Word To The Wiseau: The Room Coming To PC

By Adam Smith on July 23rd, 2014 at 10:00 am.

Oh, how I enjoyed my time in The Room. A hit on cleverphones and tablets, the spooky puzzle game creates as strong a sense of place as almost anything else I’ve ever played. Admittedly, as the title suggests, it’s not recreating a vast wilderness – in fact, the title could well be The Box rather than The Room, since most of the playtime involves exploring the surfaces and secrets of a tricksy container. The long-awaited (and at this point unexpected, by me at least) PC version will have mouse support but it’s the rare game that I’ll probably play on my laptop, with the fondlesome screen. That means braving Windows 8, but a game as tactile and textured as this deserves a personal touch.

As well as the climactic epilogue chapter, which adds to the length but breaks that wonderful sense of place a little, the PC version has revamped HD graphics that “involved recreating almost every asset in the game from the ground up”. Is this the time for a comparison video? Perhaps.

The Room opens its doors on July 28th and I’ll almost certainly be stepping back inside. It isn’t a complex game and in some ways, many of its puzzles are little more than an evolution of pixel hunting, but it has a creepy atmosphere that creates a sense of dread. I like dread and, quite frankly, there’s not enough of it on my hard drive at present. And if this is the evolution of pixel hunting, it’s a very sensible one – like the time little amphibious wormy-things decided they’d go in for some limbs and eyes a few thousand generations down the line.

Exploring objects in The Room, looking for a hidden catch or panel, is satisfying. That really is the best word to describe it. The worst thing about all of this is that I’ve been reminded that a sequel exists and that I haven’t played it. To the Play Store!

No word on whether The Room 2 is coming to PC as well but surely it will if the first sells enough copies to make the transition profitable?

, .

1. Niko says:

The article title is tearing me apart!

G-Lord says:

Of course this has to be announced on PC now, just two days after I finally started playing in on an Android device…

3. Deadly Sinner says:

I haven’t actually played the game, but it seems like it would greatly benefit from a touch interface.

4. Turkey says:

Oh, it’s made by Fireproof games?

They’re my favorite developer.

5. Scumbag says:

I did not play that, it’s not true, it’s bullshit, I did not play it, I did naaaaaaaaaaaaaat

6. Armante says:

I just recently completed this and The Room 2 on my wife’s iPad. Totally worth the few measly bucks they go for.

Satisfying indeed. Sort of Myst-like puzzles (don’t let that put you off) in that you have hidden panels, brass corners to everything. Plenty of fun, and the atmosphere it creates is nice. I do agree it will be better on a touch screen. Being able turn the object, pull open a drawer and so on seems more intuitive and better for a sense of actually being there.

The Room 2 was even better with multiple objects per room. Bit spookier too. I hope they’re making The Room 3..

• frenchy2k1 says:

Seconded.
      I acquired both games through the humble bundle and loved both on Android.
      Short games (2~3h each I think), but quite worth it.

Neat puzzle, great graphics full of ambiance.

7. Tinotoin says:

Good to hear that the PC is getting a version of this. However, after playing both on iPad – I don’t think the mouse will be as involving an interface as the touchscreen. It really is the best example of touchscreen implementation I’ve experienced.

8. Meestasparkul says:

Good Point Tinotoin! Also I’m so happy I have you as my best friend, and I love Lisa so much.

Lars Westergren says:

One neat thing is that they were inspired by real life puzzle boxes popular in the 17th century, and of course the Japanese puzzle boxes.

Here is one from my home town.

• Niko says:

So it’s a rich person’s The Room game? Okay, kidding, it looks great. Wish I could see it close up.

10. FataMorganaPseudonym says:

The really sad thing is that, based on the headline, I came into this article expecting this to actually be about a game based on The Room and I am more than a little bit disappointed that it is not.

Oh well, at least there’s still this game, which is based on the movie.

11. jennifer1 says:

Robot Unicorn Attack

Upon loading up the game and probably startling Google Chrome itself with the absurdness of what I was playing, the word disappointment temporarily fell out of my vocabulary because after even 30 seconds of playing my head was filled with rainbows, amazement, and awe at how simultaneously simple and entertaining the experience was. Aside from the frightening array of colours that would distress even the hardiest of retinas, everything about this game is unbelievably simple and easy to grasp. Taking the fact that you are a mechanical unicorn as given, you are thrown into a bubblegum world of fantasy and sparkle which, upon witnessing it with your own eyes, will make you understand what those Skittles talk about when they bang on about “tasting the rainbow”. As a robot unicorn, your job is to simply run endlessly across terrain, jumping intermittently when the ground beneath you ends and landing on the next platform. The jumps become increasingly difficult as you progress, with terrain and giant star-shaped obstacles getting in your way.

12. mechabuddha says:

I wonder how they will deal with SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER tilting SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER. I can’t really toss around my desktop like that.