Want One: Child Of Light Trailer

By Craig Pearson on April 10th, 2014 at 8:00 pm.

Lovely on the eyes

Rufus Wainwright once drawled, “Pretty things, so what if I like pretty things?” Which I think is the perfect reason for me to post this Child Of Light trailer. If Rufus can like pretty things, then so can I. And Ubisoft’s platform puzzle game is an entrĂ©e for eyelashes, a pie for the pupil, a roast for the retina, a quiet lunch by the river on a sunny day for the orbit. It is a feast for the eyes.

It looks lush and pretty, and there are little details that completely grabbed my attention. I love the way her hair moves. It’s small thing, but I liked how it floats like seaweed and yet retains its shape, and I was so entranced by it that I nearly wrote about how the game was set underwater. But that’s not the case. It’s just very floaty. When I tried to find out why, I discovered that I wasn’t being stupid after all. Here’s an interview with the developers where they talk about using fluid dynamics on her hair.

Pretttty. However, it does seem to checking off bullet-points on the making an artsy 2D platformer clipboard. There’s trawling lights, spikey crystal corridors, languid piano music, and dark underwater segments. Even so, I shall wallow in this when it comes out on April 30th.

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. Anthile says:

It certainly looks and feels, perhaps even sounds like a spiritual sequel to Aquaria.

• KenTWOu says:

I watched this GDC talk about the Art of Child of Light. It’s highly unlikely that Aquaria was a sources of inspiration. But yeah, there are certain similarities.

2. Keyrock says:

Sweet mother of peach cobbler that looks lovely.

3. Eight Rooks says:

I’m going to do That Thing and say while I badly want to like Child of Light it’s still just not winning me over, and I’m doing That Thing because I really wish I could articulate why and I can’t. :-( It just… strikes me as so contrived. Something about the way the 2D meshes with the 3D (poorly, IMO), the colour palette (bland), the monster designs, the whole twee fairy-tale thing (I haven’t seen a single snippet of dialogue I’d count as actually good)…

…and yet I say I can’t articulate why because whenever I watch one of these trailers I think “You ought to like this”. It’s an auteur-driven watercolour 2D platformer delivered in rhyming couplets and riffing on old-school JRPGs, for God’s sake. I should be willing to forgive it anything. And yet I’m not. Oh, well, I freely admit I’m saying all this in large part because I’m jealous of all the people who plainly are excited over it and are probably going to enjoy it just fine – but still, none of these trailers are doing it for me. Sigh.

• kfix says:

That’s funny, your description of the game would normally make me run screaming, and yet I find myself strangely attracted. If it feels as floaty and dreamy to control as it looks, I may just love this.

I hope, for cosmic balance or something, you do too.

• Oozo says:

The visuals definitely do it for me, but, oh, the writing… I was very interested in “a game based on a poem”, or similar words that were first used to introduce it to the world. But I really hope that the writing in the game is better than what was shown as intertitles in this trailer. It really sounds like it was badly translated, halfway between bad children’s book prose and toned down Game of Thrones-references. (Maybe I’m also extra critical because I just came from the Last Life-article, where there was much talk about the quality of the writing in Kentucky Route Zero

If the actual game is good, though, I can forgive it, I guess. At least I do like the looks of it.

• Tiberius says:

The reason it sounds like a children’s book is because that is what it is supposed to be. The game lead originally brought the idea to Ubisoft because his young daughter complained that there were no good games for girls.

I’d say that’s the very reason so many people are interested – not because it’s a “girl game,” but because it’s filling a large space that macho-dude-bro games simply can’t fill. I love shooting aliens in the face, but after a while I just want to play something that is interesting past its first 5 minutes of mechanics.

4. Noodlemonk says:

Scary shit ahoy, I was just listening to Want One and Two for the first time in years. COINCIDENCE CRAIG?!

Is there anyone else who’s too
    In love with beauty
    Playing all of the games
    And thinks three’s company

5. draglikepull says:

Isn’t this being billed as an RPG? Shouldn’t the gameplay trailer for a RPG show, I don’t know, some role-playing or combat or something? If I’d never heard about the game before, based on watching this trailer I would think the only thing you do in it is solve environmental puzzles while dodging enemies.

• Zekiel says:

As far as I can tell, “RPG” these days means “has stats you can improve” (not “can actually engage in roleplaying”).

I’m pretty sure an earlier preview on RPS showed it with Final Fantasy-esque quicktime battles. I don’t think that qualifies it as an RPG either, but perhaps more so than this trailer, which makes it look like a simple platformer.

6. nullward says:

It has co-op. That’s kind of cool.

7. Emeraude says:

As much as I love the ubiArt initiative and would love to support it, uPlay, no game.

• gravity_spoon says:

True. I want this game, but refuse to put up with UPlay. Simple as that. Anyone who tells me that I am being hypocrite because I already use Steam or if I am missing a good game, can shove it up their’s :-/

• Zekiel says:

Do we know it has UPlay? Call of Juarez: Gunslinger didn’t, even though it was published by UbiSoft. (Admitted that seems a rare or possibly unique exception, but I hold out hope nonetheless)

• Emeraude says:

Last I checked, looking into buying the limited edition box, that’s what Amazon had to say about it: Uplay account required for game activation and installation.
        So yeah…

• Zekiel says:

Dammit!

(I actually haven’t had any horrible experiences with UPlay. But I’ve heard enough stories that I would really prefer not to have to deal with it.)

8. Hypocee says:

Child of Light looks great and you can’t do anything about this, but I think you need to know that every every every time, no matter how many times, RPS posts about Child of Light my brain thinks Child of Eden is somehow coming to PC.

9. capntao says:

ok since this is likely the only time you guys turn into Rufus Paper Shotgun here goes:

the current Rust theme song:

is a straight up rip from Rufus:

i mean same key and everything.
    somebody tell Garry before somebody throws up the Rufus signal and they end up with a FABULOUS lawsuit.

Comment on this story