Wasteland Kings: The Anti-Binding Of Isaac

By Nathan Grayson on August 20th, 2013 at 7:00 pm.

Vlambeer is making yet another videogame like it’s their job or something. They have probably lost their minds, but we may as well reap the rewards. Originally a quick and dirty Mojam prototype dystopia-’em-up, Wasteland Kings is now evolving into a full-on action-roguelike (or “roguelike-like,” as designer JW Nijman describes it) with heaps of characters, procedurally generated locations, and of course, guns. In practice, that means you run from area to area, dodging and blasting circles around enemies in a desperate bid for survival. All the while, you mutate new, largely randomized powers and pick up better, stranger weapons. Sounds a bit like fellow action-roguelike The Binding of Isaac, doesn’t it? And while the inspiration is certainly there, Nijman insists that Wasteland Kings is millions of cracking, sun-parched miles away from a carbon copy.

It was the feel that I first noticed.

Binding of Isaac was really random. We want to be more skill-based.

It was so characteristically Vlambeer – crunchy, loud, responsive, intoxicating – that there was no mistaking Wasteland Kings’ origins. It’s become the diabolically eclectic duo’s sole calling card no matter how many genres, platforms, and worlds they jump between. Other developers have signature mechanics, characters, or beards, but Vlambeer games speak to the senses. Touch. Sound. Sight. I’m sure they taste pretty distinct, too.

I put a single singing slug into a wriggling maggot baddie, and everything clicked. It just felt right. Before long, I was dodging between streams of bandit bullets, rolling, and mowing down hundreds of assorted jerk conglomerates with the best of them. And that’s when I knew I wasn’t playing that other action-roguelike that – despite its flaws – I still rogue-love so much.

“The shooting has to feel really good,” explained Nijman. “Compared to other Vlambeer games, it still has that stuff where it’s a simple game and it’s all about action, but this is also a bigger world. The combat needs to have a lot of impact. When you shoot even the normal pistol, it’s like, ‘BANG BANG BANG,’ and the screen shakes. Binding of Isaac is just shooting tear drops.”

Isaac’s ability to pack a similar punch was, in part, tremendously held back by its finicky Flash-based engine – something creator Edmund McMillen and co thought to be such a pressing issue that it necessitated a remake in an entirely new engine. So Vlambeer is off to a very smart start, but that’s not the only place where the duo feels like action roguelike kingpin faltered. Randomization is key in great roguelikes, but Nijman is of the opinion that Isaac went a little overboard.

“I really liked Binding of Isaac, but it was really random,” admitted Nijman. “If you were lucky, you were going to beat the game. If you were unlucky, you were dead.”

“We want to be more skill-based. It’ll be like, ‘You either deal with this or this. Pick one.’ But you can never count on anything to happen. The spawning is totally random. There are going to be games where one-in-ten times you’ll see a golden scorpion or something.”

And sure enough, I did feel like my twitch skills factored in a little bit more as I shotgunned my way through bugs and bandits alike, but blind luck definitely got me out of a few tight spots and into a few others. Certain pickups saved the day. Certain weapons felt markedly more powerful than others. Each level up brought me a writhing buffet of new bodily evolutions to pick from, and – at least on paper – many combos seemed rather devastating. Thing is, Nijman wants that to be part of Wasteland Kings’ appeal. Just not all of it, and when it is, you have to work for it.

“Like one mutant, he only has two HP, but you can pick a mutation that gives you four more HP so you don’t die in one hit,” Nijman explained. “But the challenge you’re going through to get that skill is random because you get a random bunch of perks each time you level up. So it’s like, ‘OK, I’m going with melting, and I’m going with this strategy. I’ll probably go with grenade launcher and a sledgehammer.’ But then at the start of the game you’re not offered that skill and you don’t find the grenade launcher or sledgehammer, so you have to completely change your plans. But it’s all still got to be more or less balanced. Otherwise it’s a shitty game.”

I was only able to make a couple runs with a very limited roster of characters (one was a mountain of steroids and could dual-wield; another was a part-policeman, part, er, cactus who could roll-dodge; the final roster will apparently be orders of magnitude more insane), so I had no choice but to take Nijman’s word for it.

He went on to tell me about a damn-near godly combo involving one character’s ability to fire two bullets in a single shot, a double-barrel shotgun, and an upgrade ability called Wasteland Prince. If I were to combine all those with another perk that makes my shots bounce, I could theoretically “clear whole levels in one shot if you angle them right.” How do you balance that? I haven’t the foggiest, but it’s not like Vlambeer is any stranger to cramming wildly dissimilar items and upgrades under the same mechanical roof.

Again, though, this is hardly about popping out the unholy, blood-and-feces-puking lovechild of Binding of Isaac and Vlambeer’s sensibilities. Rather, Vlambeer’s doing its own take on a similar genre, and Nijman is quite confident that his outfit’s signature sensibilities will shine through in the end. Because in a very big way, Wasteland Kings is meant to serve as both a brand new game and a tribute to Vlambeer’s past.

“It feels really good after something like Luftrausers – which is really right and minimalist – to make something with a bit more breathing space design-wise,” he said. “One secret I really want is that you can find a rusty spaceship, and then the screen goes black and it says, ’400 days later.’ And then you leave the ship and you’re on Venus, and it has all the enemies from GUN GODZ. And there’s golden guns and stuff. And then, at the end of the level, there’s another spaceship, it says, ’400 days later,’ and you’re back on Earth again.”

But Nijman isn’t pushing himself to cram in as many references, winks, and nods as humanly (or fire bearably) possible. For Vlambeer, Wasteland Kings is all about freedom, and right now just about anything goes.

“We can just fit whatever we want in there,” he concluded. “It’s fun to go to work and be like, ‘We should just add a chicken character, and his ability is that he can die of decapitation but keep running for ten seconds without his head to try and find a health pack.’ That’s probably going into the game, actually.”

Wasteland Kings will be available to all via Steam Early Access soon. Vlambeer also plans to stream a significant portion of the game’s development process on its Twitch channel.

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. golem09 says:

Full Mojo Rampage is the Anti-Binding of Isaac.

• Patricia011 says:

my classmate’s sister-in-law makes $83 hourly on the computer. She has been fired for ten months but last month her check was $17572 just working on the computer for a few hours. Here’s the site to read more ..>>> http://7.ly/UMg

2. Noburu says:

Looks like I could like this much more than I liked BoI. BoI was good, but the randomness sometimes was a bit much.

3. Tori says:

Speaking of Isaac!

4. Poklamez says:

Isaac does have a strong Skill element. A good player can certainly put seemingly bad items to a good use and get very far in the game. They will probably collect so many upgrades that a bad run is still a relative good run.
    I love Isaac, and an Isaac “clone” (sorry, I couldn’t stop myself) done by Vlambeer would probably take up a few hundred hours of my life.

• blind_boy_grunt says:

i think they are underselling isaac a bit, especially in the beginning there are not that many overpowered items(you actually unlock them). Especially the original isaac without the extension was a really well balanced game. You could probably beat hell without upgrades, but from time to time you got overpowered runs which are fun but from time to time you got “hunger” runs, where you never could get what you needed(keys, especially keys) but still persevere and that was also fun in a way when you beat it. So to me the randomisation added more than it took away.

edit:
      i thought about it a bit, and especially why i like isaac so much and in the end i have to say, i kind of agree with the vlambeers. Isaac isn’t much of a skill game. You have to have a base amount of skill at moving and shooting but there are a finite amount of room and enemies, after a while you recognize patterns and act upon them semi-automatically. The actual game is a different one, it’s about how to use your keys, your money, do i take the deal with the devil? do i use the bomb now for the secret room or do i hope to get a blue rock in the next level? You weigh odds against each other on partial knowledge and try to keep ahead. Sometimes really good play can carry you, but game knowledge and using it on the whole is more important, and if you say that is lame than you probably will never like actual rogue-likes.

• viewtifuljon says:

Re: your edit

I’m not sure I completely agree with that. I mean, the decisions you have to make (how to spend your resources) are fairly far and few between. You might have a difficult decision like 3 or 4 times a game. Generally there is a “correct” decision when it comes to allocating your resources.

To me, the most important determining factor in a successful Isaac run is just not getting hit, which comes down to twitch reflexes. I mean, sure you sometimes get screwed by a blood machine, but usually if I can just avoid damage, I’ll be all right. The items will come.

I definitely welcome more top-down-shooter roguelight goodness though. It’s a genre we’ve seen work really well with Isaac and now Teleglitch as well.

• Baines says:

I’d like Isaac better if I didn’t hate the inertia on shots. It really messes with twitch reflexes.

That, and projectiles at different heights, where you have to follow shadows instead of the projectile itself to actually tell where they are.

Or some of the really cheap/annoying enemy and room designs, where rooms are built around making an already annoying enemy even more annoying.

Or the–

Yes, I had plenty of issues with Isaac’s design. It was a game I wanted to like, but it did so many things in ways that I didn’t like.

• JFS says:

I totally agree with you. This was the one passage in the article that made me lift my eyebrow. There were very few situations in Isaac where skill couldn’t save you.

• Deadly Sinner says:

Exactly. If luck was the biggest factor in completing the game, no item runs (like this: http://i.imgur.com/uBIF2.png ) would not be possible.

5. roguewombat says:

Vlambeer is the company I tell other aspiring game devs to be like. Can’t wait to play Wasteland Kings.

6. deadly.by.design says:

I picked up Isaac on the cheap via a bundle, but the actual game didn’t appeal to me for several reasons.

This title looks like a tighter experience, though, and it also lacks Edmund’s emotional baggage. I may check it out.

• MikoSquiz says:

Mm. I loved Binding of Isaac in theory, but just couldn’t get over how lousy the movement and shooting were. The idea of Vlambeer doing their own take makes me a little moist.

7. daphne says:

Man, that “so like Vlambeer!” thing is getting old real quick. I think I’ve seen the phrasing a hundred times already. Of course it’s fucking like Vlambeer, it’s their own game. What’s next, an Increpare hands-on with the verdict of “Lavelle off the charts, this thing here!”? Lazy writing.

• GernauMorat says:

Diddums

• Phendron says:

When you write about a company that’s strongest point is crafting sense, style, and attention to small details, it makes sense to market the developers as a product. You sound quite persnickety here.

8. ffordesoon says:

Vlambeer remind me of 90′s-era Treasure.

That may be the highest compliment I can pay to any developer.

9. granderojo says:

This preview read more like someone doing a wine tasting than an actual preview, which is fine, I guess.

EDIT: This was harsh, I re-read the preview. I’m still confused at how this game will actually play but I was being overly critical.

10. Lambchops says:

I can’t say that I’m convinced by this that they’ve moved away from the luck thing with BoI, particularly when they were describing the particularly overpowered character. Given that to me “needs more skill that BoI” could quite possibly mean (and I’d be unsurprised given Super Crate Box) “a fuck ton harder than BoI” which would basically iron out that it needs just as much luck (if not more) than in BoI.

Anyway, as Isaac proved the proof is in the balance. Pre-expansion Isaac was more or less perfectly balanced (from my perspective) and I sunk hours into it. Post-expansion there was just so much stuff thrown in that it just didn’t seem quite right and it also veered into taking too long to complete a run.

If this is well balanced then it could well be right down my street, I’m looking forward to it.