Infinite Crisis Dev Diary Reminds Us It Exists

By Craig Pearson on October 10th, 2013 at 11:00 am.

Looking back at the coverage of the officially licensed DC MOBA game Infinite Crisis, it’s clear that the game is protected by some form of memory spell: Adam forgot all about it, it slid by Jim, and I was about to write something similar, and … hey, there’s a DC MOBA coming out/is out in paid beta. Fancy that. Infinite Crisis is a free-to-play lane-pusher set in the DC universe. It had to happen, eh? Below is a development diary that shows how the game’s destructible environments and a dynamic event system will make the maps a bit more varied. Why didn’t anyone tell whoever I am about this?

It probably just needs a more memorable name. I understand Infinite Crisis and its place in comic lore, so I guess they chose the name to give them access to the multiverse and have more than one Joker, etc. But it’s also been a few years since that particular run trundled off the printers, so it’s not as if it has a huge relevance nowadays. After all, it’s not as if we need really need an excuse to see a group of super heroes and villains hitting things.

But what do I know? I tried to come up with a new name, but I failed so miserably to be funny that I refuse to show you. It was like reading the WWE list of alternative names for ‘Stone Cold’ Steve Austin, and one of them was ‘Baron Von Ruthless’.

Has anyone shelled out to access the closed beta?

__________________

« | »

, , , , , .

1. InternetBatman says:

There should be a WWE moba.

2. maximiZe says:

They are still keeping this on life support?

3. MajorManiac says:

The title image for this article made me think this was a Saints Row dlc. Shame it isn’t.

4. skyturnedred says:

Last I played it was buggy as hell. And to be honest, I don’t really care enough to go find out how it has improved.

5. Sic says:

I don’t get this surge of MOBA games.

I mean, I understand how it happened (the mechanics of it), I just don’t get how publishers that think it will be successful still has a job. It’s not like they haven’t been in similar situations before. Just a couple of years ago they were churning out “WoW killers”. How is it not obvious yet? If you don’t know what makes a game good, you can’t make a better game.

With MOBA’s, you have games like DOTA2 and LoL, and you have the rest.

The people making new MOBA’s just don’t understand. People aren’t playing these games because of the rough outline of what you’re supposed to do, or because of the theme. It’s not about the lanes, the towers or the heroes. People play these games because they are polished to the point of being games that can truly be played competitively. Where there can be a meta game, where the skill ceiling hasn’t been spotted yet.

This is fun for all the DC fans, obviously, and it might be played by a select few, but it will not be a success.

I know what the publishers are thinking, they’re going, “this is perfect, we’re making a clone of hugely successful games, and in addition we’re slapping our own IP on it, that has the benefit of existing market penetration. We’re going to be rich!”

When will anyone sensible be hired in modern game publishing? Will it ever happen?

• Cyampagn says:

Right on spot.

• bstard says:

Because of this curious phenomena called time. Planning. Implementation. Setting up some Greenlight page. All the hassle of getting the Pre-Order ready. When the suits order 218 MOBA’s of various sizes and colours, around the release of number 102 the market gets fed up with them.

• Timje says:

I honestly don’t think there’s room for more than a handful of MOBAs, because of their hardcore following, impenetrability to newbies and wealth of things to learn (you have to learn the spells, combos, skill builds and item builds for 50+ heros?). They are possibly quite unique games in this regard – by defining themselves as being unfriendly to newbies to each game, rather than the genre as a whole, they are uniquely resistant to players switching from one moba to another, making clones much more difficult to pull off.

• Nim says:

Never ever. This behaviour to attempt to copy success is ingrained in the human dna and has acted as a survival mechanic since our species’ evolution. It has been misused by companies since the invention of companies and is absolutely not limited to computer games. I am generalizing but you get the idea.

• Severian says:

I know people will likely mock me for saying this, but I do think there’s room in the market for a “casual” MOBA. And by that, I just mean something simpler, more accessible, and NOT designed for ultra-competitive (e-sports) play. Forgive me, but I adored Demigod – even though it was a mess of a game – and I think that if a developer released a thematic game with not too many heroes, and not too many items, and a nice variety of (potentially unbalanced but who cares?) maps, it would catch on among those of us without the time to invest in LoL or DOTA2. I thought Demigod did a lot right, actually, and much of it was aimed at a more casual audience. I agree that I don’t understand why companies would make a MOBA that directly competes with LoL or DOTA2 – the market seems saturated and it’s too much effort to keep these games going unless its rolling in the players and dough.

• maximiZe says:

«I know people will likely mock me for saying this, but I do think there’s room in the market for a “casual” MOBA. And by that, I just mean something simpler, more accessible, and NOT designed for ultra-competitive (e-sports) play.»

But LoL already exists.

• Jack Mack says:

Awesomenauts seems to be doing well.

• C0llic says:

This glut of MoBAs will be over really soon. I can’t see them having a much higher success rate than the many MMOs that have either outright failed, or pootled along just about long enough to pay for themselves.

The DotA 2 and LoL fanbases are so incredibly invested in both games I don’t see many if any making the switch to another game unless its trying something really different, and the genre is so niche I don’t see these games really drawing that many people new to the genre. If DotA 2 and LoL fail to do it, it’s a tall order.

A lot will depend on the payment model, but it still seems doomed to failure. MOBAs are the new MMOs in my opinion. I suppose that makes Dota 2 EvE and LoL WoW. I quite like that comparison.

• solidsquid says:

They don’t have to be hugely successful though, even if they’re just good enough to turn a bit of a profit then the business people will assume they just didn’t quite manage to get it right this time and will try again

• Bleh says:

I agreed until reading this:
      “You can’t make a “new and better” DOTA. It’s just not possible. The game is already perfect.”

I laughed so hard, thanks for the joke. :)

Cloning games will never be a success, like you said with MMORPG, but DOTA2 and LoL have TONS of huge defects, like WoW has ones.
      If these games are not killed, it’s not because they are perfect but simply because clones have no game designers, but marketers as head projects. They’re not interested in game, but money.

6. wyrm4701 says:

I’ve got access, but I’m yet to play, and I kind of doubt I’ll try it. I like the idea of the game – it seems a good use of the characters, in that it’s about Vampire Batman fighting Steampunk Joker, which is pretty much why superhero comics are awesome. I’d just like to try it against the computer first, and MOBAs really don’t appeal to me.

It’s a bit weird how tone-deaf the big two comic companies seem to be when it comes to video games, recently. For the near-total arbiters of a genre that popularized a medium, they’re oddly incompetent at translating the appeal of their own product to gaming.

• jonahcutter says:

The two Arkham games (and hopefully the upcoming Origins) were great. And I actually really enjoyed X-Men Origins Wolverine. I’ve heard one of the console Spiderman games was pretty good.

Outside of those, there doesn’t seem anything that really does superhero well from Marvel/DC. With the amount of content they have possible, that’s a pretty poor track record.

7. NyuBomber says:

I have closed beta access, but I got in for free via the waitlist. Didn’t know they were selling access now, but that’s whatever.

I don’t/didn’t like it. Aside from the familiar characters (more on why this is a bad thing in a bit), it has nothing going for it. Destructible environments, whatever. It’s still the DotA/LoL-style gameplay, on LoL’s Dominion game type. with less meaty/substantive gameplay than those two.

Compare to my recent MOBA crush, Smite. First, Smite makes the camera third-person, giving a completely different situational awareness feel. Then, it emphasizes skill shots and manual control down to the auto attacks. Then, it throws in a myriad of gameplay modes, including random thematic/ridiculous parameter daily modes. Much more fun.

Infinite Crisis’ biggest strength is the license, but its hampered by the lack of variety. Sure, it’s fun seeing Vampire-world Batman and Mecha Wonder Woman and such, but the fact that these are actual separate characters with new movesets and roles, not just skins, makes me feel like they could’ve implemented those roles and abilities to actual new characters.

Why couldn’t “Long range physical carry/Gotham by Gaslight” Batman just be Deadshot?
    Why couldn’t “Gotham by Gaslight” Catwoman (who came out before standard Catwoman, for some reason) be Lady Shiva or Karate Kid or Black Canary or some such?
    Of course I know the reason (there’s something to be said for alternate universe versions + money from the most popular names), but still. Missed opportunity.

Checking up, I’ll forgive them the slow rate of champion release. It seems they’ve added a grand total of two (Chainsaw-Wonderwoman and standard Catwoman) since I last played.

I won’t forgive them for adding in a LoL-style runes system. Hate that.

So yea, I think I’m done with it.

• Spider Jerusalem says:

yeah the lack of character diversity is a problem. having 7 different batmans, 5 jokers, and 4 catwomens is silly when there are so many interesting characters in the universe (especially on the villain’s side).

8. bit_crusherrr says:

I quite like this game. It’s a good break from DOTA 2 as it’s a lot more action packed. Atomic Wonder Woman is really fun to play too.

• solidsquid says:

Not knowing the series, I’m assuming Atomic Wonder Woman is the Hulk in gold bra stars and skimpy stars and stripes outfit?

9. tobascodagama says:

This game appeals to people who meet three criteria:

- You like DC’s multiverse.
    - You like MOBAs.
    - You aren’t so invested in one of the Big Two MOBAs that the idea of starting over in a new one gives you fits.

I have no idea how big this demographic is, but it’s probably not that big. It makes me feel bad for Turbine, because they’re a quality company that makes quality games, but this one is simply doomed to fail for reasons beyond their control.

10. monomer says:

Played this when it first entered closed beta and have gone back to check it out with major content updates/patches, and I’ve enjoyed it a lot; there’s really been a huge improvement in how it looks and feels since I first checked it out, and the character designs are pretty awesome so far.

For a closed beta/game that hasn’t launched yet I definitely think it’s headed in the right direction, especially with the traditional 3-lane map coming soon.

Comment on this story