
    Why couldn’t it just be fancy? Fantasy is played out like zombies.

Still will play.

• gwathdring says:

I think it is very difficult to play out “fantasy.” It depends very much on the kind of fantasy, and I didn’t hear anything about orcs and elves, so …

14. Marijn says:

“spotted the symmetry between the d-pad and the four face buttons. Then he shouted “eureka”,”

Except the game doesn’t use the d-pad or the face buttons. Sorry.

Comment on this story