Get A Life: The Sims 2 Ultimate Edition Is Free

By Alice O'Connor on July 24th, 2014 at 3:00 pm.

The Hennes Fashion Stuff, my nan calls it, yeah? Gags.

Free! It’s free! The Sims 2 is free! I don’t really know what more to say. The Sims 2 is free on Origin. You’ll get all its expansions and add-on packs too. For free. Because it’s free. It’s all free.

I mean, the technical explanation is that EA have retired support for The Sims 2 and as a parting gift gave everyone who owned it on Origin an upgrade to the all-inclusive Ultimate Edition, but didn’t have an easy way to give that to disc owners too, so they’ve just tossed a free code onto the Internet. But in short: The Sims 2 Ultimate Edition is free on Origin.

Basically, what you need to do is redeem the product code “I-LOVE-THE-SIMS”. You can do that on the Origin site or through the Origin client and you’ll get the whole lot. Yes, Origin is required but surely no one would even consider grumbling about that when all this loveliness is going free?

The Ultimate Edition includes The Sims 2′s 8 expansions, adding everything from pets and holidays to seasonal weather and witchcraft, and 10 Stuff packs, small collections of items. Once that would have cost innumerable squillions of pounds, and even today it’d still be over a hundred quid new.

Say, if you haven’t read Steve Hogarty’s reviews of the H&M Fashion Stuff and the Ikea pack for PC Zone (and their backstory), I think you’d enjoy them a lot.

Ta to reader Ross for the tip-off.

, , , .

1. Low Life says:

Basically, what you need to do is redeem the product code “I-LOVE-THE-SIMS”

Nothing big, just sell your soul to the corporate overlords.

(I just grabbed this an hour ago and it’s downloading as I write this. I will enjoy playing it for twotwelve hours and never touching it again)

2. GAmbrose says:

I will add this to my Origin and NEVER EVEN PLAY IT.

Because that’s what we do with free stuff.

RedViv says:

And with the almost free stuff!

All is Well says:

And sometimes even expensive stuff! ( I’m looking at you, Flaming Cliffs 3)

• Ross Angus says:

Ditto. I’m quite enjoying the Origin and GOG freebies. I never really got Steam trading cards, but this is much better.

3. Sherlock86 says:

I liked The Sims 2. All the features they added to The Sims 3 I never touched, so it’ll be good to go back and enjoy this with all the expansions.

Rizlar says:

Tried playing The Sims 3 a while ago after getting it in a bundle. I had played Sims games in the past, but always in a social setting, never before had I given it a go on my own. And it was confusing as fuck. Vampires here, special quest assignments there, ‘meet me in the library with some baba ganoush’, urine all over the floor etc.

So yeah, it seems like The Sims 2 was the most popular one. Might give it a go, hopefully it is a bit more streamlined and focused on the core aspect of simulating a household.

All is Well says:

To be fair though, “urine all over the floor” can refer to just about every edition of the Sims. I seem to remember that in the first one, they often peed themselves when they got home from work because their “Bladder” stat or whatever it was called continually decreased while they were away, as if they couldn’t use the bathroom at work, and so they would instantly soil themselves the moment they were dropped off back home. Or maybe it was just that I wouldn’t let them use the bathroom in the morning in order to save time.

4. Rao Dao Zao says:

A free game? I’m not that interested, but since it’s free, it’s SIMply irresistible.

• Fenix says:

It’s free? Wright as well download it I suppose. Will I play it? Probably not.

Stellar Duck says:

The simplicity of adding this to your account makes for antsy users though. Must be done in a hurry before EA catches on and stops it.

Rizlar says:

Woohoo, why not!

5. Wulfram says:

So Ikea is 5 times better than H&M

Anyway, I’ve been downloading this since yesterday

6. Rob Maguire says:

Just a heads up, if your gaming time is limited you may want to start the game long before you plan to play. The loading times are atrocious with all of those expansions and DLC. I downloaded this yesterday, and it literally took half an hour to get to the neighborhood selection screen and an additional fifteen minutes to initialize all the expansion content.

• TechnicalBen says:

I think that includes on an SSD too. Did this game ever go 64 bit?
      KSP just got a 64bit update, and along with other tweaks loads snappily now. So it can be done…

• cylentstorm says:

Hmm…it IS a bit sluggish, but then this was a game that originally shipped in 2004 and apparently lacks any post-release optimization for more recent hardware. Anyway, it took about 5 minutes to initialize everything on my 2nd-gen i7.

Runs without a hitch after the introductory speedbump.

maninahat says:

I’m running it in compatibility mode with windows XP, which has vastly increased the loading times up to…sluggish. And then it crashes to desktop when I use the character creator.

• Kieran25888 says:

First.it loads long on startup 2,It loads faster for me on my Windows Vista -_-

Sinomatic says:

Apparently it’s 12.5GB?! Wasn’t expecting that, even with all the extra fluff.

• WaytoomanyUIDs says:

But the sheer level of quality in the H&M and Ikea Stuff Packs! It’s worth the size.

• Ostymandias says:

I have an odd feeling the Confederation of Swedish Enterprise or maybe even the Swedish state might have sponsored the development of those two packs

strange indeed
        or maybe americans just feel a need to simulate the experience of wearing pseudohip clothing and buying shitty assemble-yourself-furniture
        as a swede i am completely nonplussed

• pilouuuu says:

It has a lots of chairs and clothing items! Not counting toddlers & pools.

8. acheron says:

That H&M Stuff review is fantastic.

deadfolk says:

Agreed – best thing I’ve seen today!

Rizlar says:

The fact that some EA higher-up in real life tried to get him sacked for it… perfect.

• rexx.sabotage says:

Hey buddy, I liked both the H&M and Ikea stuff packs!

Crap, I forgot what a value they were, they only cost half as much as the Sims 3 stuff packs and they had double the content. I can invest my denial into something more relevant now, clearly the game’s visuals have not aged well :(

That H&M write up slew me though. it always ends in suicide, doesn’t it?

• AngoraFish says:

sheer poetry

• FrumiousBandersnatch says:

I don’t know, it starts out hilarious, but the suicide at the end takes it too far. I am not complaining because it is tasteless, it’s just that it is so over the top that it undermines it’s own point. Also, the *dump* image is too aggressive and clashes with the passive-aggressive tone of the rest of the review. 5/10.

9. ChairmanYang says:

I appreciate EA’s gesture here, but sorry, I’m still not installing Origin.

• Hahaha says:

You do know they don’t care, actually nobody cares about gamers asinine boycotts.

• ChairmanYang says:

It’s not a principled boycott. I just can’t be bothered to suffer the minimal hassle of Origin for a free game when I have dozens of great games in my backlog that don’t need it.

• Sheng-ji says:

Chairman Yang… a likely story, considering I am the real security officer from the Unity. Now, tell us who you are really.

Lacero says:

He’s an inhuman monster bent on reducing the human population of this website into mindless slavery like you.

There was a problem with the recycling tanks when we disposed of your last immortality clone.

• MacTheGeek says:

Hey, if anyone is going down to the office-supply store later, I’m fresh out of nerve staples. Thanks!

• Press X to Gary Busey says:

Neither do most businesses with “actual” problems, the ones neglecting basic human rights of their workers etc.
        It’s nothing wrong with using the only consumer power we have.

• TechnicalBen says:

Actually, it might be best to pretend install it in like 100 VMs… make the marketing department think they are winning… then when they spend all the money on advertising/pr/more of the same and implode, we know we all did our little bit to help…

PS, it’s the Sims 2. Hoping the game runs without Origin, so you can install then delete the launcher. :)

• kevinspell says:

Last time I had Origin installed was when my friend talked me into playing DS3 coop with him. Putting aside the fact we often couldn’t play because for some reason error message kept coming up that we weren’t logged into Origin, when I tried to actually download the game, for no apparent reason the download stopped after every 100-200MB and required origin restart. So yeah, no thank you…

Chaz says:

Free stuff is always welcome, even if I’ll never use it.

11. BTAxis says:

Sadly it doesn’t seem to actually work for me – it crashes the moment I try to start the tutorial.

12. GernauMorat says:

Those reviews are utterly brilliant

13. Skulmuk says:

Plan of action: install Origin -> start download -> stop download -> uninstall Origin.

I’m always dubious when companies use the terms “free forever”, or similar. In doing the above, I know I’ve got all the free stuff when they decide that enough interest has been generated in the free stuff to make it not free again.

Stellar Duck says:

Oh my! Those reviews were splendid!

I also added this to my Origin. Used to have Sims 2 back in the day but can’t find my disc and never had any of the extra nonsense. Might as well give it a spin as I never got on well with Sims 3 for whatever reason.

phuzz says:

She kinda looks like Lauren Lavern.

16. Person of Interest says:

There was a news story that made the rounds a couple weeks back about Origin scanning its host computer’s running and/or recently-run applications. (Google “origin snooping files”.) Has there been any follow-up from EA?

I can think of harmless reasons why Origin would scan the system in general, or recently-run applications in particular, but I can also think of evil reasons. It would be nice to get EA on record about their intentions.

• Koozer says:

You don’t mean the whole hoo-ha about the terms and conditions saying they reserve the right to rifle through your files do you? If you do Steam has similar clauses, and possibly a million other pieces of software. If you mean something else, then I humbly apologise for wasting your time reading this comment.

17. djbriandamage says:

If you enjoyed the Sims 2 Ikea review I would very highly recommend the PC Gaming Reader, a very cheap Kindle ebook compiling Eurogamer, PC Gamer, and other publications. Some RPS alum have their work published here as well as many other journalists of note. This Ikea review is one of the pieces in this compilation.

-edit-
    In retrospect I realize how spammy this sounds. I’m just a fan, not a profiteer. Future Publishing made this, not me.

18. roryok says:

free is still not cheap enough to get me to play a Sims game.

19. Filnis says:

I would love to play this again,since I haven’t played Sims 2 in ages,I just have to figure out how I get it to run in 1920×1080.I know there is some kind of way,but I’ll be damned if I know how to do it.All these expansions make it horribly complicated,since every expansion has its own .ini.

20. sassy says:

Already had origin from a while ago when they gave a few other freebies. So put in the code and went through an annoying update process that failed on first attempt. Got in only for a pop up telling me I could get Peggle for free right now as well.

I have never bought a thing on Origin but my library consists of:
    Battlefield 3
    Burnout Paradise: The Ultimate Box
    Crysis 2 Maximum Edition
    Dead Space
    Dead Space 3
    Medal of Honor
    Mirrors Edge
    Peggle
    The Sims 2 Ultimate
    The Sims 3
    The Sims 3 High End Loft Stuff
    The Sims 3 Late Night

… I basically haven’t bought an EA game since they stopped putting games on steam. Guess they really want me as a customer

Martel says:

Hah, that list looks a lot like mine and I’ve also never purchased anything from Origin.

• green frog says:

You got all that for free? Pretty generous coming from the “Worst Company in America”.*

*a distinction that merely proved once again that some gamers have no sense of perspective.

• ev1lpengu1n says:

That’s exactly the same as my Origin library. I think Peggle & Sims 2 were free, the other games all come from the Origin Humble Bundle they had a while back.

21. Wulfram says:

It doesn’t appear to actually need Origin to run, once you download it.

22. somnolentsurfer says:

Following that link led me to a login screen that tells me “Origin unifies your gaming life”, which seems to me to be the very opposite of what Origin does.

• green frog says:

I don’t like having to use a redundant service either, but you didn’t really think EA was going to let Valve take a 30% cut of their digital sales forever did you? They’d basically have to be idiots to put up with that when they have the resources to come up with their own system. And so they did.

I don’t mind Origin that much. It’s a perfectly competent Steam clone, which is more than you can say of some other companies’ attempts.

23. phelix says:

Woo, my sister has her birthday in 2 days and she LOVES the Sims. Guess that’s an easy copout for me this year.

24. genericusername says:

“Say, if you haven’t read Steve Hogarty’s reviews [...] I think you’d enjoy them a lot.”

Yeah, not so much “enjoy” as “be intensely distressed by due to a relatively graphic description of suicide”.

Basically what I am saying is regardless of how enjoyable you think that is it needed a fucking warning because holy shit why would you not consider that that (and the similarly “enjoyable” description of physical abuse) might be incredibly upsetting for a lot of people?

I got pretty sick of most video game websites a while back, but RPS seemed to be different. Congratulations on changing my mind about that!

25. Cryasistate says:

Mine came with no neighborhoods or any neighborhood templates to create a new one with… What do I do?!