Today Is A SNOW News Day

By Craig Pearson on August 9th, 2013 at 3:00 pm.

That is, today is a day where I have a tiny bit more information and screenshots on the game SNOW. I would still be writing about SNOW on a busy day, because it’s a bit bonkers. A free-to-play open-world winter sports game that enables players to explore a mountain on skis and snowboards? I’m betting the developers are avid winter sporters.

It makes sense. You take the niche you enjoy and sort of gamify it. So SNOW, as implausible as it sounds, will allow you and friends to just sort of ski and roam around a mountain. That sounds like fun to me: sliding, enjoying the view and the physics, finding interesting places. I want to ride the ski-lifts with a buddy and admire the piste. As you can see from the shots and the short video, they’re making the most of the Cryengine in that regard. If you’re more interested in a structured experience, events and challenges will task your specific snow-boarding or skiing skills, while competitions are timed events with unique rewards.

The free-to-play part looks like it’ll be taken care of with ski fashions: they’re signing up brands, so I’d imagine kitting out your avatar will be a costly business. You should be able to find out how costly sometime this year, when it launches.

The screens are mahoosive. I’d suggest you open them in another tab.

, , .

1. meloncrab says:

I remember a very old PC Game where you could choose one of several prominent skiing resorts and could not only spawn at preset points along the route, but were also able to drop in on any point by helicopter, even off track.

Edit: Tried to find it, but no success. I can confirm it was not SkiFree and did not involve yetis.

• Serpok says:

Stoked Rider per-chance?

There were Stoked Rider in 2001 and Stoked Rider Big Mountain Snowboarding 2006 and some others in that serie. They had a helicopter you speak of and quite fancy snow physics.

Game was a sim by nature: no flashy SSX-style button-combo 360-ollie-twists and tricks, but precise manual control of board and body.

• meloncrab says:

That was probably it. But mostly because I guess there aren’t many games like this around.

• ElectricBanjo says:

Perhaps Soulride? I remember playing these virtual resort things a long time ago.

• Busk says:

Definitely SSX3. Played the hell out of it as a child.

• Ross Angus says:

Tuxracer?

• Spectre-7 says:

Boarder Zone maybe?

2. MrThingy says:

Aw… for a minute I thought this was a Midwinter remake and got all excited. :}

3. faelnor says:

This actually… doesn’t look very good. Mainly because of the uniform trees, blue fog and lack of contrast I suppose? I don’t really know, I’ve been dying for a pretty PC ski/snowboard sim for a long time so I should be excited but this looks flat to me. And seeing it in action doesn’t alleviate any other concerns about the gameplay :(

Also, completely unrelated but I wish RPS’ lightbox-like script wouldn’t capture middle mouse button clicks and let me use it as it should to open pictures in a new tab.

• fitzroy_doll says:

Middle click for images in a new tab works for me (FF 23).

• HothMonster says:

In Chrome (at least for me) it treats a middle click like a left click. I can right click and select “open in new tab” and it works but its a bit annoying.

• i59dev says:

SNOW dev here: We’re a small team of three on a game nearing its alpha phase. We’ll be taking good looks at all these issues in the polishing phase.

distantlurker says:

Please can you do a 1 on 1 interview with yourself so that Craig can get back to his bottle of QC. He gets cranky in the afternoons without a couple of bottles in him ^^

• Mctittles says:

Watching the video the character looks very detached from the scene. It looks more like there is a camera moving down the hill and a separate image is superimposed on top of that. Perhaps some better lighting would match him in?

Cinek says:

I would also say: Horrible physics.
      seems like all of the character movements are simple short pre-animated sequences that play one after another. Such a shame…

• i59dev says:

We have already done tons of improvements to the animations since this video was made, and we’ll be doing lots more in the polishing phase. It is good feedback though, we’re planning on adding more idle movement to the existing animations to remove the ‘static’ feel.

4. Buemba says:

Since the latest SSX was a massive disappointment I hope this manages to scratch my snowboarding itch.

• db1331 says:

Really? The Deadly Descents campaign stuff was awful, but I got a lot of enjoyment out of the MP.

• Buemba says:

Don’t have any friends with that game, so the autolog was mostly wasted on me.

Plus, the physics and bottomless chasms in that game would have ruined it for me even if I had a ton of people to compete against. Maybe I’m to blame for still clinging to the twin greatness of Tricky and SSX 3, but I can’t name a single thing I enjoyed about the new one.

• db1331 says:

I didn’t have a single friend on PSN at all when I started playing. I added a couple people from this site, and a few others, then a couple more the game recommended. Pretty soon I was getting invites from friends of my friends for SSX. I never had any shortage of people’s scores to tackle.

I agree that the pit falls were complete bullshit. The rewind mechanic sucked too. And the auto-cling rail mechanic was a little too grabby. I still had some fun with the game though. I liked collecting and hiding tags on the courses, and competing in the big money tournaments.

RedViv says:

Looks cool.

6. cristhianfs says:

Will Snowden be a playable character?

7. bit.bat says:

Show me some crazy ragdoll crashing and i’m sold!

8. Reapy says:

I was a huge fan of the Amped series, though more the earlier ones. This is a nice idea, though the execution seems off, if they could get a little more physics, add ice patches, deep snow, groomed snow etc and have a really nice feeling of actually going down the mountain, would be totally awesome.

Would be great to even add some difficulty in just going down the mountain, turn wrong and catch your downhill edge and face plant, stuff like that. That way you can be lighter on the things to do side of stuff as just going down the mountain and exploring new routes would keep you pretty busy.

9. SominiTheCommenter says:

I don’t see Shaun White Snowboarding mentioned here, which is a shame. Great game.

Gap Gen says:

And then after a certain play time a yeti chases you down and eats you.

11. Dr.Green says:

Less meh graphics and more amped 2 plz, that game was the tits

12. Shadowcat says:

So… they want me to pay money to look at advertising? I guess it’s probably a winning strategy — god knows there are enough people who pay to wear advertising — but I can’t say the notion holds any appeal, personally.