To Arms Brothers! Space Hulk Adds Co-op

By Alice O'Connor on May 20th, 2014 at 3:00 pm.

He who stands with me shall be my brother.

Shhh! Read this in silence. If Alec catches wind of it, he’ll start babbling “Space Hulk Space Hulk Hulk Space Spulk Hace Spalk Ace Ace Ace Ace” all over again, his face flitting between ecstasy and agony, and we’ve only just got him settled since the last Space Hulk news. Shhh. Quietly round up a few battle brothers and let them know that Space Hulk’s long-promised co-op has arrived in a new patch today. Actually it’s a cooperative-competitive mode, pitting several Space Marines against one Genestealer.

The 3v1 mode puts three Space Marine players in command of one Terminator squad each, while the Genestealer player directs all the nasty crawling blighters. Hive mind, y’see. It’ll work with all multi-squad missions. Today’s update also gives multiplayer a “complete overhaul,” developers Full Control say, with a new lobby system to help players find each other for violence.

Accompanying all this is a new five-mission DLC mini-campaign, Harbinger of Torment. It’ll send Space Marines off to stop a hulk smashing into a planet, and I suspect that maybe, just maybe, the derelict will have a Genestealer infestation. It costs £3.99 on Steam.

Space Hulkers, how have you found the game lately? It was in a sorry state at launch, upsetting both Rab and–shhh–Alec, but Full Control have released a fair few patches since then. What’s it like now, y’all?

, , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. BarryAllen says:

Was pretty disappointed with this when I tried it. I also want to know how the fuck they managed to make the Space Wolves look so fucking lame.

2. Ace Rimmer says:

Picked it up from the humble jumble and spent a few hours with it the other week; it is … not as bad as I’d feared? Far from great, but tolerable if you’re into that sort of thing. Haven’t tried the MP.

3. Lemming says:

Do the genestealers still do a generic ‘slash,slash’ effect and the Space Marines then topple over as if they are feeling a bit feint? If so, I won’t bother reinstalling it. If there’s any point in turning a board game into a video game, it’s visual effects and animations.

soulblur says:

Feinting doesn’t really strike me as a Space Marine style. They more attack attack attack die.

4. mashkeyboardgetusername says:

I very much enjoyed the game, kept me on my toes, especially as later missions were designed to counter my favourite “put someone with a storm bolter on overwatch facing down every corridor” tactic, and I felt pretty pleased with myself whenever I beat a mission. Pretty darn decent AI, for the most part.
    Bit of advice for anyone: up the animation speed in the options, it makes the terminators stomping about look more sensible and (IMO) doesn’t have that frustration of waiting all the time. (Don’t go for the fastest setting though, if you misclick you may not be able to undo in time.)

Anyhoo, so far all the DLC for Space Hulk has been on my See How Cheap It Goes In The Next Sale list (which is quite a long list at the moment), this latest bit will probably be the same. Hadn’t tried its MP, but this could be interesting enough for me to give it a shot. I’d love it if some of the missions were pseudo-competitive between the marine players, with them having different conflicting objectives but needing to help each other out to survive all the ‘stelers (especially now different chapters are a thing), but doubt that’ll happen.

5. po says:

Any chance of a mini re-review of the main game? Seeing as the price hasn’t changed since it launched, it’s hard to justify a purchse when it got so many <60% reviews.

On the other hand, if the changes have improved the game significantly, then it might actually justify that price.

Stellar Duck says:

Quick review:

It’s Space Hulk: The Board Game – The Computer Game. That’s basically it. I’m not entirely sure what people wanted it to be, but that’s what it is.

They’ve added an option for animation speed, though I personally never had any issues. But it’s there. It’s also stopped over heating my gpu, so that’s swell.

• DrGonzo says:

It’s really not though. The descriptions in the board game are fantastic. Each time you roll the die as a space marine, that’s one shot, and then genestealer inches closer. These aliens are flying down the corridors faster than Usain Bolt, running along the walls and ceilings. You roll the die again and there’s just enough time to take another shot. In this, he sprays wildly, the genestealer trundles along. It’s completely missing the urgency and atmosphere of the boardgame, which is what makes it such a good game.

If the Genestealer gets you, one slice and it rips through the space marine cutting him in half, he lets out one last scream ‘For the Emperor!’ and paints the walls with his intestines.

I can’t quite put it into words, but it’s my favourite boardgame, and I hate hate this lazy port of it.

• Ramshackle Thoughts says:

It’s on the cheap at the Humble Store right now. Part of their Spring Sale

• Moraven says:

The game would have reviewed a lot higher at Patch 1.2. At release it had a lot of rough edges which they remedied over a couple months. I have had a lot a lot of fun with it.

6. Tusque D'Ivoire says:

Bionic Dues is also a good appoach on the theme, if that slightly different style tickles your fancy…

7. Donkeyfumbler says:

It’s £4.49 at the moment on the Humble store (for another 18 hours or so) so I’d also appreciate some updated thoughts as to whether all of the updates have made for a better game, or was it so fundamentally flawed that it was beyond saving?

I’ve never played Space Hulk (board games or PC) but I do like me some turn-based strategy in the vein of X-Com and similar – does that mean I should give it a punt?

• elhisai says:

I’ve bought the game without the extensions, played the full campaign and I had a really good time with it, at full original retail price, the graphic quality was a little too low and it missed a bit of content. for £5 I think you wont regret your money : according to patch notes most of the bugs have been ironed out (never got any in the first place), the IA is decent, it’s easy to handle but as you progress wih more units and psy abilities there’s some different strategies you can try (honestly all the points of original RPS review like door visibility, very slow pace never bothered and in fact the thing about missing all the excitement when stealers get closer to your overwatch marines is there, I have stories of a single marine I left behind to die and cover for his brothers who somehow managed to kill dozens of stealers and get to the exit, terminators dying on first turn due to bad roll, the fact you dont see the actual dice doesn’t bother me like the original reviewer, I still felt the weight of my bad luck or the greatness of the miracle when beating 4 stealers in melee againts all odds )

• Moraven says:

It was not terribly flawed at release, but more full of annoying bugs, even one that stopped progress in a campaign mission.

Ever since patch 1.2 ages ago, all the major bugs were gone and you had the option to speed up animations, a major complaint. All the early positive impression RPS gave shined again.

• Donkeyfumbler says:

Thanks. Now I just need to decide between the PC version at £4.49 or the Ipad one that has just been dropped to £2.99 – decisions………

• tarasis says:

Both :) Bear in mind that you only need to buy the DLC once, and you can then use it on both PC/Mac & iPad. (Its tied to your Multiplayer account, once you sync the unlock is tied to your account and when you next sync/logout-login on the other platform, you gain all the unlocks)

I will play more on my comp once its more capable, but in general i play on the iPad which I find to be a great experience particularly as I don’t have to listen to the fans of my MBP whirring & I can pick it up and put it down as I want.

• Donkeyfumbler says:

That’s good to know, thanks. I’ve gone for iPad first as I have more than enough decent games on my PC already that I have yet to play, but may pick up the PC version next time it’s on sale if I get into the game.

8. GamerDad says:

Worth buying when it goes on sale?

9. XhomeB says:

Do the Genestealers still make the corpses disappear when they stomp on them? Or was that eventually patched out?

10. malkav11 says:

Coop? Ooh.

“One player plays the genestealers while the rest play marines.” Oh, so not coop then. Oh well.

11. bill says:

Are there decent death animations for Terminators yet?