Death Is Cheap: Teleglitch Updates, On Sale

By Adam Smith on May 21st, 2014 at 6:30 pm.

I don’t normally post about patches and I don’t often post when a single game goes on sale. Teleglitch is an exception though, particularly when the update is as beefy as the one that just landed. As well as tweaking the strength of various weapons and the difficulty of some levels, the patch adds an arena mode, which contains four chapters of challenges that provide specific load-outs and waves of enemies to destroy. Teleglitch is what happens when Dark Souls takes its training wheels off so expect those arenas to reach out of your monitor and slap you across the face. The game is currently discounted in a week-long Steam sale, which puts the price at £3.06. Here’s wot we all thought about it.

, , , , .

1. ColCol says:

Lost interest in this, the initial game-play became tedious after a few plays. Keep running in circles and knifing aliens/

• kalidanthepalidan says:

I felt the same. Enjoyed the first handful of playthroughs, but then it just felt to repetative. And I wasn’t really interested in learning how to knife enemies efficiently.

• Frank says:

Yeah, this game actually believes that games are about learning and mastering systems (as some douchey game-design theorists have claimed). It may be true to some extent, but not if learning means dancing around the spinny AI it took them 30 seconds to code.

• Reapy says:

I didn’t even get too far in the game because I saw in the early game the whole point was to basically not shoot anything. I kept thinking how much more fun I would have in this game if I could shoot at things, which I guess might cut down on the ‘horror’ aspect of it but really the whole circle strafing thing was so tedious and boring I couldn’t face another restart.

• Philotic Symmetrist says:

Ditto, although as far as the horror aspect goes I think it would have worked better if melee was not such a comfortable option at the start; trying to stab all the monsters for the entire first three levels should get me killed. The need for careful ammo management can be interesting, gaming the system to avoid ammo management is not.

Sunjumper says:

It’s gotten alot better with the latest patches.

The game is now a lot more about actually playing it rather than gaming it like the previous version.

• DXN says:

No, the knife is meant to be a last resort, as it should be. If you pay attention to using the right tool for the job and managing your resources carefully, so that you’re taking down enemies with the bare minimum of ammunition, then you can get through it using guns all the time. I did! And it seems to me that that’s where the fun of the game is. Well, that and the insanely oppressive atmosphere.

2. internisus says:

I’m very excited about arena mode because I expect it will give me the chance I need to practice using weapons so I don’t freeze up and fail to let all of the great equipment I’ve gathered save my life once I reach the later stages (by which I mean, like, stage 4).

3. Crusoe says:

It’s very much worth mentioning that the update prior to this saw the implementation of a lighting system to the game, which massively improves upon the atmosphere.

• stele says:

I’ll be interested when they add a “Hey, I have a life and have to go do something else right now – please save my progress where I am” feature.

• jonahcutter says:

I love this game and do play it. But this, so much this.

There is no good reason for not allowing a save-on-quit function in a game. I don’t play on the developers’ schedules. I play on mine.

Sir, You Are Being Hunted is another offender here. A unique, idiosyncratic and compelling experience. Yet along with Teleglitch, it’s another game I sometimes don’t play even when I want to. Solely because I may want (or need) to walk away from it immediately. Not when the devs tell me it’s ok.

4. poetfoxpaul says:

Man, I’m so excited for this update. Teleglitch is still one of the favorite games, and I have yet to uninstall it from my library.

As mentioned elsewhere, if you haven’t played it since release there was another update that changed the graphical engine. Dear god is it beautiful! And moody. Sometimes the lighting plays a role in the gameplay itself – obscuring enemies or pathways. It was an awesome update to an already awesome game.

Sunjumper says:

This makes me curious enough to have another look at it. I loved the original version but was completely turned of by the Die More edition which somehow manged to edit away everything that was good about the game.

[Edit]
    So I overcame my distaste for the Die More Edition. Turns out that was a great idea.

At least in the early levels the balance is considerably better than in everything but the old version. The atmosphere is top notch as always and the graphical tweaks help reinforce this even more.

Getting through a level still involves caution and tactics but now when I leave the level I am not left as before with two guns and no ammo but a small arsenal with with enough ammo to keep my hope alive.

This is a incredible improvement to the game and people who only know the Die More Edition should give the game a second chance now after the update.

6. Casimir's Blake says:

Loved the Desura version, loathe the Die More edition with a passion.

It feels as though it SHOULD be same game but all the fun has been siphoned from it. It’s almost the same, but not quite. The balance is shifted towards pain, pain and usually runs ending with excruciating monster mob rape. Seriously, this game throws enemies at the player without providing nearly enough ammo to deal with them. It’s certainly hardcore, but no longer fun as a result.

Shame, it’s still incredibly atmospheric and there’s nothing quite like it. Mods help to redress the balance, though.

Sunjumper says:

I feel your pain. I hated the Die More editon for being such a harsh game pushing you towards a few pre defined solutuions (which were boring as hell) and punishing you for everything else and I hated it all the more because the version that came before it was so utterly fantastic.
      But as mentioned above the newest version feels a lot like the classic variation of the game. I was very postively surprised when I gave it another go.

At least in the early levels playing Benny Hill with all the monsters in a level to kill them with a bomb or two to conserve ammo to running around in circles to stab monsters to death is not a neccessary tactic anymore.
      Also the atmosphere has greatly benefited from the tweaks to the games engine and is even better than before.

7. johnerick says:

GO TO AUTOMATED MONEY KIT NOW EMobile Code review

8. xaphoo says:

This is maybe the only game I’ve ever thought was too hard to have fun playing. Too bad, because I like the top-down Quake 1 atmosphere.

9. unwashed says:

Wooooooo hell yeah Teleglitch! I started playing it shortly after Die More Edition hit and I’m still at it. The main draw for me is that the playthroughs are always tense no matter how many times you’ve beaten it. The patches have improved it greatly, adding fantastic lighting effects and a LOT more randomization, which makes every run extra unpredictable. I personally like the melee combat but if you hate it, you just need to unlock the first shortcut, which entails getting to level 5 once and will allow you to start at level 3. It’s mostly gunning enemies down, level 3 and up (down? Sideways?)

I’ve been posting these runs on the Tube over yonder, along with challenge runs and (miserably failed attempts at) speedruns. Go take a look if you’re into that sort of thing. There’s lots of pointers scattered throughout if you’re having trouble with a certain section. LINK!

10. Crane says:

I bought this months ago, and it simply won’t run. Crashes instantly on start-up.
    The patch has not changed things.
    This issue occurs for several users, according to the forums, and the developers have thus far been unable to find a fix.
    Be wary.

11. bill says:

So, everyone says the first version is better than the Die More edition, but the Die More edition seems to be the one on sale everywhere. Does it allow you to play in the original mode? Is there a way to get the original mode?

• Thepixellated says:

Die More edition is the version of the game that was published by Paradox interactive. The “original mode”, as it is referred to, is the game that the original developers released on their site and on Desura among some other sites. When Paradox became the publisher, they developed the DME with the original devs.

Sunjumper says:

The original version seems to be gone.
      But the Die More edition after the patches now resembles the old version with various extras so that if you are interested you can go ahead and buy the game.

There is also a demo on Steam which you can try first.

12. Radiant says:

To knife monsters all you need to do is make a small hole big enough just for you in one of the secret walls and voila you’ve created a kill gap.

But you only really need to do that to prepare for the ambush creatures that stream out of the pipes.
    All the other goons you just have to kill with the correct weapons.