Divinity: Original Sin Condemned To 2014

By Nathan Grayson on September 27th, 2013 at 11:00 am.

Let he who is without sin cast the first stone. The Bible said that, and – now that we will all be without Divinity: Original Sin until early 2014 – I’m pretty sure we’re technically allowed to throw rocks at each other for a few months. You know what that means, don’t you? STOOOOOOOONE FIIIIIIIIIIGHT! Hahaha, nearly got me Adam, hahaha there go three of my teeth, hohoho good one Lucy – you always did have the best throwing arm of any of us. Whew, what a riot. Also, I think we may have started an actual riot. While I tend to that, you go below to a) avoid losing an eye and b) watch a video explaining why stretch goals are to blame for Divinity’s definitively human error.

Original Sin is now set to release on February 28th, 2014, with a backer alpha planned for November and a beta set for January-ish. Stretch goals stretched its path to the finish line, as both the above video and a post on Larian’s exceedingly successful Kickstarter explain:

“As we were integrating the stretch goals in the game in the last couple of months, we realised they affected a lot of the game systems and this would be more work than we thought.”

“Deeper character creation (traits and talents) made us rethink the stats system, the inclusion of companions meant we had to have more party support, and the day and night schedules affected all the behaviours of  NPCs. And even the world they live in! Because where else would these people live and sleep?”

Given that previous Divinity games have suffered pretty severely from mad dashes onto shelves, Larian opted to take its time instead of shoehorning in barebones skeletons of its lofty promises. So, in the end, we’ll get a much better game. We’ll just have to wait a decent many extra months.

Not that I’m complaining. I’ve got plenty on my plate for the remainder of 2013, and Original Sin seems like the kind of role-player that’ll benefit from some breathing room. I look forward to soaking in its world – rifling through its most cobwebbed of corners and getting to know each and every reanimated skeleton on a personal basis before I punch their skulls off – not rushing through it.

, .

Top comments

1. Spoon Of Doom says:

I’m glad to hear they take the time to implement all that stuff properly and integrate it into the game world instead of half assing it because of unrealistic deadlines. I’m quite excited to see how the game turns out.

2. MiniMatt says:

More biblical satire should end in kitten videos. Can’t help but think a lot of the worlds problems could have been avoided had we discovered this earlier.

1. Spoon Of Doom says:

2. BTAxis says:

Rethinking game design because of stretch goals doesn’t sound good to me. Especially at such a late stage. I hope the game won’t end up suffering for it.

• RProxyOnly says:

They aren’t ‘changing’ design, just expanding it, there is a difference. (although all script behaviours that WERE done have had to be rewritten due to the day/night cycle.. Axel wasn’t a happy puppy, lol.)

I’m confident Larian of all people know what they are doing… Either way I just enjoy listening to Krill’s update song.

• The Dark One says:

I don’t know, all the examples they listed seem to come from a place of making the different systems feel more cohesive. Seems like a good move to me.

3. Sheng-ji says:

Of all the risks of kickstarter, the least worrying one is devs not hitting their release dates, especially if they are implementing a bunch of extra content!

Lord Custard Smingleigh says:

The most worrying one is that we’re actually funding a megalomaniac’s world-conquering plot. Man, the number of times a promising-looking indie game turns out to be a plot to hold the world’s cheese supply to ransom…

• Sheng-ji says:

-= Looks slyly from left to right and cancels kickstarter =-

“How did he figure it all out?”

4. MiniMatt says:

5. KingFunk says:

When’s it ready? When it’s ready!

That’s the way to do it. Looking forward to this – reckon it’ll be the game I wanted DKS to be… I remember the producer (I think) said he was aiming to recreate the feeling he got playing Ultima VII. I want that feeling too.

6. Keyrock says:

It’s cool, they can take the time to stuff more awesome into the game. They get a pass because they’re Belgian. Also, because they’re awesome. Also, because I never expected the game to release in 2013 in the first place, I always assumed it would get pushed back to 2014.

7. RProxyOnly says:

I backed this at the box level, I’m very glad I did.

Big fan of larian’s stuff, Divine Divinity was a thoroughly brilliant game, criminally under rated, and although I certainly can admit there have been a few problems along the way, I’m considering throwing another $205 at them simply to go from boxed to signed boxed. The extra work that’s gone into the game makes it all so much better.

You should watch the new update video and see the differences that have had to be made in general (a lot, including bigger fuller play areas, basically a village has had to be turned into a city, lol… plus more) because of the feature that they have to add thanks to the KS.

Respect is deserved, they are definately not half arsing it.