Mojang Disallows Money-Making Minecraft Perks

By Nathan Grayson on June 7th, 2014 at 8:00 pm.

A lot of money is being made from Minecraft – and not just by Notch, who I believe recently purchased kingship over all of Sweden. Playing god block-by-block is hard work, so naturally people have started charging for third-party services and perks that enhance the game experience. Problem is, Mojang seems to think that skirts a little too close to the murky territory of individuals who didn’t make the game charging for said game, so they’ve laid down some ground rules.

Pay-to-perk servers, as some players have taken to calling them, have become fairly popular, but a number of chatlogs posted in a Reddit thread point to Mojang making its EULA a bit more strict. Mojang’s Erik Broes explained:

“You cannot make money with Minecraft without our permission… If you are on a server, your experience should be the same as every other player. We just do not want people to mix the pools of ‘paying people’ and ‘nonpaying people’.”

The EULA doesn’t make that remotely clear right now, which is why it will likely require some tweaks. Of course, Broes’ current stance has left people worried that any sort of paid server will soon be disallowed. Notch, however, cleared things up on Twitter:

“You can charge for hosting servers, but not for gameplay features.”

So there you go: no more buyable perks. Level the playing field or don’t have a playing field at all. Apparently Mojang plans to enforce this with lawyers, so probably don’t break the rules unless you just recently bought king/queenship in a nation worth as much or more than Sweden.

, .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. TillEulenspiegel says:

Good. The dark side of “free to play” and microtransactions is something Notch has been outspoken about, so it’s no surprise to see him doing whatever he can to prevent people from crapping up his game with that nonsense.

• Chalky says:

Yeah – and it’s pretty reasonable from what I understand. They’re not stopping people from providing hosting services or charging for hosting or access to hosting, they’re stopping people from selling pieces of the game when it simply isn’t their game to sell.

• rainbowgames says:

He cant do this to mod pack servers can he? And what happens if u have allready payed like 100$? Do u loose the perks and the rank thats a scam if so and i would b willing to fight to get my money back

2. Sinnaj63 says:

So I guess people will now have to stop giving users minor rewards for donating to pay the server’s sever? I mean, is there anyone who makes enough money out of Minecraft servers to justify something like this anyway?
    And if Mojang actually send outs lawyers, the last bit of respect I had for them will be gone. It’s not like one couldn’t have seen this coming tough.

• KDR_11k says:

From what I’ve seen it’s not just a donor badge we’re talking about but what amounts to F2P level purchases. Like “your railgun shoots faster in instagib”. There’s so many “rewards” out there that it’s really starting to look like a store, not a donation appreciation.

• Shodex says:

As somebody who used to run a server, this kind of thing was something I very adamantly fought against. Donations were how we kept the server afloat and the only way to keep most people wanting to donate were rewards. As the “community manager” of the server, I worked the closest with the playerbase and the economy. So I took it upon myself to chose how donation rewards worked, so it would end well for everyone.

I took a lot of inspiration from Runescape, actually. While Runescape blocks off a lot of content, one thing Runescape does well is keeping that content detached. This was something I kept in mind when setting up rewards. Instead of giving players ingame items for gold that they could then use to have an advantage, we did the obvious aesthetic choices of Donator titles and capes.

But I also had something else set up. Exclusive portions of the server were cordoned off for donators, sort of “high class society”. This is what I pulled from Runescape and the fact that Runescape fences off the Member areas and makes Members go to their own separate servers if they want to do non Free play stuff. It cuts down on the e-peen waving.

Regular players (of a certain rank) could enter the donator zone, but only donators can modify it. The nice thing about this was that since the community was about 40-60 regulars, most of them had donated. So all the Donators had this space they could build away from the “common rabble” without fear of being griefed by some kid who just joined. A gated community, as you will.

I also hosted multiple events and contests, some of the more elaborate ones were limited so that only donators could enter. This again helped with trust among the contestants. And since a lot of the contests had limited slots (the weekly building contest had only 4 contestants) it helped make sure that the slots were given to actual players and not some newbie who’ll just waste it being an ass.

In short, the idea was the keep donation bonuses out of the regular players’ faces, while also working in a way that overall made the community a better place. Not sure in hindsight what the point of rant was, but maybe somebody will be interested in seeing my two bits on how I dealt with this ever present issue in gaming.

EDIT: I’ll mention that this was a few years ago now. Minecraft was still in beta. The server might actually still be up, but I’m not involved with it. This was long before exploitative Minecraft servers were such a plague.

• Omroth says:

“Donations were how we kept the server afloat and the only way to keep most people wanting to donate were rewards”

That’s not… that’s not DONATIONS then is it. That’s selling something.

• Shodex says:

No, I know. But our main playerbase was below the age of 13. Have you ever tried to get somebody below the age of 13 to invest money in something out of the good of their heart, that doesn’t bring them immediate gains? I made another comment below mentioning this as well.

We couldn’t make enough money per month on donations without rewards. Setting up rewards was work, so initially yeah we just took donations with nothing in return. We got some. But for the most part it was lots of kids asking, “What do I get if I donate?” and “If I donate can I get this?”

I mentioned below, I received $200 over PayPal from a kid demanding admin status for the money. I returned it of course and he was denied. But that was when we decided to set up a rigid rewards system.

What I wanted to make sure of is what people were buying was a.) Not giving them a direct advantage over free players, and b.) Not reselling a portion of the game they would otherwise have, all of the donator bonuses were things we designed just for the server.

• dE says:

Children below the age of 13 don’t readily cough up extra money, for a game they’ve already been bought, so you implement a system to get them to cough up extra money? Ehh, I’m not sure I agree with your ethics there. Maybe I’m misreading you there and you’re not in fact exploiting children – but everything you wrote seems to be aimed at extracting money from children.

• Shodex says:

We only ever made enough money to just break even, and on the off chance that we made more than we needed per month it would go straight into the pool for next month. Making money was never the goal.
            We just wanted to have a place to play Minecraft with people on a server run the way we liked it and I enjoyed hosting events. Like I said, the donation benefits came as a demand. Initially it was just a donate button on the website, but players started wanting rewards for the donations. Admin rights, god mode, etc. So we set up rewards in a way that gave donators something in return, without shoving it in free players faces.

I should add that getting donator status didn’t cost like $50 or anything. It was pay what you want. Every month, even if you only donated some pocket change you’d upkeep a donator status. We got some large donations, but must of them were small. Selling a $10000 donation kit or whatever that one server was doing is disgusting. We just wanted our players to pitch in a little to help us keep the server running, I don’t see harm in giving our regular donators a little special treat.

Edit: I should say that they were willing to give up money, but they didn’t like the idea of donating and not getting bonuses. Since that is how every other server handled it. Before we added a donation system all the time we got emails like,
            “hi, if i donate $5 what do i get?
            “how mudh donashion do i need to buy admin?”

• P.Funk says:

@dE

You’re so full of crap and clearly never tried to operate a community while having to pay bills in said community.

Shodex’s post shows a great deal of ethics. He managed to incentivize his community to donate and help support the servers without turning it into an evil castle of doom for asshole children.

If you’ve ever tried to get a server paid for any game you’d soon realize how fast it becomes a matter of either coming up with some brilliant PR campaign to get people to pitch in or you just get one guy to pay for everything and he ends up being king god overlord with his finger on the button.

• Coldyham says:

Well said, and, it seems, well done. One group of my friends tried to set up a server entirely to make themselves money from perks bought and another attempted to pay for theirs entirely by own funds and non-incentivised donations, but both failed (although the first ironically won a school enterprise prize). there does need to be some system, and yours sounds like it worked.

• rustybroomhandle says:

I believe what got their attention was when they learned that there were servers out there selling kits of up to $800. Supposedly one of them sold a $10000 minigame kit – not sure the details.

• AaronLee says:

Wow, seriously? $1,000?!!

I mean, still, I wouldn’t throw the baby out with the bathwater, though. My regular server’s been doing donation rewards for years, I wonder if they’d ALL have to be dropped. It was stuff like fly for donators, but also for members who’d been nominated by respected people on our server as good builders. So I guess it’s kind of muddy.

• dE says:

I was oblivious to this too, before this blew up. But yes, it seems that people are indeed making money off this, with methods aimed specifically at exploiting children. These servers are reselling parts of the game or access to special priviledges. Basically all the nasty bits of Freemium mixed into Minecraft. They’re also evading taxes on that and when shit does hit the fan, Mojang is the one being attacked for it, which seems to happen with increasing frequency.
      So they chose to stomp on it. Big servers can still accept donations, just not charge money for items and similar.

• Sinnaj63 says:

Let’s hope only those exploitative servers get banned, and the “normal” ones that can only survive through people donating(And being motivated to donate through minor perks) stay. Almost everything gives you something back for donating nowadays!

• FataMorganaPseudonym says:

Out of curiosity, how is “the ability to keep playing on this server I like due to it not having to be shut down because of lack of funds” not “something back for donating”? Why should one necessarily need or expect something in-game as well?

• Shodex says:

In theory you’re right, but you’re speaking with the level head of a not-eleven-year-old.

Youngins want immediate gratification when they spend their parent’s hard earned cash. Certainly there are many donators that were just in it to help the community, but most of them were just looking to buy power-ups and godmode. I have no idea where the money came from, but I refunded a $200 donation from this kid saying he wanted admin rights for it. The idea that without donations our server wouldn’t exist didn’t even compute with them.

RobF says:

“I’ve had experience running a Minecraft server and believe me, those kids don’t understand the mutual benefit of donations. Maybe they think that if they don’t donate somebody else will anyways, which wasn’t the case we just barely broke even each month.”

Or, bear with me on this one because I know it’s a bit out there and stuff, maybe it’s because they’re kids?

I dunno. Seems a bit wild and stuff but maybe that’s the problem here. Maybe it’s “you’re trying to charge kids for using a server” that’s the problem not the kids not understanding a donations model.

• Shodex says:

@RobF
            Please scroll up and read my post about how I handled the donation system before accusing me of charging kids to play on our server. That’s something we never did. I made a very conscious effort to make sure free players never felt like they were being forced into donating.

I had worked very closely with our regular player base, especially our free players, to make sure they’re happy.

RobF says:

Wait. No. You’re muddying it here. If your “playerbase” is mainly 13 or below and you are asking that playerbase for money then you are asking kids for money to cover the costs of the server. Even if you’re not profiting (greatly) from it, you’re still asking kids here. Look…

” But our main playerbase was below the age of 13. Have you ever tried to get somebody below the age of 13 to invest money in something out of the good of their heart”

No! I haven’t. And do you know why I don’t do that? Because they’re kids. I understand that kids don’t have a grasp on money the same way grown ups do. You seem to have that grasp too but rather than think “hmm, maybe asking kids isn’t the best way to do this”, you run with “well, I just find a way to give the kids what they want to get the money from them” and THAT is absolutely the problem here.

Like, you absolutely had to add perks because how else would you get money from the kids to cover the server they’re playing on? You’re trying to monetise kids to cover your server costs, KNOWING that they’re kids, KNOWING that you’re fully aware it’s likely their parents money. When you get a large donation you don’t know where the money is coming from, you don’t know where it’s coming from with the small ones either but they don’t count or something because they’re only small and the kids asked for perks so you were just giving them what they asked for because how else would you get kids to give you money?

The problem here is DEFINITELY not the kids, dude. Maybe if you’re running a Minecraft server and you know that its kids using it (as is the perils of anything with Minecraft in general) and the only way you can cover your server costs is to charge the kids not pool money from grown ups somehow, maybe you need to rethink that because y’know, kids.

• Shodex says:

Whatever dude, I’m not going to sit here and be lectured on the ethics of something I did years ago by somebody who wasn’t even there. I never forced players to donate, I never withheld players ability to play if they didn’t donate and if the donation pool for that month didn’t meet it’s quota guess who the last person to donate that month was? Me. I worked very closely with our small community, everyone was happy with the way donations were handled (the regulars who donated and the regulars who didn’t alike), and if anyone had a concern or complaint I made sure to hear them out. And perhaps if you actually were there you’d see the effect our donation rewards had on the community. We cut back on griefing, trust between users grew much stronger, and the overall satisfaction of the players had gone up.

I want you to look through my posts and see if you find the word “incentive”, I never say it. Why? Because I was never incentiving players to donate. I was rewarding those who did with things they wanted. If rewarding regulars and loyal players with some extra fun to be had that did not effect the way our free players enjoyed the game is a crime, than by gods arrest me now.

But don’t throw around insults and pretend like you were there. I’m sorry you’ve misinterpreted everything I’ve said and painted this Hitlerian image of me in your head, but the happiness of players and quality of community were the two things that I kept in mind when I made every decision for that server. No advantages were given to donators, and no parts of the game were resold. Outside of the ability to change the colour of your name, the only advantage players got for donating was access to a separate instance for donators and the ability to enter the regular contests that had more limited entry slots.

I couldn’t afford to keep paying for the server on my own, but I wanted to keep running it now just for myself but for the people who enjoyed playing on it. Every month I pitched in whatever pocket change I could, and that’s all I ever expected people to do in return (if anything). And our regular donators were happy to also keep their favourite server afloat, because the donation rewards made the game more enjoyable for them. We turned our player base into kids asking for admin and other unfair advantages for every penny they sent to the PayPal, to a player base that got exactly what they wanted out of donating and made for a much more enjoyable experience.

I’m all for the anti-corporate, screw people who extort money from folk just trying to play a game. But for the love of god, you can’t attack everyone who’s ever received a dollar from somebody else. Money isn’t the most important thing in the world, and if we can set up a system where players WANT to spend money and are not forced to I think I’ve done all I have to. We weren’t the first people in history to reward people for donating to something, nor were we the first game server to do that. Donation rewards have existed in games for years and years.

• huldu says:

Minor perks? Are you kidding me, that’s exactly what they’re fighting against. Enough with servers that enforce “donations” by giving players bonuses and what not. Minecraft isn’t a f2p bound by micro-transactions. I hope they go down hard on all servers that have “perks” for donating resulting in benefits in the game world. You donate to a server because you like the server and wish to keep it running. If you donate because the server gives you various perks, major or minor a perk is a perk, if it in any way affects the gameplay the server should be shut down by force, by mojang.

• HadToLogin says:

I think by minor perk he means “your name in different color” or tag or your name in hall of fame or some other cosmetic stuff.

• P.Funk says:

Have you never been out and about in the real world and noticed how many places give some credit or lip service to the people who donate to keep places going? I go to my grocery store and when they ask if I want to donate to research cancer or something they put my name on a heart shaped paper and stick it on the wall with the rest of the donors.

Why oh why must everyone have such a binary view of everything?

• socrate says:

P.Funk thats not the same at all really these are charity…its not for giving you access to something you already have access to…minecraft is a paid game…server aren’t really “for charity”..its to keep a game server running its as nothing to do with charity you are then asking you’re player to pay for a service which you are actually charging for the product of another person which is HIGHLY illegal in any court with any sense of logic in this world.

Why do you think most MMO emulated server are ran by people who hide themself from the law?

The thing people here seem to be missing is the fact that this isn’t an mmo and was never meant to be ran like one…the game is sold with no future cost linked to this…at the end of the day this money is not declared people seem to not understand how much illegal activity with mmo emulated server and such have been active for all these years just look at Diablo 2 item selling and such these were highly illegal and blizz had a really hard time and alots of trouble from all of this or everquest item selling who had even more problem at the time when EQ was really popular and the most popular for various criminal organization was WoW of course with gold seller,botting and emulated server.

so yeah when stuff start to really mess up you wont have much trouble or wont care in the end its the creator or their publisher who the authority will go for,the truth is most people think only about themself and don’t really care…its not like i like mojang…but you have to understand that when stuff go to hell they will get the blame really.

The big problem i have really is that people buy minecraft asking for more payment after this is just illegal as the game isnt an online one,people just adapted it to create mmo and online server by using the online feature of minecraft…that said i don’t mind donation if they don’t offer perk to specific individual but legally…still extremely dodgy if you accept this with past mistake by big company that have learned the hard way..just go read any blizzard eula there is a reason that eula after diablo 2 have changed that much.

• Chuckleluck says:

“Almost everything gives you something back for donating nowadays!” Erm, doesn’t that mean you are buying (warm fuzzy feeling aside), not donating?

• Shodex says:

Minecraft is mostly played by little kids. Little kids can’t get warm fuzzy feelings in their hearts, this is a scientifically proven fact.
            They’re entirely selfish.

• mr.black says:

@Shodex: And I read “..This is sacrificially proven fact.”

• disconnect says:

There’s no real evidence for it, but it is scientific fact

• Danley says:

@disconnect He’s not completely pulling that claim out of his ass. Or at least he wouldn’t need to if he is.

It’s acknowledged as reputable theory that all but the most exceptional children go through an egocentric period of moral reasoning, insofar as you want to give Lawrence Kohlberg that much credit in light of Carol Gilligan’s criticism that his ‘stages of moral development’ were male-centered (because the society in which we orient ourselves is male-centered). But because of this, it is recognized within the Psychology profession that children go through a period where they first learn to navigate social relationships based on how to avoid punishment / gain rewards and make decisions based upon their own self-interest. There is even evidence that many people do not grow out of this stage, and anything they learn about morality they learn in the abstract but do not actually internalize. Meaning, even as they come to understand social norms or laws, they regard them only in terms of their reward/punishment and self-interest.

But kids, as individuals who must develop an intelligence in complex, constructed communities most certainly go through a selfish phase.

• Deadly Sinner says:

In addition, ignorant players or parents were complaining to Mojang thinking that the money they paid for perks was going Mojang. These servers’ business practices are impacting the company in a very real way.

• pottering says:

“is there anyone who makes enough money out of Minecraft servers to justify something like this anyway?”

My guess is he would want to stop this BEFORE someone rakes in the big bucks using his game with F2P practices he is opposed to.

3. SquareWheel says:

Would you at least wait the weekend for the EULA clarification to go out before making a story of this? As of right now, nothing has changed.

The closest thing to an official comment is from jeb_ here: http://www.reddit.com/r/Minecraft/comments/27ga86/-/ci0m7zd

• Bull0 says:

They don’t need to change the EULA, it’s in the current EULA, all there, in black and white, clear as crystal – “You must not try to make money from anything we’ve made”.

• Chuckleluck says:

I’d say it isn’t so clear – server hosting services make money in part from what Mojang has created (the server software), and Notch seems just fine with that.

• Bull0 says:

What they have/haven’t been turning a blind eye to doesn’t change the wording of the EULA, though. No attempts must be made to profit from their work – so if they decide to start enforcing that, that’s basically it as far as I can see

4. Frank says:

Excellent. Those were a real turn-off.

I’d gladly pay $1 to try a reputed server for an hour and then upgrade to a membership or something like that. Hopefully server-runners will explore options like this instead of $1 for a pickaxe; $10 to customize your invincible, diamond-wielding player; and $50 for console commands, or whatever prevails now.

5. DanMan says:

Mojang Minds Money-Making Minecraft Methods

PikaBot says:

Offtopic: these Watch Dogs ads are incredibly annoying when I’m viewing on my phone. If I accidentally touch anywhere it’s boundaries while dragging my way along the page (and its boundaries are ‘most of my screen’ in portrait mode) it expands immediately to fill the entire screen, and cannot be banished without going all the way back to the top of the page, a task made all the slower by the system slowdown this expansion causes.

Gap Gen says:

Part of the thing about Survival Minecraft is that it’s more fun when there are limitations, otherwise just play on a Creative server. If you’re effectively just paying to play a gimped version of Creative in Survival mode, that strikes me as a bit dumb. Then again, like the article says, I suspect it’s mainly targeted at kids rather than adults who might figure this out.

• animlboogy says:

You might not be aware just how complex private MInecraft servers can get. They’re often running games that err more on the side of Ultima Online than a standard Survival Mode game. They’re essentially MMO shards, with totally new gameplay systems. It isn’t hard to see how the popular servers can turn their thousands of users into F2P zombies just like the big boy MMOs do.

Gap Gen says:

Ah, OK, so this isn’t about base Minecraft per se.

• Unruly says:

No, it’s not really about the base game, although some servers do let you “buy” items like that. I played on a Raidcraft server and they had a central hub where PvP was disabled and you could exchange stacks of things like iron ingots, watermelon, etc for their server cash and then buy things like mob eggs, specifically enchanted weapons/armor/tools, etc. It was also the only was to get TNT, which was the only way to damage another player’s territory after they’d claimed it.

Aside from trading in stacks of other in-game items, you could “donate” to the server and get server cash at some incredibly favorable ratio or another, so you could do things like stockpile TNT for a big attack on someone, or buy all sorts of super weapons that let you kill players a lot faster. It made it so that the factions with lots of disposable income were able to do much, much more raiding than the people who had to farm and mine to get their TNT.

And I think that’s the kind of thing that they’re trying to keep people from doing. Don’t use money to give people an edge or cut people out of parts of your server.

8. spamenigma says:

The problem a lot are seeing here is mojang’s sudden aggressive stance against situations like launchers, mods etc.. with ambiguous and weak statements like this.

I really respect mojang and their dev’s.. but some of the comments by their staff in the past few weeks have been extremely blunt or aggressive. No room for debate or finding an understanding in circumstances that are very ambiguous, Instead its almost like an attack on anyone who questions what they are saying. (See twitter).

Overall the way I see it, mojang have not just made a game but accidentally made a game engine, however they have badly stumbled late in the day into a way of saying use our engine but don’t charge for it. technically they are right but have left if very late to clarifying things and are out of order in how they communicate it with their long term supporters.

Some of the comments from mojang to the technic guys have been appalling!

• oozekip says:

If I remember correctly, the people behind the technic launcher didn’t get permission from the mod authors to use them in a pack, and the mod authors themselves got pretty mad, though I hadn’t heard anything about a response from Mojang on the subject.

9. Gargenville says:

If Notch and Mojang are so concerned about ideologically pure Minecraft servers they should host their own.

10. Tei says:

This is wrong. Even if you think Notch is fighting the good fight, this is overstepping their rights. If I am hosting something, I set the rules, If I pay for the hosting, I can ask others to share these cost any way I want.

Nobody can tell me how I share the cost of hosting, thats my business.

• The Random One says:

But you’re using software that Mojang wrote and sold to you with a noncommercial licence. Surely how you use their game is their business?

• P.Funk says:

This is the grey area of the digital realm. How much control do I get to have after I buy something digitally? Are they really reselling the game or just selling a portion of the gameplay experience on a proprietary gaming space for which they have the right to decide who gets in and on what terms?

Mojang is smart to defend their brand against the knock on effects but I wouldn’t say its ethically as clear cut as some think it is. We’ve certainly been inured to thinking about digital rights a certain way, and thats all a good part of the propaganda war that the big’uns fight on public perception.

Its far from clear what consumer rights are with respect to software which they purchase since much of what exists in EULAs is never challenged in court and so has not truly been tested in the legal system to which it owes its perceived strength.

Make no mistake, just because they say “its in the EULA” doesn’t make it legally correct. It just means some lawyers sat down and put it in legalese so that one day they could take it to court and try to make it stand up if they had to. Methinks much of EULAs in a court not totally beholden to corporate lobbying would reject or modify much of it.

• Magnusm1 says:

Says who? You?

Tom De Roeck says:

@ all the people complaining that “OMG ITS SO EXPENSIVE RUNNING A SERVER, PEOPLE NEED TO DONATE”:

Have you considered NOT running a server? This is your hobby, pay for it yourself? Seriously.

• NateN34 says:

@Tom De Roeck

DDoS protection and a server can cost upwards of $600 a month. Not to mention all the labor that goes into maintaining this server.

I’d call that more than a hobby.

• kristian says:

@NateN34

$600 for a DDoS protected server? I run a DDoS protected dedicated Xeon machine with SSD raid and it’s NOWHERE near $600, and that machine can run quite a lot of high-population minecraft servers.

Edit: Also, I pay the bills myself and dont even try to get donations.

• P.Funk says:

So you’re basically saying you have no right to try and host a server unless you have disposable income?

• Shodex says:

Oh please, it’s a lot more work than you’d think to run a game server. And you can’t always afford it.
      Getting help from the community who’s own hobby is to play on said game server is entirely within reason.

You do realize you’re on a website that slaves away every day to give you content, right? You do realize that if everything we did had to be entirely from the goodness of our hearts it’s very possible this website wouldn’t exist, right? That’s what ad revenue is for, and since you aren’t (and shouldn’t be) able to inject ads into a video game, what else is left?

Yeah, it’s great that maybe you can run a server all by yourself without needed financial help. Really, congratulations. Not everyone is as fortunate as you.