Cardboard Receives Grim Reminder: Attack of the Artifacts

By Ben Barrett on April 16th, 2014 at 3:00 pm.

This might be the first anime reference in RPS title-joke history

See the little guy in the bottom left of the header image there, excitedly throwing his arms in the air about bits of (digital) cardboard? That is exactly how good new cards being introduced to your favourite game feels. While my personal crack Magic goes through yet another spoiler season for its next release, extraordinarily generous free-to-play RPG/CCG hybrid Card Hunter is conquering new shores as well. For the unfamiliar, it combines a D&D style board game with a paper cut-out aesthetic and collectible elements to create an experience both Adam and Alec have sung the praises of. This first addition promises to bring “tough new campaign battles, bizarre new monsters and powerful new cards” along with some other sweet deets you can find below.

Perhaps most interesting (besides the promise of a Sharkbear. SHARKBEAR.) is the tease of Card Hunter leagues – a new multiplayer format designed to reward players a little better for their investment and introduce “inventive new formats.” Devs Blue Manchu are staying a little shtum on exactly what that means but I can only assume the rising competitive scene will be pleased. Holding off the dark descent into yet another card game has already been a challenge and this is threatening to put me over the edge. If you’ve never tried one, given the main worry about Card Hunter seem to be that it gives too much away for free, this might be a good place to start the pleasant, time consuming dive. Sign up’s over yonder.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. Fenix says:

Well, at least it was a good anime.

• Ben Barrett says:

The manga’s better

• psuedonymous says:

I’m missing the reference.

Unless it’s ‘Attack on Titan’ and the only joke is that they both have the word ‘attack’ in it. But I expect a better caliber of pun from RPS.

• Ben Barrett says:

wow :(

Grim Reminder.

Like the Titan. Was a grim reminder to humanity. On that day. Remember.

And they both have two letter conjoining words that begin with o!

Just.

• The Random One says:

Sorry, Ben. You might’ve gotten away with that before Alice joined but now you gotta step up your game. As pun-ishment, for the next three (3) headlines you write you are banned from using any form of humour other than catchphrases from Roberto Bolaño’s seminal television series El Chavo del Ocho.

2. Saul says:

Woot! Card Hunter is one of the greatest games ever made. There, I said it.

Seriously, though – if you haven’t tried it yet, give the single player a whirl. What have you got to lose? The multiplayer needs some work, so hopefully that’s exactly what it’s getting here.

• Lobotomist says:

Definitely one of my favorite games in last few years.

Combination of D&D tactics (Pretty much D&D Chainmail) , old school red box D&D adventures and totally new spin on card games – is simply one of most genre moving original things i seen in long time.

3. frightlever says:

These headlines are all starting to read like Crossword clues.

4. jrod says:

It’s good… real good. It also runs on a potato given you install a screen.

5. DrollRemark says:

I think Card Hunter is the only F2P game where I’ve been obliged to buy in-game currency not because I need it, but purely because I wanted to thank the developers. Not that I’ve ever actually bought in-game currency on any other game, mind, but you get my point.

Comment on this story