Hands on – Alien: Isolation

By Brendan Caldwell on January 7th, 2014 at 4:00 pm.

We have all been burned by past Alien games and I would like us to maintain a healthy scepticism about Creative Assembly’s recently unveiled Alien: Isolation, which I went to see and play just before the turn of the year. With this in mind, I believe it an obligation, before we begin discussing this new threat, to observe a moment of silence in which we can all remember the brave souls we lost to the Colonial Marines disaster.

*an eerie hush envelopes the world as billions of people solemnly mute Spotify*

Thank you.

The good news is that, despite keeping that scepticism intact, my recent hands-on with Isolation has given me cause for hope. With luck (and no small amount of effort from the development team) we are a little closer to having an Alien game that actually captures the feel of the original movie.

Note – click on any of these screenshots for a big ol’ high res version.

Take a watch of this announcement trailer before you carry on reading, and then I can flesh out some of what you’ve just seen. Described as a single-player survival horror, Isolation puts you in the role of Amanda Ripley, daughter of the movies’ Ellen. She is investigating a space station with a team of Weyland-Yutani hirelings on a mission to find the black box recorder from the Nostromo (the spaceship in the original film). Obviously, something has gone wrong (a wild Xenomorph appeared!). Creative Assembly is keen to avoid the moniker ‘FPS’ – Amanda is an engineer, not a soldier. To reinforce that, not one of my brief 20 minutes spent tip-toeing through a jeopardised space station featured guns, bazookas, turrets, grenades OR superweapons capable of unimaginable, unknowable destruction. The only thing I had was a motion detector.

This clunky old reminder of what made the cinema space horror so intense was pretty much the star of the show for me. The Alien itself has been modelled and animated very well, complete with horrible Nosferatu creep-walk and saliva waterfall. However, not only is the analogue 1970s motion detector faithfully reproduced, it also appears to be the keystone of the entire game’s design.

You potter about trying to get from corridor to computer to control levers to airlock, all the while keeping watch for the double-mouthed monster. Early on in the demo I heard a beep to my left and spun around only to discover nothing – but soon afterwards there came a beeping spot ahead of me. It came on but I saw nothing ahead. It neared and neared along with the sound of the tracker (bleep… bleep bleep… bleep bleep bleep…BLEEPBLEEPBLEEPBLEEPBLEEP). Was the thing in the ceiling? The floor? The walls?? There was nothing I could do but leg it back down a steely corridor and lie still behind some boxes. Eventually the beeps disappeared and I worked up the courage to carry on. The game had succeeded in reproducing an iconic scene from the movies – and I had not even seen the beast yet.

The design is noticeably – and understandably – similar to Amnesia. Although CA have also been inspired by Thief, Condemned and “the first night in Minecraft,” says Al Hope, creative lead of the team. “There is not a sense that you are going to get a big locker and find a big gun that’s going to be the solution to all your problems.”

“We are trying to recapture the Alien,” he says of the creature itself, citing the small dog-like animals the thing has become in recent incarnations. “We want to – and this is sort of a clunky phrase – but we want to re-Alien the Alien.” To this end, when the Alien finally does appear, it slithers from the ventilation above like a huge 9 ft eel. (Fun fact: the Moray eel was discovered to house a second set of jaws within its throat in 2006, just like the Alien. This means that H. R. Giger, working in the 1970s, came up with a biological feeding mechanism completely independently of evolution, perhaps proving that ‘Intelligent Design’ is a valid theory but also, paradoxically, a totally human enterprise). Anyway, when the alien finally slithered down in my play through, the feeling of threat was immediate. It was big and lithe. I hid behind boxes, under a table, round corners. There were lockers dotted around too that you can slip into but I didn’t find one in time.

Part of the tension of this hide-and-seek comes from all the subtle gamey things that CA have intelligently included. You can lean around corners and over the top of boxes and consoles – but I am told if you do decide to have a quick peep, the Alien can spot you if he is looking your way. None of the baffling disconnect from Dishonoured’s idiot guardsmen here Just the fearful dilemma: look or hide. It’s simple and it’s smart.

Once again the tracker deserves a mention. Fans of Metro: First Light’s dedicated ‘wipe visor’ button may appreciate Isolation’s gambit. When you are holding the motion tracker, your eyesight of everything else is slightly blurred, out of focus. To refocus your eyes on the room in front of you, you must hold another button down – so you are constantly swapping your focus from your bleepy lifeline to the environment around you. It is such an unnerving and understated touch, yet so obviously sharp-witted, I’m struggling to remember where it has been done before (it must have been! Help me out here commenters). In restraining even the speed and power of your eyesight, the design team have made the clever decision to ever-so-slightly disempower your character – a design tenet that too many games ignore, even those within the survival horror genre.
It is unclear at the minute whether this disempowerment will last. Even in my short demonstration there were materials to pick up – gears? Sharp objects? Scrap metal? – which will later form the basis of a crafting system. Amanda will use these materials to create useful items. Exactly what remains a mystery and the development team are reluctant to say (“Anything – the kinds of things that you would expect,” says Hope). So there you have it. Taking the first film as inspiration we can therefore deduce that Alien: Isolation will allow the player to craft the following:

• an electric prod
  • a grappling hook
  • a ginger cat
  • John Hurt

I jest. However, a Kotaku report from October did suggest that other weapons will be on hand, and that other baddies will pop up. I didn’t see any of that and the devs were being very coy about latter sections. I am sorry I could not wrench it out of them. In my journalistic duty, I have failed.

What I can tell is that the film has been fairly effectively channelled. In terms of environmental art, the space station is designed with the archaic tone of untidy 1970s sci-fi. One of the artists says he deliberately recorded video footage onto a VHS cassette, then re-introduced it to the game with all the blemishes and snowy flickers that the obsolete technology could muster (he even went so far as to use a copy of Alien, possibly for ceremonial purposes). Likewise, much effort has been made to make the music and sound effects feel right. The team rooted out a reel of tape from Fox’s archival vault in California which contained all the horrible whale-like noises of space hidden in the original film. And to hear the sound designers talk of the original score, they could not be more loyal to the license if they lay down next to Jerry Goldsmith’s grave and starved to death because they did not leave.

While these stories are the kind of thing that every journo like myself is spoon fed during a studio visit, they still suggest that the team is going for as authentic a tone as they can. Certainly what I have seen, though incredibly brief, is enough to make me nod sagely in approval. How long the game will commit to the Amnesia-like mechanics before it begins to introduce other angles will determine the ultimate taste of the horror. I am told that the Alien’s appearance will be “low frequency, high impact.” What other challenges the player will be facing in the meantime remains to be seen. Though I would bet my fresh cotton socks it will include androids, computers, other human badfolk and all the other corporate shenanigans of the Weyland-Yutani group. If these take the form of numerous henchmen the suspenseful tone may be compromised – perhaps not entirely, but somewhat.

Like I say, success at being the Alien game that everyone wants depends entirely on commitment to this atmosphere – but also on restraint. A weapon or item that can harm the alien or other enemies (should they appear) might be fine, so long as it is incredibly rare. Again, the dev team seems on track here. I was told that testers were given a gun in some early trials but as soon as they saw the Alien, every one of them decided against using it. “They took one look and thought, ‘no, this is only going to piss it off.’” At the same time the hide-and-seek elements might get exhausting if it is all you are expected to do, or if the game drags on for too long. During the demo there was a computer hacking minigame and some scrap collecting but not much else was being given away to me. (The computer hacking minigame is a simple and neat job of twiddling knobs to get a signal and matching some shapes together – but again the device is straight out of the movie and its interface, all chewy-tough push-buttons, felt perfectly intuitive). If the story and character chatter can hold it all together, there might not even be need for much more and this will partly be down to how well Dan Abnett, the comics writer and novelist, has envisioned the tale – but my instincts tell me the crafting system is going to be a vital cog in the game’s mechanical underbelly.

Now. I have said a lot about being wary and we should certainly keep our cool. But I would like to say one final thing in (expectant) favour of Isolation.

It scared me.

At least as much as Amnesia, anyway. This may be down to the horrifying military briefing the dev gave me before going into the game.

Or it may be the fact that the Xenomorphs have always been a favourite fear of mine, inhabiting my childhood nightmares ever since Papa Caldwell made the smirking (tipsy?) decision to let his boys sit up late with him to watch his favourite sci-fi movie, long before they should have been allowed. Consider that my admission of bias, and the reason why I will give this new horror the benefit of the doubt, despite what has been done to fans in the past. For the short twenty minutes that I was locked in that room with the Xenomorph – that hulking, slavering three-metre tall monster – I was twenty times more engaged than at any point during my sorry hours spent blasting faceless dudes in Colonial Marines. At one point I took a gamble and legged it toward an airlock to escape. I heard the alien screech behind me, reached the door and… The airlock closed. Something exploded in the station – some malfunction – and sent the whole place spinning. All scripted, of course, but I still got up and thought to myself, “Ahhh, I am still trapped in here with IT.” I couldn’t see it. I couldn’t hear it. But I knew it was there. So I hid behind some boxes and got my motion tracker out.

When the demo was over I had an interview (which will follow shortly). I asked the on-looking developer, Al Hope, what I did differently to other players.

“You probably said ‘fuck’ a little bit more than average,” he said. “‘Fuck’ and ‘oh fuck’.”

I’m taking that as a good sign. But stay frosty. Never forget.

, , .

RedViv says:

This does sound like good survival so far. Cautiously excited now, given the leaks about the later parts finding Amanda up more against “clones and soldiers” and whatnot.

• DinosaurOverload says:

I agree. Definitely got some excitement after reading this and Cara’s hands-on impressions. Hopefully the later levels do not devolve into a corridor-y manshoot but instead integrates the soldiers/clones into the terrifying quest to be unnoticed. Maybe they become unpredictable elements that the alien can chase after, sometimes saving your bacon but sometimes causing the alien to come roaring into your face since you happen to be between it and the bumbling marine?

2. Sandepande says:

Oh, crap. I can’t play this. I read the article and already I’m feeling jittery and nervous.

• Triangulon says:

Agreed. I will probably play this like Trespasser when it came out (I was 12). I got off the beach then stopped and hid because I was too scared of the raptors I thought were probably in the jungle. If I get into a locker in this I imagine I will never leave.

• GoTo2k says:

Just imagine: Oculus Rift… This would turn the game into locker simulator 2014 in an instant! :D

3. airtekh says:

This sounds brilliant!

I don’t think I’ve ever gone from ‘Hmm, never heard of this’ to ‘God I must play this now’ so fast.

4. SeanFoster says:

I’m sitting here reading this article and watching the trailer in my Weyland-Yuanti hoody and could not be more excited.

5. DatonKallandor says:

Having actually seen a physical Giger Alien close enough to touch, those things goddamn freaky even when in a completely normal building surrounded by people (and a dozen different alien variants never used clinging to the walls and ceiling). If you actually saw one move of it’s own volition, you’d run and never stop, no matter how impossible your rational brain would tell you it was.

6. int says:

I am intrigued. I always thought the original Alien film was the best.

Zunt says:

I was going to wonder why I hadn’t heard about this but apparently it’s been embargoed (and / or I’ve been oblivious). I like a good sneaky game; I hope the crafting does not involve super-weapons. To be true to the original film any weapons should only be capable of annoying the alien, or maybe giving it a little .. incentive … to move somewhere else.

Also, Cara has covered this for the Graun: http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2014/jan/07/alien-isolation-preview

aleander says:

This has done a great job of convincing me that this will be a great game I will avoid at all costs.

I will buy it though. It will be lurking in the corner of my Steam library.

Waiting.

8. Meat Circus says:

It’s a shooter.

*sigh*

Alien: Subtitle is a shooter. It will have guns. And the guns will ruin it. YOU KNOW THIS TO BE TRUE.

When, after 20 minutes of creeping around all stealthy like, the game then degenerates into a fucking dreadful corridor shooter, don’t say I didn’t warn you.

• Viceroy Choy says:

It’s not a shooter.

• Meat Circus says:

“a Kotaku report from October did suggest that other weapons will be on hand, and that other baddies will pop up. I didn’t see any of that and the devs were being very coy about latter sections.”

If that doesn’t set your THEY’RE GOING TO FUCK IT UP WITH GUNS klaxon a-honking, I don’t know what will.

• Viceroy Choy says:

Since a FPS Alien(s) game is suicide, I very much doubt that guns will feature much, if at all. There IS however, craftable stuff, which is weird. But the fact that there is one whole alien in the game, I’m pretty confident.

[E]: VideoGamer also has a hand-on preview on their website. Dev says there will be weapons but it’s not about “running through the game shooting.”

CA also talk in way that seems they understand how survival horror is supposed work.

Morangie says:

If there really is only one alien and the game has guns, you will be fighting Weyland Yutani mercenaries. Because everyone enjoyed that the first time.

• Bull0 says:

Gathering sharp things etc evokes the crafting of The Last of Us more than anything else for me. Making medical kits and shivs and tripmines and things like that. If the player character’s an engineer I’d expect traps and suchlike. The fact that they’ve gone with Alien: subtitle rather than Aliens: subtitle really, really sounds like no guns.

• DatonKallandor says:

AAA Publisher means it’s going to have guns and firefights. That’s a fact.

• Viceroy Choy says:

@Bull0, in the demo crafting components were pickup-able but wasn’t implemented. They mentioned that you would craft gels and such, which seems to indicate traps/utility items.

Jackablade says:

“The fact that they’ve gone with Alien: subtitle rather than Aliens: subtitle really, really sounds like no guns.”
            Or they might be referencing Alien: Resurrection.

• Bull0 says:

What’s Alien:Resurrection? I think you mean Alien:Joss Whedon Does A Comic Book Movie Thing, It’s Like Proto-Firefly Or Something And It’s All Horrible

• SillyWizard says:

I like Alien: Resurrection. It was good clean fun, and it carried on the Alien-franchise tradition of doing something different with each film. I appreciate that it’s not straight-faced future-grimdark awesome like Alien or Aliens, but it’s neat for what it is.

If the game had some other space-monster besides the xenomorph, I expect it would have been much better received. On its own merits, it’s still a solid film, I say!

Unrelated note: fucking crafting. Stop making me do chores in videogames, videogames!

• JeCa says:

It’s very possible (or almost certain) that enemy soldiers will pop up later in the game, and that there will be more or less noisy and bulky weaponry for you to dispatch them with. That won’t necessarily make the game will “degenerate into a dreadful corridor shooter”. There’s a risk, sure, but not a necessity. For example, if noisy assault rifles attract the Alien the player might be indirectly forced to use silent close range gadgetry which has to be crafted from limited supplies to get rid of soldiers, which very well could increase the tension after sneaking around and hiding has gotten boring. Or the soldiers will have stats comparable to the main character, meaning head on fights won’t go in your favour most of the time. Yes, of course there is a chance they’ll mess it up completely, and it probably won’t be a system shock 2 even if they don’t, but a game can be a hell of a lot worse than that and still be good, right?

• derbefrier says:

ahhh BS having guns wont ruin it. Aliens 2000 had plenty of guns and people adore it. I don’t know where or when this “aliens games cant have guns or they suck” narrative started but its pretty stupid. The trick to making a good aliens game is atmosphere, atmosphere atmosphere. Which from the sound of it these guys have the right idea. The game will have guns but as long as they keep that desperate feeling alive it will be a good aliens game even while having these horrible guns in it.

• Meat Circus says:

The problem is, it’s really hard to have that desperate feeling when you’re armed to the teeth with a magic machine of infinite deathbringing.

I can think of about two games that managed to invoke a proper feeling of desperation despite being armed. Pathologic and Teleglitch.

• Bon3s says:

Alien vs Predator 2 is a great Alien game and it has several guns available to shoot down the alien menace. However, for me, it was still quite unnerving and, sometimes, scared the hell out of me. Derbefrier is right, atmosphere is the most important element in any horror game. Even more so in one that is based of the original Alien film.

• Fumarole says:

System Shock 2 did a fine job of arming you and still making you feel desperate.

• Sharlie Shaplin says:

The first PC AvP was quite tense during the marine campaign, in it’s day. Mainly due to the randomly spawning aliens, you never quite knew where they were going to come from.

• Guvornator says:

It’s pretty tense now, though one of the reasons was limited saves (no saves originally, in fact, though they patched it in so wimps like me could actually finish levels) and the fact that a single Alien could turn you into mincemeat. The scraping sound of the facehuggers still haunts me to this day…

• KenTWOu says:

It’s pretty tense now…

And motion detector worked like motion detector and didn’t have horrible friend or foe identification.

Jackablade says:

If you’ve got limited ammo and are very vulnerable to being perforated by enemy gun fire, I think adding weapons shouldn’t be to much of an issue.

• Smoky_the_Bear says:

Also when you think about it, it would be stupid to go to a planet full of hostile 9ft tall aliens ALONE, without being armed to the teeth.
        It’s about balance though, think how creepy the early Resident Evil games were, there were plenty of weapons in that but ammo was scarce so you can have that constant feeling of panic worrying about where your next clip of ammo is coming from because you only have enough for one more fight.

I also think that the game needs some progression. What I dislike about the current trend of horror games where you are defenceless is that the gameplay at the start is “run and hide”, and at the end of the game its still just “run and hide”, no new mechanics to keep the game interesting and because of that I find that they can get boring halfway through.

• Smoky_the_Bear says:

So just enough decent gameplay for them to achieve their precious fucking metacritic score then pad the game out with pointless generic shooter? I wouldn’t be surprised.

9. Drinking with Skeletons says:

Weapons could be fine if they remember that Aliens have powerful acid for blood. Having a weapon that you really don’t want to use because the blood will melt you if it touches you would be a nice touch.

We’ll see what we get. It’s going to be incredibly important for CA that this reviews well, because I don’t see this getting off to a strong start after the disaster of Colonial Marines.

• StartRunning says:

And the original danger from the acid in the movie, the acid will eat through the HULL and depressurize the place.

10. Skull says:

What happened to Warhammer? :(

11. Viceroy Choy says:

VideoGamerTV has B-reel footage as they talk about the hands-on experience on their YT. Estimated length of the game is 10+ hours as a survival horror in the vein on Amnesia. I’m good with this if they can marry the physicality of Outlast with the atmosphere and terrifying dread of Amnesia.

12. Taidan says:

Oculus Rift support would be of huge benefit to this sort of thing, of course. Fingers crossed.

13. Wedge says:

I just kind of feel like a game like this may end up limited in what it can do being tied to an IP. But then again, as long as Routine is still happening, I suppose that’s fine.

Chaz says:

Will it have Oculus Riftpley support?

15. sandineyes says:

That ‘eye focus’ mechanic reminds me of the first few minutes of the new Alone in the Dark game, where you had hit a button to blink every second or else your vision would become a blurry mess (you know, just like real life!!!).

• DatonKallandor says:

They continued to upgrade that mechanic as you got along further – eventually the player gained the power to see the evil cracks-in-the-world by closing their eyes for a few seconds. It was incredibly flavorful – and probably the greatest use of a “close eyes”-button to date.

• Ross Angus says:

In terms of the specific mechanic Brendy referred to, S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Clear Sky used it, when you reloaded weapons. They were myopically in focus, the rest of the world was a blur.

Modders got rid of it, of course.

16. Reefpirate says:

“I’m struggling to remember where it has been done before (it must have been! Help me out here commenters)”

I’ll take a crack at this and say it reminds me of the map in Far Cry 2. I have memories of looking at the map and then having to quickly put it away while being shot at, or driving looking at the map but having to look away to keep my eyes on the road, etc. The Far Cry 2 map is one of my favorite things about that game and I was a bit sad when it didn’t survive into Far Cry 3.

17. virtualmatrix258 says:

This to me, looks a lot like Routine.

18. Penguin_Factory says:

The bit where it says you can adjust your eye focus is where I said YYYYEP looking forward to this.

About the shooting bits, given what the dev team has been saying so far about the approach the game is taking I seriously doubt they’ll let it devolve into Colonial Marines-style corridor shooting. I’d expect it would be more the player against small groups of enemies that they can wither sneak past or attack, especially if you’re crating stuff instead of finding it.

19. Zenicetus says:

Well, at least we can look forward to a massive amount of the budget spent on pre-release hype and tie-in videos, followed by a broken release, and then months of work trying to patch it up. Oh wait, no… that was Rome 2.

It’s amazing what one flop of a release will do, to trash one’s previous respect for a company. I would have taken a “wait and see” attitude towards another Alien game anyway, because it’s not easy to translate the acid-pumping heart of the movie series’ appeal, unless you go full-blown Aliens2 with guns blazing. The Rome 2 fiasco just puts another damper on expectations. Do something about Rome 2, CA…. and then maybe I’ll care about this game.

• Novotny says:

I don’t think Creative Assembly have release a decent game in the better part of 8 years.

• Bon3s says:

CA has already fixed most of the problems with Rome 2 and it is an incredible game. My personal favourite of the total wars. Indeed it was released in a terrible condition that we should accept from any company and they were punished for that. Although, I think Imperial’s release was worse. Despite the bad release states of some of their games, CA as, mostly, put forward good games for the last decade.

• Zenicetus says:

Mileage will vary on whether it’s “incredible” or still a mess. For me, it’s still a mess. There is potential to patch it into a halfway decent game, but it will never be the game many of us were expecting as a worthy sequel to their first Rome game. Especially after the fairly solid release of Shogun 2.

The AI still can’t siege a city, after 8 patches. AI Armies still embark and just sit out in the water without doing anything. Enemy agent spam is a continuing problem.

All of that might be eventually patched up, and I’ll admit the campaign AI has been improved so it’s more challenging lately. But there are still parts of the game like the political system that feel like they were half-finished, and the developers just walked away from it because they had to release the game on schedule. Civil wars are automatic, no matter what you do, and they spawn magic armies out of thin air. It’s ridiculous.

I can enjoy fighting a few tactical battles here and there, but I have to auto-resolve sieges and just ignore the remaining silliness on the campaign map. This game deserved better. Unfortunately, the worst of the remaining problems like siege AI and the political system aren’t anything the modders can fix.

20. Tei says:

He guys. ALIEN is one of the best movies ever made. Watch it again, it resit the pass of time, is a awesome movie.
    About the sonar locator device, I think the original crew made one because thats all was available to them. They had to put pieces together with miner tools.
    Marines would probably use better equipment.

mpk says:

I’ve been burned before, but please let this be the Alien game that I both want and need.

Also: referencing the Warhammer: Age of Reckoning as a single player game/gaming artifact – I want a version of this game with no Alien where I can just walk through the world and appreciate the effort the artists and designers have put in. Those screens, while undoubtedly the very best of the very best available, are still amazingly evocative of the movie and the time. I want more.

22. somnolentsurfer says:

But, how many armies can I have on screen at once? And how does the campaign map play?

aleander says:

* Female protagonist
    * Desks with random stuff on them
    * It’s gonna become a horror *any moment now*

Hey, is this Gone Home in spaaaaaace?

• Low Life says:

That doesn’t make sense, ghosts have no place in the Alien universe.

DrScuttles says:

In space, no-one can hear the tiresome “not a game” debate.

Dorga says:

The eye blinking game was the latest Alone in the Dark

25. CookPassBabtridge says:

I really hope they have played the SCP: Containment Breach game. There are no weapons, and survival is all about understanding the monsters and the artifacts contained in the facility. That game had me bricking my pants, where amnesia made me just irritated and stressed, which for a freebie is quite the achievement.

Oh also it has a blinking mechanic too, but thats a bit different and absolute geeeenee-arse

golem09 says:

2014 actually manages to become better by the day.

27. Lemming says:

I still think using Amanda Ripley as the main character is a mistake, but the game certainly looks good.

28. araczynski says:

dunno, not the kind of aliens game i’m after, but only because i’m not into the horror/survival genre, just bores me.

29. Jerppa says:

“You can lean around corners and over the top of boxes and consoles – but I am told if you do decide to have a quick peep, the Alien can spot you if he is looking your way.”

Does that mean the alien has a guide dog?

• Phasma Felis says:

There’s never been any indication that aliens can’t see. It’s not certain, but several data points suggest they may have internal eyes that can see through their carapace material somehow.

30. Geebs says:

Amanda Ripley, daughter of the movies’ Ellen

WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

Jackablade says:

So they can call her Ripley without breaking canon too badly.

31. Bull0 says:

Ah, I want to be optimistic about this but I feel like a lot of what makes Amnesia etc work is the mystery around the threat… the xenomorphs are really hard to find threatening after you’ve seen this

Dingbatwhirr says:

Colour me cautiously optimistic. The opening scene of Alien ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7deEcyeVuw8 ) is probably my favourite opening scene from any film (maybe barring Manhattan). If the game could recreate that level of loneliness, the feeling of being surrounded by uncaring machinery, in fact, that atmosphere of isolation , then I’d be a happy guy. Only time will tell.

• Neurotic says:

We may be long-lost brothers.

Dingbatwhirr says:

I always knew there was something my parents weren’t telling me. Whenever I’d mention the opening sequence to Alien and how much I loved it, there was a faraway look in their eyes.
        I understand now.

33. Lucid Spleen says:

I am not an optimist by nature but I have a good feeling about this. Oh, and I think guns would be alright if they are introduced in a natural way. Character, story and atmosphere are, I think, what’s important here. Do we have an ETA on this game?

34. Darth Grabass says:

Looks very promising. I’m not too worried about the potential appearance of guns. I don’t think it’s going to happen. My prediction is that she’ll find and repair a flamethrower at some point in the latter half of the game.

35. Neurotic says:

I’m pretty amazed it’s CA tbh. Wot, no Rome: Total Alien?

36. Alien says:

Are the screenshots from the actual game or pre-rendered?

37. fish99 says:

Hmmm…. I’m not convinced. A game about hiding from the Alien behind boxes? See in the film you get the impression that this thing has way better senses than humans and can probably smell or hear you 100 yards off even when you’re perfectly still. Also if you whipped your tracker out behind said boxes, wouldn’t the alien hear the bleeps? It all sounds a bit comedic. The game also sounds quite linear and scripted, which I don’t want in an Alien game. Just give me a big ship or station, give me crafting and tools, give me a hundreds different ways of winning, no set story or single goal, and then let the Alien really hunt me.

The story is questionable as well, featuring Amanda Ripley hunting for the Nostromo black box. It’s not impossible, but if you know the Alien/Aliens story it sounds kinda dumb.

Have to say I have never played what I’d call a really good Alien or Aliens game. There’s been 3 semi-decent AVP games, none of which really captured the horror of the first film. At least this isn’t a shooter though.

38. Jalan says:

Crafting an in-game John Hurt just wouldn’t be satisfying without finding a component named along the line of gravelly voice modulator.

39. merbert says:

Saga has it’s name attached to this.

They mostly make it SHHHHITE …mostly…..

40. Runs With Foxes says:

So it’s more Amnesia than Miasmata by the sound of it. It could be great if the player and the alien both wandered the ship freely, but it sounds more like there are scripted encounters, and the video suggests control is sometimes taken away from the player for cinematic effect. Seems like a waste of a good concept.

41. Sathure says:

I thought the Marine Campaign in AVP2 was pretty scary when I was little..

If anything burned the sound of a motion tracker into my brain it was that game. It even used to mess with you with the motion tracker being set off by large bugs moving about or crane hooks swaying in the wind.

42. JustAchaP says:

This has the potential to be alright and people accept it or it bombs just like Colonial Marines and no one trusts any devs with the license ever again. Please be good e.e

43. Gabe McGrath says:

One thing is guaranteed for the PC version.
    Two days after release, someone will wreck the game with a ‘duct tape’ constant eyeball focus mod.

44. Upper Class Twit says:

Does anyone else want a really good Aliens game? Like, not space Amnesia, but a shooter, just with really scary, fast, and intelligent Aliens that you have to be constantly on your toes for or else they’ll tear you to bits. I always wondered if a video game can make you well armed and armored and give you the capability of fighting but still make you terrified of your surroundings.

On a related note, this looks like it could be alright. All you guys saying its going to suck need to chill out. Wait for reviews, dudes.

45. Correa says:

But will it be Bug free on launch.

46. masterofchaz says:

I feel very strongly about this. I have reacted in the only way an Alien fanboy can… By adapting a pivotal scene from James Cameron 1986 action classic. http://tobephair.blogspot.co.uk/2014/01/my-reaction-to-aliens-isolation.html

MiddleIndex says:

really enjoyed reading this, sometimes we can be to skeptical about stuff (everything) but sometimes i just want to believe.

48. Hencts says:

my classmate’s mother-in-law makes $87 every hour on the computer. She has been without work for 10 months but last month her payment was $21413 just working on the computer for a few hours. read,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, http://www.Bay95.com

49. MithrilWomble says:

Dan Abnett knows how to write this sort of material. If they leave his script alone, we should be terrified just fine.

50. Protoplasmic says:

…but then Sega decides that an atmosferic first person survival horror doesn’t sell as much as they would want, so they decide to scrap the whole thing and start over development by making it a CoD clone in space.

I mean, yeah, it looks really interesting, but this has happened before way too many times for me to get hyped.