Mother Fearest: Murdered: Soul Suspect Trailer

By Craig Pearson on March 22nd, 2014 at 8:00 am.

I have a piece of advice for the narrator of this Murdered: Soul Suspect trailer: follow-up with any questions you might have after your mother starts monologuing in vague terms about potential danger. She’s talking about unseen things and and saying stuff like: “There’s something out there,” without elaborating. Why not sit down with her and ask for specifics? What sort of family is this? My mum used stare sadly out of the window and tell me there was a slate that needed to be wiped clean or we’d all suffer from poverty and sickness, and when I pressed her she’d tell me to do the dishes or I wouldn’t get my pocket money. It pays to ask questions, and in that case I got £5 to spend on sweets.

I keep waiting for something silly to happen. Look at that pun in the title! It’s a game about a ghost detective solving his own murder, using his haunting skills to possess people so he can read their notes and listen into conversations. It’s basically bulletproof, even if the protagonist isn’t. Go on, start having a bit of fun with it. Just a little. If I were a ghost, the first thing I’d do would be to sneak in to the Oscar ceremony and start ticking the presenters. Solving my own murder would be the last thing I’d get up to.

It’s out on June 3rd.

, , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. CookPassBabtridge says:

June the third? As a person from a cockney area originally, this trailer makes me think more of Richard the Third.

Gritty “Casper the friendly ghost” for the Twilight / Hunger Games audience?

2. anandus says:

This reminds me of the Blackwell-series:

• DrManhatten says:

Accept that the Blackwell series is a 100 times better than what this trailer has been showcasing so far. Oh boy Squeenix when was the last time you delivered something worth playing?

• staberas says:

Final Fantasy? (Or at least what my friends tells me :P)

cpt_freakout says:

Of which the last decent one was FFX about 14 years ago :P

• The Random One says:

You mispelled “VI” and “20”.

• toxic avenger says:

Wow, I found someone that liked FFX!

Just joshin ya, bud. I don’t know the universal statistics for each FF, but I remember the outrage when the game came out, at least from my friends.

• Vangu Vegro says:

Bravely Default came out last december.

• skittles says:

I dunno. To me it looks like it could be a lot of silly pulpy fun, as long as they don’t make it too constantly serious. I have that odd tickling feeling though this one might take itself too seriously for its own good.

3. Turkey says:

I think the ghost detective guy is actually just a member of a late ’90s Ska band and everyone in the afterlife just mistakes him for a 1950s P.I.

• ResonanceCascade says:

How many ska musicians does it take to screw in a lightbulb?

Two. One to drop it, and the other one to pick it up pick it up pick it up.

4. XhomeB says:

What little they’ve shown of the game looks very promising, I honestly hope it plays like a proper adventure game (searching for clues, spying on suspects, drawing conclusions) and doesn’t turn into a stupid action game halfway through – which it might, those “ghosts” you need to avoid and fight from time to time sound like a bad gameplay mechanic already…

• CookPassBabtridge says:

I’m just waiting for the bit where it turns out hell is split into jocks and nerds, and the main character is finally accepted by the cool kids after she throws an awesome pool party and everyone is so impressed she knows a hunky ghost who can chug 10 pints through a hose

• Convolvulus says:

I’d prefer it to end with Ghost Detective shunned at the senior prom until he wins everyone over with a rap/dance called the Spectral Slide. [“I’m not too sad because I died. Now I can do the Spectral Slide.”] Then the killer he was pursuing finally falls for him, but it turns out that the person he really wants is Melinda, his lifelong friend who, despite being played by an attractive actress, has been treated as an ugly outcast by her classmates because she wears glasses and a funny hat.

Then Ghost Detective’s father shows up and tells him that their family has a history of being mummies. [“We’re mummies.”] So that sets up a sequel, but Melinda won’t be in it because you can’t have a story with Mummy Ghost Detective already in love. That’s not what the kids pay for. I’m trying to hire Geddy Lee to do the soundtrack entirely on pre-MIDI synthesizers. If anyone knows how to get in touch with him (or what he looks like), I’d appreciate the info.

• CookPassBabtridge says:

You forgot the snidey but hot cheerleader who gets her come-uppance with some sort of punch-bowl incident

5. guygodbois00 says:

Jesus: Christ: Mr Pearson: Really Now

6. aerozol says:

Haha in the “Every Lead” Trailer [EU] this Ronan guy can’t fight for shit, but he does an incredible job of keeping his cigarette pristine and between his lips throughout a pretty out there fight scene!

Not convinced by the trailers to be honest. If it’s scary I’m interested, but I’m doubting it.

7. The Random One says:

Hipster ghost was dying before it was cool.

If anyone’s interested in this there was a long gameplay trailer a few months ago so I recommend watching that. It put a big damper into my expectations. It looks like the game will be incongruous ghost-combat levels followed by hand-holding mystery “solving”.

8. mechabuddha says:

Every time I see an article about this game, I get really excited. Then I watch a video, and feel let down. Then I go play Ghost Trick and I forget everything until the next time I see an article about this game.

9. eclipse mattaru says:

Do we know anything about the game itself? I’ve seen 3 or 4 trailers already and I still don’t have a clue about how the thing actually plays.

Also, we really need to get rid of genres, they’re beyond useless. “Action/Adventure/RPG” –Might as well say “chicken and telephone icecream”.

• Listlurker says:

I hear you. Trying to search for a game of interest on Steam is becoming nearly impossible now, because every newly-released game out there applies every genre tag possible to itself, in the hopes of boosting sales.

“it’s an action, adventure, RPG, stealth, shooter, story-driven, casual, hardcore, puzzle, strategy game!!!”