Seriously! – Serious Sam 4 Coming In Late 2014

By Nathan Grayson on March 6th, 2014 at 12:00 pm.

I assume Croteam is still polishing the game a bit more before an official reveal. And by that I mean adding more gigantic globs of shoe polish to Sam's triceps

Where in the world is Serious Samdiego? I think a fair number of people would like to know, especially in light of the fact that series creator Croteam announced it was funding Serious Sam 4 with a Humble Bundle. But then it just disappeared. So what gives? Did the beloved throwback shooter have a stumble (bundle)? Evidently not, as Croteam is now claiming that Serious Sam 4 will be out by the end of 2014.

Speaking with fan site Seriously!, Croteam talked about their current slate of work. First up, Serious Sam 4, which is apparently already decently far along.

“Although pretty much nothing is known about Serious Sam 4, [CEO Roman Ribaric] has assured that it is planned for release late this year (Q4). And no matter what you have heard.. there won’t be any cowboys or big fluffy creepers in it.”

Equally enticing, meanwhile, is the news that Croteam is hurtling forward on a second project. Or rather, they’re contemplatively wandering forward – head all at once in the clouds and grounded by scholarly concentration – if the unnamed game’s direction is indicative. Apparently it’s set to be “a mixture between Portal and The Witness.” So open-ish first-person puzzling, then. Iiiiiiiiiinteresting, and not at all what one would expect from a studio whose logo is literally a bomb with an angry face drawn on it.

Fun times ahead if all of this comes to fruition. I do hope Serious Sam 4 is a significant improvement on SS3, as the latter felt a little stale. I’m even more excited for the other game though, as I can’t wait to see what a studio like Croteam can bring to that genre. Also, I really want them to call it No This Time He’s Actually Very Serious (But In A Different Sort Of Way) Sam.

__________________

« | »

, .

1. Lexx87 says:

I do love me some Serious Sam, so bring it on I say!

• Loyal_Viggo says:

Agreed. Coop on the hardest setting with a beer or six and it’s job done.

2. Anthile says:

No more Egypt? Thank the gods.

3. Monchberter says:

Disappointed there’s no ‘AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA’ tag. :(

• dahools says:

or “My Old Love”

All I can say to Serious Sam 4 is,

Have money, will buy!

4. derbefrier says:

fuck yeah, love me some serious sam lets hope they bring back some of the cool level design from the first and second encounter.

• dahools says:

and they bring back the serious bomb!

• rei says:

Unlike apparently every other person who’s played them, I hated 1 and 2 and loved 3. I like having room to maneuvre and the whole spawning things right in my face got really annoying. I’d be quite happy with more of 3, with less sand.

• LionsPhil says:

I like having room to maneuvre

…this criticism seems absolutely baffling to me, given how huge and open the levels tended to be in SS1? Especially Second Encounter’s bit with the little podium in the middle and three temples around you, shortly after getting the, uh, grenade launcher, I think.

If anything, I’d expect complaints of the usual form that it was so open-field that it was a less involving fight than DOOM or Quake, made almost entirely of running backwards/circlestrafing while firing, dodging, and weaving, rather than having to really think too hard about terrain (“Can I still move backwards? I’m good.”).

5. DarkLiberator says:

I would love to see more varied environments and more crazy enemies.

6. Monchberter says:

Oh, please Croteam, no more over extended skits on how generic COD is.

The first fifth of BFE could have easily been abridged. Took far too long to get to the crazy.

On the other hand, more stupid funny promo vids.

• LionsPhil says:

Yeah, I’ve been struggling getting through 3 because I’m still mired in the “it gets better later, honest” parts.

It didn’t help that I followed onto it straight from 2. Talk about mood whiplash.

• Monchberter says:

Ahh 2, the ‘Star Wars Holiday Special’ entry in the Sam universe.

• LionsPhil says:

Yeah, but honestly under all the wacky-zany, the mechanics still worked.

And it was nice to have Sam moving toward MENTAL, quite aggressively so, rather than pissing around in Egypt some more.

• derbefrier says:

Heh that’s funny cause the second encounter is the unanimous favorite among my gaming group exactly because it got so crazy at times, the bouncy room the one that was like a huge washing machine or something. Good times with 5 or 6 friends on the highest difficulty.

• GepardenK says:

Everyone loves The Second Encounter. But here they were talking about the crazy (though still enjoyable) mess that is Serious Sam 2

• aldo_14 says:

I can’t help but think a chunk of that was down to them actually working on some sort of Modern Military Shooter that got cancelled, before working on SS3.

• Keyrock says:

Yeah, unfortunately it takes SS3 too long (which is to say, any amount of time at all) to actually look and feel like a Serious Sam game. Once it does, though, it’s pretty good. Once you’re scrambling like a madman while hundreds of enemies come at you from all directions, everything is right with the world again.

• Tekrunner says:

I believe that the last level of SS3 has the most enemies of any Serious Sam level. And everyone knows that the number of enemies is the most important criterion in judging the quality of a level in a SS game. Though my favorite is still the last one in SS2. After a fairly easy game made of short levels with relatively small waves of enemies (by Sam’s standards), that last level feels like Mental suddenly wakes up and goes “oh crap, that dude from Earth got seriously close while I was snoozing, have to throw all I have at him!”.

7. carbonated_cottage_cheese says:

Not too long ago I was thinking about how great it would be if Croteam moved on from Serious Sam and how something like a first person puzzle adventure would be a nice change of pace. Though probably after 13 years of nothing but guns and exploding bogeymen, a game as far from Serious Sam as possible was probably the most obvious choice.

8. Megakoresh says:

I hope this one is more like SS2 and not like SS3. I hope it has the fun and colours and vehciles and varied environments of the second Serious Sam as opposed to flat boring repetitive 3-shades-of-yellow environments of SS3. And without the fucking hitscan and screen blur on hit!

9. HisDivineOrder says:

Maybe the puzzles involving using emotional bombs that blow stuff up AND make people happy or sad or angry or randy.

You never know.

• TJ says:

I will steal this immediately and put it in the story.

• danielfath says:

First puzzle. You convince a guy to saw off his head and replace his hands with two bombs. In that order.

• TJ says:

I always thought it was the other way around. Like the lack of head was a bomb-hand-related injury.

10. uh20 says:

the only thing that made SS3 remotely ok to purchase was a big sale and 32 player campaign

11. Darth Gangrel says:

Late 2014? So soon? I haven’t even tried out any of the mods from Steam Workshop, except for some retro mods to take away the need for reloading and to increase speed/jump height to Second Encounter’s standards (my favorite game in the series). Those mods were essential, though, they made BFE enjoyable, almost as fun as the First/Second Encounter. However, BFE was still a bit of a disappointment compared to them. The opening level made a bad first impression and the dark cramped levels were just tedious. I love Serious Sam for its wide open spaces. The soundtrack wasn’t as good either.

Actually, Croteam’s logo isn’t that of a bomb with an angry face drawn on it. I highly recommend visiting their Wikipedia page to see how their actual logo looks like.

12. Jackablade says:

So Serious Sam 3 does really, truly get better? I think I played it once for a couple of hours, felt rather depressed and then never looked at it again.