Here Comes The Paint: Child Of Light Dev Diary

By Craig Pearson on March 19th, 2014 at 2:00 pm.

Cawr.

I was at the UbiSoft event where Child Of Light was revealed. It’s the first time I’ve ever been at a press event where an informal queue formed, and the press were ignoring other demos to wait in line to play it. They waited for hours: friends who joined the queue would accost me as I passed* by, begging me to go on a buffet run for them. I’m honestly not exaggerating. Whatever held them in place that day wasn’t the game, really. It looks like a 2D platformer thing: there’s wandering, it has puzzles, and it has co-op; but the art and atmosphere seemed to reach out like the aroma of a cartoon pie, beckoning people in.

The new dev diary below explains a little about how that came to be, with Ubisoft attempting to capture the essence of a living painting by creating development tools that supported their artists and animators.

Thanks to the UbiArt engine, the concept art the artists create is almost immediately added to the game. There’s no attempt to clumsily repackage their artistic expression: it becomes the game.

Why do all fantasy worlds end in “-oria”? Anyway, it’s out April 30th.

*I am a cold-hearted mercenary at these events, and there was a new Trials game to play.

, .

1. Turkey says:

It’s weird that a “behind the scenes feature” in the movie world translates to “dev diary” in video game lingo.

2. gravity_spoon says:

I remember one of the devs saying on Steam forum that if we were not buying this game (despite the horrible UPlay), we’d be showing the devs we do not support them and ventures like this. Trouble is, he was right. I would never support any dev who ships his game with an annoying DRM like UPlay or Origin or something like that. I can tolerate DRM but not an up-my-arse stupidity like that. So however good this may be, I am sitting it out.

• pepperfez says:

In general those “vote with your dollars” pitches are bullshit. I don’t buy things to send a message to their sellers, I buy them because I think they’re worth paying for.

amateurviking says:

Thus sending them the message ‘I think this is worth paying for’ :D

• guygodbois00 says:

My sentiment also, gravity_spoon. Here’s hoping it turns out on GOG eventually.

• gravity_spoon says:

For now it is confirmed that Uplay is required. I saw it on the GMG page. If they remove it and make it Steam only or if it pops up on gog, insta buy for me. Else I wont lose my sleep over missing it.

• Vainamoinen says:

Same here – no Uplay for me. Also, no Steam. gog or nothing – and, well, this looks like just the thing for the platform.

Hope they’re doing the right thing quickly. Rayman Origins released DRM free – and still it took them a long time to get it on gog.

Man up, Ubi! This treat is one for the DRM free crowd.

Oozo says:

Yeah, no to uPlay and all that, but my, does it look pretty.
    To me, the recent (?) insight that the history of animated film and painting offers such a vast palette of interesting techniques to inspire the visual style of videogames is very, very welcome indeed.

(I really wonder: Is it that the tech has finally caught up with it or the fact that people have turned away from the fetish of photorealism that we now have the likes of Rayman, Ni no kuni, whatever Amanita is up to next, and so on? Either way, it makes me pretty happy.)

4. DrollRemark says:

As useful as UbiArt no doubt is, I wouldn’t call “being able to take a picture and put it into a game!” a particularly noteworthy element of it, given that that’s basically a description of what a texture is.

Surlywombat says:

I clicked through to the game website on my phone and the background moves when your phone tilts. Fancy!

6. thecommoncold says:

My, that sure is pretty. I’m a real sucker for watercolor art style and platfoRPGs in general, so as long as UPlay doesn’t literally punch me in the face and steal my lunch money, I’ll probably be picking this up.

7. MrNash says:

The game looks really nice, but there’s just no where I’m going to buy it if UPlay is attached to the thing. Sorry.

8. Keyrock says:

Damn that looks amazing. I already have Uplay installed (because Might & Magic X) and it has yet to set fire to my computer (I’m lucky, I guess) so I will most likely get this game, as everything about it is giving me a boner.

9. Antistar says:

The lead programmer’s name is ‘Brianna Code’; that’s just too perfect. (And I’m sure she’s sick of the jokes.)