Portal 2 Mod Adds Time-Travelling Legs

By Alice O'Connor on April 23rd, 2014 at 2:00 pm.

You don't need money, don't take fame

An oversized revolver, a chunky pump-action shotgun, a bolt-action rifle, and seeing my own legs: the four things I most want to see in first-person games. Perhaps the first three wouldn’t fit too cleanly into Portal 2 but that fourth, yes, certainly! And joy of joys, a new mod has added that very feature, so I spent half an hour this morning running around staring at Chell’s toes as if the mod turned Valve’s puzzle-platformer into Kyphosis Simulator 2014.

I suppose technically the ‘main feature’ in the Thinking with Time Machine mod is a time machine which’ll have you creating time loops to solve puzzles with the aid of your past self, which is great and all but look, LEGS.

FOUR legs!

Thinking with Time Machine gives Chell a shiny little tablet with the magical power of creating and replaying time loops. Pressing R starts recording a loop, Q stops it, then F replays it. In these loops you’ll enlist your past twin to press buttons and move cubes and all that Portal jazz and sometimes, humbly, crouch down and give you a leg-up. At first the timetwin mostly opens doors and press buttons for you, but as puzzles progress you need to interact with their loop more.

It doesn’t appear to be the longest of mods, but the interactions get interesting and I’ll be returning later to finish up. For those lacking in some of the social niceties, it’s perhaps the closest we’ll get to playing Portal 2 co-op. Shamefully I’ve only played the first few co-op puzzles, which I should rectify.

You will of course need Portal 2 to play the mod but, as luck would have it, that’s on sale until Friday for £3.74, less than the price of a pint of reasonable ale in an East London pub.

, , , , .

1. artaeun says:

too bad it’s kinda bugged. Played a few levels then i found myself without the time-war device, and no hands whatsoever

Lord Custard Smingleigh says:

I do so enjoy these unique-mechanic games. So much so that I’m typing this comment from the future.

3. MuscleHorse says:

But when will developers start adding time traveling fingers?

4. Press X to Gary Busey says:

First Person legs in games should be in the constitution.
    Fallout New Vegas and Fallout 3 just got an excellent mod adding the same thing. It’s one of those small things that are so obvious I can’t play without it again.

• Mollusc Infestation says:

First person legs and player shadows. And probably the moon on a stick as well, while we’re asking for things.

jezcentral says:

Also, arms to stroke picture frames.

• CookPassBabtridge says:

First person “whats that blurry thing in my vision oh god theres a bogey on the end of my nose isnt there QUICK WIPE IT OFF HOPE NOBODY SAW” mod or gtfo

• morgofborg says:

Skyrim also has a mod for 1st person body with shadow. You’ll have to go to Neverwinter Nights (Bioware iteration) for a moon on a stick as an item.

• LionsPhil says:

The first Call of Juarez had VISIBLE LEGS TECHNOLOGY. I’m sure there have been others (some much older), but they currently escape me.

Oh, Crysis, I think. Generally pretty good a that kind of thing.

• The Random One says:

The first The Darkness had visible legs, but to balance it out they barely worked.

• Press X to Gary Busey says:

Jurassic Park: Trespasser (1998) perhaps? I just remember the tits when looking down. Even Halo 2 in 2004 but I’m sure there are older examples.

• Shadowcat says:

Trespasser’s visible player model consists only of an upper torso, and a right arm. If you use one of the community hacks to get a third-person view, it’s a bit weird :)

“Arx Fatalis” (released November 2002) had a full body model (as indeed has everything that Arkane has created since).

• unit 3000-21 says:

Iron Storm – The Forgotten Alternate World War I FPS had visible legs as one of its best features.

5. staberas says:

the lack of glados in this game makes me sad…
    I require some verbal abuse to continue the testing…

6. phanatic62 says:

I finished this up last night and enjoyed it, although there were a few bugs (mainly crashes). The last few puzzles required some decent timing which adds a bit of urgency. I had a bit of trouble finding some of the portal walls (or rather realizing that there *were* portal walls and then smacking myself on the head because an impossible puzzle just became a lot easier) which made a few of the puzzles take longer than they should have, but other than that I thought it was a great addition to Portal 2. Definitely worth picking up at the low low price of free.

7. Dave Tosser says:

What’s the best shotgun in video games, anyway? The Flak Cannon and Painkiller shotgun would do but they’re not pump-action. Doom is probably the best in that regard, but I’ve got fond memories of how Fear’s shotgun hits enemies so hard you can breathe in the remains. Soldier of Fortune’s shotguns? Half-Life 2? Resident Evil 4? Call of Duty 2′s trenchgun? Hotline Miami’s shotgun? This deserves an essay-length mediation.

Also, nice toes. YOU CAN SEE YOUR TOES

• Pharos says:

Crysis’s shotgun let you select between narrow and wide spread, making it a viable weapon at medium range–like, y’know, in the real world.

• CookPassBabtridge says:

How the hell did I miss that? Is it squirreled away in the gun mod menu? I literally never saw that in all the millionty and three times I played it.

Then again I rarely used the shotgun, I was more of a scoped assault rifle guy.

• Pharos says:

Been a while, but I believe it’s done via select fire mode, like how you can select between single shot and automatic on the assault rifles.

8. Antistar says:

First-person-leg-enthusiasts-fist-bump!

To put that less awkwardly, I also love it when your character’s body actually exists in first-person games; you can look down and see it, it casts shadows, accidentally kicks things over, etc. It should be standard.

I have a kind of ritual when I first load into a new first-person game: see what the FOV is like, back up against a sound source to see if the surround sound is working, and look down to see if my character has legs.

9. Chas says:

7 Days to Die had legs until a recent update removed them. No explanation was given. I really don’t understand this…everybody else in the game has legs, so why not you?