Worst Thing Or Best Thing? – Call Of Duty Snoop Dogg DLC

By Nathan Grayson on April 16th, 2014 at 9:00 am.

This is not a joke. This is real.

But maybe it is also still a joke.

And you thought Dota 2 got good announcer packs.

RPS rarely posts about Call of Duty’s endless dripfeed drizzle parade of DLC, but this is just… surreal. It is the actual Snoop Dogg (or Lion; it seems he goes by either these days) contributing his unmistakable tones to Call of Duty: Ghosts. We live in interesting times. I can only assume this means CODOG will appear on a Snoop Dogg record next.

I can’t tell if all parties involved are jumping the shark or sticking an Olympic-caliber landing on the very tip of its dorsal fin. If nothing else, Call of Duty’s particular brand of taking itself way too seriously but not seriously at all is certainly… something. Also, money. Money pretty clearly happened here. You have to admit, though, that it kind of works. I dig it, I think. I’m almost surprised it didn’t happen sooner.

The Snoop Dogg voice pack is coming to Xbox on April 22nd and then it’ll come to PC shortly after.  Now when you enthusiastically inform people that Snoop Dogg is always in your head telling you to kill, they won’t think you’re even the slightest bit insane. Hurrah!

__________________

« | »

, , , , .

1. Llewyn says:

• Rizlar says:

But have the two ever been seen in the same room, at the same time? D:

• Llewyn says:

In Ordsall? The mind boggles. Got to consider the possibility that one of them was (or, based on his defensive positioning, is) a cardboard cutout though.

However I’m somewhat relieved to see from other images on that page that I’m not alone in seeing a certain resemblance.

• toxic avenger says:

I must be missing something here. There must be something more to this than they look alike, right? Not seeing it if that’s all there is :O

• Dances to Podcasts says:

The big elephant (well, lion) in the room here is that Snoop is indeed everywhere.

• Hahaha says:

“Are we sure this is actually Snoop Dogg Lion? The still for the video above makes me think it’s more likely to be Rio Ferdinand with the hair and beard customization DLC.”

Wow, that’s allowed but talk about woman in games OMGWTFBBQ…… sort it out

2. Drake Sigar says:

They should sell celebrity voice packs. Next up, Daniel Day-Lewis?

3. FurryLippedSquid says:

That’s terrible.

I used his voice for sat-nav a few years back, that got old fast.

4. Gap Gen says:

So hip, so hood.

• SuicideKing says:

He couldn’t even look the camera and say it.

• TacticalNuclearPenguin says:

It’s the coolest game in the hood! All my homies play this game!

• Darth Gangrel says:

Lol, that was actually the weirdest part, I think. Is CoD hip and hood? Sure, if Dark Souls is “new age” in a nutshell, what with all of that soul-searching going on in that game :P.

5. kregg says:

But tell me Snoop, am I so money supermarket? At least enough to get this DLC and save time and money while feeling epic?

6. 1Life0Continues says:

“Fizzle Kizzle Strizzle, yo. You gets a Gizzle Dizzle, mah nizzle.”

7. MrThingy says:

“Call ‘o booty”

“y’all”

8. RedViv says:

Nah, I think I will stick with the Predator when it comes to Best Unexpected Dreadlocked Character In A CoD Game.

9. binkbenc says:

Wait, no Drawl of Snoopy/Y’all got Booty/Call me Fruity puns? Fo’shame … ummm… shizzle.

10. P.Funk says:

Well, if anybody had any doubts that all credibility has left the mainstream rap scene, behold.

• toxic avenger says:

What are you talking about? There are much better examples to your point than this. Snoops has always been a decent MC and doing this for fans? I don’t see anything wrong with it. It may not be your cup o’ tea, but for many people who enjoy his music, he could have done a lot worse.

11. Trespasser in the Stereo Field says:

I’m still confused why Snoop is considered cool. For 15 years this guy has sold out to more brand name marketing than I care to think about. He’s a walking corporate billboard who sometimes sings about weed.

• Gap Gen says:

So, a perfect match with Call of Duty?

• Stackler says:

The last thing he made something I’d call art, was when he released “Snoop Dogg’s Doggystyle”.

• Spacewalk says:

Rappers selling out? Preposterous.

• derbefrier says:

Rap fans Don’t generally share the same teenage anti establishment, making money Is evil/sellout. Way of thinking that spoiled suburban white kids think is so important in their musical tastes.

• w0bbl3r says:

I’m still confused why people always remember OJ Simpson as the guy who literally got away with murder, when Snoop doggy doo-doo did it first.
      I hate when movies and tv glamorise criminals and scumbags as some kind of cool heroes to be worshipped. What I hate more is when people become millionaires by glamorising it, as these “rappers” do.
      Maybe I’m just old, but “popping a cap in a niggers ass” and “fucking up yo’ beeyatch” aren’t things that should be said by people of influence.
      We hate Abu Hamsa for hate speech, and promoting racial tension, remember?

• phuzz says:

I thought the government hated Abu Hamza for making them look stupid, while everyone else jsut thought he was an idiot for blowing his own hand off?

• Dances to Podcasts says:

It’s because he’s gone beyond cool. He’s become a staple of pop culture, like Mr. T. or Bob Ross or something.

12. hypercrisis says:

This just came across like a modern day minstrel show.

• toxic avenger says:

Don’t say things like this out loud. Your betraying the lie that you know what you’re talking about. This has nothing to do with minstrel shows, does not resemble one, and quite possibly is the furthest thing away from one that includes a black, American man.

• The Random One says:

I agree hypercrisis is exaggerating, but it’s also an exaggeration to say this is ” furthest thing away from [a ministrel show] that includes a black, American man” in a world in which a black, American man has been elected president (of the US!) (twice!)

• pleaseletmecomment says:

“hahaha these are the things black people say hahahahaha hey kids aren’t these black people funny hahahah so ‘hip’ so ‘hood’ ahhaahhaha” – the writers.

13. Stackler says:

Okay, people, maybe I’m a cynical bastard and drinking has killed all my humor synapses, but HOW RETARDED do you have to be, to find this funny? Is there ANYBODY out there who thinks Snoops slang is entertaining?

• SuicideKing says:

Oh No!

• DrollRemark says:

Stoners.

• Low Life says:

Fo’ shizzle.

• merbert says:

This

• toxic avenger says:

No, no. You’re just out of touch. So am I, though. At least I have the self awareness to understand that when things aren’t marketed for me, they aren’t intrinsically stupid, or evil, or not worth perusing. Rap is a universal language, and while it may not speak to you or me, it still speaks to many other people, that take it waaaaay less seriously than you are right now.

• SuicideKing says:

No one’s saying rap is bad, just that Snoop’s slang sounded…not funny, cliched and…dumb. Heck, even in the world of Rap and Hip-Hop, I’m not quite sure I’d sell SNOOP D O DOUBLE G as the most shining example.

Also: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ud_-AuBmp6Q

14. Chaz says:

Why do celebrities feel like they can get away with wearing ridiculous clothes? I mean what is that he’s wearing, a quilted jumper?

• Spoon Of Doom says:

They have enough money that they don’t care at all what people will think about them – people will suck up to them anyway. And they don’t have to be worried about losing their job or not getting hired somewhere because they look like they escaped from the cloth workshop of Arkham Asylum.

• Grygus says:

If I were rich, famous, and bored I might use clothing as a social experiment: how ridiculously can I dress and still have absolutely nobody call me out on it? Who will tell me that it’s cool? Who can I trust?

• Spoon Of Doom says:

That could become a modern fairytale. “The celebrity’s ridiculous clothes”, wherein nobody but a single child points out how silly Snoop Dogg looks.

• Dances to Podcasts says:

One of the basic ideas behind celebrity is that you stand out from the crowd.

15. archiebunker says:

Snoop Dog? Nah, Infinity Ward have missed the trick. Shoulda gotten Three Dog instead. AOOOooOOOooohhhh.

16. Graves says:

Is it a bad thing that I want to start playing DOTA just because of those announcer packs? Seriously, the Bastion and Defense Grid packs make me want to play a game I have up until this point been avoiding. Come to think of it, I also bought War of the Roses solely because of the Brian Blessed voice-over pack. And, while I normally hate Call of Duty, this announcement does make me want to play it. Only ironically, of course… heh….

Oh dear. I have a problem, don’t I?

• Kaeoschassis says:

If you’re telling me that there’s a pack that makes the wonderful Logan Cunningham your DOTA announcer, then no, you do not have a problem. I want that man in EVERY game.

• Graves says:

Seriously. Developers, pay attention: Want me to buy your DLC? Add Logan Cunningham or BRIAN BLESSED to your game in some manner. Doesn’t make any sense? Who cares? The logic centers of my brain aren’t responding due to auditory awesomeness.

17. Asurmen says:

“Annnnnd IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII will always love yooooooouuuu!”

18. Deadly Habit says:

I thought he was Snoop Lion now…

• HadToLogin says:

Doesn’t look like it. Everywhere I read about this DLC, it’s “Snoop Dogg (or as known nowadays Snoop Lion)”.

Even that youtube video says Snoop Dogg.

19. Shooop says:

They know their core audience, gotta give them that.

13 year old stoners everywhere are going, “Duuuuuuuuuuude!”

20. Darth Gangrel says:

Unleash the Snoop Doggs of war and everyone who will Rile(y) or even mutt-er against this shall be hounded like a canine.

21. elmo.dudd says:

“If nothing else, Call of Duty’s particular brand of taking itself way too seriously but not seriously at all is certainly… something.”

Have you played Call of Duty? The single player is a little serious, the multiplayer isn’t. CoD4 let you unlock ragtime mode, good year (enemies exploding into tires on death) and lots of other wackiness. World at War snuck in zombies behind the credits for the fun of it, which turned out to be quite popular. MW2… …well the balance was a joke I guess. Black Ops using explosives strapped to RC cars, tomahawks, crossbows with exploding tips, and a Sticks and Stones play mode. MW3 is probably the most serious of the releases, likely due to it being between multiple developers who were nervous about messing things up, but they still did Infected. Black Ops 2 took Zombies to 11, and Ghosts has all of these easter eggs and tie ins. Having a celebrity do the voice-overs isn’t that far from having terrorists explode into bouncing tires when shot, with film grain at 1.25x speed and a piano soundtrack. Call of Duty has always been silly and serious. They’re game developers, and franchise ones at that, they want to have fun with their work, and they do.

22. Weird Grim says:

tell me when they use Arnold Schwarzenegger
    “I’ll be back”

23. sonson says:

I think he’s an alter ego and the Snoop Dogg character represents the most assured and convincing practical joke of our generation

24. Nixitur says:

Snooping as usual, I see.

25. dudleyisasillyname says:

Well, there were those GPS’s awhile ago that had an option to use Homer Simpson’s voice, so it’s not like it hasn’t ever been done before.

26. Michael Fogg says:

I like his song ‘Air on a G thang’

27. Borsook says:

I have never played this CoD thing, is this a multi-player shooter or does it have some plot and single-player content too?

28. DestroyYourEgo says:

Worst thing? It’s Call of Doody. Best thing? It’s Snoop. Somehow, they are =/=.

What’s next, an Eminem character in LoL? Dane Cook in Dark Souls? Whatever will sell to ARMY (At Risk Male Youths), I suppose…

29. strangeloup says:

Bearing in mind that Infinity Ward produced a fake PSA called “Fight Against Grenade Spam” (no points for guessing the acronym) in relation to Modern Warfare 2, which managed to not only be offensive but also an admission that their own multiplayer was broken as hell, this is about the maturity level I expect from CoD.

Fortunately it meshes well with the average age of the player base, so.